The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ooops I seem to have a GF1

jonoslack

Hi there
My E3 kit has been languishing for much too long (I loved it, so it stayed, unused in the face of the A900 and M9). So I traded in an E3 body and a couple of lenses, and I seem to have a GF1 with the little 14-45, and the bigger 14-140. I didn't get the 20 f1.7, because I use the leica for low light.

Anyway, I managed to nipped out with the dog for a few minutes after work, too soon to come to any conclusions . . . except that it works, and it's fun to use.

Here are some first shots:

Last edited:

Bill Gordon

by golly Jono, I thought that you had died and gone to heaven, whereever that is but it is encouraging to see you back with the "regular" folk again. How sweet it is to play with all these toys that are on the market and if the truth were told....no one could tell the difference with your photos....they all are fabulous. I hope that you are not working to hard!!

Brian Mosley

Did you not order the bolt on EVF to go with it Jono? :eek:

Seriously, a surprising lens selection... those lenses are a bit big on the GF1 aren't they? The 20mm f1.7 is the best reason to have any m4/3rds body at the moment - regardless of low light capability, the IQ and size is terrific.

Have fun! :thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

Hi Brian
Did you not order the bolt on EVF to go with it Jono? :eek:
:p
Seriously, a surprising lens selection... those lenses are a bit big on the GF1 aren't they? The 20mm f1.7 is the best reason to have any m4/3rds body at the moment - regardless of low light capability, the IQ and size is terrific.
Well, the 14-140 was a bit of a whim, as it seemed so nice to use (and fast to focus).

If I want small fast primes on a good small body . . . then I already have that, and the 20 f1.7, lovely though it may be, is not really likely to compete with the 50 f1.4 on the M9.

This is one of the reasons why I didn't get Pen (with it's IS), because I realised that I'm not going to put primes on this camera - I'm going to use it as a compact point and shoot.

the 14-140 isn't small, but compared to the 24-70 + 70- 300 on the sony A900 it is quite small :)

jonoslack

by golly Jono, I thought that you had died and gone to heaven, whereever that is but it is encouraging to see you back with the "regular" folk again. How sweet it is to play with all these toys that are on the market and if the truth were told....no one could tell the difference with your photos....they all are fabulous. I hope that you are not working to hard!!
Hi Bill
Thank you.
I hope you're well . . .will you be in England next year?

nostatic

How are you finding the colors relative to your Olys? I keep coming close to buying the kit with 14-45, but I can't quite pull the trigger. The images I see online are pretty all over the map. I mostly am interested in the forthcoming Leica 45/2.8. I want my IS...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Like we did not know this was coming. LOL

Congrats bud i have one also just waiting for me in San Francisco on Sunday, should be fun.

jonoslack

How are you finding the colors relative to your Olys? I keep coming close to buying the kit with 14-45, but I can't quite pull the trigger. The images I see online are pretty all over the map. I mostly am interested in the forthcoming Leica 45/2.8. I want my IS...
HI There
I've been shooting RAW and processing in Lightroom (dammit). They seem perfectly okay. I had the kit with the 14-45, for a cheap and cheerful lens it seems to be nicely made .

I'm banking on the fact that Apple will have to join the party . . . and if they don't, then they'll be leaving it (in which case we'll all have to change).

The camera itself seems nice - easy to use, pretty solid.

I'm going to find that macro lens hard to ignore as well :eek:

s.agar

Jono,

Your photos are nice, I liked the 3rd one especially.

I also got my GF1 with 14-45mm today. I hesitated to buy the 14-140mm after reading a review. After using for a while please write your observations. It seems that the tele end suffers most.

On the other hand, the 14-45 kit lens is perfectly usable especially considering the size of the setup. But it's only a 3X zoom. The other one is 10X.

Seyhun

N

nei1

:DNow if youve no further use for it Im willing ,in the case of your M9,to forgive it its sordid past and accept it as a gift on my path to digital nirvana,thankyou yoda.:D

jonoslack

:DNow if youve no further use for it Im willing ,in the case of your M9,to forgive it its sordid past and accept it as a gift on my path to digital nirvana,thankyou yoda.:D
Neil
I had already thought of this, but, I have more respect for your purist philosophy than you do yourself, and so, having paid the piper, the only reasonable thing to do seems to be to keep it for myself.

jonoslack

Jono,

Your photos are nice, I liked the 3rd one especially.

I also got my GF1 with 14-45mm today. I hesitated to buy the 14-140mm after reading a review. After using for a while please write your observations. It seems that the tele end suffers most.

On the other hand, the 14-45 kit lens is perfectly usable especially considering the size of the setup. But it's only a 3X zoom. The other one is 10X.

Seyhun
Hi Seyhun
I haven't spent long enough with the lens to work out how good/bad it is (although I realise that one really does need to give a little rope to 10x zooms).

The 14-45 seems to be splendid though.

Diane B

Hope you have fun with it. The 14-45 is a quite nice little lens and should suit you for those times you need that FL. As always--nice photos--but I wouldn't expect anything less LOL.

I know you say you don't need the 20 for low light, but I'm betting you would like it for its IQ combined with the really small size making that GF1 a really smallish cam---and having one faster lens that's lovely wide open.

Terry

I'm confined to iPhone viewing but I can tell it was another beautiful light afternoon. Nothing truly surprises me anymore. LOL. I hope this is the small camera you've been hankering after. I think on a nice strap strung across your body it will make for an easier horse riding/photo duo than worrying about an M9.

Congratulations - and if it doesn't work out you've the next son will get in line for a hand me down.....or Silas will steal the 14-140 for "his" Pen.

jonoslack

Hope you have fun with it. The 14-45 is a quite nice little lens and should suit you for those times you need that FL. As always--nice photos--but I wouldn't expect anything less LOL.

I know you say you don't need the 20 for low light, but I'm betting you would like it for its IQ combined with the really small size making that GF1 a really smallish cam---and having one faster lens that's lovely wide open.
Hi Diane
Thank you - I hope you're well. Worth getting the camera for the price of entry for you lovely people around here :)
the 20 is tempting, but it's not really any smaller than my 35 summarit . . . the real attraction is having a zoom on something small with decent quality.

N

nei1

Neil
I had already thought of this, but, I have more respect for your purist philosophy than you do yourself, and so, having paid the piper, the only reasonable thing to do seems to be to keep it for myself.
Thankyou oh wise one,..........I am saved,................praise be!!

simonclivehughes

... it's not really any smaller than my 35 summarit . . .
Jono,

I see your logic, but the 20 really is magical and it has AF which can come in handy for more relaxed/stealthy captures. I'm having a good time seeing what the face recognition focus mode can do with this lens, especially wide open.

BTW, I love that cloudscape!

Cheers,