Site Sponsors

Thread: Poor man's Nocti (GF1)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Poor man's Nocti (GF1)

As a hobbyist, I tried the Nikkor 50/1.2 MF lens on the GF1.

Results are very promising from F1.4 and on. With the smallest light source, using GF1's ability to go up to 800 ISO without much problems, I think I may use this setup for street photography as well.

It works like a 100mm lens, which means I may stay far from the subject, which in some cases may be an advantage. ( although mostly not!)

Next trial will be the 35/1.4 AI-S, but from longggg ago, I remember that it's a very poor lens up to F2.8. We'll see.

Tomorrow I will try to post some street photos taken with the 50mm.

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Poor man's Nocti (GF1)

I will mount my Canon LTM 50/1,2 as soon as I get the adapter...
    "You live and learn; at any rate you live" (Douglas Adams)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seyhun,

This (50/1.2) is not all that great on the m4/3rds. For reasons I do not understand, while it works fabulously (wide open) even on APS-C Nikon cams, I do not like it on my G1. I tried it once and gave up.

Let us see some pics and if it works for you. I will be most interested to see wide open snaps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are 2 samples. I think both were taken with F1.4. ISO was 500 and 640 if I'm not mistaken.
    Tonight I will try the Summicron 35mm, and see what happens. The 50/1.2 is not going to be my favorite lens on GF-1 either.

Car photo processes with Silkypix, the street shot with PSE6. No major processing in both cases. Not even WB.

Finally, I couldn't resist posting one photo from the Bosphorus, taken with the kit lens. IMO, GF1 has the Leica look to some extent, and I like that.

Seyhun
    Facebook Page

MannyGS

s.agar,
    Can you tell me why you are not too keen on having the Nikon 50mm f/1.2 on the GF-1? Can you PM me some more images you've taken with this camera/lens combo? I've been thinking eagerly of getting a GF-1 and mate it to my f/1.2, so I'd really like to know what you think. Thanks!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laptoprob View Post
    I will mount my Canon LTM 50/1,2 as soon as I get the adapter...
    This lens is a good match for the G1, well balanced...as opposed to the 50/0.95 which is HUGE.

Post Thanks / Like

How about the Olympus Pen 42mm f/1.2? I am grooving this week on the 40/1.4...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is nothing in this focal length region that comes close to the (real) pen F 42/1.2, in terms of performance, handling and versatility (35cm close focus).

This is the reason why I would not mount the 50/1.2 AiS on the G1, though this is one of my favorite lenses on Nikon cams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been playing, practicing with my old LTM Canon 50/1,2 on the GF1. Feels nice. Dof is short enough, focusing without magnifier, using the EVF or the big screen works. Not well, it works. For really close focus a bit of magnification is very useful. If you want the short dof to be correct.
    "You live and learn; at any rate you live" (Douglas Adams)

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
    How about the Olympus Pen 42mm f/1.2? I am grooving this week on the 40/1.4...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    There is nothing in this focal length region that comes close to the (real) pen F 42/1.2, in terms of performance, handling and versatility (35cm close focus).

This is the reason why I would not mount the 50/1.2 AiS on the G1, though this is one of my favorite lenses on Nikon cams.
    I switch back and forth between the Pen F 40/1.4 and 42/1.2 on the G1, liking each of them for (obviously) different reasons.

Vivek, in this post you included the 60/1.5 in your list of favorite Pen F lenses. Does the 60/1.5 have similar qualities to the 42/1.2? Or did you recommend it for other reasons? I'm curious because I really like that focal length on m4/3rds -- I'm currently using a Nikon mount Nokton 58/1.4 but am becoming more and more irritated by the fact that the Nikon aperture and focusing rings work in the opposite direction to those on Pen F, Canon, Leica, Minolta, Konica, etc lenses. Would a Pen F 60/1.5 be worth acquiring?

Post Thanks / Like

I also have Nikon 50/1.2 on my list. Most of the time, I shrink the aperture to F2 rather than wide open as the fringe on at F1.2 is not so good. But most of the time. It is a good portrait lens that give you promising bokeh and also the sharpness. I have tried several lenses of different brand and quite sure that Nikon is really match the criteria of high resolution lens deal to the sensor size.

I have tried Tessar 50mm f2.8 too, though not as sharp as Nikon 50/1.2, but the closer focusing distance makes it a Macro lens in some sense and the color is more nature, not as cold as Nikon, IMO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post

Vivek, in this post you included the 60/1.5 in your list of favorite Pen F lenses. Does the 60/1.5 have similar qualities to the 42/1.2? Or did you recommend it for other reasons? I'm curious because I really like that focal length on m4/3rds -- I'm currently using a Nikon mount Nokton 58/1.4 but am becoming more and more irritated by the fact that the Nikon aperture and focusing rings work in the opposite direction to those on Pen F, Canon, Leica, Minolta, Konica, etc lenses.
    The 60/1.5 also has a 49mm filter thread. It has higher contrast, wide open, compared to the 42/1.2.

The question:

Would a Pen F 60/1.5 be worth acquiring?
    My answer is a resounding, yes! This applies to all of pen F lenses.

We have not seen the real utility of these, yet, IMO.

By next year, I would expect APS-C sensored mirrorless cams from other manufacturers where the pen F lenses will be extremely useful. Imagine being able to shoot (and capture clean images) at ISO3200 or higher ISO with a 42/1.2 or a 60/1.5!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I hear rumors of new very fast 25mm in m4/3 mount...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What would be "very fast" and why would we want to have a line up of 17, 20 and 25mm lenses?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

fast is faster than 1.2. I guess for the same reason there are 35, 40, and 50mm lenses for 35mm format?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My subjective test results with 3 lenses I have:

First one was the 50/1.2 AI-s, samples for which were posted here.
    (I was not very pleased because of too soft photos at F1.2 also with too much vignetting). It improved with F1.4, and was nice at F2. Usable from F1.4 on.

Then I tried the Summicron 35mm. Small size, and seemingly a good companion with the GF1. But, IMO, it does not perform well on this sensor despite using the sweet spot of the lens, with too much vignetting and blurred corners at F2. (I have the M8, so I appreciate how well the sensor is made to eliminate such problems, possibly resulting from striking angle of the light rays) This lens is attached to the M8 most of the time.

Finally, I tried the Nikon version of the Zeiss MF 50/1.4 Sonnar. That looks like a perfect fit for GF1. I will post some samples asap.

Seyhun
    Facebook Page

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Faster than f/1.2 with CDAF would be something!

I sincerely hope it does not have a Laica name or price tag attached with dp revs churning out their standard images.

35,40, 50? Yes, when you have a whole bunch of FL range lenses and are trying fill small gaps.

When a system is new and everything is centering around 20mm does not make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    fast is faster than 1.2. I guess for the same reason there are 35, 40, and 50mm lenses for 35mm format?

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously? From which manufacturer?

Is it easier to make fast lenses for a smaller sensor than for 35mm? I must say the 20/1.7 really took me by surprise.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm...25/1.2 with AF and sharp like the 20/1.7. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

As for the Nikkor. I have the 55/1.2 and have used it before on the G1. Too big and cumbersome for me. It's fine on the D700 so it will stay there.

I did use my Canon 50/.95 on a G1 last year. Now that was beast of a lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd rather have a 42mm f1.4... but would certainly love to see a 25mm faster than f1.2!

Exciting times ahead

Cheers

Brian

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The 60/1.5 also has a 49mm filter thread. It has higher contrast, wide open, compared to the 42/1.2.

The question:

My answer is a resounding, yes! This applies to all of pen F lenses.

We have not seen the real utility of these, yet, IMO.

By next year, I would expect APS-C sensored mirrorless cams from other manufacturers where the pen F lenses will be extremely useful. Imagine being able to shoot (and capture clean images) at ISO3200 or higher ISO with a 42/1.2 or a 60/1.5!
    Great response, Vivek, thank you! One last question about the 60/1.5 -- is the bokeh similar to that of the 42/1.2?

Interesting observation about the APS-C mirrorless cams. I'd mistakenly assumed that the Pen F lenses wouldn't cover the wider APS-C sensor but I wasn't taking the different aspect ratios into account.

There was a rumor about a 30mm Summilux for m4/3rds but you're obviously talking about another lens entirely.

fast is faster than 1.2.
    OK, I'll bite. A Cosina Voigtlander 25/1.1?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonathon, Bokeh (being a very subjective and subtle matter) is different.

Since the 60/1.5 has a higher contrast, it is bound to be different.

However, they are a lot alike compared to other system lenses of similar FL and aperture.