The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using wide converter with the 20/1.7?

V

Vivek

I have been using a Ricoh GW-1 (0.75X) with the Oly-D 17/2.8. This combo appears better than the plain 17mm lens itself for my use.

Anyone tried a wide converter with the faster 20/1.7?

laptoprob

Good idea, I will try that tomorrow!
I've got a big Olympus 0,8 and a distorting 0,45...
The Oly should remain pretty rectalinear.

laptoprob

Won't ever do it again.
No explanation needed, looks like a coke bottle to me.
Smearing sides, CA, distortion.

V

Vivek

Thanks for trying, Rob.

Among the converters (so many) I tried, the Ricoh GW-1 makes an excellent match for the Olympus-D 17/2.8 and the Century Optics 0.65X for the Computar-TV 25/1.3 (and some other 25mm lenses).

The current Ricoh GW-2 (46mm thread) might make a good fit on the 20/1.7.

ggibson

I have a 0.7x converter for my Sony V1, but the thread is 52mm. It actually came with a 45.5mm->52mm step down, which DOES fit the 46mm thread on the 20/1.7, but the adapter is about an inch long to allow for the V1's lens to extend. Unfortunately, the result is that the GF1 doesn't focus with this combo. I'm still hopeful that it will work with a short step down ring, but haven't tried yet.

I guess the long adapter can still work as a lens hood on the 20/1.7 though, eh?

V

Vivek

How heavy is your 0.7X?

BTW, I tried many single element or twin element X converters and they all suck.

ggibson

I thought about the fact that the lens moves in/out to focus, but I don't think my converter was heavy enough to stress the motor. The 20/1.7 itself was able to move (manual or AF), but I wasn't able to reach a focus with it. I'll play with it when I get home tonight... see if I can align it by hand.

V

Vivek

It is very important that you avoid hanging anything heavy. The 0.75X and the 0.65X converters I use are ~ <100g each. Even that is a risky thing to do with flimsy plastic lenses weighing <100g.

Yes, it is possible that some converters are made only for video zooms.

W

willpix

If you guys insist on attaching foreign pieces of glass to your 20 pancakes, why not try this one on for size:

The original Panny DMW-LW46, which attaches via a separate adapter tube to the Lumix LX3, yielding an 18mm f/2, will screw directly into the Panny 20mm f/1.7 pancake, as both lens and wide converter are 46mm. Being a .75x converter, it'll yield a very useful 30mmf/1.7 moderate wide. Profile is not too bad either, as it's flared but small, conferring a somewhat retro, archaic appearance on the entire rig.

I tried it and was thrilled with the optical results, till someone on the dpreview threads pointed out the danger of burning out my focusing motor. You'll find it's not all that huge a mass, but I take no responsibility for damage to your equipment. And keep in mind, if you think using it only in manual focus mode will eliminate any hazard, that the focusing motor still seems to be utilized for some kind of "focus assist," even when you're manually focusing

V

Vivek

You'll find it's not all that huge a mass, but I take no responsibility for damage to your equipment. And keep in mind, if you think using it only in manual focus mode will eliminate any hazard, that the focusing motor still seems to be utilized for some kind of "focus assist," even when you're manually focusing

This is correct. The Oly17/2.8 (78g weight) holds my 0.75X (~80g). Without power, the lens does not operate at all at any time. I am aware of the risk. I am also not advocating that anyone use this and if they end up damaging their lens, think of me.:eek:

Yes, even in the "manual focus" mode, the motor does the movement.:eek: