The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First outing with GF1

jonoslack

HI There Terry

Here goes my understanding.....
If you are in AF mode and want to fine tune with MF you have a couple of choices:
1) hold the shutter at half press move focus ring get magnified view
[/QUOTE]

HI Terry
This is certainly what I understood, but it seemed only to work sometimes . . . Thinking about it and reading what Ron says (and I'll test this some more), I think that the issue is that it won't do that unless focus is locked. Also, I don't know how to get it to zoom out again!

Terry

Jono,
Half pressing the shutter will zoom it back out but if you are already at half press I guess that isn't viable. When I want to MF I either Go to MF or I lock on the AE/AF lock. So, I'm not overly helpful on how to zoom back out without releasing the half press.

Diane B

Hah---feeling a bit stupid since all above works. Guess reading the manual unless you follow down all the links isn't worthwhile--I'll just go with what I know from my own usage that I know works LOL.

I have to admit I either MF or AF--until I got the 20, I used MF lenses almost exclusively or at distances that MF tweaking didn't matter. Trying this with the GF!, it does seem that it won't work unless the AF is locked. My preference has been to use AF lock and I'm betting that this would work better using the magnified MF in hand.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hmm ho hum
Yes - I think the problem is that I want to use the AE/AF lock for AE - because I very often like to get an exposure, then half press to get focus, and reframe to take the picture. (I know the arguments for the other way, but it would be changing the habit of a lifetime).

Af/Mf is something I use a lot with other cameras - the trouble here is that you can't fine tune until it's locked focus (i.e. you have half pressed the shutter), at which point you cant then zoom out again to frame before taking the picture . unless you take your finger off the shutter, in which case it auto-focuses again:ROTFL:

The reason it would have been relevant is what I was saying earlier, which is that the 14-45 panny (actually the 14-140 as well) don't much like to AF on very close subjects (even if they are within their range). I was hoping to be able to focus on something quite close and then force the issue with the focus ring on AF/MF.

I'll find a workaround . . . . without having to resort to reading the manual (I am a bloke you know:D)

RonSmith

... the trouble here is that you can't fine tune until it's locked focus (i.e. you have half pressed the shutter), at which point you cant then zoom out again to frame before taking the picture . unless you take your finger off the shutter, in which case it auto-focuses again

Try pressing the AF/MF button while holding the half-press after having fine tuned the focus manually. On mine, the image un-magnified.

Diane B

Hmm ho hum
I'll find a workaround . . . . without having to resort to reading the manual (I am a bloke you know:D)
You notice it didn't help me :ROTFL:. And--I read it all initially-but who can keep all that info with links and side bars and foot notes in mind. Actually--I admit I didn't really read the GF1 manual--it was the G1 manual in Jan (that makes me feel a bit better :eek: :eek:) and only read the video and EVF parts for the GF1.

I agree about changing habits. I still wonder about using AF on the AF/AE button as I've used * button for focus and the shutter button for exposure for many years with the Canons (opposite of you)--but I can't change exposure with the shutter button on the Pannys as I like (using 2 fingers I can quickly change focus and exposure). The AF/AE button would really work better with AE lock and using the shutter button for AF--the opposite of what I have done for years. Maybe its time to try and break a habit and have the usage be about the same as I prefer.

Godfrey

... manual focus with magnification assist: G1/GH1/GF1

Here's how I have my G1 set up, the GH1 and GF1 are the same.

In the Custom menu, I set
- AF+MF to ON
- AF/AE LOCK HOLD to ON
- AF/AE LOCK to MF
- MF ASSIST to ON

What this does is
- With an AF capable lens, once focus lock is achieved on a shutter release half press, fine focus tuning is enabled by twisting the focus ring, magnification is automatically engaged.

- If you press the AF/AE Lock button, the AF is locked and held until you press it again. Once locked, MF is enabled and magnification is applied by twisting the focusing ring.

- In MF mode with AF capable lenses, left arrow+menu button jumps you into magnification as well as turning the focusing ring. (Sometimes I disable the MF ASSIST function so that I work with AF lenses the same way I do with adapted manual lenses because I find the jumping in and out of MF ASSIST when I turn the focusing ring an annoyance with a longer focal length: I can see well enough to focus without magnification and the magnification can make me lose my subject entirely.)

- With an adapted manual lens, in any AF mode the left arrow+menu button turns on magnification.

- in all cases where magnification is on, pressing the menu button or half-pressing the shutter release disables it.

I disable AE Lock on the button entirely as I find it unneeded since I have Live Histogram ... I only rarely have to lock the exposure reading, and then I find it easier to just flip to Manual exposure.

jonoslack

This IS a good place for information
Godfrey - Diane; I like to use the AE/AF lock for exposure lock, as I'm not keen on using a histogram, and I'm pretty good at deciding which part of a frame is important from an exposure point of view (just funny old me).

More research - and all your information - has taught me that:

1. you must achieve focus lock by half pressing the shutter before the MF assist will do the zoom in (boring but that's the way it works)
2. pressing the AE/AF lock button when zoomed in will zoom you out again (even if it's prime function is AE lock).

So I'm pretty happy about that.

Diane B

More research - and all your information - has taught me that:

1. you must achieve focus lock by half pressing the shutter before the MF assist will do the zoom in (boring but that's the way it works)
2. pressing the AE/AF lock button when zoomed in will zoom you out again (even if it's prime function is AE lock).

So I'm pretty happy about that.
Yes--made me rethink how I like to shoot. I'm going to try AE lock I think (whereas I've been using AF lock). That allows me to adjust exposure easily. Instead of a hold, I just hold the AE/AF button as I do with the Canon shutter button and can release and choose differently though I'm usually pretty good about choosing what I need. I have to get used to the opposite thinking--AE where I usually did AF, and exposure where I normally chose AF. But--it works more like my fn. choice on my 5D--and using the histo (which I've gotten used to onscreen now) I can keep my exposure correct. I may decide to use AElock/hold which frees my thumb for EC--I'll just have to shoot this way awhile to see--but I think retraining my finger/thumb to this might suit me better. Since I haven't been tweaking AF on the G1 where I mostly shoot with MF lenses, I'll have to see how I fare with Jono's technique on the GF1. So far it works--but doesn't feel 'right' yet--but habits aren't broken quickly :)

Shooting with the GF1 and the 20, or even the 14-45--is different, at least for me, than with the G1 where I tend to shoot more with adaptors and MF lenses. Consequently, I need to think more deliberately what works better for me.

jonoslack

I'll have to see how I fare with Jono's technique on the GF1. So far it works--but doesn't feel 'right' yet--but habits aren't broken quickly :)
Ouch - don't do what I do . . . don't even do what I say :ROTFL:
Mind you, I suppose a bit of variety is good . . . I keep things changing, but usually it's only because I can't remember what I did before :eek:

On a more serious note, it's always instructive to filter a new camera's facilities through one's own preconceptions.

The GF1 is a bit complicated after the Leica, but it does seem to work pretty well.

woodyspedden

HI Ron

You don't know what gobsmacked means?:eek: You MUST be pulling my plonker :ROTFL:

Thank you - it's a fun camera isn't it, and nicely thought out, the quick menu rather reminds me of the lovely ricoh interface.

Ah well, I might, but it's not really where it fits in to my life . . . I can see that it'll be hard to resist though.
If you already don't know Gobsmacked, then pulling your plonker may really be "stretching" things! LOL

Woody

Diane B

Ouch - don't do what I do . . . don't even do what I say :ROTFL:
Mind you, I suppose a bit of variety is good . . . I keep things changing, but usually it's only because I can't remember what I did before :eek:

On a more serious note, it's always instructive to filter a new camera's facilities through one's own preconceptions.

The GF1 is a bit complicated after the Leica, but it does seem to work pretty well.
I'm not even sure how often I'll need to tweak my AF and use your technique of using the AF/MF button to release the MF magnification (but it works and that's good knowledge to have)--since I shoot a lot with the 20 on it and that lens' AF has been very good. BUT--rethinking using the AE on the AF/AE lock instead of AF brings me back to working as I do with the 5D--but having to rethink what finger/thumb does what :ROTFL:.