Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 53

Thread: First outing with GF1

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    First outing with GF1

    Well, we went riding, and then the sun condescended to look pretty, so I went out with the dog for half an hour before sunset.

    To be honest, I'm disappointed with the 14-140 (going back I think), but I'm gobsmacked by the wonderful little kit zoom - it's REALLY good.

    Our very own grapes (they don't taste that great, but still!)


    one of the last bees.


    Crab apple


    some pointy thing of emmas


    Field maple


    Blue at the Bier Lane pond (part one)


    Part Two

    Just this guy you know

  2. #2
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Nice colors - you shoot jpg or use something other than Aperture?

    I think you and others have finally pushed me over the edge, and since the kit with 20 is out of stock I'll just get the kit 14-45. My g/f has that and it is a nice lens - better built than the Oly imho. I'll get the 20/1.7 separately (since you can't buy the kit zoom separately evidently.

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Just a couple more:

    Berries Berries Berries


    IN Bier Lane again:


    Backlit Gingko


    Arthur's dead tree

    Just this guy you know

  4. #4
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Backlit Gingko

  5. #5
    Senior Member RonSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ... I'm gobsmacked ...
    That's a good thing, right?


    Those are wonderful pictures, Jono! I just got my GF1 three days ago, and I'm enjoying it very much already. It is different enough from the G1 to offer a different sort of picture-taking experience.

    The 14-45 really is a great lens, but do get the 20!
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

  6. #6
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Hi Jono,

    glad you managed to capture a little light today... I'm not surprised about the 14-140 - you dropped the 14-150 and that was better.

    At least you'll now have the funds for the 20mm f1.7

    Cheers

    Brian

    p.s. the colour looks a bit 'thin' on these - I'm guessing you've noticed, being familiar with your FF cams?

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Jono -
    The ginko leaf looks great. I guess not the easiest exposure to control.
    Since the launch of the G1 the 14-45 has gotten good reviews...only gripe being speed.

    Where does the 14-140 let you down? I have it and this trip will really be the first one where I get a chance to shoot with it.

    OT - but I was packing up my gear for the trip last night and the difference in size between the Minolta 24-105 and the Zeiss 24-70 is pretty comical. Truly the best $205 photography purchase I've made (I came across that invoice the other day and did a double take)!

  8. #8
    Member beamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    southern Arizona, USA
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    That's a good thing, right?

    Translated from Brit. english to U.S. english "gobsmacked' = utterly astounded. Though I guess it could be used negatively, I've never seen it; always positive whenever I've seen/heard it.

    Jono or another native Brit will correct me if I'm wrong; of that I'm sure.
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

  9. #9
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Backlit Gingko
    Gobsmackingly Gorgeous!

    Cheers Jono

    Brian

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Nice colors - you shoot jpg or use something other than Aperture?

    I think you and others have finally pushed me over the edge, and since the kit with 20 is out of stock I'll just get the kit 14-45. My g/f has that and it is a nice lens - better built than the Oly imho. I'll get the 20/1.7 separately (since you can't buy the kit zoom separately evidently.
    Hi Todd
    I was in the same position, but, really, I want to use it as a d-lux4 replacement, and if I'm going to use a fast prime I'll use the leica . . . the 20 is quite attractive though, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to resist!

    I do like good quality zooms though, and this one really does seem to work well.

    I used Lightroom for these (not jpg) . . . a temporary measure I hope!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hi Jono,

    glad you managed to capture a little light today... I'm not surprised about the 14-140 - you dropped the 14-150 and that was better.

    At least you'll now have the funds for the 20mm f1.7
    Maybe, but probably not! I might just cut the crap and get the 85 f1.4 zeiss for the A900 with the proceeds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post

    p.s. the colour looks a bit 'thin' on these - I'm guessing you've noticed, being familiar with your FF cams?
    I know what you mean - I shot AWB and converted in Lightroom to make things simple, I'm not sure that I'll do that again.

    Just this guy you know

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    HI Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    That's a good thing, right?
    You don't know what gobsmacked means? You MUST be pulling my plonker

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    Those are wonderful pictures, Jono! I just got my GF1 three days ago, and I'm enjoying it very much already. It is different enough from the G1 to offer a different sort of picture-taking experience.
    Thank you - it's a fun camera isn't it, and nicely thought out, the quick menu rather reminds me of the lovely ricoh interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    The 14-45 really is a great lens, but do get the 20!
    Ah well, I might, but it's not really where it fits in to my life . . . I can see that it'll be hard to resist though.

    Just this guy you know

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Hi Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jono -
    The ginko leaf looks great. I guess not the easiest exposure to control.
    Thanks - actually, i just made sure that the sun was dead behind the leaf, and then pressed the shutter - camera got it right!

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Since the launch of the G1 the 14-45 has gotten good reviews...only gripe being speed.

    Where does the 14-140 let you down? I have it and this trip will really be the first one where I get a chance to shoot with it.
    the 14-45 is fab. Two things with the 14-140
    1. it's too big
    2. it's too slow

    If I'm going to carry that around, I'd rather have the A900 with the 24-105 and the 70-200 - not a big hassle and much better quality - for me the GF1 is about little. Mind you, I might be stuck with it, but I think they'll take it back as it came from their demo camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    OT - but I was packing up my gear for the trip last night and the difference in size between the Minolta 24-105 and the Zeiss 24-70 is pretty comical. Truly the best $205 photography purchase I've made (I came across that invoice the other day and did a double take)!
    Funny - I found the invoice for mine the other day: £156- I was robbed I was thinking exactly the same thing (best photography purchase ever).

    Just this guy you know

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by beamon View Post
    Translated from Brit. english to U.S. english "gobsmacked' = utterly astounded. Though I guess it could be used negatively, I've never seen it; always positive whenever I've seen/heard it.

    Jono or another native Brit will correct me if I'm wrong; of that I'm sure.
    Hi Roger
    I certainly would correct you - but you're quite right - it's one of my favorite expressions.

    Brian - glad you liked the gingko.

    Just this guy you know

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Nice shots Jono. The grapes actually look quite nice in that image. Are they too sweet? Don't let your dog roll in the Gingko fruit

    Regards,
    Carl

  15. #15
    Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    To be honest, I'm disappointed with the 14-140 (going back I think), but I'm gobsmacked by the wonderful little kit zoom - it's REALLY good.
    Particularly in the right hands.

    I have a spare Pana 14-45 kit zoom that I'm thinking of selling. I'm tempted to link to these photos to show what the lens can do. Although you might then ask for a commission on the sale...

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Nice shots Jono. The grapes actually look quite nice in that image. Are they too sweet? Don't let your dog roll in the Gingko fruit

    Regards,
    Carl
    Carl - I'm a botanist by training, and I never knew about this - I think our tree is either male . . . or there aren't any male trees for fertilisation.

    I suspect the truth is that the spoilsport nursery owners have made sure that all the plants are male!

    You learn something new every day! Thank you!

    As for the grapes - they're very full if seeds and rather small, but it's the first edible crop we've had for 10 years, it is possible to grow grapes successfully around here, but you need to be better gardeners than we are!

    Just this guy you know

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    Particularly in the right hands.

    I have a spare Pana 14-45 kit zoom that I'm thinking of selling. I'm tempted to link to these photos to show what the lens can do. Although you might then ask for a commission on the sale...
    Hi There Jonathon
    Glad you like the shots - the lens really is good - especially considering the price.
    I pint next time we meet up will do!

    Just this guy you know

  18. #18
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Ron

    You don't know what gobsmacked means? You MUST be pulling my plonker
    that'd be yer middle leg?

    just crossreferencing some funny pommi slang against the funny Ozzie slang

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    that'd be yer middle leg?

    just crossreferencing some funny pommi slang against the funny Ozzie slang
    I guess it would . . . but it's really quite acceptable.

    Just this guy you know

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    How big is the 14-45 lens. I mean how many inches or cm does it add to the width of the camera? I want to know how it would compare to an LX-3/DLUX4 for example

  21. #21
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I guess it would . . . but it's really quite acceptable.
    sure ... but this is the sorta stuff which should be discussed in the sauna ;-)



    anyway ...

  22. #22
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I know what you mean - I shot AWB and converted in Lightroom to make things simple, I'm not sure that I'll do that again.
    perhaps I'm not certain of what's being said here ... but are you saying that the process is what gave you thinner colours or that you feel that the sensor is not giving data into the process which gives better colours on other cameras (such as your other 4/3 cameras or the Sonys)

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    perhaps I'm not certain of what's being said here ... but are you saying that the process is what gave you thinner colours or that you feel that the sensor is not giving data into the process which gives better colours on other cameras (such as your other 4/3 cameras or the Sonys)
    HI There
    Just that I'm not very familiar with Lightroom, I have a pretty clear workflow organised with Aperture, and I just hope that they support these cameras.

    I'm pretty pleased with the quality of the raw files from the sensor.

    Just this guy you know

  24. #24
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Jono

    Any thoughts on the quality of the files/cameras between the GF1 and your/Silas's EP1?
    SlŠinte

    Robert.

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    How big is the 14-45 lens. I mean how many inches or cm does it add to the width of the camera? I want to know how it would compare to an LX-3/DLUX4 for example
    Hi Mark
    It's much bigger - the difference between the bodies isn't much, but the lens is quite big:

    side by side

    the lens appears to be 60mm so:

    LX3: 109 x 60 x 27 mm
    GF1: 119 x 71 x 96.3 mm (including lens)

    Just this guy you know

  26. #26
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    How big is the 14-45 lens. I mean how many inches or cm does it add to the width of the camera? I want to know how it would compare to an LX-3/DLUX4 for example
    pardon me talking out of turn here as I don't have the Oly .... I'm not sure which 14-45 either as there are a few ... the Oly 14-45 I believe to be more slim and seems to be similar to the 20mm when packed down...



    yet, from this angle seems bulky



    this image shows how much it changes as engaged however




    to my mind the Pany 14-45 would be the one to put onto the the front of the GF ... and it'd get IOS too

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Jono

    Any thoughts on the quality of the files/cameras between the GF1 and your/Silas's EP1?
    HI Robert
    No thoughts . . . it's his now, and so it's tricky to get a comparison.
    They both seem to me to be entirely adequate - and that would seem to be enough

    Just this guy you know

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    pardon me talking out of turn here as I don't have the Oly .... I'm not sure which 14-45 either as there are a few ... the Oly 14-45 I believe to be more slim and seems to be similar to the 20mm when packed down...

    to my mind the Pany 14-45 would be the one to put onto the the front of the GF ... and it'd get IOS too
    Pellicle, the Oly14-42 does fold down (or whatever), but I agree the Panny 14-45 seems the one to use with the GF1. I think its accepted now that the 14-45 is the better lens optically--and it does have IS.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicGF1/page19.asp

    Since I've only used the 14-45 and not the Oly 14-42 I can't compare--just go by the lens test and from those that have used both but its balanced nicely on my GF1.

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: First outing with GF1

    I have both....the things to like about the Oly:

    Collapses - makes it smaller but also makes if feel more fragile; expanded they are about the same.
    Close focus. It focuses MUCH closer than the Panny and makes for some nice macro shooting.

    Most other technical points come out in favor of the Panny.

    Even though I will probably sell the Oly body, I may keep that lens. First want to get the 45 macro and see how I like it.

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Close focus. It focuses MUCH closer than the Panny and makes for some nice macro shooting.
    Hi Terry
    according to the specs I can see the Olympus focuses to 25cm and the Panny to 30cm (although sometimes it's hard to persuade it). Different, sure, but not THAT different.

    Just this guy you know

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Terry
    according to the specs I can see the Olympus focuses to 25cm and the Panny to 30cm (although sometimes it's hard to persuade it). Different, sure, but not THAT different.
    I didn't realize technically the difference is so small. It feels like a bigger difference in the field.

  32. #32
    Senior Member RonSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Ron

    You don't know what gobsmacked means?
    Well, then, gobsmacked it is!


    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    You MUST be pulling my plonker
    Certainly not. That would be ungentlemanly.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    I've neglected to say it but have said it to myself several times--I just love that backlit gingko.

    You usually manage to turn quite ordinary daily things into beautiful shots--I'm guessing you've taken that similar walk many times and I've seen shots from it many times--but you manage to find different subjects to shoot in different ways--or even the same subjects shot differently.

  34. #34
    meilicke
    Guest

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Jono, the Bier Lane walk seems quite nice during the day, but it would take on a different character at night. No?

    -Scott

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I didn't realize technically the difference is so small. It feels like a bigger difference in the field.
    I think that's because the Panny often simply refuses to focus that close (at least, mine does)
    Incidentally, if you have AF/MF set (single AF of course), and you turn the focus ring - sometimes it zooms in, and sometimes it doesn't - do you have an idea about this?

    Just this guy you know

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    HI Diane
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I've neglected to say it but have said it to myself several times--I just love that backlit gingko.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    You usually manage to turn quite ordinary daily things into beautiful shots--I'm guessing you've taken that similar walk many times and I've seen shots from it many times--but you manage to find different subjects to shoot in different ways--or even the same subjects shot differently.
    Turning ordinary things into pretty ones is what I do really (not a great ambition I'm afraid!). It also leads to the danger of repeating oneself, but hopefully each new version adds to the whole, rather than reducing the impact.

    The Gingko is actually in our front garden. Due to the imposition of a huge pine tree (which is coming down on December 1st), it doesn't get a lot of sunlight at this time of year (just a few minutes before sunset).

    I sometimes wonder if one couldn't do one's whole photography of a single subject - there's always different light or a new angle or some other subtle change. It might be more interesting if it was one of Bob's models
    Last edited by jonoslack; 19th October 2009 at 09:10.

    Just this guy you know

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Jono, I wasn't sure of this (though this is how my 2 G's work--altho' occasionally popping up the magnified version if I just touch the focus ring while in AF), but checked the manual and I 'think' I'm correct.

    I don't think the magnified version with touch of focus ring is supposed to pop in unless you have MF set instead of AF. I looked up AF/MF and it just says that you can tweak MF after AF--nothihg about MF assist. Howver, if you have MF assist on, if you are shooting in AF, you can use MF assist (as you can with MF lenses by clicking on left 4 way button and then OK. I won't cite pg. numbers since I've closed the manual now LOL, but that seems to be it.

    Edit: Gosh--that sounds convoluted LOL--simply, you use AF (with AF/MF on) as is, but can MF with it to tweak. To use MF assist in AF---you have to use the 2 button. If you set the camera to MF (with AF/MF button on back), then the magnified version will automatically work with focus ring touch.

    Diane

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by meilicke View Post
    Jono, the Bier Lane walk seems quite nice during the day, but it would take on a different character at night. No?

    -Scott
    Oh yes.
    There is a story that the grandfather of the family over the road used to go up there in his pony and trap to the pub every night, get completely rat-assed, and then the pony would bring him home and his wife would pour him into bed.

    One night he didn't arrive back, and in the morning they found pony and trap and grandfather dead in the pond halfway up the lane.

    Personally, I think that story should be enough to have it's name changed from Bier lane to Beer lane

    Just this guy you know

  39. #39
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Jono, I wasn't sure of this (though this is how my 2 G's work--altho' occasionally popping up the magnified version if I just touch the focus ring while in AF), but checked the manual and I 'think' I'm correct.

    I don't think the magnified version with touch of focus ring is supposed to pop in unless you have MF set instead of AF. I looked up AF/MF and it just says that you can tweak MF after AF--nothihg about MF assist. Howver, if you have MF assist on, if you are shooting in AF, you can use MF assist (as you can with MF lenses by clicking on left 4 way button and then OK. I won't cite pg. numbers since I've closed the manual now LOL, but that seems to be it.

    Edit: Gosh--that sounds convoluted LOL--simply, you use AF (with AF/MF on) as is, but can MF with it to tweak. To use MF assist in AF---you have to use the 2 button. If you set the camera to MF (with AF/MF button on back), then the magnified version will automatically work with focus ring touch.

    Diane
    Here goes my understanding.....
    If you are in AF mode and want to fine tune with MF you have a couple of choices:
    1) hold the shutter at half press move focus ring get magnified view
    2) if you have AF set that it can be locked on the AE/AF lock button you can lock focus and as soon as you touch the focus ring you will get magnified view (and you don't need the shutter half press).

    Or you can simply switch to MF with the AF/MF button and then as soon as you touch the focus ring you will be in the magnified view.

    If you are using a non m4/3 lens you will do the two button press left and center to get magnified view.

  40. #40
    Senior Member RonSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    With the GF1 (I have to check to see if the G1 is the same) you can get the magnified manual focus assist even with AF on once the AF is locked, i.e., half-press held.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    HI There Terry

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Here goes my understanding.....
    If you are in AF mode and want to fine tune with MF you have a couple of choices:
    1) hold the shutter at half press move focus ring get magnified view
    [/QUOTE]

    HI Terry
    This is certainly what I understood, but it seemed only to work sometimes . . . Thinking about it and reading what Ron says (and I'll test this some more), I think that the issue is that it won't do that unless focus is locked. Also, I don't know how to get it to zoom out again!

    Just this guy you know

  42. #42
    Senior Member RonSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I don't know how to get it to zoom out again!
    Either a full-press on the shutter release (if you're ready to take the picture) or press the AF/MF button.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Jono,
    Half pressing the shutter will zoom it back out but if you are already at half press I guess that isn't viable. When I want to MF I either Go to MF or I lock on the AE/AF lock. So, I'm not overly helpful on how to zoom back out without releasing the half press.

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Hah---feeling a bit stupid since all above works. Guess reading the manual unless you follow down all the links isn't worthwhile--I'll just go with what I know from my own usage that I know works LOL.

    I have to admit I either MF or AF--until I got the 20, I used MF lenses almost exclusively or at distances that MF tweaking didn't matter. Trying this with the GF!, it does seem that it won't work unless the AF is locked. My preference has been to use AF lock and I'm betting that this would work better using the magnified MF in hand.
    Last edited by Diane B; 19th October 2009 at 10:46.

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Hmm ho hum
    Yes - I think the problem is that I want to use the AE/AF lock for AE - because I very often like to get an exposure, then half press to get focus, and reframe to take the picture. (I know the arguments for the other way, but it would be changing the habit of a lifetime).

    Af/Mf is something I use a lot with other cameras - the trouble here is that you can't fine tune until it's locked focus (i.e. you have half pressed the shutter), at which point you cant then zoom out again to frame before taking the picture . unless you take your finger off the shutter, in which case it auto-focuses again

    The reason it would have been relevant is what I was saying earlier, which is that the 14-45 panny (actually the 14-140 as well) don't much like to AF on very close subjects (even if they are within their range). I was hoping to be able to focus on something quite close and then force the issue with the focus ring on AF/MF.

    I'll find a workaround . . . . without having to resort to reading the manual (I am a bloke you know)

    Just this guy you know

  46. #46
    Senior Member RonSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ... the trouble here is that you can't fine tune until it's locked focus (i.e. you have half pressed the shutter), at which point you cant then zoom out again to frame before taking the picture . unless you take your finger off the shutter, in which case it auto-focuses again

    Try pressing the AF/MF button while holding the half-press after having fine tuned the focus manually. On mine, the image un-magnified.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmm ho hum
    I'll find a workaround . . . . without having to resort to reading the manual (I am a bloke you know)
    You notice it didn't help me . And--I read it all initially-but who can keep all that info with links and side bars and foot notes in mind. Actually--I admit I didn't really read the GF1 manual--it was the G1 manual in Jan (that makes me feel a bit better ) and only read the video and EVF parts for the GF1.

    I agree about changing habits. I still wonder about using AF on the AF/AE button as I've used * button for focus and the shutter button for exposure for many years with the Canons (opposite of you)--but I can't change exposure with the shutter button on the Pannys as I like (using 2 fingers I can quickly change focus and exposure). The AF/AE button would really work better with AE lock and using the shutter button for AF--the opposite of what I have done for years. Maybe its time to try and break a habit and have the usage be about the same as I prefer.

  48. #48
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    ... manual focus with magnification assist: G1/GH1/GF1

    Here's how I have my G1 set up, the GH1 and GF1 are the same.

    In the Custom menu, I set
    - AF+MF to ON
    - AF/AE LOCK HOLD to ON
    - AF/AE LOCK to MF
    - MF ASSIST to ON

    What this does is
    - With an AF capable lens, once focus lock is achieved on a shutter release half press, fine focus tuning is enabled by twisting the focus ring, magnification is automatically engaged.

    - If you press the AF/AE Lock button, the AF is locked and held until you press it again. Once locked, MF is enabled and magnification is applied by twisting the focusing ring.

    - In MF mode with AF capable lenses, left arrow+menu button jumps you into magnification as well as turning the focusing ring. (Sometimes I disable the MF ASSIST function so that I work with AF lenses the same way I do with adapted manual lenses because I find the jumping in and out of MF ASSIST when I turn the focusing ring an annoyance with a longer focal length: I can see well enough to focus without magnification and the magnification can make me lose my subject entirely.)

    - With an adapted manual lens, in any AF mode the left arrow+menu button turns on magnification.

    - in all cases where magnification is on, pressing the menu button or half-pressing the shutter release disables it.

    I disable AE Lock on the button entirely as I find it unneeded since I have Live Histogram ... I only rarely have to lock the exposure reading, and then I find it easier to just flip to Manual exposure.

  49. #49
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First outing with GF1

    This IS a good place for information
    Godfrey - Diane; I like to use the AE/AF lock for exposure lock, as I'm not keen on using a histogram, and I'm pretty good at deciding which part of a frame is important from an exposure point of view (just funny old me).

    More research - and all your information - has taught me that:

    1. you must achieve focus lock by half pressing the shutter before the MF assist will do the zoom in (boring but that's the way it works)
    2. pressing the AE/AF lock button when zoomed in will zoom you out again (even if it's prime function is AE lock).

    So I'm pretty happy about that.

    Just this guy you know

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First outing with GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    More research - and all your information - has taught me that:

    1. you must achieve focus lock by half pressing the shutter before the MF assist will do the zoom in (boring but that's the way it works)
    2. pressing the AE/AF lock button when zoomed in will zoom you out again (even if it's prime function is AE lock).

    So I'm pretty happy about that.
    Yes--made me rethink how I like to shoot. I'm going to try AE lock I think (whereas I've been using AF lock). That allows me to adjust exposure easily. Instead of a hold, I just hold the AE/AF button as I do with the Canon shutter button and can release and choose differently though I'm usually pretty good about choosing what I need. I have to get used to the opposite thinking--AE where I usually did AF, and exposure where I normally chose AF. But--it works more like my fn. choice on my 5D--and using the histo (which I've gotten used to onscreen now) I can keep my exposure correct. I may decide to use AElock/hold which frees my thumb for EC--I'll just have to shoot this way awhile to see--but I think retraining my finger/thumb to this might suit me better. Since I haven't been tweaking AF on the G1 where I mostly shoot with MF lenses, I'll have to see how I fare with Jono's technique on the GF1. So far it works--but doesn't feel 'right' yet--but habits aren't broken quickly

    Shooting with the GF1 and the 20, or even the 14-45--is different, at least for me, than with the G1 where I tend to shoot more with adaptors and MF lenses. Consequently, I need to think more deliberately what works better for me.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •