The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First outing with GF1

jonoslack

Well, we went riding, and then the sun condescended to look pretty, so I went out with the dog for half an hour before sunset.

To be honest, I'm disappointed with the 14-140 (going back I think), but I'm gobsmacked by the wonderful little kit zoom - it's REALLY good.

Our very own grapes (they don't taste that great, but still!)

one of the last bees.

Crab apple

some pointy thing of emmas :ROTFL:

Field maple

Blue at the Bier Lane pond (part one)

Part Two

nostatic

Nice colors - you shoot jpg or use something other than Aperture?

I think you and others have finally pushed me over the edge, and since the kit with 20 is out of stock I'll just get the kit 14-45. My g/f has that and it is a nice lens - better built than the Oly imho. I'll get the 20/1.7 separately (since you can't buy the kit zoom separately evidently.

RonSmith

... I'm gobsmacked ...
That's a good thing, right?

Those are wonderful pictures, Jono! I just got my GF1 three days ago, and I'm enjoying it very much already. It is different enough from the G1 to offer a different sort of picture-taking experience.

The 14-45 really is a great lens, but do get the 20!

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono,

glad you managed to capture a little light today... I'm not surprised about the 14-140 - you dropped the 14-150 and that was better.

At least you'll now have the funds for the 20mm f1.7 :D

Cheers

Brian

p.s. the colour looks a bit 'thin' on these - I'm guessing you've noticed, being familiar with your FF cams?

Terry

Jono -
The ginko leaf looks great. I guess not the easiest exposure to control.
Since the launch of the G1 the 14-45 has gotten good reviews...only gripe being speed.

Where does the 14-140 let you down? I have it and this trip will really be the first one where I get a chance to shoot with it.

OT - but I was packing up my gear for the trip last night and the difference in size between the Minolta 24-105 and the Zeiss 24-70 is pretty comical. Truly the best $205 photography purchase I've made (I came across that invoice the other day and did a double take)!

beamon

Translated from Brit. english to U.S. english "gobsmacked' = utterly astounded. Though I guess it could be used negatively, I've never seen it; always positive whenever I've seen/heard it.

Jono or another native Brit will correct me if I'm wrong; of that I'm sure. :)

jonoslack

Nice colors - you shoot jpg or use something other than Aperture?

I think you and others have finally pushed me over the edge, and since the kit with 20 is out of stock I'll just get the kit 14-45. My g/f has that and it is a nice lens - better built than the Oly imho. I'll get the 20/1.7 separately (since you can't buy the kit zoom separately evidently.
Hi Todd
I was in the same position, but, really, I want to use it as a d-lux4 replacement, and if I'm going to use a fast prime I'll use the leica . . . the 20 is quite attractive though, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to resist!

I do like good quality zooms though, and this one really does seem to work well.

I used Lightroom for these (not jpg) . . . a temporary measure I hope!

Hi Jono,

glad you managed to capture a little light today... I'm not surprised about the 14-140 - you dropped the 14-150 and that was better.

At least you'll now have the funds for the 20mm f1.7 :D
Maybe, but probably not! I might just cut the crap and get the 85 f1.4 zeiss for the A900 with the proceeds.

p.s. the colour looks a bit 'thin' on these - I'm guessing you've noticed, being familiar with your FF cams?
I know what you mean - I shot AWB and converted in Lightroom to make things simple, I'm not sure that I'll do that again.

jonoslack

HI Ron
You don't know what gobsmacked means?:eek: You MUST be pulling my plonker :ROTFL:

Those are wonderful pictures, Jono! I just got my GF1 three days ago, and I'm enjoying it very much already. It is different enough from the G1 to offer a different sort of picture-taking experience.
Thank you - it's a fun camera isn't it, and nicely thought out, the quick menu rather reminds me of the lovely ricoh interface.
The 14-45 really is a great lens, but do get the 20!
Ah well, I might, but it's not really where it fits in to my life . . . I can see that it'll be hard to resist though.

jonoslack

Hi Terry
Jono -
The ginko leaf looks great. I guess not the easiest exposure to control.
Thanks - actually, i just made sure that the sun was dead behind the leaf, and then pressed the shutter - camera got it right!

Since the launch of the G1 the 14-45 has gotten good reviews...only gripe being speed.

Where does the 14-140 let you down? I have it and this trip will really be the first one where I get a chance to shoot with it.
the 14-45 is fab. Two things with the 14-140
1. it's too big
2. it's too slow

If I'm going to carry that around, I'd rather have the A900 with the 24-105 and the 70-200 - not a big hassle and much better quality - for me the GF1 is about little. Mind you, I might be stuck with it, but I think they'll take it back as it came from their demo camera.

OT - but I was packing up my gear for the trip last night and the difference in size between the Minolta 24-105 and the Zeiss 24-70 is pretty comical. Truly the best $205 photography purchase I've made (I came across that invoice the other day and did a double take)!
Funny - I found the invoice for mine the other day: £156- I was robbed:ROTFL: I was thinking exactly the same thing (best photography purchase ever).

jonoslack

Translated from Brit. english to U.S. english "gobsmacked' = utterly astounded. Though I guess it could be used negatively, I've never seen it; always positive whenever I've seen/heard it.

Jono or another native Brit will correct me if I'm wrong; of that I'm sure. :)
Hi Roger
I certainly would correct you - but you're quite right - it's one of my favorite expressions.

Brian - glad you liked the gingko.

scho

Nice shots Jono. The grapes actually look quite nice in that image. Are they too sweet? Don't let your dog roll in the Gingko fruit :eek:

Regards,
Carl

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
To be honest, I'm disappointed with the 14-140 (going back I think), but I'm gobsmacked by the wonderful little kit zoom - it's REALLY good.
Particularly in the right hands. :salute:

I have a spare Pana 14-45 kit zoom that I'm thinking of selling. I'm tempted to link to these photos to show what the lens can do. Although you might then ask for a commission on the sale... :LOL:

jonoslack

Nice shots Jono. The grapes actually look quite nice in that image. Are they too sweet? Don't let your dog roll in the Gingko fruit :eek:

Regards,
Carl
Carl - I'm a botanist by training, and I never knew about this - I think our tree is either male . . . or there aren't any male trees for fertilisation.

I suspect the truth is that the spoilsport nursery owners have made sure that all the plants are male!

You learn something new every day! Thank you!

As for the grapes - they're very full if seeds and rather small, but it's the first edible crop we've had for 10 years, it is possible to grow grapes successfully around here, but you need to be better gardeners than we are!

jonoslack

Particularly in the right hands. :salute:

I have a spare Pana 14-45 kit zoom that I'm thinking of selling. I'm tempted to link to these photos to show what the lens can do. Although you might then ask for a commission on the sale... :LOL:
Hi There Jonathon
Glad you like the shots - the lens really is good - especially considering the price.
I pint next time we meet up will do!

mark1958

How big is the 14-45 lens. I mean how many inches or cm does it add to the width of the camera? I want to know how it would compare to an LX-3/DLUX4 for example