The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 vs Canon G11

ZoranC

Of course compact can not have low light sensitivity of full frame sensor and of course compact will not be choice for birds in flight etc etc _but_ each tool has it's own place.

So, while I have no side-by-sides to show below is 100% crop from shot I took with G11 after little bit of playing with RAW. More than good enough for certain things, if you ask me.

G

gjhzyy

I actually read this review. There are no comparisons of what I was most interested in. The G11 (or even G10) and the GF1 RAW conversion. I know there are some human variables when RAW images are converted etc etc.. but i just want to get an idea. Moreover, the comparison on the dpreview utilizes the 50mm macro lens and not the 14-45 zoom. :)
I agree with it.

pellicle

Rawfa .. nice comparison link

some interesting viewpoints of the reviewer when comparing to the GF-1:

It's all about trade-offs, isn't it? The G11 (or G10 for that matter) is appealing to serious photographers looking for a always-along camera because of its few manual controls, optical viewfinder, and decent image quality.
ok ... few issues with that ... like the GF-1 has esentially all of that except the optical view finder.

Which brings us to an IQ comparison. At ISO 100 the differences are visible, but it takes some pixel peeping to see them.
well, that or making a A4 print and wondering why there is multi coloured stuff sprinkled through white walls and objects.

but he was surprised when he mad the test ..

I'm not sure what's going on with the G11's white balance, because both cameras were set on Auto WB, and then in Lightroom 3 Beta the white table-top was used as a balance point. The Canon's WB is simply weird. The floor tiles are definitely not orange!

But that aside, the difference in both noise and resolution between the two cameras whacks you upside the head. The GF1 frame looks like it was taken with a DSLR, while the G11 images looks like, well, that it was taken with a pocket camera.
[emphasis mine]

yep ... that's what I'd expect

Rawfa

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised by a similar comparision I've made these days. I've shot similars shots with the LX3 and the E-P1 at base ISO and I was surprised at how little difference there was.