The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic GF1 Oregon Workshop Image thread

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow . I think I fell in love. Terry dropped this off at the airport to me all set-up to rock and roll and Jack and I started to head out to Oregon from San Francisco. We stopped a few places to shoot and the damn thing is just FLAT OUT FUN . I will post some images later tonight going to get dinner but I do have the EVF and i do like it but still getting my feet wet but one thing is for sure it is a blast and shooting in macro mode is just a kick. So since Jack and I are the first to head out this is the official Oregon workshop GF1 thread. As the week progresses hopefully you will see some great images from the attendees. But even before I download I am just smitten with joy. Okay dinner than I will post later I promise . Jack and i had a ball on the way up here. Have to say in public that we so much enjoyed each other's company that is just a shame we live so far apart. Really one of the nicest guy's you want to meet. :thumbs:

D

D upton-Hackett.

Hell these are Gobsmackingly awesome Guy.
Looks like Panasonic have come up trumps with this GF1.

Derek.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks that was get my feet wet day . Try to get some nicer ones today but I am having fun with this and to me if I am not getting paid to shoot for a client than it has to be fun. This is hitting the fun meter in a big way.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We are indeed having a blast hanging out and shooting together! We've seen some beautiful scenery and a surprising amount of decent fall color. Here is Guy in a relaxed setting getting familiar with his GF1 menus and grabbing a few macros:

Guy Mancuso

Yup looking forward to a full day of shooting and scouting bud. Jack has that darn 7-14mm that is about as sweet as you can get. Play with that a little today. I have yet to take a shot with the kit lens as well. The 20mm is a hard lens to take off this cam it is so sweet to shoot

Diane B

Enjoyed these and esp. that you are having fun with them. I just looked at your (Guy's) shots in MF--and so this little camera did decently. Not comparing of course--but it sure is easier to sit on that bench and get that shot LOL I love that 20 also.

bradhusick

Guy, I really like these shots and I look forward to comparing notes with you in Oregon. Nice one, Jack! It's Guy studying his navel.

One of my frustrations with this camera is that sometimes it seems that nothing in the frame is truly in critical focus. For examples, take a look at the tree bark closeup and the log covered in moss. It's tough to find anything in the photo that's truly 100% sharp, even though the composition should lend itself to something being tack sharp. I am just imagining this or is there something to it? The shots of the berries do have sharp focus.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I looked at the downloaded versions of the tree/moss files and they simply show me that they were shot wide open and hence the plane of focus is very very thin, but it's there.

Diane B

I looked at the downloaded versions of the tree/moss files and they simply show me that they were shot wide open and hence the plane of focus is very very thin, but it's there.
Yes, I agree--very thin, but there (I looked at the large dled versions also). Its fun to shoot those type of shots--esp. with this small cam and very nice lens where its unexpected (in terms of generalization about small cams/P & S/deep DOF--which of course this puts the lie to). It is harder to get that focus where you want it though LOL (that's actually not true except with MF lenses--the 20 just snaps to AF).

When you put the info into the DOF calculator for a 1 ft. distance to subject the DOF is only .04 of a foot (the minimum focusing distance of the lens is .66 ft so it means you can get a really thin sliver of DOF).

Last edited:

wjlapier

...and shutter speeds are slow. The grape photo I looked at had a shutter speed of 1/200th. Looks great to me!

Looking forward to more photos and your opinions.

I've had my GF1 for a few days. Very fun camera indeed :thumbup:

bradhusick

Okay, I looked at the moss photo full size and I think this portion (100%) is the sharpest, but to me it still looks a little blurry. Am I expecting too much from this camera?

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Shake destroys fine details. This gets worse with higher and higher pixel density.

1. The shutter is not that quiet (not just the sound of it but how it fares as a total package).

2. Pixel density is too high.

If the same shot is done at 1/200s or higher (for my hand holding), more details will be visible in the focused areas of the moss.

scho

Okay, I looked at the moss photo full size and I think this portion (100%) is the sharpest, but to me it still looks a little blurry. Am I expecting too much from this camera?
No, but you might be expecting too much from the photographer. Assuming this was handheld at 1/30 sec f/1.7 a slight amount of camera movement would be enough to produce some blurring.

Guy Mancuso

Might be me Brad it was low on the ground and lazy me was just bending over. More my shake than it.

Guy Mancuso

I shot some pretty wild things early this morning in the dark and some more normal shots as well. This morning i used a gorilla pod for some things and when you are doing those tight macro things if not pushing the speed up you can get in trouble. Jack and I shot a lot with the GF1 today so we will get posting pretty soon here but again i like how it handles. One thing I thought of and it is a little slippery was some grip tape on the thumb and in the front finger area. Outside a case of course this maybe a good idea. I am going to pick some up unless someone on the workshop has some to bring up. But I think it would help a lot. Also Jack surprised me with a Gorilla pod for it and it is really really a nice tool with a quick release no less. Get the 39 dollar version for this cam though. I had it wrapped around a sign early this morning on the dash of Jacks car. Certainly provided a good laugh.