Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic GF1 Oregon Workshop Image thread

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Panasonic GF1 Oregon Workshop Image thread

Wow . I think I fell in love. Terry dropped this off at the airport to me all set-up to rock and roll and Jack and I started to head out to Oregon from San Francisco. We stopped a few places to shoot and the damn thing is just FLAT OUT FUN . I will post some images later tonight going to get dinner but I do have the EVF and i do like it but still getting my feet wet but one thing is for sure it is a blast and shooting in macro mode is just a kick. So since Jack and I are the first to head out this is the official Oregon workshop GF1 thread. As the week progresses hopefully you will see some great images from the attendees. But even before I download I am just smitten with joy. Okay dinner than I will post later I promise . Jack and i had a ball on the way up here. Have to say in public that we so much enjoyed each other's company that is just a shame we live so far apart. Really one of the nicest guy's you want to meet.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Panasonic GF1 Oregon Workshop Image thread

These are all with the 20mm wide open processed in ACR.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I gave these some juice

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple more

D upton-Hackett.

Hell these are Gobsmackingly awesome Guy.
    Looks like Panasonic have come up trumps with this GF1.

Derek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks that was get my feet wet day . Try to get some nicer ones today but I am having fun with this and to me if I am not getting paid to shoot for a client than it has to be fun. This is hitting the fun meter in a big way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We are indeed having a blast hanging out and shooting together! We've seen some beautiful scenery and a surprising amount of decent fall color. Here is Guy in a relaxed setting getting familiar with his GF1 menus and grabbing a few macros:

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup looking forward to a full day of shooting and scouting bud. Jack has that darn 7-14mm that is about as sweet as you can get. Play with that a little today. I have yet to take a shot with the kit lens as well. The 20mm is a hard lens to take off this cam it is so sweet to shoot

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed these and esp. that you are having fun with them. I just looked at your (Guy's) shots in MF--and so this little camera did decently. Not comparing of course--but it sure is easier to sit on that bench and get that shot LOL I love that 20 also.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Guy is trying to knock out ants ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I really like these shots and I look forward to comparing notes with you in Oregon. Nice one, Jack! It's Guy studying his navel.

One of my frustrations with this camera is that sometimes it seems that nothing in the frame is truly in critical focus. For examples, take a look at the tree bark closeup and the log covered in moss. It's tough to find anything in the photo that's truly 100% sharp, even though the composition should lend itself to something being tack sharp. I am just imagining this or is there something to it? The shots of the berries do have sharp focus.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I looked at the downloaded versions of the tree/moss files and they simply show me that they were shot wide open and hence the plane of focus is very very thin, but it's there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I looked at the downloaded versions of the tree/moss files and they simply show me that they were shot wide open and hence the plane of focus is very very thin, but it's there.
    Yes, I agree--very thin, but there (I looked at the large dled versions also). Its fun to shoot those type of shots--esp. with this small cam and very nice lens where its unexpected (in terms of generalization about small cams/P & S/deep DOF--which of course this puts the lie to). It is harder to get that focus where you want it though LOL (that's actually not true except with MF lenses--the 20 just snaps to AF).

When you put the info into the DOF calculator for a 1 ft. distance to subject the DOF is only .04 of a foot (the minimum focusing distance of the lens is .66 ft so it means you can get a really thin sliver of DOF).
    Last edited by Diane B; 19th October 2009 at 08:14.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    ...and shutter speeds are slow. The grape photo I looked at had a shutter speed of 1/200th. Looks great to me!

Looking forward to more photos and your opinions.

I've had my GF1 for a few days. Very fun camera indeed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, I looked at the moss photo full size and I think this portion (100%) is the sharpest, but to me it still looks a little blurry. Am I expecting too much from this camera?
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:27.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shake destroys fine details. This gets worse with higher and higher pixel density.

1. The shutter is not that quiet (not just the sound of it but how it fares as a total package).

2. Pixel density is too high.

If the same shot is done at 1/200s or higher (for my hand holding), more details will be visible in the focused areas of the moss.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Okay, I looked at the moss photo full size and I think this portion (100%) is the sharpest, but to me it still looks a little blurry. Am I expecting too much from this camera?
    No, but you might be expecting too much from the photographer. Assuming this was handheld at 1/30 sec f/1.7 a slight amount of camera movement would be enough to produce some blurring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Might be me Brad it was low on the ground and lazy me was just bending over. More my shake than it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot some pretty wild things early this morning in the dark and some more normal shots as well. This morning i used a gorilla pod for some things and when you are doing those tight macro things if not pushing the speed up you can get in trouble. Jack and I shot a lot with the GF1 today so we will get posting pretty soon here but again i like how it handles. One thing I thought of and it is a little slippery was some grip tape on the thumb and in the front finger area. Outside a case of course this maybe a good idea. I am going to pick some up unless someone on the workshop has some to bring up. But I think it would help a lot. Also Jack surprised me with a Gorilla pod for it and it is really really a nice tool with a quick release no less. Get the 39 dollar version for this cam though. I had it wrapped around a sign early this morning on the dash of Jacks car. Certainly provided a good laugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Straight jpeg out of camera 45-200zoom at 200

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy and I had a blast with our GF1's today -- they are just sweet to use! Here are a couple from one of the local harbors:

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I shot some pretty wild things early this morning in the dark and some more normal shots as well. This morning i used a gorilla pod for some things and when you are doing those tight macro things if not pushing the speed up you can get in trouble. Jack and I shot a lot with the GF1 today so we will get posting pretty soon here but again i like how it handles. One thing I thought of and it is a little slippery was some grip tape on the thumb and in the front finger area. Outside a case of course this maybe a good idea. I am going to pick some up unless someone on the workshop has some to bring up. But I think it would help a lot. Also Jack surprised me with a Gorilla pod for it and it is really really a nice tool with a quick release no less. Get the 39 dollar version for this cam though. I had it wrapped around a sign early this morning on the dash of Jacks car. Certainly provided a good laugh.
    I've looked at Gorilla pods for almost a year now but was never sure. Your recommendation pushed me--they are silly looking though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Guy and I had a blast with our GF1's today -- they are just sweet to use! Here are a couple from one of the local harbors:

The first cracked me up and really liked the second. The 7-14 is doing terrific--are you sharing it with Guy???

Post Thanks / Like

*sigh*

I just walked home with a 14-45 GF1 kit. I blame all of you....ALL OF YOU!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I won't be too far behind if no extra expenses show up. That 20mm lens is just too sweet.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
    I won't be too far behind if no extra expenses show up. That 20mm lens is just too sweet.
    I just ordered a G1 with the 14-45 on Sunday....and now think I need a 7-14, 45-200 and 20mm as well. Can a GF-1 be far behind? Might be time to give the Canon G10 to my niece.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are really in the dark about 6:30 am waiting for some light in a town called Miranda.

I used the Gorilla pod on both of them 1 is 2.5 seconds or so and the other shorter both at ISO 400

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL these I have to laugh nothing to do but wait for the rain to stop and some light to come up. The first one is a 6 second shot with some car headlights with the 20mm

The second one is just fun a 20 second hand held shot while Jack was driving

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple B&W with the kit lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm processing these all in ACR which is NOT my favorite program at ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Playing around here with processing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last one for tonight Jack using the on camera flash

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Playing around here with processing
    Wow....I love those boats! The GF1 in the right hands is looking good. Which lens? Processing tips?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a lot of fun.. I sold my G11 and ordered the GF1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary you can download them and check the EXIF on each one. But in ACR at least I have been using the clarity about 30 than detail about 50 than I have been adding a touch of saturation to them about plus 8 and vibrance about 2 . Just gives them some punch than my topper is add the vignetting which I like myself. Works great on the boat shots. Really all I am doing is creating some drama to them. A cam like this is fun for me so now is the time when not working with clients to let my hair down as they say and have a little fun with processing. Now obviously I would prefer C1 here but without getting in trouble with Phase you may see some cams like this in the future being supported. Some are some are not YET but I'm working on them and so are a few other folks.

To me this brings back the joy in shooting that when you work commercially it gets lost sometimes. But NOW I see why so many folks are falling in love with these little M4/3rds format. They are just a kick to shoot. BTW the 45-200 is pretty nice but I found with the longer focal lengths it is much easier to use the EVF. So I have it on the camera but don't always use it the Live view i can see very well in daylight and it is fast focusing and nothing worse than that being slower than a turtle . This is a quick machine.One thingI would like is if I could keep the EVF on the same time as the LCD so you don't have to switch between them. Maybe a little more control on this option as well as some folks want to turn it off. Really just a firmware change on this.

Post Thanks / Like

The damn thing is just FLAT OUT FUN.
    All of the posts that debate whether or not the GF-1 should replace your ________ completely miss that point. (Fill in the blank with Leica M8, Canon 5D, Nikon D700, etc. etc.) The GF-1 is just FLAT OUT FUN! Or as Guy says, "They are just a kick to shoot."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I love your B&W pair. Great tones, very moody.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Also Jack surprised me with a Gorilla pod for it and it is really really a nice tool with a quick release no less. Get the 39 dollar version for this cam though. I had it wrapped around a sign early this morning on the dash of Jacks car. Certainly provided a good laugh.
    I ordered mine this morning and got the SLRzoom version and the ballhead--had it 2 day shipped from B & H for my trip next week. See what happens here when someone says they like a product LOL (and reading the MF forum--that could be a --well---hmmmm--maybe an 'interesting' thing for Guy

fullkoll

Nice picture! The little flash seems to do a good job - a bit over sharpened though, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we assume that the large glass in front of Jack is iced tea and not a whisky sour or some such?
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alright here comes a load of images from the GF1 camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even More

Lupo

You have made a rich booty!

Especially the piles fascinated me!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!! Those latest shots are fantastic.... "Gobsmakingly" Fantastic

You "Guy"s are killing me. I am resisting temptation.

I have a G1 & Leica gears. Now I want this GF1 really bad.

I am a Goner... I am a goner have to get one 'em GF1 w/ 20 sooner rather than later.

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, those shots are great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very impressive photos--sharp, well composed and exposed.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

great samples

I really start liking this camera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, Not a lot of good light to play with fingers crossed that today is a bit better. Three from the GF1 with the 7-14 lens. Just realized need to edit posted wrong version on at least one. Only iPhone access right now.

Last edited by Terry; 22nd October 2009 at 07:13.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely images, Terry.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

Very nice images - particularly the last one. When I see some of your shots I keep thing I need the 7-14.

Jim