The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R and Nikkor AIS lenses on G1

bensonga

These are the lenses I'd like to try on my G1 (arriving here soon).

Looks like the Novoflex adapters will work.....any thoughts, experiences or recommendations re these or other adapters?

TIA,

Gary

D

ddk

I have the Voigtlander Nikon to m4/3 adapter and it works perfectly, no issues with any of my lenses yet and the build quality is excellent. This is my only such adapter so I can't offer any comparisons.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I have the Voigtlander Nikon to m4/3 adapter and it works perfectly, no issues with any of my lenses yet and the build quality is excellent...
+1

I also have the Voigtlander Leica M to m4/3 adapter and it matches the Nikon adapter in build quality and performance.

Godfrey

I use Nikon mount lenses on the G1 with a two-adapter setup:

Panasonic DMW-MA1 ... FourThirds to micro-FourThirds adapter (full function)
Fotodiox.com Nikon F to FourThirds mount adapter

That's a total of $160 + $30, however with the DMW-MA1 I can use all Olympus and Panasonic FourThirds SLR lenses as well as obtain inexpensive adapters for third party to FT SLR ... I have and use Pentax K and thread, Nikon and Konica AR (with modification to the original mount) lenses on the G1. Mount adapters for Leica R, Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica and others are easily available at reasonable prices. If you have no interest in FourThirds SLR lenses, you can reduce costs by buying a 'dumb' FourThirds to Micro-FourThirds adapter at half the price. Seller 'jinfinance' on Ebay offers them at $80.

For Leica M, Leica Thread, Olympus Pen, Canon FD, Minolta MC/MD and Konica AR mounts, you need dedicated adapters.

The Panasonic Leica R mount adapter is excellent, but there may be others available of similar quality at lower price if you do the two-adapter setup.

m3photo

Re: Two adapter solution from Jinfinance

I use Nikon mount lenses on the G1 with a two-adapter setup: ../.. Seller 'jinfinance' on Ebay offers them at $80.
I have the "jinfinance" aka "Rong Jin" Nikon lens combo and it works fine. The added advantage is that for little more you can fit another adapter to fit a let's say Pentax lens this time and the Four-Thirds to Micro Four-Thirds part you already have.

bensonga

Thanks for all the great info folks! I'm going to order one of the Panasonic Leica R mount adapters (which should be available soon). Still trying to decide on which adapter for the Nikon lenses. Doesn't sound like anyone is using the Novoflex adapters. I generally like their stuff.

Gary

henningw

I have the jinfinance Nikon adapter and the Panasonic R adapter. I've seen some Novoflex and Voigtlander adapters, and they fall in between in quality. The Panasonic ones seem the best to me, and I also use their M to m43 adapter.

Getting the Panasonic R adapter and the Novoflex or Voigtlander Nikon adapter seems the best route, but you can quickly spend a lot on adapters.

bensonga

Getting the Panasonic R adapter and the Novoflex or Voigtlander Nikon adapter seems the best route, but you can quickly spend a lot on adapters.
Expensive adapters, that's true....but it's still cheap compared to how much I've spent on the Leica R glass in the last 6 months....and now I'll get more use out of them! :) Nice to use all that legacy Nikkor glass too. A couple of adapters will be money well spent I think.

Gary

henningw

Expensive adapters, that's true....but it's still cheap compared to how much I've spent on the Leica R glass in the last 6 months....and now I'll get more use out of them! :) Nice to use all that legacy Nikkor glass too. A couple of adapters will be money well spent I think.
Well, I've certainly spent a lot on adapters, having upwards of 75 right now. Over the last 40 years I've changed systems and bought and sold a lot of items, but I've never sold an adapter.

I don't have much in the way of R lenses, having never gotten into that system, but I got an R mount tube with one of the teles, so now I can use the 400/6.8 and 560/6.8 on the G1. The 560 is a bit of a bear, but the 400 is pretty sweet. If I can I use a monopod, but I've used it handheld as well.

bensonga

Received the Voigtlander micro 4/3rds adapter for my Nikon lenses a few days ago. I'm really happy with the quality of the Voigtlander product! My thanks to all who recommended the Voigtlander adapters.

I tried a few shots with my Nikkor 50mm f1.4 and 28mm f2.8 AIS lenses and as others have said....manual focusing with the G1/GH1/GF1 is superb! This camera is a joy to use with manual focus lenses.

I'm looking forward to the day when Panasonic releases their adapter for the Leica R series lenses.....seems like this has been delayed to December now.

Gary

henningw

Received the Voigtlander micro 4/3rds adapter for my Nikon lenses a few days ago. I'm really happy with the quality of the Voigtlander product! My thanks to all who recommended the Voigtlander adapters.

I tried a few shots with my Nikkor 50mm f1.4 and 28mm f2.8 AIS lenses and as others have said....manual focusing with the G1/GH1/GF1 is superb! This camera is a joy to use with manual focus lenses.

I'm looking forward to the day when Panasonic releases their adapter for the Leica R series lenses.....seems like this has been delayed to December now.

Gary
Strange. I got my Panasonic Leica R (and M) adapters at the beginning of August. They are definitely the best quality ones I've seen but others can get the job done.

I got the jinfinance Nikon adapter, but recently when I looked for another one I saw an adapter with a low price but high shipping. I paid $13.50 for the adapter and $23.50 for the shipping from ebay 'qualitylens' and received it. I like it slightly better than the jinfinance one.

Audii-Dudii

I use Nikon mount lenses on the G1 with a two-adapter setup:

Panasonic DMW-MA1 ... FourThirds to micro-FourThirds adapter (full function)
Fotodiox.com Nikon F to FourThirds mount adapter
I use exactly the same combo as Godfrey and can vouch for its functionality, as seen below with my (NLA and apparently quite rare) F-mount CV12mm lens.

bensonga

Strange. I got my Panasonic Leica R (and M) adapters at the beginning of August. They are definitely the best quality ones I've seen but others can get the job done.
Where did you purchase the Panasonic Leica R micro 4/3rds adapter from? B&W Photo says it won't be available until December now (they had November listed until last week) and Amazon still lists it as available for "pre-Order".

Perhaps a first batch sold out quickly.....which wouldn't surprise me!

Gary

henningw

Where did you purchase the Panasonic Leica R micro 4/3rds adapter from? B&W Photo says it won't be available until December now (they had November listed until last week) and Amazon still lists it as available for "pre-Order".

Perhaps a first batch sold out quickly.....which wouldn't surprise me!
Through a friend in Hong Kong. He does have excellent connections, but I would think there would have been a few more available.

bensonga

Finally.....Amazon has the Panasonic Leica R to Micro 4/3rds adapter available to order (no longer "pre-order").

Placed my order today. They say 1-2 months for delivery. They said the same for the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens I ordered....which arrived in less than 10 days. Maybe I'll get the Leica R adapter in time for the New Year's Eve celebrations? :D

Gary