The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ha ha ha ha - damn did I have fun today

pellicule

My GF1 finally arrived - thanks to Pixmainia.fr - a very good service I have to say. They verified my order and confirmed the delivery date. In the times of credit card fraud this was a welcome service.
It was delivered in 24 hrs. Unfortunately I had to wait for the battery to charge! Oh la la! Then tiptoeing out to my local forrest, I took my D700, the new GF1 and my Gitzo tripod. I was too lazy to use the tripod, and in my post processing was surprised with the results.
I have to say I had high expectations after reading all the blogs and I am not disappointed.
I have not posted the D700 images - I do not want to make a GF1 vs thread instead I just want to show some 'snaps' i took today in the falling light. I was not aware of the low light conditions until I got back to my car.

All wide open 1.7 - Pancake 20mm and hand held.

enjoy:

A bit of manual focus:

pellicule

nope me neither - sometime I really HATE technology
so once again I cut'n'f'n'paste the links
but no images ...
i tried three times to upload my images to my account - i thought that would be easier.
Then I did the Flickr stuff and thought i could add the link via the little yellow, square over the mountain icon ..... enough .. I prefer to 'snap' :)

pellicule

I guess one of the best parts was using the display to frame. No need to get on my belly to frame the shot near the ground, i suppose that is why there were so many in that style.
I used Silkypix - as I'm on the Mac, it is not the fastest, but it seems to work for now. Once I got a decent white balance - the built in camera seems rather cool - the a simple jpeg export to go towards Aperture is enough.

sorry but its been a long day - first the camera settings are new for me after 5 years of nikon, then silkypix settings were also new, and then the site upload was just too much.

another day - another time maybe.

Joan

pellicule,

If you right click your mouse and choose "copy image location" & then paste that URL in the insert image box when writing your post, it should show up, as it does here.

Hope this helps, and nice shots - I like 'em!

pellicle

Hi

sometime I really HATE technology
Then I did the Flickr stuff and thought i could add the link via the little yellow, square over the mountain icon
close ... when you use the flickr page you need to just grab the "photo's URL" and paste that into the dialog box from the yellow mountain icon.

As it turns out this is more or less exactly the same link you'll get if you right click on the image and copy image location from the flickr page which displays the image where people can comment

for instance this

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2421/4003458485_25597e68d3.jpg

is this

pellicule

Ah - I nearly guessed it right - I just coped the URL for the page instead of the image. Doh.
I found the in camera Auto White Balance to be a little cool, I used the Auto White Balance in Silkypix and it warmed up nicely. Very similar the the D700. No other edits - export to jpg at 95%.
I also found that I made some of the photos at 1/10th and 1/20th which have not too much camera shake - I wasn't looking at the info on the display.
When I got back I read the manual and will be better armed to do things like move the focus spot. Change its size .. etc.

so here goes:

I used the manual focus option.

This little mound was a couple of inches from the ground - the live display made it easy to compose - using my D700 was much more difficult - yes I could have used Live View - but it is too much bother.

Just walking in the forrest:

PeterA

I learned two things in this thread:

1. How to copy a flickr photo onto a thread ! and
2. That the GF-1 looks like it would a lot of fun carry around camera .

So thanks to you both!

btw - some nice forest shots there to.