The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 vs G1 (or GH1) vs LX3

peterb

I own the G1 and LOVE it. And while I was intrigued with the GF1 I realize I would definitely want the EVF (or some finder) that's available (for an additional $200) and that would, as Reichmann of the Luminous Landscape put it, bring the profile of the GF1 closer to the G1 (which when I saw it originally was instantly sold on it because I realized it was about the same size as the M8 or M9).

Plus, the attached EVF doesn't hold a candle to the one in the G1 in terms of clarity and information. And manually focusing optics (like many folks use on M lenses or the luscious Zuikos I've read about or even the Leica 14-50mm f2.8 for the 4/3s to great success) via the adapter with the G1 EVF would be far more accurate than through the add-on for the GF1. And with some of these lenses you need all the help you can get.

Also, not that it's a deal breaker, I like the the articulating LCD on the G1 which can either be swung out (which I've found handy on low level shots) or reversed to remain totally hidden (and off to save power). A feature you forfeit on the GF1.

What's more, I realized with the 20mm f1.7 pancake lens (which you can buy separately), the profile of the G1 would still be really quite small and reasonably unobtrusive. (Again vs the digital M's and most certainly vs ANY DSLR). And when you consider the G1's relatively muted shutter, about as quiet as the digital M's.

Finally, I wonder whether larger lenses on the GF1 would make the unit as a whole a little unwieldy.

So what's the appeal of the GF1 other than a slightly larger and more sophisticated point and shoot?

(The LX3 with its 24mm - 70mm f2.0 (equiv in 35mm speak) lens and ITS optical finder seems like a better back up still.)

Would love to hear some of your thoughts.

monza

For me, it's just video. I paid $468 new for my G1 last November. The GF1 is a great little camera, but I can't see replacing the G1 with it. For me it only makes sense to add the GF1 as a second body...

Diane B

Like Robert, I added it as a second body, which I wanted for travel esp. I also wanted to play with video and knew that I wanted the 20 f/1.7. I got my G1 for $530 in December so this is more expensive (esp. as I added the EVF), but it will be nice to have the 20 on the GF1 and another lens on the G1 next week. OTOH, the cost of the GF1 wasn't unreasonable taking away the cost of the 20 (which I would have bought anyhow). I wouldn't choose it as my only m4/3rds body, for sure. Longer or larger lenses are better on the G1 body and shooting with MF lenses will likely be better in really bad light conditions (either very dark or very bright).

Rawfa

I've shot over 5000 photos with the E-P1 (I know it doesn't have the same sensor as the GF1, but it’s the same size so let's use it as an example for practical purposes) and I have also shot over 5000 photos with the LX3. What I can say is that up to iso 200 I really don't see THAT MUCH of a difference. The E-P1 wins on how much it allows you to work on the RAW files (the LX3 is good, but it cannot take as big of a pound as the E-P1), low light (I've shot some iso 1600 with the LX3 but it's really an art to make them look good, whereas the E-P1's are totally usable), and of course you're able to use mostly any lens on the planet. I've read in many places that the GF1's performance should be almost identical to the G1, which made me ponder many times if it wasn't a better deal to get a used G1 instead (for the price) and then get the 20mm...But if you add the price you'll pay for a used G1 and a new 20mm it's basically the same you'll pay for a new GF1 with the 20mm. So, investment wise if you have the money and you have to choose I’d just get the GF1.

V

Vivek

But if you add the price you'll pay for a used G1 and a new 20mm it's basically the same you'll pay for a new GF1 with the 20mm.
You are forgetting the price of the "optional" EVF which is built-in in the G1.
Also, you can't easily move the TFT screen on the back the GF-1.

The GF-1 under featured (for still photography) and over priced.