The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 yes, heavy Nikon gear not unless I have to.

cdnguyen

I had D700, M8, 5D and G1 systems at one time and now I'm down to M8, 5D + R lenses and G1. IQ from 4/3rds are ok to me and not comparable to FF. I'm thinking about getting rid of m4/3rds and just keep the Dlux4 for that purpose. I'm waiting for mirrorless APS-C generation of cameras to come out. Else M8/M9 are king of the hill right now as far as high quality lenses + small package combo. M9 is Z smallest FF camera in the world !

mark1958

While the M9 is likely the king, my aging eyesight makes manual focus in these cameras less desirable for us middle aged folks..

Else M8/M9 are king of the hill right now as far as high quality lenses + small package combo. M9 is Z smallest FF camera in the world !

s.agar

Hi Mark,

The M8, (and a few lenses to take along) costs way too much to risk leaving the camera in the car.

Don't let anyone know that there's always a camera in my car. The last time someone got in to take out the CD/navigation combo didn't notice the GRDII fortunately. But don't tell it to my insurance agency, who is BTW a member of this forum. Fortunately he doesn't check the 4/3 area.

Seyhun

Seyhun
What about your M8? HOw does that compare and why not use that are your small "car" camera?

pellicle

Hi

While the M9 is likely the king, my aging eyesight makes manual focus in these cameras less desirable for us middle aged folks..
err ... wondering if you've used a Leica type rangefinder ... compared to SLR's they work rather differently and even if your eyes are blurry from a heavy night after a conference start you (well I) can manage to match the images in the viewfinder (even if I can't focus on them).

pellicule

I had an M8 great images of course outstanding lenses - absolutely loved the feel of the camera but I was a very slow operator.

If the subject was stationary then that was fine - probably a good 90%+ hit rate on the focus, but once the subject started to move then my chances of getting the thing focussed in time dropped dramatically.

I was mostly using a Chrome 50mm Summulux so maybe 1.4 is ambitious.

It was also disappointingly loud! No stealth options - this was before the .2 upgrade.

What I like about the GF1 is its small package - much lighter than the M8 + Summilux- I like the 20 mm pancake (quite a good lens) - unashamedly I use the Auto Focus - I have a Leicatime wrist strap and can walk all day with it hanging from my hand read to go. It has an unobtrusive low key feel of the point-n-shoot holiday makers and I do not scream at people - professional - well one has to dream :) ..

At the moment I am carrying both with me, but the D700 is staying in my backpack and the GF1 is at my wrist.

m3photo

I am a Bore

I ask this many times.
Apart from that "Leica look" etc.
Is there really a $6000 difference in image results between an M9 + 50mm and a GF1 + 20mm?
I mean printing it up to let's say 16x20 inches.
I'm only asking, 'cos that amount around yer neck in many streets these days is risky to say the least.
I could stretch (the bank manager) to an M9, I'd really love to but is it really a "must" street shooter's gear?

s.agar

I think GF1 with 20/1.7 makes a perfect setup for street photos, especially at higher ISO settings. I'm still waiting for my 20/1.7 lens, to give it a try.

mark1958

I did some tests with my canon 5DII and 24-105mm L IS vs the GF1 14-45mm at 3 focal lengths from the same distance. I even upsized some of the GF1 images so some points of detail were the same size. While the 5DII was still sharper and provided a bit more detail, the differences were not as great as I might have expected. The colors were quite similar as well. I realize the 24-105 L IS is not the best glass --- i am still quite amazed at what this little camera can do.

pellicle

Hi

I did some tests with my canon 5DII and 24-105mm L IS vs the GF1 14-45mm at 3 focal lengths from the same distance....While the 5DII was still sharper and provided a bit more detail, the differences were not as great as I might have expected.... i am still quite amazed at what this little camera can do.
while I've not had the opportunity to compare with a 5DII my comparison with a older 5D was enough to buy the G1

I think the only thing I miss is that there is a character to wide angle images which is different on the larger formats ... I still like the feel of my Oly 21mm on 35mm film

but I am reluctant to pay the price or the penalty in weight

so I keep an OM-10 with the 21 on it up my sleeve

;-)

m3photo

Re: G1 vs 5D

... while I've not had the opportunity to compare with a 5DII my comparison with a older 5D was enough to buy the G1
My case also. As I had some left over Nikkor primes from another era I even sold all the Canon gear and at present just have the G1 with adapters for the Nikon lenses. The image quality and ease of use from this little camera never cease to amaze me - also, I mentioned a few months ago here that its rendering of cloudy skies is marvellous.