Site Sponsors

Thread: GF1 yes, heavy Nikon gear not unless I have to.

Kevin_b1

GF1 yes, heavy Nikon gear not unless I have to.

I have been using my GF1 for about 2-3 weeks and enjoying it.

This week I did a job at my wifes school, so out come the Nikons and f2.8 lens, this is the first time I have used the Nikons since the GF1 arrived (I do not do photography for a living).

What a suprise I did not like using the Nikons big heavy, cumbersome and not enjoyable, yes the results where good as you would expect from pro gear.

The next day i went out with the GF1 and enjoyed the day walked for hours did not get tired from carrying a heavy bag and took hundreds of shots.

I know the GF1 can not replace the Nikons for a paid or where expectable results are required, but I am fast coming to the conclusion that this will be the only time I pick up the heavy Nikons and lens.

How many other people are finding this change of atitude?

regards

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GF1 yes, heavy Nikon gear not unless I have to.

HI Kevin. I do a lot of traveling for work and sometimes i have very little time to do some exploring. In the past I have taken my 5DII and 2 or 3 lenses and even a tripod. I pack in my carry on and try to fit all my clothes and tripod in this bag. If i got someplace for a longer period such as the mountains of Colorado or Iceland, I have packed a backpack or even a carryon (Thinktank roller) full of gear. I am traveling again to Asia but only a few days. I am not going to bring my GH1, the 14-45 and 7-14mm (on order). I will likely bring my table top tripod as well. I agree that the images are not quite to what i can get with my 5DII but i can carry this camera with me everywhere. I shall see after this trip how it goes but i am excited not to have to bring my DSLR gear, which I was originally planning to do. I wish I would have had this camera in Iceland. I was on family vacation and while my LX-3 did well on Glacier hikes and when with family when i did not have my medium format gear on hand, this camera would have been perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kevin,

I'm enjoying the GF1 quite a lot for a few weeks now. I feel like you have most of the time.

But my situation is even more difficult than yours, because for any serious work I have to take my MF system with me. (I'm not taking photos for a living, but I try to make documentary work for ancient sites in Turkey and abroad).

But it is justified, because traveling far from home, facing a lot of difficulties in trying to find the places, you have the opportunity of photographing many of the places for once in a lifetime. Then it becomes very important to do the best that you can do with your gear, and in my case it is the MF system. Canon 5DII is only a backup.

What I do with the GF1 is to put it in the car all the time, for unexpected things to happen or not to miss a good photo opportunity any other time.

BTW, I think the GF1 is the most enjoyable camera that I use. Now I'm in the process of buying the 2 other lenses. In a very small bag, it will be ready for anything to come along.

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

ChrisJ

This is exactly the reason I bought my G1, the complete kit weighs less than my Sigma 70 - 200mm f2.8 alone, let alone all the other lenses and, oh yes, the camera.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Seyhun
    What about your M8? HOw does that compare and why not use that are your small "car" camera? I agree, if i go somewhere that I want to do a lot of shooting, I will bring my MF gear and my GF-1, like I used to bring my LX-3. However, for me a few days here and there when most of the time I will be attending conferences etc, probably not worth bringing too much. Plus I never want to get past the carryon limit unless of course with the family on vacation and/or if I am going to a skiing location in the winter where all my winter gear will not make it into a carryon suitcase. I spent a week in Spain at a conference resort and had a tripod, ballhead, 5DII, three lenses and lots of accessories take up half my carry on suitcase (or even more than half) and still managed to fit all of my clothing. I was told it was going to be warmer than it was so a bit cold walking around in shorts all day . Anyway, i will see when i go to Japan and Hk for 4 or 5 days if i regret not having my canon gear with me.

I should also point out my back has given me some problems and I am not supposed to wear heavy backpacks or shoulder bags so the GF1 may be important to my health

The only problem i see is starting to get too many accessories-- e.g. lenses, flashes filters etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    Kevin,

I'm enjoying the GF1 quite a lot for a few weeks now. I feel like you have most of the time.

But my situation is even more difficult than yours, because for any serious work I have to take my MF system with me. (I'm not taking photos for a living, but I try to make documentary work for ancient sites in Turkey and abroad).

But it is justified, because traveling far from home, facing a lot of difficulties in trying to find the places, you have the opportunity of photographing many of the places for once in a lifetime. Then it becomes very important to do the best that you can do with your gear, and in my case it is the MF system. Canon 5DII is only a backup.

What I do with the GF1 is to put it in the car all the time, for unexpected things to happen or not to miss a good photo opportunity any other time.

BTW, I think the GF1 is the most enjoyable camera that I use. Now I'm in the process of buying the 2 other lenses. In a very small bag, it will be ready for anything to come along.

Seyhun

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When operated with the kitzooms, not even a G1 is versatile enough to replace any Nikon cams, for me.

G1 and small/fast primes- that is another story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

as an owner of a e-p1 and a olympus 510, and someone considering either a d700 or a 5d here are my thoughts

the micro four thirds cameras such as the e-p1 and the gf 1 do offer a big step up imagewise from a point and shoot... but they are flawed in the sense that they are designed to be used at arms length or in a stealth street shooter mode... this they do very well.... but

I miss the eye to viewfinder experience of the SLR. My Oly 510 is a wonderful camera... the lenses are superb and the bodies are small and light.

However i do crave full frame... but all the full frame digital slrs are big and heavy.

I live in hope that technology will soon deliver a full frame digital slr with the dimensions of the Nikon EM/FG20 i shot with in the past or the old OM-1 that sits on my camera shelf...

cheers

K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post

However i do crave full frame... but all the full frame digital slrs are big and heavy.

I live in hope that technology will soon deliver a full frame digital slr with the dimensions of the Nikon EM/FG20 i shot with in the past or the old OM-1 that sits on my camera shelf...

cheers

K
    The future is here !!! It's called

the M9

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kevin,
    From everything that I read in these and other forums, the larger the sensor the better the IQ. I was reading the pro forum (yes they let amateurs read that forum) on dpreview and they were discussing the difference in quality between a Hasselblad H2 and full frame DSLR's. The pro indicated that for studio use at lower ISO, the IQ and resolution was superior to the 35mm full frame.

There is a pecking order, for those photographers who want the best IQ, highest resolution, and largest DR, they have to pay for the largest sensor can afford, and best lenses available. They also pay in bulk and weight-- that appears to be compromise. I chose the Panasonic G1 because it is small and light and provides me with good IQ consistent for the photos I print.

I work in Los Angeles and when I walk to lunch, I periodically see and speak to paparatazzi (excuse the spelling). They have great cameras with big lenses and I have had the opportunity to hold some of their outfits. They are heavy. My suggestion to you is to when you purchase your full frame camera and assortment of lenses, that you factor in the cost of a gym to build yourself up so you can carry your camera and lenses.

In any case good luck with your full frame DSLR when you get it and may you take many outstanding photos.

Post Thanks / Like

there are those who talk the talk and then there are those who are seasoned in it.

train in the gym indeed ... spoken like someone who hasn't had to bundle that kitload around conferences as the conference photographer for a few days at a time (or a 5 hour day at a wedding shoot).

My suggestion is to go out to the park and take one picture with the same care and attention you'd put into a banf glacier shot. Then get it printed to 50cm wide and see if you think its ok

otherwise go grab a 10x8 camera and see what IQ is really all about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the EP1 for scouting; if I find something, I can make a note of it, and return with the 5D2. But then I'm not a pro.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm finding that I enjoy using the GF-1 immensely as a travel camera system. However, as good as the GF-1 results are (and I'm impressed so far!), I won't be selling the Nikon or Leica gear any time soon. I find that when the light is good and the DR isn't too extreme, the GF-1 does well. Extend the range too far and the GF-1 quickly blows out highlights or blocks up shadows with noise.

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin

I have a D700, but I use primes - not sooo heavy to carry around and faster. I know there are an infinite number of possibilities with a zoom, but to be honest I tended to use the zooms at either end - eg a 70 - 210 I'd be using at 70 or 210 not often in the middle.

So I have a GF1 for my pocket and a D700 for 'proper' assignments ... like the cat's portrait.

Post Thanks / Like

Pellicule

I think I have seen some of those portraits ... shame on you for not gracing us with one ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

this thread could get very confusing - 2 Kevins plus a Pellicle and a Pellicule !!!!

K

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_b1 View Post
    ...only time I pick up the heavy Nikons and lens.

How many other people are finding this change of atitude?
    I know of at least one professional who is trialing G1 and M9 combo to replace his D3X Nikon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    this thread could get very confusing - 2 Kevins plus a Pellicle and a Pellicule !!!!

K
    Sort of like, Olympus 400, 410, 420,....

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

I know of at least one professional who is trialing G1 and M9 combo to replace his D3X Nikon.
    This seems like a stretch to me. For grip 'n grins etc I could see it but you don't need a D3x for that. I can see the M9 delivering similar tonality and image quality as the Nikon but the G1/D3x comparison falls apart very quickly (I shoot a D3x & D700 myself in addition to my GF-1).

You'd certainly need to weigh up your image quality requirements vs weight/convenience for such a trade off IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Pellicule

I think I have seen some of those portraits ... shame on you for not gracing us with one ;-)
    Ha ha ha:

This was with a D70 and an 80-400 zoom to get the tight frame - I didn't fancy doing the "Zoom Shuffle" with my 85 1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I currently use a Nikon DX camera that's a little too heavy for me to carry around comfortably for very long, so I've been dithering about whether to try a GF1 or GH1 instead. It's been interesting and useful to see the comments in this thread; thanks, all. I plan to drop by my local big camera store and see if I can take a couple of test shots with one of those and with my Nikon to compare, and then decide if the reduction in size & weight are worth the reduction in image quality for me...

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

I had D700, M8, 5D and G1 systems at one time and now I'm down to M8, 5D + R lenses and G1. IQ from 4/3rds are ok to me and not comparable to FF. I'm thinking about getting rid of m4/3rds and just keep the Dlux4 for that purpose. I'm waiting for mirrorless APS-C generation of cameras to come out. Else M8/M9 are king of the hill right now as far as high quality lenses + small package combo. M9 is Z smallest FF camera in the world !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicule View Post
    Ha ha ha:

to quote from Tweety:

I did ... I did ... I did see a puddy tat

hope he's house trained ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

While the M9 is likely the king, my aging eyesight makes manual focus in these cameras less desirable for us middle aged folks..

Quote Originally Posted by cdnguyen View Post
    Else M8/M9 are king of the hill right now as far as high quality lenses + small package combo. M9 is Z smallest FF camera in the world !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mark,

The M8, (and a few lenses to take along) costs way too much to risk leaving the camera in the car.

Don't let anyone know that there's always a camera in my car. The last time someone got in to take out the CD/navigation combo didn't notice the GRDII fortunately. But don't tell it to my insurance agency, who is BTW a member of this forum. Fortunately he doesn't check the 4/3 area.

Seyhun

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Seyhun
    What about your M8? HOw does that compare and why not use that are your small "car" camera?
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

While the M9 is likely the king, my aging eyesight makes manual focus in these cameras less desirable for us middle aged folks..
    err ... wondering if you've used a Leica type rangefinder ... compared to SLR's they work rather differently and even if your eyes are blurry from a heavy night after a conference start you (well I) can manage to match the images in the viewfinder (even if I can't focus on them).

Post Thanks / Like

I had an M8 great images of course outstanding lenses - absolutely loved the feel of the camera but I was a very slow operator.

If the subject was stationary then that was fine - probably a good 90%+ hit rate on the focus, but once the subject started to move then my chances of getting the thing focussed in time dropped dramatically.

I was mostly using a Chrome 50mm Summulux so maybe 1.4 is ambitious.

It was also disappointingly loud! No stealth options - this was before the .2 upgrade.

What I like about the GF1 is its small package - much lighter than the M8 + Summilux- I like the 20 mm pancake (quite a good lens) - unashamedly I use the Auto Focus - I have a Leicatime wrist strap and can walk all day with it hanging from my hand read to go. It has an unobtrusive low key feel of the point-n-shoot holiday makers and I do not scream at people - professional - well one has to dream ..

At the moment I am carrying both with me, but the D700 is staying in my backpack and the GF1 is at my wrist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am a Bore

I ask this many times.
    Apart from that "Leica look" etc.
    Is there really a $6000 difference in image results between an M9 + 50mm and a GF1 + 20mm?
    I mean printing it up to let's say 16x20 inches.
    I'm only asking, 'cos that amount around yer neck in many streets these days is risky to say the least.
    I could stretch (the bank manager) to an M9, I'd really love to but is it really a "must" street shooter's gear?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am a Bore

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    I could stretch (the bank manager) to an M9, I'd really love to but is it really a "must" street shooter's gear?
    well I don't see that it is ...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am a Bore

well I don't see that it is ...
    me neither.

But don't forget that it is trendy to stick black tape over the lettering so nobody knows what you have

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think GF1 with 20/1.7 makes a perfect setup for street photos, especially at higher ISO settings. I'm still waiting for my 20/1.7 lens, to give it a try.
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I did some tests with my canon 5DII and 24-105mm L IS vs the GF1 14-45mm at 3 focal lengths from the same distance. I even upsized some of the GF1 images so some points of detail were the same size. While the 5DII was still sharper and provided a bit more detail, the differences were not as great as I might have expected. The colors were quite similar as well. I realize the 24-105 L IS is not the best glass --- i am still quite amazed at what this little camera can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I did some tests with my canon 5DII and 24-105mm L IS vs the GF1 14-45mm at 3 focal lengths from the same distance....While the 5DII was still sharper and provided a bit more detail, the differences were not as great as I might have expected.... i am still quite amazed at what this little camera can do.
    while I've not had the opportunity to compare with a 5DII my comparison with a older 5D was enough to buy the G1

I think the only thing I miss is that there is a character to wide angle images which is different on the larger formats ... I still like the feel of my Oly 21mm on 35mm film

but I am reluctant to pay the price or the penalty in weight

so I keep an OM-10 with the 21 on it up my sleeve

;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: G1 vs 5D

... while I've not had the opportunity to compare with a 5DII my comparison with a older 5D was enough to buy the G1
    My case also. As I had some left over Nikkor primes from another era I even sold all the Canon gear and at present just have the G1 with adapters for the Nikon lenses. The image quality and ease of use from this little camera never cease to amaze me - also, I mentioned a few months ago here that its rendering of cloudy skies is marvellous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: G1 vs 5D

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    G1 with adapters for the Nikon lenses
    The same here, the G1 with prime and zoomlenses from Nikon do give great results IMHO

I just purchased from evilbay a 180/2.8 ED and I cannot wait to use it

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/