The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does your m43 to FD adapter have some play?

M

meilicke

Hi all,

A few days ago I received an RJ adapter, but it has a bit of play when attached to the camera axially, like it is not firmly seated (but it is, it clicks into place). Also the ring that engages the aperture just barely stays in place. It is very easy to knock it off, resulting in a wide open lens.

For those of you who have this adapter, is this normal?

Thanks,
-Scott

pellicle

Hi

not on the FD but on the OM from him. But check carefully that the screws in the mount (holding the chromed part to the adaptor) are firm ... my sample wasn't.

See my blog for details (scroll to postscriptum at the bottom for specifics).

I'm using the Ciecio7 one at the moment.

photoSmart42

My FD adapter from RJ didn't work at all with the older breech lock FD/FL lenses, although it works fine with the bayonet ones. I had issues with the clearances on the lens side, which didn't allow the lens locking ring to fully turn. The camera side fit fine for me. I sent it back. Looks like it was a non-standard version (didn't have the green alignment dot on the outside). I'm hoping to get a replacement that works soon so I can finally start using my FD/FL lenses. Seems like they might be having some quality control issues.

pellicle

PhotoSmart42's point is interesting

I have breech lock extension tubes, and they work nicely with the Ciecio7 ...

its a cheaper adaptor too

M

meilicke

Hrm, Photosmart, I'm not sure my FL lenses are fully locking either. I'll have to check when I get home. I also don't have a green dot (?). Maybe I got yours :)

Thanks for the Ciecio7 advise Pellicle. As I tried out my FDs, I came to the conclusion that I don't need the rotating aperture ring, so that adapter should be fine. Does it fit snugly to your camera?

-Scott

m3photo

Mine's a double set from RJ: m4/3rds to 4/3rds and then the Nikon to 4/3rds ring - they've always had some play but I live with it as the images are unaffected.

JBurnett

I have the RJ adapter and nFD lenses. The adapter fits snugly both to the camera body and to the lenses.

M

meilicke

OK, thanks. Does the aperture ring on the adapter stay put? I am still not home to try tightening the screws to see if that helps.

-Scott

JBurnett

Aperture ring on my adapter stays put, too. Good luck with yours. I've read some posts indicating that RJ is pretty responsive if there's a problem.

photoSmart42

Aperture ring on my adapter stays put, too. Good luck with yours. I've read some posts indicating that RJ is pretty responsive if there's a problem.
He's been pretty responsive. The downside is waiting for the stuff to ship back and forth to China (3-4 weeks each way). So I'm hoping to be able to use my FD lenses after waiting about 3 months from initial order.

As an aside, I don't have an issue with the aperture ring on the adapter from locking. It works fine. My issue has been with the lens locking ring locking, which prevents me from going to max aperture with my lenses. nFD lenses work fine (I just don't have any since they're more expensive).

pellicle

Hi

Thanks for the Ciecio7 advise Pellicle. As I tried out my FDs, I came to the conclusion that I don't need the rotating aperture ring, so that adapter should be fine. Does it fit snugly to your camera?
yep ... they're made from a single tooled bit of alloy ... the new ones don't even have a 'pin' anymore its all tooled. I've got a mate in computer lathing and he reckons its top notch work.

See my blog and here.

M

meilicke

Hi

yep ... they're made from a single tooled bit of alloy ... the new ones don't even have a 'pin' anymore its all tooled. I've got a mate in computer lathing and he reckons its top notch work.

See my blog and here.
your blog was very useful in deciding which adapter to with, so thank you for posting your experiences.

As far as RJ goes, he has been very prompt and courtious. My guess is that the adapter will go back, but I will wait a bit to see if anything can be done. I do not relish taking the time for all of the shipping. :)

Thanks everyone!

Scott