The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly 9-18 lens on G1 or GH1?

sangio

Hi Folks;

I'm leaning towards the Oly 9-18 rather than the Pana 7-14 to use with a G1 mainly because of the ability to use ND and polarizing filters with the Oly. I was wondering if anyone using this lens with a G1/GF1/GH1 could comment on how well this combination works. I know the lens will CDAF on the Panasonics, but is it reasonably fast and accurate? Does it feel balanced on these cameras?

regards
Santo

cap'n bill

I have used a borrowed 9-18mm for a short time. It feels OK, it's not a heavy lens. Autofocus works, but not very snappily. It's not a bad option and the focal length range makes it more generally usful than the 7-14mm thouth those extra mm at the short end make a huge difference if you really need ultrawide angle.

pellicle

Hi

I also picked min for the possiblity of using filters ... but I think they might obstruct it at 9mm ... haven't tried yet.

but is it reasonably fast and accurate? Does it feel balanced on these cameras?
no and no ... I am stunned how whirr whirr this lens is ... worse AF experience think back to the 80's

however the upside is that focus by wire works :)

balanced ... well the lens is much bigger than the camera, but I don't mind it somehow

just wish the AF didn't take longer than my Coolpix does

sorry about the animated gif quality

but it sorta reminds me of the Sony 707 digicam

I find wide options on the G1 to be vexed ... though I'm sure as many will be happy with the 7-14 ... I'd consider selling you mine but I'm in the EU and you're in Canada ... so the taxes would smack the price around

sangio

Thanks for the replies.
I'll have to go to my local store and test it to see how slow and how noisy it is.

regards
Santo