The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small Case for GF1 + 20mm

ggibson

I looked around for the smallest case I could find. A thread on DPReview suggested the Lowepro Rezo 60, which I handled in the store and found to be somewhat taller than necessary, plus the flap has basically no function at all. Then I found the Ape Case AC165, which fits perfectly and is even smaller than the Lowepro. I ordered it from Walmart.com for $12.77 shipped :D Some photos:

Side-by-side, it is barely larger than the GF1 itself:

Loads from the top, with a front pocket that could be used for probably a single filter or extra battery. Two interior mesh nets with elastic in the main pocket:

I'd prefer a red interior to match the GF1, but the yellow is decent. I might get a wrist-strap for my GF1 instead of the neck strap:

Fully closed, neck strap inside. The case comes with its own neck/shoulder strap. Side mesh pockets are small, so I don't know what I can fit in there (maybe a pocket tripod?). It has a belt loop on the back which is sewn:

Overall quality is decent but not amazing. I just want enough padding that I don't have to worry about throwing it in a suitcase or gym bag, and it works well in that regard. The camera slides in and out easily, but isn't loose, which is the main thing.

L

Linh

Nice, I'm looking for the same thing. Except, I want it to accommodate the EVF, too.

The Terraclime 50 has come up, and it'll fit, but I'm a little worried about the lack of padding when it's in my bigger messenger bag. The 100 would work, but sorta defeats the small compactness as I could easily fit the 40D+30/1.4 in there instead, heh.

Optech has the soft pack "D-Small" that should fit the GF1/20, but nothing else really.

J

jerryk

I ended up with a case for a Sony Cybershot camera. They had them on sale at Best buy for $20 or so. It fits on your belt or shoulder. There are two pockets in the front. One is just big enough for the battery and the other has space for a few SD cards. I attach the EVF case to the lug for the shoulder strap.

ggibson

Hah, yeah I checked out Best Buy to see if they had anything and saw that the Sony Cybershot cases would probably fit. I considered it a bit blasphemous to carry my GF1 around in one though ;-)

I cant' comment on the EVF, but it might fit into the Ape Case if removed (I'm thinking above the lens in pic 3). Otherwise, I found that small camcorder cases weren't too large but could easily accommodate the GF1+20mm with room to spare.

J

jerryk

Hah, yeah I checked out Best Buy to see if they had anything and saw that the Sony Cybershot cases would probably fit. I considered it a bit blasphemous to carry my GF1 around in one though ;-)
Believe me I thought long and hard before I bought it. But I figured that if I really hated it I could fix the problem with a felt marker or some gaffer's tape. In the end the size and utility of the case won out.

As far as having the EVF on the camera. My 2 cents is the EVF is nice when you need it, but I am not finding as many situations where I really need the EVF as I thought I would. If the EVF were higher resolution and wider this might change. But as it is, having the EVF attached to case is fine.