Site Sponsors

Thread: Small Case for GF1 + 20mm

Post Thanks / Like

Small Case for GF1 + 20mm

I looked around for the smallest case I could find. A thread on DPReview suggested the Lowepro Rezo 60, which I handled in the store and found to be somewhat taller than necessary, plus the flap has basically no function at all. Then I found the Ape Case AC165, which fits perfectly and is even smaller than the Lowepro. I ordered it from Walmart.com for $12.77 shipped Some photos:

Side-by-side, it is barely larger than the GF1 itself:

Loads from the top, with a front pocket that could be used for probably a single filter or extra battery. Two interior mesh nets with elastic in the main pocket:

I'd prefer a red interior to match the GF1, but the yellow is decent. I might get a wrist-strap for my GF1 instead of the neck strap:

Fully closed, neck strap inside. The case comes with its own neck/shoulder strap. Side mesh pockets are small, so I don't know what I can fit in there (maybe a pocket tripod?). It has a belt loop on the back which is sewn:

Overall quality is decent but not amazing. I just want enough padding that I don't have to worry about throwing it in a suitcase or gym bag, and it works well in that regard. The camera slides in and out easily, but isn't loose, which is the main thing.

Linh

Re: Small Case for GF1 + 20mm

Nice, I'm looking for the same thing. Except, I want it to accommodate the EVF, too.

The Terraclime 50 has come up, and it'll fit, but I'm a little worried about the lack of padding when it's in my bigger messenger bag. The 100 would work, but sorta defeats the small compactness as I could easily fit the 40D+30/1.4 in there instead, heh.

Optech has the soft pack "D-Small" that should fit the GF1/20, but nothing else really.

Post Thanks / Like

The smallest i have found for the GF1 and 14-45 attached is the Lowepro Apex 100

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking I might use a Terraclime 100 for my GF1 kit, but decided to try out my Mountainsmith Reflex II bag and see if it would do the job. Two compartments--one for the GF1 and 20/1.7 mounted and the other for the 14-45 lens. Plenty of pockets for misc stuff. I can take some pics if someone wants to see it. Mine is the medium size I think in black color.

http://www.mountainsmith.com/product...bCategory2Id=0

jerryk

I ended up with a case for a Sony Cybershot camera. They had them on sale at Best buy for $20 or so. It fits on your belt or shoulder. There are two pockets in the front. One is just big enough for the battery and the other has space for a few SD cards. I attach the EVF case to the lug for the shoulder strap.

Post Thanks / Like

Hah, yeah I checked out Best Buy to see if they had anything and saw that the Sony Cybershot cases would probably fit. I considered it a bit blasphemous to carry my GF1 around in one though ;-)

I cant' comment on the EVF, but it might fit into the Ape Case if removed (I'm thinking above the lens in pic 3). Otherwise, I found that small camcorder cases weren't too large but could easily accommodate the GF1+20mm with room to spare.

jerryk

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Hah, yeah I checked out Best Buy to see if they had anything and saw that the Sony Cybershot cases would probably fit. I considered it a bit blasphemous to carry my GF1 around in one though ;-)
    Believe me I thought long and hard before I bought it. But I figured that if I really hated it I could fix the problem with a felt marker or some gaffer's tape. In the end the size and utility of the case won out.

As far as having the EVF on the camera. My 2 cents is the EVF is nice when you need it, but I am not finding as many situations where I really need the EVF as I thought I would. If the EVF were higher resolution and wider this might change. But as it is, having the EVF attached to case is fine.