The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

nikon SB800 on G1 and GF1

K

Kevin_b1

Has anyone tried using a Nikon SB800 flashgun
on either the G1 or GF1?

If yes was this in manual or will it work
on auto, and how was the outcome.

Regards

Kevin

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to remember this is all about the flash itself. If on Auto mode it has nothing to do with the camera all exposure values are by what you set on the flash and what the flash reads through it's sensors. It sends out the flash reads the subject and determines the amount. The only thing the camera has to do with any of it is actually firing the flash. Now obviously you have to set the flash and camera to match output in F stops and ISO as well. Now I am not sure the Nikon can actually fire have not tried it myself but my guess it will. My Metz 54 works like a charm on the GF1. Just need to be in manual mode on the camera and set F stop, shutter and ISO to match each other.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Now the ONE issue that stands in the way is IF the flash will actually let you set up the F stop and ISO and some will not allow this to happen. This could be the case with the Nikon SB800 on A mode since it is so dedicated to Nikon. I have had this happen I believe on the SB 600 but hard to remember. First see if you can make those adjustments to the flash to begin with before purchasing because some systems will not let you do anything like this