Site Sponsors

Thread: G1 orientation sensor

Ziggie

G1 orientation sensor

I just got myself a used Panasonic G1 in pristine condition on eBay. So far I'm pretty happy but one thing puzzles me. Vertical images load sideways in Adobe Bridge and Camera Raw. I was under the impression that the camera has an orientation sensor. That's pretty much standard on cameras these days. So far I can't see an option to enable/disable this in the menus. Am I missing something here or does this camera not have an orientation sensor?

Ziggie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G1 orientation sensor

Panny decided to put the orientation sensor in their lenses, not in the body.

Ziggie

Wow, really? I'm currently using all legacy 4/3 lenses so that might explain the problem. Are you sure?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes,
    It was confirmed by Andy Westlake one of the reviewers at DPReview. I believe it was also in the GF1 review. The orientation sensor is in lenses with OIS. So, on my G1/GH1/GF1, the 20mm and 7-14 don't rotate but the 14-45, 45-200 and 14-140 do rotate the images.

Ziggie

Ok, Thanks Terry. This is a bit of a bummer. I expect to buy the 20mm 1,7 soon so I guess it will not have the orientation sensor if it's married to the OIS.