The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 orientation sensor

Z

Ziggie

I just got myself a used Panasonic G1 in pristine condition on eBay. So far I'm pretty happy but one thing puzzles me. Vertical images load sideways in Adobe Bridge and Camera Raw. I was under the impression that the camera has an orientation sensor. That's pretty much standard on cameras these days. So far I can't see an option to enable/disable this in the menus. Am I missing something here or does this camera not have an orientation sensor?

Ziggie

Z

Ziggie

Wow, really? I'm currently using all legacy 4/3 lenses so that might explain the problem. Are you sure?

Terry

Yes,
It was confirmed by Andy Westlake one of the reviewers at DPReview. I believe it was also in the GF1 review. The orientation sensor is in lenses with OIS. So, on my G1/GH1/GF1, the 20mm and 7-14 don't rotate but the 14-45, 45-200 and 14-140 do rotate the images.

Z

Ziggie

Ok, Thanks Terry. This is a bit of a bummer. I expect to buy the 20mm 1,7 soon so I guess it will not have the orientation sensor if it's married to the OIS.