The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blends

scho

A composite of a Hubble image of the Butterfly nebula and a stand of birch trees in the snow.

Diane B

I've missed a few it seems--some really lovely images in the past few days. I just love this thread--and the other blend/how to also.

Diane

Diane B

I'm curious who is printing their blends--and if so, what size usually and what type of paper? Just curiosity, but I think many of these would be wonderful prints with a very painterly feel.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
I'm curious who is printing their blends--and if so, what size usually and what type of paper? Just curiosity, but I think many of these would be wonderful prints with a very painterly feel.

Diane
All images we make are potentially for printing. Right now we mostly print on Luster or Baryta papers. Will try soon to print on matte papers too. Should be very nice.

Good you asked, because I think some blends may have too much blocked blacks for good prints. We watch for this all the time.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member

Diane
Hello Diane,

I have been printing my work for years and all my work has some kind of blending going on. I print on Epson UltraSmooth Fineart and different archival roll papers. I usually print at least 20x20 and up to 42x42. I mount the prints on wood and coat with Encaustic wax for protection and it gives a surface texture which goes well with the images. I find that even using the EP-1, I can still get a really nice large print because my textures are hi-res and my main image is usually somewhat dreamy or not as detailed as a more traditional photo.

Mike

ustein

Contributing Editor
Hello Diane,

I have been printing my work for years and all my work has some kind of blending going on. I print on Epson UltraSmooth Fineart and different archival roll papers. I usually print at least 20x20 and up to 42x42. I mount the prints on wood and coat with Encaustic wax for protection and it gives a surface texture which goes well with the images. I find that even using the EP-1, I can still get a really nice large print because my textures are hi-res and my main image is usually somewhat dreamy or not as detailed as a more traditional photo.

Mike
Mike, I can see that your photos print very well and mate papers is a good choice.

>coat with Encaustic wax for protection

This sounds interesting, easy to do?. Means no glass, right?

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike, I can see that your photos print very well and mate papers is a good choice.

>coat with Encaustic wax for protection

This sounds interesting, easy to do?. Means no glass, right?
Your right that when I coat with wax, there is no need to put behind glass.
Coating with wax is not too difficult. It takes some practice to get used to what kind of images work well this way. If the image is too dark, the wax sometimes looks milky. An alternative method is too coat the print with acrylic gel medium using a spatula which give it a nice texture and makes the blacks richer. It seems different images need different coatings. I can upload a few links if anyone is interested in seeing the technique and supplies.

mike

m3photo

Re: Coating

It takes some practice to get used to what kind of images work well this way. If the image is too dark, the wax sometimes looks milky. An alternative method is too coat the print with acrylic gel medium using a spatula which give it a nice texture and makes the blacks richer. It seems different images need different coatings. I can upload a few links if anyone is interested in seeing the technique and supplies.
Sure, go ahead :)
The next question is - do you think these coatings might affect the ink and paper underneath as regards quality and longevity?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Here is one issue that gives me a bit of trouble.

Mike, you say your textures are high res - so your preference would be to resize the original image to fit your texture (if they are different sizes) ?

A lot of the textures I've been using are medium-res jpegs. I find it difficult to get the same "punch" as you do.

All the stuff we are doing here is processed for the web. I assume you redo them for print?

Keith

PS I assume everyone here has seen the m4/3 adapter from Italy that has tilt and looks the same as the Lensbaby Composer. I have ordered one for M42 thread as I have a few old Pentax lenses. Should make the f-stop change a little easier than on the Composer.

Diane B

Your right that when I coat with wax, there is no need to put behind glass.
Coating with wax is not too difficult. It takes some practice to get used to what kind of images work well this way. If the image is too dark, the wax sometimes looks milky. An alternative method is too coat the print with acrylic gel medium using a spatula which give it a nice texture and makes the blacks richer. It seems different images need different coatings. I can upload a few links if anyone is interested in seeing the technique and supplies.

mike
I would love to know more.