The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blends

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
I've been holding back on this because I upset a member on another forum by pointing out that his image was a sheep. I think the one in Mike's images is a sheep also LOL--notice that it appears to have a longer 'coat' and is grazing from the ground. In Italy, Greece, Portugal, etc., they often herd goats and sheep together.

I say this since I was a longtime breeder of sheep and dairy goats (probably 20 year LOL--the sheep for wool but meat also and the dairy goats for milk, yogurt, cheese). A city girl with a professional career back in the late 60's/70's who moved from urban to rural and enthusiastically embraced the lifestyle. For anyone wondering, I've done a lot of things in my life LOL (as probably most of us have)--some of them blending easily with the other parts, some not so easily.

I know this is OT--but--just for a little education here. The sheep will 'mow/graze' since they like to eat at ground level though they will occasionally reach up and eat higher. Goats like to eat above ground level, much as deer do (they are all ruminants--multi-stomached that chew their cuds) so they will eat a variety of herbacious plants, but I can guarantee you that they can be extremely fussy about their food if they have a choice LOL. Probably more than most want/need to know LOL. They require good fencing--sheep less so--goats are clever and enjoy 'games'--like opening gates.

BTW--I like the olive grove images also and the sheep just adds that detail that draws us in.

Diane
Thanks for setting me straight on that, and for the educational info. I'll make sure I change the titles of the images before I put them on my website.
Mike

Diane B

Thanks for setting me straight on that, and for the educational info. I'll make sure I change the titles of the images before I put them on my website.
Mike
Just the little tidbit for the day LOL.

Where are the olive groves? They are absolutely wonderful--I know they grow old and gnarly, but the one with the split trunk just works so well on so many levels for me. I don't think I've ever seen a tree like that--except for one of the redwoods in Sequoia Natl Park (I worked there when I was in college one summer). Yours and Uwe's vineyards and orchards just bring me back to look at them. I think I've liked the botanical/landscape shots (those and John's and others) perhaps the best of the blends--the tones, the textures and the intial images.

Diane

Last edited:

m3photo

Re: Life

For anyone wondering, I've done a lot of things in my life LOL (as probably most of us have)--some of them blending easily with the other parts, some not so easily.
"Blending", nice one.:p
By the way, which "blend mode" have you found best in life?;)
I've always tended to use "Difference" - I'm the rebellious sort.:D

On a more serious note, thank you for the kind explanation on sheep and goats.

Diane B

Re: Olive Trees

Hmm, I'd venture a guess that being olive trees they are in fact two trees that grew together that way.
Thanks--now there's a point you probably have more knowledge than most of us have--being in Spain. I know nada about olive trees--have never even seen one that I know of--not even in our arboretums that I can remember.

I like your mode in blending LOL--difference!!!

I meant to comment on your fishermen shot also--I did say that I liked the botanicals/landscapes best, but there aer some others that stand out for me also--this being one.

Diane

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Just the little tidbit for the day LOL.

Where are the olive groves? They are absolutely wonderful--I know they grow old and gnarly, but the one with the split trunk just works so well on so many levels for me. I don't think I've ever seen a tree like that--except for one of the redwoods in Sequoia Natl Park (I worked there when I was in college one summer). Yours and Uwe's vineyards and orchards just bring me back to look at them. I think I've liked the botanical/landscape shots (those and John's and others) perhaps the best of the blends--the tones, the textures and the intial images.

Diane
Hi Diana,

These were all shot in Greece on the Island of Lesbos.

mike

JBurnett

Thoroughly enjoying these. Mike R, your images are always so well done. Michael, I love the fishermen. Uwe, the roof tiles blend works really well. Keith, you've shown us a cool new twist with the tilt device.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
I have spent the last couple of hours working on a an image that has lots of layers.
Last time I posted a nude, I wasn't sure if I was breaking rules etc. so I put it on my flickr site and here is the link if you are interested.
If you click on the large size, you can see the image better. It's rather dark.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelregnier/4280319747/
Mike

Last edited:

JBurnett

If you click on the large size, you can see the image better. It's rather dark.
Mike
Wonderful image. I had to create a Flickr account before I could view it (and that's OK, because I wanted to do that for other reasons, too). I don't see the option to view other sizes, or maybe I'm not looking in the right place, being a Flickr newbie.

Diane B

Nor me---I have a Flickr account but don't use it often and forget where all the things are--but AIR, the 'sizes' is usually right over the image--and I looked everywhere else and didn't find a choice for full size. I'd really like to view it larger as it looks like a wonderful image.

Diane