The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blends

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Works OK for me now - earlier I could not see the large size.

Wonderful image that looks like it was inspired by the Old Masters.

How large can you print this still keeping your the aesthetics to your liking? From your earlier discussions on your printing, I thought you did not print on canvas - have you tried canvas, and would you modify your textures?

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Works OK for me now - earlier I could not see the large size.

Wonderful image that looks like it was inspired by the Old Masters.

How large can you print this still keeping your the aesthetics to your liking? From your earlier discussions on your printing, I thought you did not print on canvas - have you tried canvas, and would you modify your textures?

Keith
I plan on printing this one on canvas at 36 inches high. I worked the file at that size and it looks great. Might be tuff to print. I'll let you know.

Mike

Not a texture blend but a multiple exposure - 3 exposures, 4 images, "blended"

Shot with a GF1 and a Rusian Helios 44-2 58mm f/2. All images were shot oof. I'll post some sample in-focus images in the Russian lens thread as this copy is truly exceptional - razor sharp.

m3photo

Re: Fishermen

I like your mode in blending LOL--difference!!!

I meant to comment on your fishermen shot also--I did say that I liked the botanicals/landscapes best, but there aer some others that stand out for me also--this being one.
Thank you Diane.

In point of fact I use the "Difference" Blend mode in my Layers work in Photoshop too! Not as a pure transparency but partly "exposed" so-to-speak in the layer stack.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I think this texture works better. I like the trees but finding the optimal texture is a bit challenging.

Diane B

I agree Uwe--I prefer the second texture. I don't have a large library of textures to draw on so have been on the hunt online to find hi rez textures to use. I now have enough to work with including some of my own--and will layer a few to create some more to suit me. The hardest is finding a texture to work with an images, but I decided that using masks, layers with the textures gives me more latitude to get what I want.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
The hardest is finding a texture to work with an images, but I decided that using masks, layers with the textures gives me more latitude to get what I want.

Diane
Yes finding textures is challenging. Right now I stay away from using masks but it would of course give optimal control.

I create often new textures by blending different textures. The texture I used above was a blend of 3 different textures. The new texture is now in my catalog of textures.

It is also important whether you create entire new images using blending of if you blend to enhance a main image. In the tree picture above it was all about improving the sky in the overall picture.

m3photo

Re: Textures

I don't have a large library of textures to draw on ../.. but I decided that using masks, layers with the textures gives me more latitude to get what I want.
Oh but you do, Diane. If I remember correctly you were in the "textile business", weren't you? All your fabrics are ideal textures. The main reason Mike's are so beautiful to the eye in my view is because he uses painted canvasses - cloth is a good alternative, don't you think? Well lit with side flash will produce excellent examples.
Masks and Layers are indeed the key to satisfying blended images.

Diane B

Re: Textures

Oh but you do, Diane. If I remember correctly you were in the "textile business", weren't you? All your fabrics are ideal textures. The main reason Mike's are so beautiful to the eye in my view is because he uses painted canvasses - cloth is a good alternative, don't you think? Well lit with side flash will produce excellent examples.
Masks and Layers are indeed the key to satisfying blended images.
Yes, you're right, but mostly all gone. I tried one of my screens with complex weaves and surface design this afternoon--we'll see, but I have only a very few left. But---OTOH, glad that everything did find good homes, walls, whatever.

But, my husband is a designer with lots of fabrics stacked in many places. There are some in there that may be worth shooting--hmmmm, we'll see. I don't like repetitive textures much, so will look for more complex weaves that have large repeats along and perhaps mix with some of my more 'random' textures I've shot and accumulated. :thumbup: