The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blends

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
"Trees in frozen pond"
Shot with EP-1 and lens baby composer. 5 image panoramic.

Mike
Super, Mike. Are you planning on printing this one? What size?

What computer system do you use for these large composites? I'm going as far as I can with an Apple 17in MacBook Pro, and I am not going above web sizes.

Keith

m3photo

Re: Lensbaby and Pano

"Trees in frozen pond"
Shot with EP-1 and lens baby composer. 5 image panoramic.
Hmm, I like idea but I still get the feeling that something's wrong at the top. I know what it is but it still disturbs me. Using something like the lensbaby in five images that then become one produces a lack of continuum due to the distinct defocussing. Personally I'd shoot with a straightforward optic for all the images to be stitched and then introduce the "fuzz" afterwards to the completed set. That's just me. :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Hmm, I like idea but I still get the feeling that something's wrong at the top. I know what it is but it still disturbs me. Using something like the lensbaby in five images that then become one produces a lack of continuum due to the distinct defocussing. Personally I'd shoot with a straightforward optic for all the images to be stitched and then introduce the "fuzz" afterwards to the completed set. That's just me. :)
The image looks very good to me - a stretched version of the tree series that Mike has shown here. I think if he had not told us that is was done with the Lensbaby, no one would have guessed.
I've experimented with selective software blur and it seems more difficult to get a winner out of the gate, than blurring it when you take it. Having said that, I've got some good ones from software.
But, I'm still learning, so don't take my comments as worth much - give me another month (or two, or three, . . . . . ) :deadhorse:

Keith

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Super, Mike. Are you planning on printing this one? What size?

What computer system do you use for these large composites? I'm going as far as I can with an Apple 17in MacBook Pro, and I am not going above web sizes.

Keith
Hi Keith,

I'm using a Mac G5 computer with 14 gig's of ram and a 30 in monitor along with the Wacom Cintiq 21UX, which allows me to draw directly on the screen for greater control.
By the way, I think you need to change the way you are working. You are doing some really nice work, but if I understand correctly, you are doing the images just for the web. So if you ever wanted to print them at say 16x20 or so, you would have to redo them? Which is really hard to do in my experience.
I always work for the biggest size I think I might print and make jps from the finished art for the web.
This last image I posted is 64 inches long, and I do plan on printing it.

Mike

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member

Actually, I shot it both ways with a normal lens and the lens baby. I liked this version the best. I like the accidental things that happen with the tops of the trees. I find it hard to duplicate the lens baby look in the computer. I can sometimes do it, but it is hard.

mike

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Keith,

I'm using a Mac G5 computer with 14 gig's of ram and a 30 in monitor along with the Wacom Cintiq 21UX, which allows me to draw directly on the screen for greater control.
By the way, I think you need to change the way you are working. You are doing some really nice work, but if I understand correctly, you are doing the images just for the web. So if you ever wanted to print them at say 16x20 or so, you would have to redo them? Which is really hard to do in my experience.
I always work for the biggest size I think I might print and make jps from the finished art for the web.
This last image I posted is 64 inches long, and I do plan on printing it.

Mike
Quiet a set up you have! It sure has a big size and will absorb a huge amount of megabites, even more with all the layers.
I very much like the size/shape of your "Trees in frozen pond" It is a sort of uncomfortable image which makes it intriging.

I remember my computer went slow when I did the following image in 2007.
I think the original was more then 600 MB. Print is 123 x 123 cm
It consists of as many layers as there are photographs on it. All made at Schiphol airport here in Amsterdam.
Knew all about the wind direction at the time to know where the planes would land or take off
It is about the ever going on movement of people and things around the globe. I tryed to do something with light and dark here to create the suggestion of tracks around the globe.
Michiel

- Move on -

This is an example of one of the photographs at the time. All shot with The Olympus E-300 and 40-150 lens. They flew only something like 10 meters above my head.

m3photo

Re: Just me

Actually, I shot it both ways with a normal lens and the lens baby. I liked this version the best. I like the accidental things that happen with the tops of the trees. I find it hard to duplicate the lens baby look in the computer.
As I said; "just me". I appreciate that it's your creation and that you like the accidental things (sic) - I like my "accidental things" too. :D

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: Just me

As I said; "just me". I appreciate that it's your creation and that you like the accidental things (sic) - I like my "accidental things" too. :D
You were right in your approach, that's why I also covered myself by shooting it with a regular lens as well. If it wasn't winter trees, I probably would have gone with the normal lens, but I love what the lensbaby does to baron trees, so I was drawn to that version.
I appreciate your ideas and feedback Michael. It's always good to get someone else's critical eye and opinion. That's one of the reason's I enjoy posting images here.

Mike

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Quiet a set up you have! It sure has a big size and will absorb a huge amount of megabites, even more with all the layers.
I very much like the size/shape of your "Trees in frozen pond" It is a sort of uncomfortable image which makes it intriging.

I remember my computer went slow when I did the following image in 2007.
I think the original was more then 600 MB. Print is 123 x 123 cm
It consists of as many layers as there are photographs on it. All made at Schiphol airport here in Amsterdam.
Knew all about the wind direction at the time to know where the planes would land or take off
It is about the ever going on movement of people and things around the globe. I tryed to do something with light and dark here to create the suggestion of tracks around the globe.
Michiel

- Move on -

Wow! I really like this image Michiel, and I can appreciate how long that must have taken with so many layers. It really illustrates your concept of movement around the world, and viewing it as such a large print must have been impressive. It's amazing that you could get that close to the planes.
Great title for the piece as well. thanks for sharing.

Mike​

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you Mike and Uwe for your reactions.

The strong white lines sort of stand for a grid of destinations.
The size is probably my sculptural mind, I actually used the same grid before for a wall piece, a lasercut from 10 mm orange coated steelplate. (Sold it to Akzo Nobel)
That is much more an organic structure pur sang but I thought it could be used for this idea.

Now it is time to go back to real blending. I did start photographing textures I possibly can use. I must say I find it hard. Besides finding a balance in the endless possibilitys, I often find my results a bit to romantic for me. But I am gonne try some more with the industrial/harbour photographs, I have.
I liked your - Vancouver port - a lot!

Michiel

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The strong white lines sort of stand for a grid of destinations.

Of course one has to see it in the right printed size.