The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blends

m3photo

Re: Snowflake

Wonderfull. Not sure the single snow flake adds to the image though?
Agree here. It might be a charming anecdote among photographers but as it is it seems more of a defect than part of the image from a bystander's point of view.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member

Agree here. It might be a charming anecdote among photographers but as it is it seems more of a defect than part of the image from a bystander's point of view.
I agree. I almost cloned it out, but I decided to leave it to look at for awhile. I would like to shoot the same image over during the next snowy day when there are lot's of blowing snow flakes, and to try and capture as many flakes sharp as possible. I think that would add some nice depth to the image.

Mike

f6cvalkyrie

Hi !

Many excellent images shown by all participants here :thumbup::thumbup:
I'm quite new to "blends", two weeks ago, I had never used layers :cool:

Today, I wanted to share with you a pic I shot this morning, with my Zoom-Nikkor 50-300/4.5

C U,
Rafael

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

I agree. I almost cloned it out, but I decided to leave it to look at for awhile. I would like to shoot the same image over during the next snowy day when there are lot's of blowing snow flakes, and to try and capture as many flakes sharp as possible. I think that would add some nice depth to the image.

Mike
Mike - this is one of the best snow flake images I've seen

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/subs/cam26.htm

He shoots in very low light at dusk or dawn with long exposures, and used a flash to capture the flakes - somewhere on his site, he tells how he did it

Keith

m3photo

Re: Snowflake Fabrication

I would like to shoot the same image over during the next snowy day when there are lot's of blowing snow flakes, and to try and capture as many flakes sharp as possible. I think that would add some nice depth to the image.
No waiting necessary. It's relatively easy to create falling snow in Photoshop (you don't even need 14Gigs of RAM, Mike!).
Google it, or just check these two for starters:
http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/22/making-snow.html
http://www.martinity.com/html/tutorials/snow/snow.htm

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Snowflake Fabrication

No waiting necessary. It's relatively easy to create falling snow in Photoshop (you don't even need 14Gigs of RAM, Mike!).
Google it, or just check these two for starters:
http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/22/making-snow.html
http://www.martinity.com/html/tutorials/snow/snow.htm
These artificial snow images remind me of a sand storm that I experienced once near Monument valley. We stepped out from our hotel room for an hour, and came back to find a foot of sand in it.
I originally thought that Mikes dot was an imperfection. But as it is so difficult to capture just one flake out of trillions, I would keep it and maybe donate it to the Smithsonian :deadhorse:
Looks a bit like the little dots that I had all over my early bokehgraphs - turned out to be dust on the sensor, and I haven't got it all off yet.

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks for the Links Keith and Michael. I'll keep working on capturing the snow. I think it is suppose to snow in a few days.
Here is another in my series of walking in the snow. It is made up of 3 images plus texture. The figure was really there. Just in case you are wondering. This is a work in progress. When it comes time to print, I might have to change the densities in the blacks.

Mike

m3photo

Re: Masking Tutorial

Now I have to find myself a masking tutorial and try it out.
No need. Simply duplicate the layer and click on the mask button. Click over the little image icon to its left to activate the layer rather than the mask and do your Curves adjustment etc. on this layer. Then click on the Mask icon again and wherever you paint over it in black it will seem to remove the adjustment you've just made on the whole layer. A simple reminder Black=Blocks the effect.

Leica 77

Hi !
Many excellent images shown by all participants here :thumbup::thumbup:
I'm quite new to "blends", two weeks ago, I had never used layers :cool:
Today, I wanted to share with you a pic I shot this morning, with my Zoom-Nikkor 50-300/4.5

C U,
Rafael
Hi Rafael,
I love your "blends" with snow. Best regards, Leica 77.

Diane B

Possibly. Last Spring I bought the Oly 9-18 to use with my MA-1 adaptor--so I'm not sure. The 7-14 is certainly tempting though--if I sell the 9-18.

Diane