The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blends

m3photo

Re: Non m4/3

Welcome HiltonP

This is an easy going forum, and I for one post blends here that are non m4/3. I don't think the thread originator Michael (aka m3photo) minds
Nice picture.

Keith
Quite right. As they say down under; "No worries mate".

HiltonP

Thank you everyone for the kind words and welcoming posts.
A question . . . How does one post a fuller sized photo (such as Uwe's work),
as opposed to the smaller thumbnail (like mine)? I've scratched around the
various settings but found no clues.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I host the images on my own server. Then include them with the Image feature.

HiltonP

Thanks Uwe, much appreciated.

Here is another of my blend attempts which, as you mentioned in an earlier post, looks better than the original. I can't quite put my finger on why, but the introduction of texture and use of a mask has brought out the gritty character of the two rhinos which was lacking in the original.

Uwe, I'm finding that the adding of a texture layer shifts the overall histogram to the left since the texture is invariably more subdued. Do you find this as well, and if so, do you do anything about it (adjust the levels), or do you allow the texture to have its influence unaffected?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I post the pics to the gallery in this forum (free), clip out their URL, then use the little square yellow mountain icon above the message box - and copy in the URL

Keith

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Uwe, I'm finding that the adding of a texture layer shifts the overall histogram to the left since the texture is invariably more subdued.

Yes and this looks nice. Many images directly from the camera or RAW converter look too harsh for my taste.

>Do you find this as well, and if so, do you do anything about it (adjust the levels), or do you allow the texture to have its influence unaffected?

I blend using exclusively my blending scripts:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_2007_01/section_workflow_basics_2009/20090512_TextureBlending/index.html

The script creates a layer group and allows many tuning options. Yes, I always tune the blend.

ustein

Contributing Editor

ustein

Contributing Editor
This was created this way:

- Kitty shot with iPhone 4
- very strong crop
- Kaleidoscope generated with Annamika on the iPad
- Blended with a wall

m3photo

Re: Histogram

Uwe, I'm finding that the adding of a texture layer shifts the overall histogram to the left since the texture is invariably more subdued. Do you find this as well, and if so, do you do anything about it (adjust the levels), or do you allow the texture to have its influence unaffected?
Forget the histogram - this is creativity; adjust everything until YOU think it's right, not some graph telling you it's not.

Terry

Uwe - flower blend is one of my favorite shots in a long time. The subtle colors and crisp focus just work so nicely.