The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blends

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re "Manic Man"

Was Rembrandt the inspiration here Mike - or, perhaps Salvador Dali?

Love the stuff you have been doing lately and it's a treat to see Uwe asking you to remove something that was there, rather than something that wasn't :deadhorse:

I have one of Mike's large prints and they are even more dramatic in that form than on the screen.

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks for posting that image Michiel. Pretty funny.

Actually, I hadn't intended it to look like Dali, but the original reason for photographing this guy was for an article about Manic Depression in a magazine, and this friend of mine was the perfect subject. He was a Hungarian artist who spent a couple of years in the russian Gulag, and I was sure that he could draw upon all the emotions. He was also a pretty famous portrait artist, Frank Szaz. He had painted several heads of state around the world and was know for a portrait of Einstein that he painted from a photo I believe. So, he agreed to do it but didn't want to be recognized. I put a beret and a fake mustache on him and did the job. It was afterwards that I realized how much he looked like Dali.
The original shots were in B&W and were done as a polaroid transfer. I'll attach it below.
For the version above, I was after the Rembrandt portrait feel, but since I started with a B&W, I didn't want to add too much color.

Mike

Michiel Schierbeek

That was very well done Mike!
My first impuls, seems always the best, was Rembrandt.
The eye was Rembrandt but the mustache was a bit confusing, Dali Like.

I like the similarity in background with Rembrandt.

Michiel

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Michiel, I have started making a few backgrounds with my textures that I can use to mimic that Rembrandt look for my portraits. Usually the biggest challenge is to find a subject that fits the old world style. I may do more with the individual images from my manic shoot.
Mike

ustein

Contributing Editor

This is actually my first tests with a nice tool called "PhotoCopy" by Digital Film Tools. It emulates styles from painter. Lots to explore.

Last edited:

m3photo

Re: "PhotoCopy"

This is actually my first tests with a nice tool called "PhotoCopy" by Digital Film Tools. It emulates styles from painter. Lots to explore.[/QUOTE]
Actually I got the spam on it this morning and my first thought was that for us "real men" who know how to knock up a good blend at the drop of a wacom it's just another gimmick.
Over to you ...

ustein

Contributing Editor
>my first thought was that for us "real men" who know how to knock up a good blend

1. maybe not a "real man" :)
2. See good potential

At $95 not even that expensive. Give the Demo a shot.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
As per Uwe's suggestion I bought Photocopy

This is Antoni Gaudi, the architect of the Cathedral Sagrada Familia in Barcelona

G1 with kit zoom

Keith