The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 body as the base for your own custom camera "system"

pellicle

Hi

(pardon the repeat of this here to people who have seen it elsewhere)​

The purpose of this is to help inspire any of the lurkers out there who may be "interested in getting a G1, but not sure what it can do better than a compact"

well, once upon a time people used to consider camera "systems" like the OM system when it was released, the FD series system, and many more

since the G1 is so amenable to making a basis of a system I thought a "my system" thread may be as amusing as any other image thread here.

So, here is my Canon FD G1 system

and the extension tubes for macro use

with a little help from these ones for wide ... and of course the kit lens

now I know that there are other more serious cases of GAS out there than me ... but for me this camera has enabled me to build a great image creation system which I use for things ranging from copystand through to bird photography.

what's your camera system look like

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Vivek

Re: my G1 non-panasonic camera system

Nice but everything looks big and heavy.

pellicle

Hi Vivek

well that may be true ... but considering that I like to take wildlife type pictures the 300 f4 is much lighter than what I'd need to use on 35mm to get the same. The macro (which I also like out in the field) is also much more flexible and easy to work with than 35mm ever was.

the FD 200f4 is quite light though at about 400g and again much lighter and more useful to me in the field than an equivalent in 35mm or full frame.

I guess that being beside such a dimunitive cameras as the G1 makes things look bigger.

My hiking kit is now the G1 with 14045, the 200f4 the 50f1.8 and extension tubes + macro focusing rail.

I'm trialing a gorillapod with a ball head and pvc tubes as leg extension for a light weight tripod too. When I was 20 lugging 20Kg (includng food and water) was no problems, now I'm 20 years older I like to keep it under 10Kg if I can ;-)

V

Vivek

Hi Pellicle,

What is more important is that you put them all together for your use and you are enthusiastic about using them. :thumbs:

Yes, a 10kg reduction in weight is enormous, especially after you carry it for an hour or two!:)

I notice the absence of any fast 50s. Do you have any Olympus or FD fast(er) 50s?

And what about the Olympus Zuiko Macro 50/3.5 (super lens, light weight as well)?

pellicle

Hi

Hi Pellicle,

What is more important is that you put them all together for your use and you are enthusiastic about using them. :thumbs:
oh, but I do ... its just a glum sunday here in Finland. Go scout around my flickr page or my blog under hiking :)

I notice the absence of any fast 50s. Do you have any Olympus or FD fast(er) 50s?
well the fastest I have is the f1.4 ... don't see the point in going faster than that ... heck the OM 50 f1.8 seems better than the FD 50 f1.4

seems like money spent but no return ... plus of course they're heavier. If I was using an optical viewfinder the extra brightness may make a difference (especially on the extension tubes) but as I'm using a G1 its neither here nor there ...

pellicle

Hmm ... I'm wondering if I should have titled this "show your non Panasonic" as that's what I was meaning ... sort of "my computer" not my personal...

JBurnett

It's a journey. When I purchased the G1, only the two kit lenses existed. Had there been "native" prime options, I probably would have gone that route, and I may well end up with the 20mm at some point. As far as "foreign" glass (foreign to the panny, that is), my stable is pretty basic and not particularly exotic:

Olympus 17mm f/2.8. It may not be the 20mm, but it's pretty good by f/4 and so tiny and light that it's easy to take it along. I will sometimes pair this with the 40mm (below) and take nothing else.

Olympus 35mm f/3.5 Macro with adapter. Slow, but very sharp even wide open. On occasion, I'll stroll with this lens alone.

Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2.0 with M-adapter. A favourite for focal length and how it renders. Very small and light (120g without adapter), but solidly built. Like most "m" lenses, it doesn't focus a close as I'd like, but I'm still pretty happy with it on the G1.

Canon FD adapter and nFD lenses. Quite good optically, but I'm usually shooting at least one stop down for better contrast and sharpness. They all take a common 52mm filter. They are larger and heavier, but not outlandishly so.

24mm f/2.0 (285g, 51mm long)
50mm f/1.4 (245g, 41mm)
85mm f/1.8 (345g, 54mm)
135mm f/2.5 (395g, 78mm)

For comparison purposes, the 14-45mm is 195g, and the 45-200mm is 380g.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
My G1/GF1 system is built around the Pen-F lenses. I have the 20 f/3.5, 40 f/1.4, 42 f/1.2, 60 f/1.5, 150 f/4 and 50-90 zoom. For AF situations, I have the Panny 20 f/1.7, 45-200, and 14-140 (on the way). For macro I use the 50 f/2 Oly macro.
I have adapters to use my M lenses (especially Canon 50 f/1.2 ltm and Summarit 85 f/1.5), a Leica R 35 f/2, and Nikon lenses and have even adapted a few of my Mamiya MF lenses, but the Pen-F lenses are so sharp and small, that I rarely use anything else.

My G1/GF1 system is built around the Pen-F lenses. I have the 20 f/3.5, 40 f/1.4, 42 f/1.2, 60 f/1.5, 150 f/4 and 50-90 zoom. For AF situations, I have the Panny 20 f/1.7, 45-200, and 14-140 (on the way). For macro I use the 50 f/2 Oly macro.
I have adapters to use my M lenses (especially Canon 50 f/1.2 ltm and Summarit 85 f/1.5), a Leica R 35 f/2, and Nikon lenses and have even adapted a few of my Mamiya MF lenses, but the Pen-F lenses are so sharp and small, that I rarely use anything else.
That's where I'm headed, too. I've got a 40/1.4 and 100/3.5, and the 60 is on the way. These lenses seem simply perfect for m4/3--they handle and render like a dream. The 40 on the GF1 looks like it was born there.

I would love to find the Pen macro, but I'd imagine that, when it turns up, it's very expensive.

pellicle

Hello

to those with the Pen 100 f3.5 lens, how do you think it will compare with my OM 100 f2.8 when this is on the adaptor ...

JerryMK

Nice Pellicle. I am also a FD lens fanantic. I have too much to mention but the most important are:
- Tokina ATX 90mm f/2.5 macro with extender
- Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 macro (still looking for the extender)
- Canon Fd 100mm f4 macro
- Canon Fd 50mm f/3.5 macro
- Canon Fl 58mm f/1.2
- Canon Fd 50mm f/1.4

And then I have some c-mount cine lenses I use on my G1

And of today a MD mount Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro on its way to me.

(Ow, ow... don't let my wife read this post)

T

turbo

Well, I've been using Pentax cameras since the 60's so have collected about 30 K-mount lenses and about the same in screw-mount (both 37mm and 42mm). But on the G1 they are huge, except the M37 and early M42 lenses. I do use the Pentax lenses on the G1, but for a specific target. I'm building a small lens kit based on cine/TV lenses in the f/1.3 - f/1.9 range, small & light (and unfortunately getting very expensive).

pellicle

Jerry

- Canon Fd 50mm f/3.5 macro
been thinking of getting one of those ... can't wait to try it ... but ...

- Canon Fl 58mm f/1.2
ouh ouh ... you have the legend!

- Canon Fd 50mm f/1.4
I bought one of these ... at first I thought "what's the biggie" but then a little testing showed me that the lens has better shallow DoF at 1.4 than a 1.8 does and is as sharp as my OM 50 f1.8 at 1.8 ... which is of course heaps better than my FD 1.8 is

FD 1.4

OM 1.8

I'm already impressed with the OM50 as a close portrait lens

but when doing more distant head-n-shoulders adults shots the background isn't as isolated as I'd like ... I feel this 1.4 will be just bewdiful

woodyspedden

I haven't received my GF1 yet (hopefully soon with the EVF) but I expect to be using my Leica M lenses with it. The 21 Elmarit is a good choice as is the 28 Cron. I have a 75 Lux for the long lens but it is a bit awkward due to its size and weight. I am also looking at some of the small M lenses like the Cosina 25 4.0 color skopar. It is inexpensive and very compact and lightweight. Could be a big winner in the bolt it on the GF1 and then carry the camera everywhere you go. Almost point and shoot size.

Can't wait to get started

Woody

woodyspedden

I haven't received my GF1 yet (hopefully soon with the EVF) but I expect to be using my Leica M lenses with it. The 21 Elmarit is a good choice as is the 28 Cron. I have a 75 Lux for the long lens but it is a bit awkward due to its size and weight.

Woody

Diane B

I've been using FD lenses (24 f/2.8, 28 f/2.0, 35 f/2.8--which, for some reason is one of my favorites--50 f1.8 and the 135 f/2.8) and one Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8--but think I would like to add more--and change out my 50 f/1.8 for an f/1.4. I've tried my EF 50 f/1.4 and know I would like it. Originally I bought the adaptor for my one lone 50 f /1.8 which is the only FD lens I still had--just a 'place keeper' on my old AE-1. But--I found I could build an inexpensive but quite nice lens assortment and enjoyed shooting with them. so--I'm looking at other lenses too. It is addictive LOL.

Diane

T

turbo

I haven't received my GF1 yet (hopefully soon with the EVF) but I expect to be using my Leica M lenses with it. The 21 Elmarit is a good choice as is the 28 Cron. I have a 75 Lux for the long lens but it is a bit awkward due to its size and weight.

Woody
I have not been overly happy with my Leica lenses on the G1. The best of the lot is the 28mm 2.8 Elmarit. The 21mm SA will not fit on the G1, don't know about the Elmarit. The 90 cron is nice, but as with the 75 Lux, huge. Hope your M lenses produce better results than I got.