Site Sponsors

Thread: G1 body as the base for your own custom camera "system"

Post Thanks / Like

G1 body as the base for your own custom camera "system"

Hi

(pardon the repeat of this here to people who have seen it elsewhere)

The purpose of this is to help inspire any of the lurkers out there who may be "interested in getting a G1, but not sure what it can do better than a compact"

well, once upon a time people used to consider camera "systems" like the OM system when it was released, the FD series system, and many more

since the G1 is so amenable to making a basis of a system I thought a "my system" thread may be as amusing as any other image thread here.

So, here is my Canon FD G1 system

and the extension tubes for macro use

with a little help from these ones for wide ... and of course the kit lens

now I know that there are other more serious cases of GAS out there than me ... but for me this camera has enabled me to build a great image creation system which I use for things ranging from copystand through to bird photography.

what's your camera system look like

:-)
    Last edited by Terry; 1st November 2009 at 07:20.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: my G1 non-panasonic camera system

Nice but everything looks big and heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vivek

well that may be true ... but considering that I like to take wildlife type pictures the 300 f4 is much lighter than what I'd need to use on 35mm to get the same. The macro (which I also like out in the field) is also much more flexible and easy to work with than 35mm ever was.

the FD 200f4 is quite light though at about 400g and again much lighter and more useful to me in the field than an equivalent in 35mm or full frame.

I guess that being beside such a dimunitive cameras as the G1 makes things look bigger.

My hiking kit is now the G1 with 14045, the 200f4 the 50f1.8 and extension tubes + macro focusing rail.

I'm trialing a gorillapod with a ball head and pvc tubes as leg extension for a light weight tripod too. When I was 20 lugging 20Kg (includng food and water) was no problems, now I'm 20 years older I like to keep it under 10Kg if I can ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Pellicle,

What is more important is that you put them all together for your use and you are enthusiastic about using them.

Yes, a 10kg reduction in weight is enormous, especially after you carry it for an hour or two!

I notice the absence of any fast 50s. Do you have any Olympus or FD fast(er) 50s?

And what about the Olympus Zuiko Macro 50/3.5 (super lens, light weight as well)?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hi Pellicle,

What is more important is that you put them all together for your use and you are enthusiastic about using them.
    oh, but I do ... its just a glum sunday here in Finland. Go scout around my flickr page or my blog under hiking :-)

I notice the absence of any fast 50s. Do you have any Olympus or FD fast(er) 50s?
    well the fastest I have is the f1.4 ... don't see the point in going faster than that ... heck the OM 50 f1.8 seems better than the FD 50 f1.4

seems like money spent but no return ... plus of course they're heavier. If I was using an optical viewfinder the extra brightness may make a difference (especially on the extension tubes) but as I'm using a G1 its neither here nor there ...

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm ... I'm wondering if I should have titled this "show your non Panasonic" as that's what I was meaning ... sort of "my computer" not my personal...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: G1 body as the base for your own custom camera "system"

It's a journey. When I purchased the G1, only the two kit lenses existed. Had there been "native" prime options, I probably would have gone that route, and I may well end up with the 20mm at some point. As far as "foreign" glass (foreign to the panny, that is), my stable is pretty basic and not particularly exotic:

Olympus 17mm f/2.8. It may not be the 20mm, but it's pretty good by f/4 and so tiny and light that it's easy to take it along. I will sometimes pair this with the 40mm (below) and take nothing else.

Olympus 35mm f/3.5 Macro with adapter. Slow, but very sharp even wide open. On occasion, I'll stroll with this lens alone.

Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2.0 with M-adapter. A favourite for focal length and how it renders. Very small and light (120g without adapter), but solidly built. Like most "m" lenses, it doesn't focus a close as I'd like, but I'm still pretty happy with it on the G1.

Canon FD adapter and nFD lenses. Quite good optically, but I'm usually shooting at least one stop down for better contrast and sharpness. They all take a common 52mm filter. They are larger and heavier, but not outlandishly so.

24mm f/2.0 (285g, 51mm long)
    50mm f/1.4 (245g, 41mm)
    85mm f/1.8 (345g, 54mm)
    135mm f/2.5 (395g, 78mm)

For comparison purposes, the 14-45mm is 195g, and the 45-200mm is 380g.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My G1/GF1 system is built around the Pen-F lenses. I have the 20 f/3.5, 40 f/1.4, 42 f/1.2, 60 f/1.5, 150 f/4 and 50-90 zoom. For AF situations, I have the Panny 20 f/1.7, 45-200, and 14-140 (on the way). For macro I use the 50 f/2 Oly macro.
    I have adapters to use my M lenses (especially Canon 50 f/1.2 ltm and Summarit 85 f/1.5), a Leica R 35 f/2, and Nikon lenses and have even adapted a few of my Mamiya MF lenses, but the Pen-F lenses are so sharp and small, that I rarely use anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    My G1/GF1 system is built around the Pen-F lenses. I have the 20 f/3.5, 40 f/1.4, 42 f/1.2, 60 f/1.5, 150 f/4 and 50-90 zoom. For AF situations, I have the Panny 20 f/1.7, 45-200, and 14-140 (on the way). For macro I use the 50 f/2 Oly macro.
    I have adapters to use my M lenses (especially Canon 50 f/1.2 ltm and Summarit 85 f/1.5), a Leica R 35 f/2, and Nikon lenses and have even adapted a few of my Mamiya MF lenses, but the Pen-F lenses are so sharp and small, that I rarely use anything else.
    That's where I'm headed, too. I've got a 40/1.4 and 100/3.5, and the 60 is on the way. These lenses seem simply perfect for m4/3--they handle and render like a dream. The 40 on the GF1 looks like it was born there.

I would love to find the Pen macro, but I'd imagine that, when it turns up, it's very expensive.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My Pen 38/3.5 Macro is fab. And it's not for sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! I didn't dare imagine it might be!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    My Pen 38/3.5 Macro is fab. And it's not for sale.
    My father used to say "nothing is 'not for sale', but some things may be expensive"

C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like

Hello

to those with the Pen 100 f3.5 lens, how do you think it will compare with my OM 100 f2.8 when this is on the adaptor ...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Pellicle. I am also a FD lens fanantic. I have too much to mention but the most important are:
    - Tokina ATX 90mm f/2.5 macro with extender
    - Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 macro (still looking for the extender)
    - Canon Fd 100mm f4 macro
    - Canon Fd 50mm f/3.5 macro
    - Canon Fl 58mm f/1.2
    - Canon Fd 50mm f/1.4

And then I have some c-mount cine lenses I use on my G1

And of today a MD mount Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro on its way to me.

(Ow, ow... don't let my wife read this post)

turbo

Well, I've been using Pentax cameras since the 60's so have collected about 30 K-mount lenses and about the same in screw-mount (both 37mm and 42mm). But on the G1 they are huge, except the M37 and early M42 lenses. I do use the Pentax lenses on the G1, but for a specific target. I'm building a small lens kit based on cine/TV lenses in the f/1.3 - f/1.9 range, small & light (and unfortunately getting very expensive).

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMK View Post
    been thinking of getting one of those ... can't wait to try it ... but ...

- Canon Fl 58mm f/1.2
    ouh ouh ... you have the legend!

- Canon Fd 50mm f/1.4
    I bought one of these ... at first I thought "what's the biggie" but then a little testing showed me that the lens has better shallow DoF at 1.4 than a 1.8 does and is as sharp as my OM 50 f1.8 at 1.8 ... which is of course heaps better than my FD 1.8 is

FD 1.4

OM 1.8

I'm already impressed with the OM50 as a close portrait lens

but when doing more distant head-n-shoulders adults shots the background isn't as isolated as I'd like ... I feel this 1.4 will be just bewdiful

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't received my GF1 yet (hopefully soon with the EVF) but I expect to be using my Leica M lenses with it. The 21 Elmarit is a good choice as is the 28 Cron. I have a 75 Lux for the long lens but it is a bit awkward due to its size and weight. I am also looking at some of the small M lenses like the Cosina 25 4.0 color skopar. It is inexpensive and very compact and lightweight. Could be a big winner in the bolt it on the GF1 and then carry the camera everywhere you go. Almost point and shoot size.

Can't wait to get started

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't received my GF1 yet (hopefully soon with the EVF) but I expect to be using my Leica M lenses with it. The 21 Elmarit is a good choice as is the 28 Cron. I have a 75 Lux for the long lens but it is a bit awkward due to its size and weight.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using FD lenses (24 f/2.8, 28 f/2.0, 35 f/2.8--which, for some reason is one of my favorites--50 f1.8 and the 135 f/2.8) and one Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8--but think I would like to add more--and change out my 50 f/1.8 for an f/1.4. I've tried my EF 50 f/1.4 and know I would like it. Originally I bought the adaptor for my one lone 50 f /1.8 which is the only FD lens I still had--just a 'place keeper' on my old AE-1. But--I found I could build an inexpensive but quite nice lens assortment and enjoyed shooting with them. so--I'm looking at other lenses too. It is addictive LOL.

Diane

turbo

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    I haven't received my GF1 yet (hopefully soon with the EVF) but I expect to be using my Leica M lenses with it. The 21 Elmarit is a good choice as is the 28 Cron. I have a 75 Lux for the long lens but it is a bit awkward due to its size and weight.

Woody
    I have not been overly happy with my Leica lenses on the G1. The best of the lot is the 28mm 2.8 Elmarit. The 21mm SA will not fit on the G1, don't know about the Elmarit. The 90 cron is nice, but as with the 75 Lux, huge. Hope your M lenses produce better results than I got.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And of today a MD mount Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro on its way to me.
    MR. MACRO. Jerry, you certainly have superb macro photos to justify your collection. But I'm not sure most of us would hang on to so many lenses at similar focal lengths. How do you decide which you're going pack for a shoot?
    Best regards,
    John.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBurnett View Post
    MR. MACRO. Jerry, you certainly have superb macro photos to justify your collection. But I'm not sure most of us would hang on to so many lenses at similar focal lengths. How do you decide which you're going pack for a shoot?
    lol , John you have a point there. My favorite (now) is the Tokina 90mm. It almost never leaves my G1. I started out with the Canon 100mm and still hold on to it but not use that one anymore. The Vivitar was/is sort of a backup for my Tokina, specs are similar but I love the buildt of the Tokina more. The Canon 50mm is perfect to use on my Bellows setup and is a real sharp lens too, Canon did that well.

The Kiron 105mm is a lens I do not know yet but from what I have heard could be replacing my Tokina as favorite... Many people think the Kiron is the best ever produced macro lens. Maybe I will tell the same soon...

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread. I have to say that the G1 helped me to 're-discover' the fun in photography beyond the 'point and shoot' approach that I had fallen back on over the last few years. Since I am easily excitable (and not good with money ) I bought a few FD lenses very early on, thinking they offered the best value for someone who wants to play but not invest heavily (I have the 50/1.4, 28/2, 85/1.9?, and the 50/3.5 Macro is on its way).

Before I could really explore the FDs, I fell victim to the c-mount (and Kodak) craze and one estate sale, several ebay lots and about 50 lenses later I am now sorting things out and started selling the (many) ones I won't keep. Finally, I have an affinity to Leica (unfortunately, without the adequate financial backing), and I really enjoy using my trusty old 50/2 R Summicron as a portrait lens, and I added a heavy Telyt 250/4 + extender for the long shots and just ordered the 60/2.8 Macro, all Leica R. Oh, and of course I have the 2 kit lenses and look at the 20/1.7 also.

Now I am getting to the point where I think this is too much, too redundant and too confusing for a mere user/non-collector, and I am seriously thinking of narrowing it down - i.e. getting rid of the FDs and 'limiting' it to c-mounts and Leica. I have a hard time letting some of the c-mounts go, I think they are really cool - but not always have the best performance. We'll see what I will keep.

In any case, I am still trying to compensate the lack of talent (and/or experience) with a large number of lenses and equipment, but I am working on it... I'm not into guns but one of my friends who is always says you should fear the man who only has one gun - he may know what he s doing. Similarly, I may have collected a lot of lenses in a short time, but I see examples of talent and skills here by people with less equipment that are very humbling to me.

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Now I am getting to the point where I think this is too much, too redundant and too confusing for a mere user/non-collector, and I am seriously thinking of narrowing it down ...
    It's easy for some of us to get caught up in the "equipment acquisition" phase, and perhaps even more so in micro-4/3, where the options are many, the prices attractive (sometimes), and experience and consensus is just starting to become available. I did a lot of buying and selling with my first DSLR, too, until I found the right "kits" for me. Then things settled down.

For MY photographic interests, I'm trying to put together the following:

A hiking/landscape kit (usually zooms; sometimes with a single fast prime and/or macro lens depending on destination)

An urban walkaround kit (faster primes and/or the wide-to-portrait zoom)

A macro lens

A couple of primes for portraits (one for full-length or seated, one for head and shoulders).

A travel kit (often the hiking/landscape and urban walkaround kits together; some lenses get left at the hotel/B&B depending on the day).

There's certainly some overlap. But sometimes the characteristics of a particular lens wins it a place in a kit even though there's already another lens with similar focal length and aperture.

Anyway, IT TAKES TIME to determine the right "set" of lenses for your interests. Take your time.
    Best regards,
    John.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post

Woody
    Hi Woody,
    It is nice to see you in this forum.
    I use the CV 28 f/1.9 once in a while. It works well on the G1. The 85mm Summarex (I know you have one) is wonderful, too, though it does not balance well. You will just have to try out the M lenses one-by-one as results have been mixed and lenses with less than 35mm focal length have generally not worked as well. I am now using Pen-F lenses. You might want to find a 40 f/1.4 Pen-F lens. It is cheap by Leica standards and is really wonderful on the GF1.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

It's easy for some of us to get caught up in the "equipment acquisition" phase, and perhaps even more so in micro-4/3, where the options are many, the prices attractive (sometimes), and experience and consensus is just starting to become available. ...

Anyway, IT TAKES TIME to determine the right "set" of lenses for your interests. Take your time.
    I agree. One of the things m4/3 (and eBay) has enabled for me is to also explore lenses which I think I would like to have had but could not afford, another is that has allowed me to examine lenses more closely than I ever could before with 35mm film. Using tools like dcraw enables me to make consistent and comparable evaluations of the lens results which I could never be sure of with film without being certain of things like film stock batch and development consistency.

So once I have identified a lens which i think suits my needs (say, a compact 200mm lens) I can obtain some samples at low costs, test and compare image and operation then sell what I no longer want.

fantastic

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I followed Cindy, Vivek, and Godfrey in building my system around the Pen F lenses: 20/3.5, 40/1.4, 42/1.2 (with 60/1.5 and 100/3.5 on the way). But I'm thinking about branching out into Rokkor (58mm) and Hexanon (57mm) lenses too.

Nice Pellicle. I am also a FD lens fanantic. I have too much to mention but the most important are:
    - Canon Fl 58mm f/1.2
    - Canon Fd 50mm f/1.4
    Jerry, how is the Canon FL 58/1.2. I really, really like this focal length on m4/3rds and am curious how the FL 58/1.2 performs around f/2.8.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    Jerry, how is the Canon FL 58/1.2. I really, really like this focal length on m4/3rds and am curious how the FL 58/1.2 performs around f/2.8.
    Hi Jonathon, the FL 58mm is a very nice lens. Great for indoor portraits. At f/2.8 it is still bit soft but great retro alike picture quality. And looks really great and impressive on the G1 :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I'm trying to do just about the same as you and it does take time--and a bit of experimentation.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,
    My first post, (other than in the F.S.forum)
    Madness set in , bought a G1 with 14-45 kit lens, only one week after purchasing the GF1 with the 20mm 1.7 and the 14-140.
    I have been selling my "heavy" equipment and settling for Panasonic u4/3.
    It is this great forum that drove me to camera store,armed with a credit card, there was no stopping me.
    Would you like a red or black, sir , we are out of blue, black it is , the whole
    transaction lasted maybe 3 minutes, as I gleefully exited the store with a quarterback's grip on the camera box, golly gee , now, that was fun.

This is truly a great forum, I spend a lot of time, the past week following the various threads and examining images and tests posted by the members.
    This helped me a great deal to make the right decision (for me)
    I am no longer comfortable with expensive heavy glass and I enjoy
    autofocus more for my purpose, Panasonic u4/3 suits my purpose , I really enjoy using it and the results.

I am attaching some images that I took flying through the mountains of
    beautiful British Columbia, the Kootenay valley from Cranbrook to Radium.
    These images are not of great quality, shooting one handed through the prop and plexiglass with bugs on the windshield, they do however give the general idea.
    For my next flight I'll clean the windshield

Best Regards

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Leyenaar; 22nd January 2013 at 16:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Leyenaar View Post
    Hello All,
    My first post, (other than in the F.S.forum)
    Madness set in , bought a G1 with 14-45 kit lens, only one week after purchasing the GF1 with the 20mm 1.7 and the 14-140.
    I have been selling my "heavy" equipment and settling for Panasonic u4/3.
    It is this great forum that drove me to camera store,armed with a credit card, there was no stopping me.
    Would you like a red or black, sir , we are out of blue, black it is , the whole
    transaction lasted maybe 3 minutes, as I gleefully exited the store with a quarterback's grip on the camera box, golly gee , now, that was fun.

This is truly a great forum, I spend a lot of time, the past week following the various threads and examining images and tests posted by the members.
    This helped me a great deal to make the right decision (for me)
    I am no longer comfortable with expensive heavy glass and I enjoy
    autofocus more for my purpose, Panasonic u4/3 suits my purpose , I really enjoy using it and the results.

I am attaching some images that I took flying through the mountains of
    beautiful British Columbia, the Kootenay valley from Cranbrook to Radium.
    These images are not of great quality, shooting one handed through the prop and plexiglass with bugs on the windshield, they do however give the general idea.
    For my next flight I'll clean the windshield

Best Regards

Peter
    Welcome, Peter. Now that looks like a great way to enjoy photography. #3 is my favorite.
    Congratulations on all the new gear.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome Peter,
    Congratulations on your new purchases! This forum is great place to visit but definitely dangerous to your wallet...

The bugs add ambiance to the first shot....or your sensor cleaner isn't working.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Morning Peter

Cessna 172?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Morning Peter

Cessna 172?
    Hello Pellicle

It is, good guess, do you fly ?

I used to have an older 172 with the manual flap handle, that I enjoyed more, however, this one is a nice flying bird too.

Best Regards

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Leyenaar View Post
    Hello Pellicle

It is, good guess, do you fly ?
    actually no, but I have sat in the other seat quite a bit. Have memories of a 2000Km journey in one (one refuel stop, but filled a few containers in the cockpit) ... its simply amazing to me that mid 50's planes are still just so effective and good and we've not really replaced them with anything better ...

well ... if you can put it on autopilot (or get your co-pilot to steer for you) you may take advantage of some lovely 70's optics for your newly acquired G1 :-)

I'm guessing that view out the window will favour slightly telephoto lenses but you may find some fun with some C mounts too ;-)