The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

photo: Trolley Dance - Triptych #1

Godfrey

Panasonic G1 + Konica 40mm f/1.8
context: godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com/ "Triptych 1"

Comments always appreciated! Thanks for looking!

---​

I thought I'd also mention my upcoming Lightroom workshop offering this weekend ...

Lightroom: Starting In The Middle
A two-session workshop for photographers interested to learn how to use Adobe Lightroom. No prerequisites, some familiarity with Photoshop and image processing workflow is helpful. Students are welcome to bring a library of their own work, either on external hard drive or laptop.

Dates: Sat., Nov. 7, 3 p.m. – 6 p.m., & Sun., Nov. 8, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Class Size: 3 – 8 students

Registrations must be made, and full payment received, prior to the first day of class.

To sign up – please contact Dave Sorokach at 650 494-8686 ext.10, or [email protected]
More information on the blog link. Thanks!

Jonas

Hi,

I like dip- and trip- and even quadrip- (lol, ?) tychs. They often tell a story or give more food for thoughts than a single image.

After having looked at this triptych for a while I felt uncomfortable. I had to look up the word Trolley and found it probably means "out of her mind" in this case, no?

The title and the images go well together. And what that was disturbing suddenly fits and then there isn't much to say about the bleach approach, or the shoes, or the somewhat unbalanced impression the triptych makes.

Interesting. Anyone understanding the title at once probably never thinks of the small details as they get it from the start. What happens if the title is changed, or removed?

regards, /Jonas

Godfrey

@ simonclivehughs:

backstory:

"Trolley Dance 2009" was the sixth annual event of its kind in San Francisco a few weekends ago. Essentially, a range of dance performances was arranged along the route of the "J Church" trolley line (San Francisco's MUNI) from Dolores Park to Balboa Park. You bought a day pass on the trolley and followed the entertainment. From park to park there were eight or nine performances to enjoy (and photograph...).

This particular scene was from the second to last performance in Balboa Park. It was two women and an accordian player, very emotional and moving to watch and listen to.

@ jonas:

Never heard of that definition of "trolley" before. I think you're mistaking the word 'trolley' with the English language expression "off one's trolley" which means to have gone mad, run amok, etc.

Thank you both for looking and commenting!

Jonas

Aha. Trolley as tram in this case then. You know, out of 9 different ways to interpret the word "trolley" I picked the only one not having anything with cars or trams.

So, there you go then. I felt uneasy and
Code:
9. 	off one's trolley, Slang.
a. 	in a confused mental state.
b. 	insane: He's been off his trolley for years, but his family refuses to have him committed.
source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trolley

Well, "in a confused mental state" fitted well to what I thought the dancer tried to present. Interesting again,

/Jonas

JMaher

Godfrey,

I really like this - I need to try something similar. I'd love to come to your class as I just started learning Lightroom but its a long commute from Tampa. If you ever do one of these on this side of the country let me know.

Jim

Terry

Hi Godfrey,
I was a bit technology challenged while moving and missed this. Really like the triptych.

Guess I missed the event when I was in Oregon. Note to self...pay attention to SF happenings.

Godfrey

Thanks for looking and commenting!

I am actually looking for ways to bring my Lightroom and Photoshop workshops to more locations. This effort is just getting rolling now. Next month, I'll be offering another round of Photoshop, then in January I've been asked to do another Lightroom and a new workshop on Digital B&W.

If anyone has any ideas for putting together a workshop tour, I'd love to know them.