Site Sponsors

Thread: Odd focus behaviour from the Oly 9-18 on a G1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Odd focus behaviour from the Oly 9-18 on a G1

Hi Folks:

I just received an Olympus 9-18 zoom and m4/3 adaptor. As Pellicle mentioned in an earlier thread, the AF is noisy; sounds like there's an angry mosquito inside. I was a bit surprised to find that the manual focus was noisy as well, especially if I turn the focus ring quickly. AF speed is slower than the Panasonic kit zooms, but still acceptable to me.

What concerns me is that there is a slight, but definite lateral jiggle or shift in the image just as the lens attains focus. This happens in both MF and AF; and at various focus distances. I haven't seen this in any other lens I've owned.

Is this normal for the 9-18? Has anyone else seen this with the lens? I have two weeks to return it for a refund, and three weeks to return it for exchange. And wouldn't you know it that info on the new Olympus 9-18 m4/3 lens was leaked out the same day my new lens arrived.

Thanks
    Santo

BTW, there's no vignetting at all with a polarizing filter attached. The filter is branded as Panasonic, but it looks just like the Hoya Pro slim line, for quite a bit less money.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Odd focus behaviour from the Oly 9-18 on a G1

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by sangio View Post
    Hi Folks:

I just received an Olympus 9-18 zoom and m4/3 adaptor. As Pellicle mentioned in an earlier thread, the AF is noisy; sounds like there's an angry mosquito inside. I was a bit surprised to find that the manual focus was noisy as well,
    BTW, there's no vignetting at all with a polarizing filter attached. The filter is branded as Panasonic, but it looks just like the Hoya Pro slim line, for quite a bit less money.
    considering that it is a fully electronic lens, the "manual focus" is just you governing the location of the lens with an electronic contol at the front instead of the camera I was un-surprised that it sounded the same on manual as it did on autofocus

I prefer the manual focus as it seems to stop the annoying jiggle around of AF and speeds up picture taking.

at f8 set focus to 2 or so meters out and you're covered most of the time:-)

just check it doesn't drift between power up and power down (cos it does)