The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Odd focus behaviour from the Oly 9-18 on a G1

sangio

Hi Folks:

I just received an Olympus 9-18 zoom and m4/3 adaptor. As Pellicle mentioned in an earlier thread, the AF is noisy; sounds like there's an angry mosquito inside. I was a bit surprised to find that the manual focus was noisy as well, especially if I turn the focus ring quickly. AF speed is slower than the Panasonic kit zooms, but still acceptable to me.

What concerns me is that there is a slight, but definite lateral jiggle or shift in the image just as the lens attains focus. This happens in both MF and AF; and at various focus distances. I haven't seen this in any other lens I've owned.

Is this normal for the 9-18? Has anyone else seen this with the lens? I have two weeks to return it for a refund, and three weeks to return it for exchange. And wouldn't you know it that info on the new Olympus 9-18 m4/3 lens was leaked out the same day my new lens arrived. :banghead:

Thanks
Santo

BTW, there's no vignetting at all with a polarizing filter attached. The filter is branded as Panasonic, but it looks just like the Hoya Pro slim line, for quite a bit less money.

pellicle

Hi

Hi Folks:

I just received an Olympus 9-18 zoom and m4/3 adaptor. As Pellicle mentioned in an earlier thread, the AF is noisy; sounds like there's an angry mosquito inside. I was a bit surprised to find that the manual focus was noisy as well,
BTW, there's no vignetting at all with a polarizing filter attached. The filter is branded as Panasonic, but it looks just like the Hoya Pro slim line, for quite a bit less money.
considering that it is a fully electronic lens, the "manual focus" is just you governing the location of the lens with an electronic contol at the front instead of the camera I was un-surprised that it sounded the same on manual as it did on autofocus

I prefer the manual focus as it seems to stop the annoying jiggle around of AF and speeds up picture taking.

at f8 set focus to 2 or so meters out and you're covered most of the time:)

just check it doesn't drift between power up and power down (cos it does)