Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Macro options for m4/3

Post Thanks / Like

Macro options for m4/3

I've been mulling over macro options for my GF1...I'm wondering what's out there that is really small that can be adapted. The Oly Pen 38 macro would probably be great (Monza digs it) but it's quite rare...how about the Takumar 50/4? Does anyone have a photo of it mounted, with adapter, on an m4/3 camera? I'm a Pentax guy and love the Taks but have never used that one.

There wasn't a Pentax 110 macro, was there? even if there was, I would probably need aperture control...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Macro options for m4/3

I am using a Tokina ATX 90mm f/2.5 fd mount on my G1, a really great Macro lens. Not small but good! For my results have a look at: http://flickriver.com/photos/elchiva...r-interesting/ most of them are my Tokina in action.

Good luck on your journey to find your best macro setup. Jerry.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if not the Olympus ZD 35mm macro lens is among the smallest you can get? True - it gets bigger with the 4/3->4/3 adapter, but it is still small and a good performer from what I have seen. /Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Right now, I'm using my Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8 lens. I am using with the Panny 4/3-m4/3 and Fotodiox F adapters. It's not too big, but of course the adapter doesn't help.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

My absolute smallest macro lens combination on the G1 is a 1" (25mm) C mount Cine lens like the B&H Lumax f/1.9 or the B&H Super Comat f/1.9 with a 5mm extensions tube. The results are quite good but to be honest not as good as a prime Macro as the Tokina or my Canon 50mm f/3.5.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if I should just buy an extension tube set for my Pen F-series lenses. This would be very cheap, and I already have the adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
    I wonder if I should just buy an extension tube set for my Pen F-series lenses. This would be very cheap, and I already have the adapter.
    If you look at this, the results can be pretty amazing! http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&...on+tube&m=text

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMK View Post
    If you look at this, the results can be pretty amazing! http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&...on+tube&m=text
    Sold. $40 at KEH...not bad at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Any legacy 35mm lenses and extension tubes. I really like my 50 f1.8 and 100 f2.8 for this.

This discussion http://www.flickr.com/groups/1084614...7622511331555/ turned into a discussion about macro options

The problem is that once you get into macro you need extension

this is all my macro extenions stacked on ... depending on what I'm doing I often just use the 20mm one ... leading me to feel that the FD 50 1:2 (half life size) macro lens would do the trick.

But that is then a bigger lens to carry ... so I stay using the 50 f1.8 and put an extension tube in my pack.

of course you can use shorter focal length lenses if you don't mind working distance to be close (and therfore perspective wider)

I've used a c mount 12mm lens which only needs 2 or 3mm extension to get quite close. This is even at f1.3 so DoF is interesting

its sure light, but that may not be your thing.
    Last edited by pellicle; 5th November 2009 at 21:25.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting, I have to try a c-mount with an extension ring, and I think I even have a few extension rings for the FDs somewhere. I vaguely remember someone mention that they even used a reversed D-mount lens with good success as a macro lens - was that here?

Anyway, I finally caved in and just got a Leica R 60/2.8 Macro off the German ebay site and hope it will be in my parents' Christmas package (they live in Germany and will send it then - together with an old FD 50/3.5 Macro that I had laying around).

BTW, the Leica comes with the macro extender which allows for 1:1 on the Leica - does that mean it will be 2:1 on the G1? And - sorry of this is a stupid question, but physics almost cost me my high school diploma - what will happen if I use the 60mm Macro lens using the Leica 2x converter?

Final question: I need to get a rail for macro shots, and there seems to be quite a bit of a range. Will something like this do? http://cgi.ebay.com/4-way-macro-focu...item518db25cfd What would I gain from a better (=more expensive) one?

I hope this adds instead of leading the post astray, thanks,

Stefan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Olympus ZD 35 Macro. It goes to 1:1 and is superb quality for less than $200. Put it on the EC14 and you get 1.4:1 (albeit a bit slow) which is great for small object and flat art copy work.

For 3D pieces, I have used the ZD 50-200 with a Canon 500D close up lens. That gets you down to around the 1:1.5 range with lots of working room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got a set of russian screwmount rings since I have a set of LTM lenses anyway. First trials look promising. Choice of focal length depends mostly on working distance, the amount of rings makes magnification.
    "You live and learn; at any rate you live" (Douglas Adams)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am using an Olympus OM 50mm f/3.5. Quite cheap and pretty good. Focus is only down to 1:2 and you need a 25mm extension ring to get 1:1 but there are plenty of 3rd party OM extension sets for next to nothing on eBay and these generally give something like 17mm, 34mm and 50mm rings.

AFIK, there were no macro lenses in Pentax 110 and even if there was, it wouldn't be very good as you cannot stop down the lens as the aperture is in the camera body (or something weird like that).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Very interesting, I have to try a c-mount with an extension ring, and I think I even have a few extension rings for the FDs somewhere.
    actually I just unscrewed it on the threads some what for that shot ... anything more than 5mm would be too much for a 12mm lens ...

BTW, the Leica comes with the macro extender which allows for 1:1 on the Leica - does that mean it will be 2:1 on the G1?
    no, it will be 1:1 ... only the effective angle of view will change and also to some extent the depth of field at any aperture may be different to what you may "calculate"

it all works out well for me ...

And - sorry of this is a stupid question, but physics almost cost me my high school diploma - what will happen if I use the 60mm Macro lens using the Leica 2x converter?
    if you mean a teleconverter, then image quality will degrade and it will be about 200mm effective length

Final question: I need to get a rail for macro shots, and there seems to be quite a bit of a range. Will something like this do? http://cgi.ebay.com/4-way-macro-focu...item518db25cfd What would I gain from a better (=more expensive) one?

as you can see above I went the cheap path again and only have a simple rail. I didn't feel that I needed left and right as well ... but it certainly won't hurt!

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pellicle, that's helpful. I bought e few rings that usually get the c-mount to the length of a cs-mount - I think they are 3mm or 5mm. With a few of them I should be able to play around a bit - if I can remember where I put the little thingies. I'm in the middle or reorganizing my photo gear in my apartment and right now in the phase where I don't find anything anymore...

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm using a Nikon setup with bellows and a 55/2.8 Micro Nikkor
    I'm very happy with it

C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will something like this do? http://cgi.ebay.com/4-way-macro-focu...item518db25cfd

Stefan
    I just purchased one. Looks like a very nice piece of gear.
    I imagine that I will be able to use it also for panoramic shots, but maybe I am just dreaming

Will let you know my impressions after the first round of shots !

Rafael

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind BIG... :-) sometimes I use this bellows setup

to shoot images like these

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    I just purchased one. Looks like a very nice piece of gear.
    I imagine that I will be able to use it also for panoramic shots, but maybe I am just dreaming

Will let you know my impressions after the first round of shots !

Rafael
    Rafael,

Please let us know your opinions about this. I just checked it and wonder its possibilities. I have an RRS focusing rail that I like, but--this seems to open other possibilities. I've been using my FD 50 f/1.8 and extension tubes also for the bit of macro I do, but am always interested in other options.

sagarmatha

Is it possible to use Canon MPE-65 on a G1/GH1? What extra do I need and will it work like if it was put on a Canon body?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sagarmatha View Post
    Is it possible to use Canon MPE-65 on a G1/GH1? What extra do I need and will it work like if it was put on a Canon body?
    I think from what I understand the hard part is that you cannot set the diafragma manually, so you will only be able to shoot wide open. I also looked at that really great Macro lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sagarmatha View Post
    No. Use it on a FF Canon body. That lens deserves a good/fully compatible system camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Rafael,

Please let us know your opinions about this. I just checked it and wonder its possibilities.
    I will report on it, Diane, as soon as I receive it, which will be, I hope, veeerrry soon

C U,
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said, since macro tubes are so cheap, they're worth getting and trying out for anyone who already has adapted lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so weak I just snapped this one up on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Always wanted to try one of these bellows. Of course, I could have spent a fraction of the money for a Canon FD one, but with all the c-mounts I have around, I wanted to play with that a little bit. We'll see what happens when it gets here... Does anybody happen to know anything about the Schneider 80/2.8? What I found on the web was consistently very promising.

Stefan
    Last edited by apicius9; 10th November 2009 at 18:52.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stefan, Google. Xenotar is the Schneider version of the Zeiss Planar.

I think you did good.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here are some results with the Olympus Pen 40mm and 60mm lenses, with extension tube set. An incredibly inexpensive and effective solution, I think. The 40, with its already close focus, is the ideal lens to use with the tubes.

(This, by the way, is a single chicken feather lying in the grass.)

(Leica M2 with Canon 35/1.8 lens.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
    OK, here are some results with the Olympus Pen 40mm and 60mm lenses, with extension tube set. An incredibly inexpensive and effective solution, I think. The 40, with its already close focus, is the ideal lens to use with the tubes.
    Very nice photos and great examples of what one can achieve with the setup. By inexpensive, I guess you mean the tubes, because it's increasingly difficult to find these lenses selling cheaply any more (especially the 60mm!)
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's the tubes that were cheap, $40 from KEH! But I did manage to find the 40/1.4 for $100 on eBay. The 60 is another story...

Post Thanks / Like

I bet the old contax zeiss 60mm would be a great choice. Too bad I sold my leica 100mm 2.8 AP0 macro lens

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I use the Olympus ZD 35 Macro. It goes to 1:1 and is superb quality for less than $200. Put it on the EC14 and you get 1.4:1 (albeit a bit slow) which is great for small object and flat art copy work.

For 3D pieces, I have used the ZD 50-200 with a Canon 500D close up lens. That gets you down to around the 1:1.5 range with lots of working room.
    Godfrey - have you actually gotten the EC14 to work with the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter? The Panasonic site lists it as incompatible, along with the EC20 and the EX25 extension ring. I tried the EX25 (in spite of the warning) and found it didn't work, as stated. I have the ZD 35 macro and if you have the EC14 working I'd love to give it a go.

BTW - though not really macro, the 20/1.7 with the Canon 250D or any other decent close up adapters does a credible job for close up work.
    Bob Trancho

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by btrancho View Post
    BTW - though not really macro, the 20/1.7 with the Canon 250D or any other decent close up adapters does a credible job for close up work.

I tried all the diopters I have (Macrotars, Elpros, Olympus close ups, Canon Ds,..) not much of a difference in magnifications with that 20/1.7.

sagarmatha

Well, if you put a 500D (D=2.0) in front of a 200 mm lens then you increase the magnification to 0.40. If you put it on a 20 mm the magnification will only be 0.04. In both cases when the lens is focused to infinity.

Post Thanks / Like

Some wise worths one the usage of diopters here:http://home.sprintmail.com/~awiner/diopters.html

It is not al about magnification...

A diopter adds some magnification to your image. If you can focus from the same distance with the same zoom with and without the diopter, it seems the image is a bit bigger with the diopter. (At one such setting on the F-717, a +5 diopter adds about 20% of magnification.) This is very nice, but is not the really big win.

The big win is that a diopter changes the focus range of your lens. Diopters come in powers from +1 to +5 (that I've seen). They're also stackable: you can put a +4 diopter on top of another +4 diopter, and conveniently that gives you the effect of a +8 diopter. (Quality does suffer when you stack.) The higher the number, the more powerful the diopter. The more powerful the diopter, the closer you can focus. Specifically: divide 100 centimeters by the diopter power. That's the maximum focus distance of the diopter. A +5 diopter focuses at 20 centimeters or less. A +2 diopter focuses at 50 centimeters or less.

Read more on the URL above

Post Thanks / Like

Much has already been written in this thread, so I would like to show one of my setups with the results. The lens is a Kern Yvar 75mm/2.5 used with a set of extension tubes on the G1, which in turn was fixed to a 4 way focusing rail on a tripod. Available light from the nearby window. The subject is an inflorescence of Oncydium Twinkle Twinkle Little Star orchids. Each flower has an actual width of 12mm. All G1 pictures at ISO=100, raws developed in RAW Therapee, resized with gimp. The setup was taken with a Micro Nikkor 105mm/2.8 on a D700 and in-camera flash

The whole setup

A complete set of Bolex extension tubes. You can get similar C-Mount tubes from various sources, such as Edmund Optics or on ebay with some patience.

This 4-way focusing rail can be found on ebay.
    I also have a Nikon one, but it interfered with the shape of the G1 body and cannot be used with the G1

One inflorescence using the 10+25mm rings. On my screen the flowers are about 5 times lifesize

Kern Yvar 75mm/2.5 with 10mm+50mm extension rings. As I already mentioned, the actual width of the flower is 12mm. On my screen it looks about 15 times lifesize
    Last edited by petermcwerner; 18th November 2009 at 02:51.
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Post Thanks / Like

Used my old Contax Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 100f2.8 again. It is nice but very heavy for my GH1.

I will try to use my old favorite Hasselblad S-Planar 120 next time. That is one of the main reasons that I bought the M 4/3 system.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use various setups.

I have a Canon 250D achromat in 52mm for the 14-45 and 45-200 which is very small and goes everywhere where the other two lenses go.

My most useful (in my terms) macro setup is a 200/4 AI Micro-Nikkor on adapter. I really like longer macro lenses, and this is just great for choosing the correct background.

I also have a late version 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor which is superb and relatively compact.

Then there is my Leica Bellows II for M which takes various lenses, from the 65/3.5 Elmar, 135 Tele-Elmar, Zeiss 60/4 Orthoplanar-S, Olympus 38/3.5 macro, Focotars, and especially my set of Photars: 25mm, 50mm, 80mm and 120mm. The Photars are hard to top. I can also put the m4/3 cameras on the back of the Aristophot:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hwu..._1438.jpg.html

The Photors are also very handy (especially the 80) with various tubes and adapters and Pentax and Kilfitt helicoid extension tubes. This would make my smallest very high quality macro setup.

Henning

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used the same lens on the GF1 and a high resolution DSLR like the Canon 1DsmkIII or 5DII. i would be interested in seeing some comparisons where the lens is taken out of the equation. A macro comparison would be fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Has anyone used the same lens on the GF1 and a high resolution DSLR like the Canon 1DsmkIII or 5DII. i would be interested in seeing some comparisons where the lens is taken out of the equation. A macro comparison would be fantastic.
    I no longer have access to a 1DsMk3 or 5D2. What do you think of using a 1Ds or 1DMk3 instead for comparison? What kind of subject matter?

Or, you don't mind to wait a few months for the 1DMk4 .
    Last edited by slau; 18th November 2009 at 15:46.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

I think any comparison would be interesting. I have both cameras but I do not have an adapter to use a canon EOS lens on my GF1. If i still had my leica 100mm macro, i would have selected this lens since it is such a great optic.

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    I no longer have access to a 1DsMk3 or 5D2. What do you think of using a 1Ds or 1DMk3 instead for comparison? What kind of subject matter?

Or, you don't mind to wait a few months for the 1DMk4 .

Post Thanks / Like

I can use my 1DMk3 for comparison. I can use one of the following macro lenses:

Sigma APO 180f3.5
    Contax Zeiss Makro-Planar 100f2.8
    Hasselblad 120 S-planar
    Canon EOS TSE 90 + tubes

The Sigma will be easier on the Panasonic camera as it has its own lens mount so that it will not be putting too much stress on the GH1 lens mount. My personal favorite will be the Contax macro. But, I think you want to 'take the lens out of the equation'. What kind of subject do you have in mind?
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by btrancho View Post
    Godfrey - have you actually gotten the EC14 to work with the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter? The Panasonic site lists it as incompatible, along with the EC20 and the EX25 extension ring. I tried the EX25 (in spite of the warning) and found it didn't work, as stated. I have the ZD 35 macro and if you have the EC14 working I'd love to give it a go.
    Unfortunately, no, not for Oly ZD lenses. I forgot that we were talking about the Lumix G cameras ... I use the 35 Macro with the EC14 on my L1 and E-1 bodies.

I have used the EC14 on the G1 with Pentax and Nikon lenses in front of it, on FourThirds mount adapters. It does an excellent job that way: only its optics are being used. Olympus ZD lenses can't be used with it, they simply remain inert, do not focus or work the aperture.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,

I had already made such a comparison between the G1 and the Nikon D700 in my post G1 compared to Nikon D700 but the consensus of the comments was that it was not very meaningful.

I have a G1 and a Nikon D700, as well as a Nikon adapter for the G1 and could take a different shot. However, if I take the same scene from the same location, the G1 will catch only a fraction of the FOV of the FF D700. I cannot see this to be very interesting. Or do you have a better proposition?

Cheers
    Peter
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Post Thanks / Like

Mark

nearly, but not exactly. I wanted to take my OM 50mm lens with me, but fluffed it up and left it behind. So instead I had to use my kit zoom and the Canon EF 24-105L.

My blog article is here, and my personal question was what is the per square cm image capture like between the 5D MkII and the G1 ... meaning if we get a 36x24 sensor of the same density as the G1 will it perform any better than the 5DMkII does.

Here is a screen shot (scaled down) of the same central portion with the same focal length.

clicking that image should load the full size (I hope)

Post Thanks / Like

I have been shooting my GH1 and 1DMk3 side-by-side during my last few trips. Also, have been making up to 13X19 prints (of images with tons of details) from both cameras from the trips. Even with the Panasonic kit lens 14-140, the Panasonic GH1 holds its own very well when the light is decent and ISO is lower than 400. I have lots of confidence in the GH1 for outdoor landscape type of shots (when it is not raining ). Basically from my real world experience, you have to be very observing to tell the prints apart. No, the Panasonic cannot replace the Canon 1DMk3 yet, probably not for another couple of years.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

hi there

I have been shooting my GH1 and 1DMk3 side-by-side during my last few trips. Also, have been making up to 13X19 prints (of images with tons of details) from both cameras from the trips.... Basically from my real world experience, you have to be very observing to tell the prints apart.
    nice to hear such positives :-)

since there are such differences as:
    * weather sealing
    * frame rate (images / sec)
    * AF and stabilized lens availability
    * tilt shift lens availablity

I can imagine why you say

No, the Panasonic cannot replace the Canon 1DMk3 yet, probably not for another couple of years.
    :-)

but knowing all the above makes me feel happier to be on a trip to Rome / Spain / France next month with just the kit 14-45, 9-18 and an FD 200f4 and not feel like "gosh I should have taken my ..."

now, if I had a 12-60 I probably would leave the 9-18 at home ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure whether I should open a new thread about that, but I would like to hear some opinions on tripods for macro work if I may? I have a very light Slik Sprint Pro that is light enough to actually carry it around with me but doesn;t hold much weight. Now I have a 4-way rail and a bellows & lens combo on the way, and was thinking about a basic tripod that would be used 95% of the time for macro and product shots with my little light tent and probably never would leave the house. I see that the prices on tripods are open-ended, but for such a basic use, wouldn't a cheap one be enough as long as it holds the weight of the rail & camera and doesn't fall over? I don't need speed, low weight, fast assembly, ballheads etc, and I can do all the precision work with the rail. Or am I totally off? To be honest, I never understood what the advantage of the high-priced branded tripods was... Thanks for your input,

Stefan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure whether I should open a new thread about that, but I would like to hear some opinions on tripods for macro work if I may? I have a very light Slik Sprint Pro that is light enough to actually carry it around with me but doesn;t hold much weight. Now I have a 4-way rail and a bellows & lens combo on the way, and was thinking about a basic tripod that would be used 95% of the time for macro and product shots with my little light tent and probably never would leave the house. I see that the prices on tripods are open-ended, but for such a basic use, wouldn't a cheap one be enough as long as it holds the weight of the rail & camera and doesn't fall over? I don't need speed, low weight, fast assembly, ballheads etc, and I can do all the precision work with the rail. Or am I totally off? To be honest, I never understood what the advantage of the high-priced branded tripods was...
    If you don't need compact size, light weight, speed in setup, flexibility in positioning, etc, then the bottom line comes down to how stable the tripod is and how durable it is. Top of the line tripods are durable and very stable, cheap tripods tend to wear out quickly and are filmsy for a given elevation and weight-bearing capability.

The tripod I use in the studio (or carry when I'm not going to be pounding distances into the field away from the car) are a nice set of Manfrotto 3021BN legs (purchased new as a remainder for $80) fitted with a Kirk BH-1 ball head. They weigh a bit, are utterly stable for gear up to 30lbs weight, and stand more than tall enough without column extension for eye-level work. The head's expensive, the legs not, and will likely last for 20 years or more ... a very serviceable tripod for a lot of uses.

(Actually, I don't really need them at all anymore ... I don't need a tripod that can handle so much weight since I stopped shooting medium format. If anyone wants a good set of legs and a top-notch head, drop me a line.)

Post Thanks / Like

I am responding to Pellicle's 45mm 5DII and panasonic comparison posted above. I read the blog and have a couple of comments.

I did some experimenting with the GF1 14-45 and 5DII 24-105 the other day. I did all of my tests handheld but in good light. I used the equivalent focal lengths. so 14mm/GF1= 28mm on the 5DII. Now you get more coverage with the 5DII when doing this--- so for landscape shots, I am not sure i would agree that the 4/3rds system is superior. In my case, I shot a wood fence surrounded by plants and trees-- the fence had lots of grain. In my opinion, at the low isos, the detail was pretty close and the overall image quality also pretty darn good, when pixel peeping. However, when trying to upsize the 4/3rds to equalize the pixels on the L side, you could start to see the differences and the 5DII won out. However, the difference was not as great as I might have expected.
    So for landscapes, if you were trying to get the same visual field, different focal lengths are required and then i think you would start to see more differences. I need to make some prints to see how well this holds up in that respect.

Post Thanks / Like

HOw about anything with alot of detail (e.g. rusty nail) and shoot that 1:1 in both cases

I can use my 1DMk3 for comparison. I can use one of the following macro lenses:

Sigma APO 180f3.5
    Contax Zeiss Makro-Planar 100f2.8
    Hasselblad 120 S-planar
    Canon EOS TSE 90 + tubes

The Sigma will be easier on the Panasonic camera as it has its own lens mount so that it will not be putting too much stress on the GH1 lens mount. My personal favorite will be the Contax macro. But, I think you want to 'take the lens out of the equation'. What kind of subject do you have in mind?