Site Sponsors

Thread: Wireless shutter release for the G1?

Post Thanks / Like

Wireless shutter release for the G1?

Hi, I was just shopping on ebay and while browsing through the Chinese gentleman' store, I came across wireless shutter releases for all kinds of cameras except the Panasonics. Does anybody use one of these on a G1 - and where would I get a reliable one? Of course, there are other ways but that might really be neat for some macro shots I am planning.

Mahalo,

Stefan

jerryk

Re: Wireless shutter release for the G1?

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Hi, I was just shopping on ebay and while browsing through the Chinese gentleman' store, I came across wireless shutter releases for all kinds of cameras except the Panasonics. Does anybody use one of these on a G1 - and where would I get a reliable one? Of course, there are other ways but that might really be neat for some macro shots I am planning.

Mahalo,

Stefan

I ordered this one. I have not received it yet. However I have used other Cactus shutter releases.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_3086wt_804

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I will look into these. Let us know how it works when you get yours,

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
    I ordered this one. I have not received it yet. However I have used other Cactus shutter releases.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_3086wt_804
    Jerry, I was about to buy a wired remote, but now considering this one instead. I assume it will work just as the wired (which is the only type I've used in the past) and I would be able to hold the shutter button and trigger the bracket sequence (if I chose), Thanks for the link and let us know how you like it.

Diane

ugene

HI all,

I purchased this ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT ) off ebay, and it's being shipped over now

Will let you guys/gals know how it works!

About $20 Much cheaper than the other option

jerryk

Quote Originally Posted by ugene View Post
    HI all,

I purchased this ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT ) off ebay, and it's being shipped over now

Will let you guys/gals know how it works!

About $20 Much cheaper than the other option
    I saw that one. However, I think it is optical and I wanted a RF based remote.

Jerry

jerryk

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Jerry, I was about to buy a wired remote, but now considering this one instead. I assume it will work just as the wired (which is the only type I've used in the past) and I would be able to hold the shutter button and trigger the bracket sequence (if I chose), Thanks for the link and let us know how you like it.

Diane
    My previous Cactus RF units have worked the same as the wired, which is to the say the same as the shutter release on the camera.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
    I saw that one. However, I think it is optical and I wanted a RF based remote.

Jerry
    Optical? can you elaborate? I was considering this one too simply because it was nicer on the eyes..ha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think, from what I saw in the Ebay offer, that the more expensive one is RF (Radio Frequency) while the cheaper one is IR (Infra-Red)

The RF one should have normally longer range, and should work better outdoor in the sunshine.

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

jerryk

Quote Originally Posted by MRfanny View Post
    Optical? can you elaborate? I was considering this one too simply because it was nicer on the eyes..ha.
    From the picture it looks like the signal is transmitted from the sender to the receiver as an optical signal like your TV remote. As such it could have:
    • Issues with being swamped by signals from external light.
    • Would be more or less line of sight. Only if the receiver and transmitter would have to be facing each and have a clean view of each other would it work.
    • Would have some issues with bulb functionality. I assume that if you moved and accidentally blocked the path between transmitter and receiver the shutter would release, which could ruin a long exposure.

Because of these issues and a distance advantage, I prefer a RF (radio frequency) based remote shutter release.

Post Thanks / Like

cheers, very valid issues and I'm glad you mentioned them. now i know what to look for when buying.

jerryk

Hi,

I received the Cactus unit and it works as advertised. It was a bit cold so I did not go outside, but the unit worked on the first floor of my house when I was on the second floor in the opposite corner. A distance of 70 feet or so through many walls.

With one exception, pressing the button is just like pressing the shutter on the camera. Half pressing the button activates the autofocus and pressing harder trips the shutter release. The one exception is Bulb mode. When the camera is in Bulb Mode you press the button down for a couple of seconds. When you release the button the shutter stays open. When you press the shutter button a second time the shutter closes.

Jerry