The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 (Image Thread)

scho

Hello Amin, welcome back and thanks for starting this thread. The 20 1.7 is my current favorite lens for the G's. Here are two local shots from this fall.

Brian Mosley

Well then, Brian, what WAS so funny about Jono's lovely picture and what WERE you thinking? Surely you can let us all in on this private joke!?

I only ask because when i read it, I interpreted your original comment the same way Terry did; and quite understandably I might add, because you DO go on and on about Oly color.
Joan, I don't want to upset any Pany fans (and I sense I already have)... so let's just drop it - it was an expression of what a fine image Jono has produced. I love it.

Cheers

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ah, then it's clear you don't know what I'm thinking :p

Certainly nothing to do with Oly colour, so pipe down :lecture:

Cheers

Brian
Let's be very clear here there will be NO telling ANYONE to pipe down here on GETDPI. I consider this a insult and also a warning. Pipe down means shut up in my book. First she is not only a forum member but a mod. to boot and no one will ever insult a moderator on this forum. :wtf:

Brian Mosley

:wtf: indeed... I didn't think Terry was diving in as a moderator - of course respect cuts all ways. I apologise for using 'pipe down' - meaning 'back off', 'chill out', 'give me a break', etc... how sensitive / politically correct do we need to be exactly?

Cheers

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
:wtf: indeed... I didn't think Terry was diving in as a moderator - of course respect cuts all ways. I apologise for using 'pipe down' - meaning 'back off', 'chill out', 'give me a break', etc... how sensitive / politically correct do we need to be exactly?

Cheers

Brian
One word RESPECT. Call whatever political correctness you want but if it is NOT shown to members than the door is to the right. Read the rules.

3) Arguing, rudeness, generally poor or negative behavior will be dealt with at moderator discretion as they see fit. This may result in the offending post(s) or entire thread(s) being deleted with or without explanation, and/or the offending poster(s) being banned or having their accounts suspended or erased. Note that broader topical and emotional latitude is tolerated in the "Sunset Bar" forum, but decisions on thread or post appropriateness remain at moderator discretion there as well.

Terry

Kjell,
Lovee the dogs. They are obviously each looking at something but still amazing that they can see.

terry

Diane B

Love everybody's photos--the sheepdogs are a neat catch. But I'm always a sucker for a good dog photo.

Interesting the diversity in the shots just in a short thread.

Terry

Brian,
I am not sure how I disrespected you. Clearly from Joan's post and from a couple of the emails/PMs I received after my post, others felt the same way. In other posts when you like a shot you simply tell the person you like a shot and what you like about it. So, in this instance it seemed pretty clear there was an inside joke going on.

If you are calling me a Panny fan (implied in your answer to Joan), yes, I do like the GF1 better than the E-P1 but I've continued to say my issues with the Oly camera have nothing to do with IQ but the user interface and focus. In addition, I still own the E-P1, and as people around here know, I'm not shy about selling gear.

What I react to here and on DPReview is that most of your posts tend to very subtly contain a dig against the Panasonic cameras which is really quite unnecessary. Everyone will find the camera that suits them best. The best thing that can happen to m4/3 is that there is a very broad base of customers to support R&D for more lenses and bodies.

Joan

Joan, I don't want to upset any Pany fans (and I sense I already have)... so let's just drop it - it was an expression of what a fine image Jono has produced. I love it.

Cheers

Brian
Well, Brian, I'm sorry, but I don't believe you were just complimenting Jono. If you were, there would have been no need for the ' :D ' and the ' :ROTFL: .' It has nothing to do with being a "Pany fan." I happen to love Olympus colors, but I don't think we need any one-upmanship here. So, please don't treat us as if we are imbeciles and can't "get" the subtext.

And yes, now I'll drop it, out of respect to Amin and this otherwise lovely thread. Sorry, Guy, but I felt that I had to respond to Brian, but now I'm out.

Brian Mosley

I'm sorry Terry, Joan - my post was inappropriate and insensitive to you both... I was referring to a private e-mail exchange I'd had with Jono recently, and not intending to insult any brand loyalties - which is why I reacted badly to Terry's post - even though I accept she didn't intend any disrespect towards me.

Kind Regards

Brian

retow

First of all Amin, can I say that it's . . . . .

Wonderful to have you back

I've only had this lens for 24 hours, and most of those were either at work or dark . . . and I've also been playing with the 45 macro.

anyway, here's a shot from this afternoon:
taken with the pen
Your impressions of the 45 macro would be highly appreciated. The DPR conclusions were somewhat lukewarm. But real live usage might show it's actually a decent performer?

Diane B

Your impressions of the 45 macro would be highly appreciated. The DPR conclusions were somewhat lukewarm. But real live usage might show it's actually a decent performer?

Jono seems to be the only one here that has seen the 45 f/2.8 let alone actually has one LOL. Otherwise, I'd suggest he start a thread like this on the 45.

I do want to see some other shots with it. I played this morning with several lenses in that range--35-50, including even my TS which is 45 f/2.8 (though not a useful lens as this would be)--trying to talk myself OUT of wanting it. So far--it hasn't really worked LOL. Looking at the lens roadmaps there doesn't appear to be anything coming down the pike for a good while that would be better in that range (I would have liked a bit faster--but if needed, I can pull out my 40 f/1.8 MF). I don't shoot all that much macro, per se, but do like closeups--and I do like in the range of 45 on the 4/3rds and would like an native lens in that range.

SO--Jono, favor us, please :D with some more shots with this lens.

L

Linh

Wide open, ISO3200, heavily cropped ~1:2. This is Alison Sudol of A Fine Frenzy

Messing around with Dfine and SilverEfex... I bought it on a whim, ha. Though, I'm thinking LR3's grain and NR might actually be enough for my needs. Too bad a) it's still beta, and b) can't return software you buy before any LR3 announcement =)

bensonga

Looks like a terrific lens.....just ordered one from Amazon for my G1, but they say it may be 1-2 months before it's delivered.

Gary

F

fullkoll

Terry, Diane - thanks a lot.

I really like my mFT-gear - to be able to take good pictures without having to carry tons of DSLR stuff!

I only wish the 20/1,7 had OIS....... would make it easier to take pics in available light - which I enjoy!