The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 (Image Thread)

PeterB666

Some night shots with the Panasonic 20mm on a Olympus E-P1...

While it does take nice pics under most circumstances, flare is a bit of a problem with this lens...

The UFOs in the sky are a nice touch in that last one. The next shot shows the seven blade apeture in all its glory...

The double star point diffraction caused by the odd number blade aperture is rather neat. I have hear of this but as most of my lenses have 6 blade aptures or 12, had never seen the effect before. At least in that last shot, the lovely septagon is easy to remove from the black sky.

While I am overall quite pleased with the lens, it does dissapoint in the slow focus speed. It may not be noticable on the Panasonic cameras, but auto focus is around 0.1 second slower than the 14-42 Olympus zoom which itself is pretty slow and it takes almost twice as long to focus as the Panasonic 45-200 zoom. Doesn't make any sense.

Manual focus (which is what I normally use) is also slow at around 0.4s on the E-P1 compared to 0.3s or just a bit less for the 14-42 Olympus zoom.

The weather has been really crook lately so I haven't given the lens a decent workout during the day. I am hoping for next weekend to be fine.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:

jonoslack

I'm sorry Terry, Joan - my post was inappropriate and insensitive to you both
I should think so too - glad that's out! (It was putting me off my toast as I wended my weary way down through the thread)

... I was referring to a private e-mail exchange I'd had with Jono recently,
I didn't understand the inside joke implications either - but the conversation was about the advantage of using the panny 20 1.7 with the EP-1, because of the image stabilisation . . . .I guess the joke could have been something about IBIS sorting out my shakey hands Brian? :ROTFL:

Brian Mosley

Thanks Peter, I particularly like your first and third captures... very nice!

I use the 20mm f1.7 on my G1 also, and it's noticably slower to focus than the 14-45mm kit lens... different focusing motors, presumably to keep the lens compact.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Mosley

Jono, I was looking forward to your quadraped IBIS test! :deadhorse:

Don't mention the war! :rolleyes:

p.s. where's the 'Fun with PL 45mm f2.8' by Jono Slack? I want to know how it will do as a portrait lens! :bugeyes:

Cheers

Brian

Amin

I didn't understand the inside joke implications either...
I thought Brian was referring to some sort of sexual innuendo hidden in those trees, but I couldn't figure it out. Glad I was wrong - was beginning to think I lacked imagination :D.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This is a repost from another thread, but it was done with the 20/1.7. Image had some simple "secret sauce" processing done in CS to generate this look:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I will add some from the Oregon workshop here. Really like this little lens and FYI this is the first time I used the camera. Just received it that morning already setup from Terry ready to shoot. Most of these are wide open

20 second exposure will driving in the Land of the Giants

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think the next lens for me is the 7-14 and the new 45mm and sell the kit lens. Most of my shots are 14mm, 20mm and 45mm from what I have been shooting with it. I actually pressed this into service yesterday on a job along with my MF images.

Amin

Guy, the landscape photograph with the rocks is beautiful. Love the light and muted colors. The first one with the leaves, the first grapes, and the photo of Jack are also :thumbs:.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
20 second exposure will driving in the Land of the Giants
Wow, that turned out kind of neat! Folks, it was o-dark:30, raining and there was zero light other than my headlights and a slight bit of pre-dawn seeping through the thick fog and rain. Guy mounted his Gorilla pod to my dashboard and began clicking away and videoing with his new GF1. (Yes, he does stuff like that all the time on road trips. :rolleyes:) The yellow in the middle is the centerline road stripe; on the side, the edge warning reflector posts.

Terry

Karl- the church shot is quite lovely.

Guy-you long exposure needs to be crossposted on the Photographing your bokeh thread

Jack-must get my computers all hooked back up and try and create some secret sauce recipes. That one is REALLY good...I have way more space in my new pad but don't yet like where my desk is so I haven't set up all my tech :(

Amin- welcome back...