The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 (Image Thread)

Leica 77

As Dan recently said in the Bokeh Thread, "Halloween has come and gone!". ... at least until next year ... GF1 + Lumix 20mm f/1.7. :)

biglouis

Ocean, Leica 77 and Dan - very hard to fault the photographs from this wonderful lens.

Ocean, lovely light in that shot of the woman in period constume - and Leica 77 very dramatic Halloween shot.

I keep thinking I have a Leica cron lens for a fraction of the price.

LouisB

m3photo

Wonderful 20mm f/1.7

Ocean, Leica 77 and Dan - very hard to fault the photographs from this wonderful lens.

I keep thinking I have a Leica cron lens for a fraction of the price.
I had been putting off buying any more lenses for the G1 which came with an excellent kit lens already, mainly because I could use my Nikkors with the corresponding adapter. I was in England a short while back for a few days and decided to buy the 20mm as a walkabout lens/stuff the combo in my pocket idea.
I urge everyone to stop what they're doing right now and rush out to purchase this little wonder!:D
I can honestly say I agree about biglouis' 'cron comparison; it's even usable at f/1.7!

Big Sister

G1+20mm f/1.7 - 1/160 at f/2.8 ISO100

Eye Wheel

G1+20mm f/1.7 - 1/2500 at f/2.8 ISO100

Upriver

G1+20mm f/1.7 - 1/400 at f/5.6 ISO100 - Adjusted in ACR for HDR

seakayaker

Northern Fur Seal ~ New England Aquarium

DMC-GF1 - LUMIX G 20/F1.7 - ISO 100 - f/1.7 - 1/320

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Leica 77

Hi Louis, Michael, Brian, Kevin, and Dan,
Wonderful comments and contributions honoring the compact Lumix 20mm lens. It is an amazing little gem for sure. The more I use it, the more I love the lens! It seems to grow on me like the crons that I treasure. Best, :)

biglouis

Re: Wonderful 20mm f/1.7

I had been putting off buying any more lenses for the G1 which came with an excellent kit lens already, mainly because I could use my Nikkors with the corresponding adapter. I was in England a short while back for a few days and decided to buy the 20mm as a walkabout lens/stuff the combo in my pocket idea.
I urge everyone to stop what they're doing right now and rush out to purchase this little wonder!:D
I can honestly say I agree about biglouis' 'cron comparison; it's even usable at f/1.7!

Big Sister

G1+20mm f/1.7 - 1/160 at f/2.8 ISO100

Eye Wheel

G1+20mm f/1.7 - 1/2500 at f/2.8 ISO100

Upriver

G1+20mm f/1.7 - 1/400 at f/5.6 ISO100 - Adjusted in ACR for HDR
Great photos and another very good exposition of the lens along with the marvellous portraits by Peter Arbib.

(BTW, I used to have an office in the art deco building seen through the windows of the bus on the right!).

If your wallet can afford it and you don't already have it, then the PanaLeica 45/2.8 turns any m4/3rds with the 20/1.7 into a fantastic two-lens kit!

LouisB

m3photo

Thank you Louis. The 45mm end of the kit lens is slightly too short and dark (f/5.6) for me, so I've been using the Nokton thus far. The one you mention does have the advantage of autofocus though. Hmm ...

biglouis

Thank you Louis. The 45mm end of the kit lens is slightly too short and dark (f/5.6) for me, so I've been using the Nokton thus far. The one you mention does have the advantage of autofocus though. Hmm ...
I don't know why but the Nokton is particularly good on the GF-1. I would use it more were it not for owning the 45/2.8. But as you say, it does have the advantage of the extra stops.

LouisB

Jerry_R

It's interesting, my feeling is that 45/2.8 gives nicer, warmer color when photographing people with 20/1.7 in the same light conditions.

biglouis

It's interesting, my feeling is that 45/2.8 gives nicer, warmer color when photographing people with 20/1.7 in the same light conditions.
The so-called 'Leica glow'? Not sure I have the evidence to agree but it is a fantastic lens. In fact, they are both fantastic lenses!