Site Sponsors
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

panamamike

Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

I've been reading the thread, pretty cool stuff.
    Wanted to know if there is any chance an adapter can be made for the other Contax g lenses. Notably the 28mm Biogon.

I saw the thread in which someone adapted the lens by cutting off the legs. It worked but results where poor. My guess is those legs are there for a reason. Maybe focal length to the sensor?

I've never handled a Contax G cam, so I wonder how the lens originally fit on that cam.

Let me know if my thinking is wrong.

Mike

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The 'legs' are rear element guards since the glass is exposed.

The 21 and 28 lenses are not great performers in the corners as the light hits the sensor at too oblique an angle for a digital sensor.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by panamamike View Post
    I've been reading the thread, pretty cool stuff.
    Wanted to know if there is any chance an adapter can be made for the other Contax g lenses. Notably the 28mm Biogon.

I saw the thread in which someone adapted the lens by cutting off the legs. It worked but results where poor. My guess is those legs are there for a reason. Maybe focal length to the sensor?

I've never handled a Contax G cam, so I wonder how the lens originally fit on that cam.

Let me know if my thinking is wrong.

Mike
    I thought that the "legs" were simply for protection of the extended rear element, but if there is another function I don't know what it is. Perhaps Robert or someone else would know. In any event, I cut off the "legs" from my 28 Biogon yesterday and have not experienced any adverse effects in use on my m43 cameras. There is some corner softness with my copy, but not as severe as I exepected. If you need perfectly sharp edge to edge performance on m43 then the 35 and 45 are much better options. Here are a few shots I took this morning with the 28 biogon on my G1-IR.

A "bokeh" shot at f/2.8

Garden at f/5.6

Rock garden at f/8

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

The Contax G has a focal plane shutter which operates right in front of the film, and everything in between is basically empty space (no mirror since it's a rangefinder). I think only the G1 green label and the G2 cameras were able to fit these wider lenses. So they fit by simply sticking them into the empty hole, and the legs at the back of the lens went almost to the shutter.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    In any event, I cut off the "legs" from my 28 Biogon yesterday and have not experienced any adverse effects in use on my m43 cameras. There is some corner softness with my copy, but not as severe as I exepected.
    Nice photos! You wouldn't see a lot of adverse effects of poor edge performance on lenses when mounted on the m4/3 camera because the m4/3 sensor crops the image, so it only sees the center of the image the lens produces. I suspect if you somehow put this lens on a FF sensor you'd see some adverse effects.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

panamamike

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The 'legs' are rear element guards since the glass is exposed.

The 21 and 28 lenses are not great performers in the corners as the light hits the sensor at too oblique an angle for a digital sensor.
    Is this something that only occurs at the corners? I've seen some C-mount lenses that vignette instead of blur...

Which lens would you recommend in the 25-28 mm range? Or are they all going to share the same problem?

Mike

panamamike

I thought that the "legs" were simply for protection of the extended rear element, but if there is another function I don't know what it is. Perhaps Robert or someone else would know. In any event, I cut off the "legs" from my 28 Biogon yesterday and have not experienced any adverse effects in use on my m43 cameras. There is some corner softness with my copy, but not as severe as I exepected. If you need perfectly sharp edge to edge performance on m43 then the 35 and 45 are much better options. Here are a few shots I took this morning with the 28 biogon on my G1-IR.
    A "bokeh" shot at f/2.8
    Garden at f/5.6
    Rock garden at f/8
    The photos are fantastic! the "bokeh" makes the blur at edges insignificant. I'm still wondering if there might be a better choice at 25 - 28mm lens. I'm looking for a fast lens for low light indoor.

Also, if possible I'd like to avoid modifying the original lens, part of why I asked my original question.

Mike

panamamike

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    Nice photos! You wouldn't see a lot of adverse effects of poor edge performance on lenses when mounted on the m4/3 camera because the m4/3 sensor crops the image, so it only sees the center of the image the lens produces.
    How do these lenses perform in 16x9 mode?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

The photos are fantastic! the "bokeh" makes the blur at edges insignificant. I'm still wondering if there might be a better choice at 25 - 28mm lens. I'm looking for a fast lens for low light indoor.
    Do you need something specifically in that focal length? There's nothing wrong with using the Pana 20/1.7 for your purposes, and it's cheaper than any of the Zeiss/Contax G lenses, it can do AF, and has just as good sharpness.

Also, if possible I'd like to avoid modifying the original lens, part of why I asked my original question.
    No, unfortunately, I believe the legs stick into the m4/3 cavity too deep, and they'll either hit the sides of the sensor well, or they'll be in the way of the shutter curtain.

How do these lenses perform in 16x9 mode?
    Should be no difference. 16x9 mode crops the top/bottom of the sensor output, so you're using less than the full sensor. By that same token, you can use a 25mm C-mount (designed for a 1" sensor) in 16x9 and reduce whatever slight vignetting you may normally see.
    -Dragos

panamamike

Do you need something specifically in that focal length? There's nothing wrong with using the Pana 20/1.7 for your purposes, and it's cheaper than any of the Zeiss/Contax G lenses, it can do AF, and has just as good sharpness.
    I thought the Contax G lenses would provide better performance than the Pana 20/1.7. I wanted a good low light lens to compliment the 14-140mm on the GH1. I've seen examples where the 14-140 doesn't do well in low light.

I've also read some things related to 50mm being good for WYSIWYG photography. Since the FL of a lens is 2x on a m43 I figured I need to find a 25mm to get that effect. Also figured the super fast lenses may be better than the 20/1.7.

OT: So far I've picked up the 45mm, in transit. I also need to figure which adapter will work best. That's how I found this thread. Monza's adapter looks really nice. Anyone have experience with it yet?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Contax G lenses would provide better performance than the Pana 20/1.7. I wanted a good low light lens to compliment the 14-140mm on the GH1. I've seen examples where the 14-140 doesn't do well in low light.
    Take a look at the many photos posted with both lenses on this forum and decide for yourself if the added expense of the Contax G lenses produces better images than the 20/1.7 lens, which is smaller and comes with AF.

Don't make the mistake of equating the cost of a lens with it's performance. I've seen a number of expensive lenses that don't produce what I consider pleasing images, and I've seen some really cheap lenses (look at Ron Evers' posts) that produce very nice images. There are many reasons for the price on lenses, not the least of which is rarity.

The 14-140 is indeed NOT a low-light lens. It's painfully slow, but a great all-around daytime lens.

I've also read some things related to 50mm being good for WYSIWYG photography. Since the FL of a lens is 2x on a m43 I figured I need to find a 25mm to get that effect. Also figured the super fast lenses may be better than the 20/1.7.
    You're talking about the 'normal' aspect of 50mm lenses. That's a hotly debated topic across many forums, and there's no clear outcome from any of those discussions. Some people claim that the 'normal' part of the 50mm lens comes from emulating the same sense of perspective as the human eye, in which case you'll want an actual 50mm lens to maintain that perspective (that's my opinion as well, FWIW; when I look through the EVF on my GH1 with a 50 lens, and the other eye open, I see the exact same scene). Others claim it's the FOV of the 50mm lens that produces that 'normal' aspect, in which case you'd want something around 25mm.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about any of that too much. Cameras and lenses are just tools, so get the right tool for the types of photos you want to take. I can tell you that you'll be better off in terms of taking good photos if you stick a single lens on your camera for an entire month and just take photos. You'll learn to live with the fixed focal length of your lens, and you'll naturally compose photos that fit that focal length.
    -Dragos

panamamike

Don't make the mistake of equating the cost of a lens with it's performance. I've seen a number of expensive lenses that don't produce what I consider pleasing images, and I've seen some really cheap lenses
    Actually I'm not, I was looking at the Contax G because it's relatively cheap compared to the Leica glass. I've seen some of the G photos and I'm pretty impressed.

The 14-140 is indeed NOT a low-light lens. It's painfully slow, but a great all-around daytime lens.
    That's the conclusion I've come to...
    You're talking about the 'normal' aspect of 50mm lenses. That's a hotly debated topic across many forums, and there's no clear outcome from any of those discussions. Some people claim that the 'normal' part of the 50mm lens comes from emulating the same sense of perspective as the human eye, in which case you'll want an actual 50mm lens to maintain that perspective (that's my opinion as well, FWIW; when I look through the EVF on my GH1 with a 50 lens, and the other eye open, I see the exact same scene). Others claim it's the FOV of the 50mm lens that produces that 'normal' aspect, in which case you'd want something around 25mm.
    all-around daytime lens.
    Didn't know the What you see vs. FOV argument, good to know...

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about any of that too much. Cameras and lenses are just tools, so get the right tool for the types of photos you want to take. I can tell you that you'll be better off in terms of taking good photos if you stick a single lens on your camera for an entire month and just take photos. You'll learn to live with the fixed focal length of your lens, and you'll naturally compose photos that fit that focal length.
    You're probably right, I was pretty excited by the prospect of getting some really high quality images. Dynamic color range as well as tack sharpness from my POV. I was relying on what people where saying about the lens and some full crops I've seen.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPWarner View Post
    Monza,

That is one of the most beautiful photos in the whole thread! Well, ok, I am biased as I think I see my adapter in there...
    Nope! That one's mine.....
    http://hodad66.com Sony A7r,A7II, Sony 70-300G, Rokinon 14/2.8, Leitz Wetzler 35/3.5, Leica R Summicron 50/2 & Elmarit 90mm/2.8, Contax N 24-85 & 70--200mm AND Canon FD 20/2.8, 135/2, 500mm 4.5, Minolta 35/1.8, 45mm/2, Nikon 28-50/3.5, 105/1.8, 180/2.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a few shots I took this morning with the 28 biogon on my G1-IR.

Garden at f/5.6

Hi Carl,
    Great shot! Pretty sharp from corner to corner! All the best. Leica 77.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    Hi Carl,
    Great shot! Pretty sharp from corner to corner! All the best. Leica 77.
    Thanks Leica77. As I mentioned, the corners are a little soft, but not to the point where it renders the images unusable. If you want to pixel peep the full size image here is the link
    Carl
    Gallery

panamamike

Take a look at the many photos posted with both lenses on this forum and decide for yourself if the added expense of the Contax G lenses produces better images than the 20/1.7 lens, which is smaller and comes with AF.
    It's hard to evaluate photos taken under different conditions for these two lenses. It's would be very interesting to see a head to head comparison of the Planar 45 and Panny 20. Then again, the two lenses aren't really comparable due to focal lengths.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to evaluate photos taken under different conditions for these two lenses. It's would be very interesting to see a head to head comparison of the Planar 45 and Panny 20. Then again, the two lenses aren't really comparable due to focal lengths.

Mike
    You can certainly compare IQ for different lenses regardless of their different focal lengths. Images taken in different conditions are fine for that evaluation. You said you were interested in getting lenses with dynamic range (that's more a sensor issue than a lens issue - you can look for contrast in lenses) and tack sharpness, and for that you don't need charts, graphs, and/or pixel-peeped carefully set up experiments (unless you're buying lenses in order to take photos of optical targets).

If you've looked at images taken with the 20/1.7 (or other lenses) in other threads and images taken with the Contax G lenses in this thread and haven't seen any significant difference, I would argue that proves my point that they're all excellent pieces of optics.

In the end, as I said before, buy whatever makes you happy and don't worry about it too much. You can't go wrong with either of these choices. These lenses hold their value pretty well, and sometimes we forget that and end up agonizing over non-decisions needlessly.

I don't want to continue hijacking this thread, so I'll stop here. Please PM me if you'd like to continue this conversation privately.

Cheers!
    -Dragos

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I put together a quick video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dPAwHxW0MQ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

. . . . . good news!

Just received via email, "Your package from R***** J******* is on its way. You can track it online using this tracking number."

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

ludovico

same things here, can't wait nomore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Kipon adapter is finally arriving too : the postman came this morning while I was at work and left the notice that I had a parcel from Hongkong waiting me at the postoffice. Alas, with my long commuting times, I won't be able to pick it up before Saturday morning.

Meanwhile, I've looked at my Contax G lenses and had a bad surprise : they have got a turquoise green dust/grease on the mount. I wonder what that is ? the glass looks still cristall clear, so I don't think that I've got fungus ? or have I ? Could it be that some lubricant spilled out of the metallic parts ? could it be oxydation ? rust ? I've put some new batteries in the Contax G camera and Ive tried to take some shots.. and it worked, the lense was able to focuse, but the aperture ring seems harder to operate than in my memory.. So I'm quite worried about what this turquoise greasy dust could be. Any idea ? I've made a search on the net concerning lense fungus and from the pictures I viewed, there is nothing similar on my lenses.. Now that I've finally found a way to use them again, I hope that they are still working ?-(

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That green stuff is common on Contax G lens mounts. It just wipes off, doesn't cause any harm. Almost every G1 and G2 and lens I've ever seen has some of it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That green stuff is common on Contax G lens mounts. It just wipes off, doesn't cause any harm. Almost every G1 and G2 and lens I've ever seen has some of it...
    This is a reassuring answer, many thanks. I didn't have it on the body (at least untill I tried to attach a lense to the body. The last lense I've bought (the 21mm) doesn't have any traces of it. The 28mm (one of my most used lense) was the worst.

I've wiped that as well as I could, but there are still traces of it spots more difficult to reach. Does that mean that my lenses need some lubricant ? I'm reassured about the situation, but still somewhat uncomfortable with this..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

No, they need nothing. Just clean it off as best you can.

"Something is wrong with the metallurgy of the lens' mounts. Often I've seen green crud or a green mist which looks like oxidized copper on the lens mount. No big deal, since it wipes right off, but something isn't quite right with the choice of materials."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/contax/g-system.htm#lenses

panamamike

"Something is wrong with the metallurgy of the lens' mounts. Often I've seen green crud or a green mist which looks like oxidized copper on the lens mount. No big deal, since it wipes right off, but something isn't quite right with the choice of materials."

When can we expect the first end user Monza adapter review?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few days after I receive my copy unless someone reviews their adapter and lens earlier. I am still waiting impatiently.

Howard

panamamike

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    A few days after I receive my copy unless someone reviews their adapter and lens earlier. I am still waiting impatiently.

Howard
    Have any been sent out yet? I thought Monza was working on batch #2?

Mike

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A bunch have been shipped but fewer were received in the first batch then planned, more units are arriving to fill those orders, then batch 2.

More info on the blog:

http://contaxgm43.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Many thanks for the informative link and answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered the adapter from monza. Now waiting on my 45 and 90 lenses (my G2 as well) and my E-P2. All ordered within the past week....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First impression with the Kipon adapter

I've finally been able to pick up the Kipon adapter. I got it from Roxsen and while the transactions and mail exchanges with the seller have been agreable, the shipping has lasted very long. In particular, the seller wrote me that the item was shipped on the 22th of March, but the tracking number he gave me later says it was mailed on the 8th of Aprile. The seller thinks that part of the delay was due to the 3-4 days the planes were grounded in Europe due to the Icelandic Vulcano ashes. Well all in all, I ordered and paid for it on the 20th of March and the postman noticed me of its arrival on the 4th of May; so counting from the 22th of March, the mailing and shipping lasted 44 days.
    The sender mailed it as a "gift", so there was no VAT to pay; between the 7.6 % VAT and paushal 15.- SFr taken by the shipping company if the VAT is perceived, this avoided me a 17.5% increase of the price. Very nice from Roxsen.

This is the adapter I got : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    The seller says it is a new one with a bigger wheel. I can't tell whether it is much different from the former one, it is the only one I have, but here are my first impression :

1) The adapter can be mounted and dismounted very smoothly. I won't be worried to change often between my two lenses (the 90mm and the 45mm). I wonder whether those who complained about that weren't just unaware of the way you mount and dismount Contax G lenses : you have to seize it with the second rigged ring beneath the aperture ring, not any other part of the lense, especially neitehr with the black part, nor with the other metal ring nearer of the camera body.

2) The adapter itself is two or three milimeters wider than both the lense mount or the camera mount, probably in order to contain the gear mecanism (?), anyway, that put the focusing wheel in a better position for focusing, because it is nearer of your thumb.
    3) Also, the focusing little wheel stands at about half a centimer from the body, which makes it easier to handle.
    4) You don't need to turn the wheel a lot in order to go from near focus to infinite. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending upon the precision you want. I think that I prefer it that way, because of 5)
    5) As has been said of most Contax G adapter : the focusing wheel is not too smooth to handle, but it is bearable. It is almost smooth when moving from near focus to farther focus, but when you are at the furtherst distance there is a rough point to overcome if you want to come back nearer.
    6) Since I have M lenses too, after trying the 90mm and 45mm I put the Leica lense on in order to make comparison... and wow.. it is way easier to focuse with the smooth ring of the Leica lenses. First you can adjust set the distance approximately on the ring and then only retouch your focus manually. That isn't possible on the Zeiss lenses, which makes manual focusing quite slower.. but wow.. I liked those Zeiss lenses and I'm happy to be able to use them again.

I'm gratefull to this list for providing welcomed information concerning these adapters.

That said, Kipon is now selling a new ring adapter for the Contax lenses.. Given the slow shipping coming from Hongkong, I guess that it will last for a while before we can get some impression concerning these new adapters..

When I get the time, I'll try to post some pictures, but right now, I'm on a deadline at work and lacking time..

dazedproductions

Anna, which lens were you testing it with? I find that the kippon (and I believe I have the same as you) works ok on the 35mm but on the 90mm the wheel is too small to get enough purchase to adjust smoothly. I also needed to spray a bunch of wd40 into mine to get it to turn sorta-freely. Putting lenses on and off is very easy though thanks to the sprung drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dazedproductions View Post
    Anna, which lens were you testing it with? I find that the kippon (and I believe I have the same as you) works ok on the 35mm but on the 90mm the wheel is too small to get enough purchase to adjust smoothly. I also needed to spray a bunch of wd40 into mine to get it to turn sorta-freely. Putting lenses on and off is very easy though thanks to the sprung drive.
    I have only two lenses : the 45mm and the 90mm. The 90mm seems to work smoother than the 45mm. But the 45mm is also somewhat hard on the Contax body.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A bunch have been shipped but fewer were received in the first batch then planned, more units are arriving to fill those orders, then batch 2.

More info on the blog:

http://contaxgm43.wordpress.com/
    Robert,

Adapter arrived in beautiful condition...thanks.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Received the adaptor from Monza yesterday. No problem with placing the 45mm or 90mm lenses in the adaptor. The focus wheel does feel stiff at this point, but I will have to give it some time to see if it becomes a little more smooth when focusing. Went out and did a few test shots.

. . . . . a couple of shots from Legacy lens . . . . .

Carl Zeiss Contax G 45mm f/2

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G 45mm f/2 -- ISO 100 - f/2 -- 1/2500 -- 45mm

Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5

GF1 with Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 -- ISO 100 -- f/2 -- 1/1300 -- 50mm

JPEG straight from camera, reduces in size in photoshop, shot hand held.

Will post a few later when time permits.

Life is Grand!

~

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of IRIS shots from this afternoon with the GF1 & Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f/2.

Iris

GF1 with Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f/2 -- ISO 400 -- f/4 -- 1/320 -- 45mm

Iris

GF1 with Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f/2 -- ISO 400 -- f/4 -- 1/500 -- 45mm

Downloaded photos from camera to aperature, ran Dfine on JPEG which created a .tiff file. Opened the .tiff file in Photoshop the resized and saved as jpeg to upload to flickr.

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

schakal.

Hi, ordered monzas adapter at weekend...

Monza one question, do you know how long it will take to get the adaprer to austria?
    Did i get one from batch 2 ???

Thx!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just received the adapter.

Tried it with the 35mm G. Focus is quite stiff. Not sure if it is the lens, or adapter. Will try the 45mm G next.

Martin

panamamike

Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
    Just received the adapter.

Tried it with the 35mm G. Focus is quite stiff. Not sure if it is the lens, or adapter. Will try the 45mm G next.

Martin
    Please let us know what you think, did you happen to have experience with any of the other adapters?

As far as stiffness, is it a big problem, or just an annoyance?

How easy is it to get good focus?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted, and re-mounted the lens several times. The focus was still stiff, and more important, seemed to slip at times. Now, the lens hasn't been used in several years (5+), so the lens itself might be the cause.

I will try another lens in the next few days, and see if this problem persists.

Also, I don't know how much resistance to focus the actual lens internal helicoid represents. That is, I don't know how much resistance is due to the actual motion of the internal focussing element(s). In the original G2 mounted state, the focus was driven electrically by the body, so I have no idea how much torque was necessary to focus the lens.

I wish this lens had a regular focussing ring!!!

I will try the 45mm G next.

I will keep you posted, and I would like to hear from other adapter users about their experiences.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

on both of my lenses (45 - 90) the focus is jumpy. The
    adapter doesn't matter although both handle it differently.
    For static subjects it's simply an annoyance. Moving
    subjects simply won't be captured correctly without luck.
    http://hodad66.com Sony A7r,A7II, Sony 70-300G, Rokinon 14/2.8, Leitz Wetzler 35/3.5, Leica R Summicron 50/2 & Elmarit 90mm/2.8, Contax N 24-85 & 70--200mm AND Canon FD 20/2.8, 135/2, 500mm 4.5, Minolta 35/1.8, 45mm/2, Nikon 28-50/3.5, 105/1.8, 180/2.8

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted, and re-mounted the lens several times. The focus was still stiff, and more important, seemed to slip at times. Now, the lens hasn't been used in several years (5+), so the lens itself might be the cause.

I will try another lens in the next few days, and see if this problem persists.

Also, I don't know how much resistance to focus the actual lens internal helicoid represents. That is, I don't know how much resistance is due to the actual motion of the internal focussing element(s). In the original G2 mounted state, the focus was driven electrically by the body, so I have no idea how much torque was necessary to focus the lens.

I wish this lens had a regular focussing ring!!!

I will try the 45mm G next.

I will keep you posted, and I would like to hear from other adapter users about their experiences.

Martin
    Martin, Does your 35 have a loose fit in the adapter? I've also been having some problems using the 35 on Robert's adapter. First, my 35 has a very loose fit when mounted to the adapter and it appears that this is causing movement off axis when rotating the focus wheel. The result is rough focusing with skipping and occasional binding. My 45 and particularly my 90 have better fits (still loose, but not quite as loose as the 35) and they give a better focusing performance with this adapter. I should note that my 35 does focus smoothly with the Kipon adapter and it also fits tightly in the adapter. Negatives with the Kipon are the small focusing wheel and greater difficulty mounting and un-mounting lenses from the adapter. Lenses mount and un-mount very smoothly with Robert's adapter.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

The lens fits tightly to the adapter. As a matter of fact, the removal of the lens from the adapter was initially difficult until I pressed the external screw head on the adapter in the correct direction.

I followed the video instructions, and rotated the focus wheel, and aligned the focus screw head with the lens before rotating the lens fully on the adapter to lock it in place.

Again, I will try a different lens before making any conclusions.

Again, too bad that Zeiss/Kyocera never put a focussing ring on this series of lenses. I guess they never thought of using these lenses on any other camera body.

Martin

dazedproductions

Martin
    I hate to point out the obvious but its easy to check how much torque is required to focus by turning the focus drive with a screwdriver. Just remember that the monza adaptor is going to need more torque as it has a step up gearbox. Of mine, the 35 spins very easily with a screwdriver but the 90 is stiffer. Still waiting on my monza adapter, will report back when it arrives

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Martin, I sent you a PM.

schakal., should be about 6-10 days according to USPS.

richie15

I have found this on another forum.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...ml/06.jpg.html

For those with Contax G lenses, or contemplating getting some, he's an adapter that may be of interest, as it has a full focussing ring rather than the wheel on most adapters (scroll down about halfway):

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/r...12_366184.html

Also, these look like they accommodate the 28mm with its deep element (scroll to bottom):

http://contax2.hp.infoseek.co.jp/mic...le0-GtoMFT.htm

This translates in google translator to this

Body: Pen Olympus E-P1 (White)
    Lens: Carl Zeiss Biogon T * 28mm F2.8 G
    Mount Adapter: CoYo Contax G Mount Adapter
    Strap: Artisan & Artist ACAM-280 (Gray)
    Bonded leather kit: Aki-Asahi E-P1 kit for leather color paste (Aiboririzado)
    Damages resulting from reading this article made ※ The editorial Watch digital camera, and Sawamura Tetsu manufacturer, purchased a shop in this document. The digital camera and Sawamura Tetsu Watch editors are questions to answer individual inquiries about the article can not be.
    Ever since the introduction of Micro, resurrected in several heavy-handed digital lens. Among them, the resurrection of Contax G lenses can say even shocking. The AF Contax G rangefinder is a unique school model. Controls for focusing on the body, not the lens focus ring. Micro 29mm flange while longer, and the focus adjustment mechanism in the adapter 組Mi込Manaku should. Therefore, the product of truly believed I was not difficult.

Which is G Biogon T * F2.8 28mm, L Leica M mount was modified to use a popular type. With the advent of this adapter, the modification can be used without G Biogon T * 28mm. This is a great advantage. Cutting from the open well, striking bright color and high contrast. Enjoy the taste and wide-angle lens blur, however, that the price of 20,000 yen is a bargain price used. Lightroom is a RAW examples are taken to develop straight.

Hall has been sold CoYo Contax cameras made in heaven G adapter, it's not possible products. This adapter has two prominent features. One is that it first rotary. Early Adapter Contax G dial was adopted. There is a small dial on the side adapter to adjust the lens focus gear Turn it. Necessary and sufficient features, however, once you want to move from near infinity, a small dial shuffle slowly. The adapter is rotated rotary outer ring as the focus has been a significant improvement in usability. Helicoid is not smooth enough, but much smoother compared with the focus dial. Champagne and gold tone color scheme also has good compatibility with the lens is.

The second is "G Biogon T * 28mm F2.8" but are ready. Traditional products, Contax G lens 35mm, 45mm, 90mm was the only response. System wide-angle lens so that the ball protrudes guard after it failed to install. Some users cut Biogon 28mm F2.8 lens guards had forcibly attached to the middle. This is the world experienced a high threshold, even layer.

This adapter that point, and only Olympus Micro Machine Biogon T * 28mm F2.8 G can be attached on the unmodified. Because the design is somewhat thin, fit well to focus at infinity to close problems. However, there is a restriction that with the lens attached to the body from the adapter to be sure. Because it appeared to be familiar with the detachable camera paradise hall website, you will be safe and have a look at the time of purchase.

CoYo latest adapter made have been obtained prior to spread quickly. Combined with Olympus 28mm Biogon body has allowed only to wear.
    ★ CoYo latest adapter \ 24,800 -
    Panasonic compatible ◇ P35mm, P45mm, S90mm
    Olympus support ◇ B28mm, P35mm, P45mm, S90mm
    *** *** For details please as soon as possible ◆ little stock, click here

panamamike

Quote Originally Posted by richie15 View Post
    I have found this on another forum.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...ml/06.jpg.html

For those with Contax G lenses, or contemplating getting some, he's an adapter that may be of interest, as it has a full focussing ring rather than the wheel on most adapters (scroll down about halfway):

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/r...12_366184.html

Also, these look like they accommodate the 28mm with its deep element (scroll to bottom):

http://contax2.hp.infoseek.co.jp/mic...le0-GtoMFT.htm

This translates in google translator to this

Body: Pen Olympus E-P1 (White)
    Lens: Carl Zeiss Biogon T * 28mm F2.8 G
    Mount Adapter: CoYo Contax G Mount Adapter
    Strap: Artisan & Artist ACAM-280 (Gray)
    Bonded leather kit: Aki-Asahi E-P1 kit for leather color paste (Aiboririzado)
    Damages resulting from reading this article made ※ The editorial Watch digital camera, and Sawamura Tetsu manufacturer, purchased a shop in this document. The digital camera and Sawamura Tetsu Watch editors are questions to answer individual inquiries about the article can not be.
    Ever since the introduction of Micro, resurrected in several heavy-handed digital lens. Among them, the resurrection of Contax G lenses can say even shocking. The AF Contax G rangefinder is a unique school model. Controls for focusing on the body, not the lens focus ring. Micro 29mm flange while longer, and the focus adjustment mechanism in the adapter 組Mi込Manaku should. Therefore, the product of truly believed I was not difficult.

Which is G Biogon T * F2.8 28mm, L Leica M mount was modified to use a popular type. With the advent of this adapter, the modification can be used without G Biogon T * 28mm. This is a great advantage. Cutting from the open well, striking bright color and high contrast. Enjoy the taste and wide-angle lens blur, however, that the price of 20,000 yen is a bargain price used. Lightroom is a RAW examples are taken to develop straight.

Hall has been sold CoYo Contax cameras made in heaven G adapter, it's not possible products. This adapter has two prominent features. One is that it first rotary. Early Adapter Contax G dial was adopted. There is a small dial on the side adapter to adjust the lens focus gear Turn it. Necessary and sufficient features, however, once you want to move from near infinity, a small dial shuffle slowly. The adapter is rotated rotary outer ring as the focus has been a significant improvement in usability. Helicoid is not smooth enough, but much smoother compared with the focus dial. Champagne and gold tone color scheme also has good compatibility with the lens is.

The second is "G Biogon T * 28mm F2.8" but are ready. Traditional products, Contax G lens 35mm, 45mm, 90mm was the only response. System wide-angle lens so that the ball protrudes guard after it failed to install. Some users cut Biogon 28mm F2.8 lens guards had forcibly attached to the middle. This is the world experienced a high threshold, even layer.

This adapter that point, and only Olympus Micro Machine Biogon T * 28mm F2.8 G can be attached on the unmodified. Because the design is somewhat thin, fit well to focus at infinity to close problems. However, there is a restriction that with the lens attached to the body from the adapter to be sure. Because it appeared to be familiar with the detachable camera paradise hall website, you will be safe and have a look at the time of purchase.

CoYo latest adapter made have been obtained prior to spread quickly. Combined with Olympus 28mm Biogon body has allowed only to wear.
    ★ CoYo latest adapter \ 24,800 -
    Panasonic compatible ◇ P35mm, P45mm, S90mm
    Olympus support ◇ B28mm, P35mm, P45mm, S90mm
    *** *** For details please as soon as possible ◆ little stock, click here
    That's a bit odd. That looks a lot like the adapters sold on Ebay that specifically say you need to mod the lens for it to mount.

Mike

dbloewen

Here is an interesting adopter for the Contax G90 to nikon mount. There's no description and the sellers blog shows the same photo. The focus ring looks quite large, but I can't make out where the part that hold the focus mechanism on the lens itself is. (Maybe its just an artistic rendition of an adapter??) If this is an actual adaptation it should work on a nikon to m43 adapter

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CONTAX-G90-SONNAR...#ht_508wt_1167

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Went out this evening with the GF1/adaptor and the Zeiss Contax 45/2.

The Rose

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G 45mm f/2 -- ISO 100 -- f/2 -- 1/640 -- 45mm

Seattle Skyline

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G 45mm f/2 -- ISO 100 -- f/2 -- 1/640 -- 45mm

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

skywalker