Site Sponsors
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by dbloewen View Post
    Here is an interesting adopter for the Contax G90 to nikon mount. There's no description and the sellers blog shows the same photo. The focus ring looks quite large, but I can't make out where the part that hold the focus mechanism on the lens itself is. (Maybe its just an artistic rendition of an adapter??) If this is an actual adaptation it should work on a nikon to m43 adapter

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CONTAX-G90-SONNAR...#ht_508wt_1167
    Thanks for the link. The lense seems to have been modified : the part going from the aperture ring to the body looks shorter. I followed the Flickr link and found pictures taken with a Canon 5D + the 90mm Sonnar.

richie15

Monza how are you looking for the 2nd shipping date being the 15th?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the adapter bodies and am awating the gear shipment. Since it's now Thursday, I don't believe the 15th will be realistic since that's a Saturday. I'm also making a minor update and may implement that change in the 2nd batch (and update all those in the first.) This improvement might take a 3-4 more days.

dbloewen

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Thanks for the link. The lense seems to have been modified : the part going from the aperture ring to the body looks shorter. I followed the Flickr link and found pictures taken with a Canon 5D + the 90mm Sonnar.
    There is something weird about the lens because the lens barrel does not seem show two kernelled rings like a normal Contax G90 Sonnar (at least from pictures I have seen of it). The front of the lens does seem to have normal markings. I only have the 45 f2 and there are defiantly two kernelled rings. I sent an email to the seller to determine if this is a modified lens or lens plus adapter. Waiting for a reply.

Dave

richie15

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I've got the adapter bodies and am awating the gear shipment. Since it's now Thursday, I don't believe the 15th will be realistic since that's a Saturday. I'm also making a minor update and may implement that change in the 2nd batch (and update all those in the first.) This improvement might take a 3-4 more days.
    Thanks, what are you looking to change?

dbloewen

There is something weird about the lens because the lens barrel does not seem show two kernelled rings like a normal Contax G90 Sonnar (at least from pictures I have seen of it). The front of the lens does seem to have normal markings. I only have the 45 f2 and there are defiantly two kernelled rings. I sent an email to the seller to determine if this is a modified lens or lens plus adapter. Waiting for a reply.

Dave
    Annna T
    The reply I got from the seller hawks_factory of Taiwan is "It's modified lens and make helicoid fit with lens". I don't know exactly what this means but that was all they said.

Dave
    Last edited by dbloewen; 13th May 2010 at 22:48.

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Annna T
    The reply I got from the seller hawks_factory of Taiwan is "It's modified lens and make helicoid fit with lens". I don't know exactly what this means but that was all they said.

Dave
    For USD 450 you get a Sonnar G 90/2.8 with a focusing ring and a Nikon mount. He has replaced the screw-driven Contax G focusing mechanism with a helicoid and exchanged the Contax G mount for a Nikon F mount. In the description he says:
    Focusing : 0.52m ~ infinity
    Auction does not include camera, sell lens only.
    If I were a Nikon shooter, I'd probably go for a Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 90/3.5 instead. Or spend an extra USD 100 on the series II version with a CPU metering chip.

dbloewen

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    For USD 450 you get a Sonnar G 90/2.8 with a focusing ring and a Nikon mount. He has replaced the screw-driven Contax G focusing mechanism with a helicoid and exchanged the Contax G mount for a Nikon F mount. In the description he says:
    Focusing : 0.52m ~ infinity
    Auction does not include camera, sell lens only.
    If I were a Nikon shooter, I'd probably go for a Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 90/3.5 instead. Or spend an extra USD 100 on the series II version with a CPU metering chip.
    I agree there are better options for Nikon. My initial interest was for use on my GF1 via my nikon to m43 adapter with the added benefit of being able to use it on my Nikon. From the illustration it appears the focusing ring is quite large and the nikon to m43 adapter would place the focusing ring in a nice position from the GF1 camera body.
    On the other hand, if the conversion is of poor quality, you might end up with an expensive paper weight. I'm not going to risk it.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave
    I have both the 45 and the 90mm (without counting the WA lensees) and all the Zeiss G lenses have the same two rings between the aperture ring and the body (without counting the black shell near of the body). I think that the 90mm you have seen has been rather severely modified in order to accomodate the focusing ring for the Nikon mount. There are shops doing that kind of thing : I once found one aobut a shop who can modify your Zeiss G lenses into a Leica M lense. (http://www.japanexposures.com/lens/ trough KenRockwell www site http://kenrockwell.com/leica/contax-...rsions.htm#rex) They were stripped bare from their external shell after the aperture ring (it is quite an uggly thing) :-( but better than having your lenses in a cupboard.
    Last edited by Annna T; 14th May 2010 at 09:46.

dbloewen

I have both the 45 and the 90mm (without counting the WA lensees) and all the Zeiss G lenses have the same two rings between the aperture ring and the body (without counting the black shell near of the body). I think that the 90mm you have seen has been rather severely modified in order to accomodate the focusing ring for the Nikon mount. There are shops doing that kind of thing : I once found one aobut a shop who can modify your Zeiss G lenses into a Leica M lense. (http://www.japanexposures.com/lens/ trough KenRockwell www site http://kenrockwell.com/leica/contax-...rsions.htm#rex) They were stripped bare from their external shell after the aperture ring (it is quite an uggly thing) :-( but better than having your lenses in a cupboard.
    Thank you for the links. I agree it looks like an extensive modification and quite a costly one. I'm waiting for the Monza adapter for my 45 f2. Hopefully that works out satisfactorily. I think I'll stick with the manufactures lenses from here on.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you for the links. I agree it looks like an extensive modification and quite a costly one. I'm waiting for the Monza adapter for my 45 f2. Hopefully that works out satisfactorily. I think I'll stick with the manufactures lenses from here on.
    Dave
    The price is for the modified lense (aka a second hand lense plus the modification work). If you already have the lense it costs less, but you have to ship the lense there, which I find dissuasive..

dbloewen

The price is for the modified lense (aka a second hand lense plus the modification work). If you already have the lense it costs less, but you have to ship the lense there, which I find dissuasive..
    There are black holes in the universe - at least thats what my bank account tells me

schakal.

Hey monza!

Can you tell me when you are going to start the shipping for the next adapters?

Thx!!!!!!!!

schakal.

Hello?? Monza??

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have a few more that will ship today, and then a larger qty when more gears finally arrive, they were due already...thanks for your patience

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have a few more that will ship today, and then a larger qty when more gears finally arrive, they were due already...thanks for your patience
    You're welcome

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rhododendron

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Sonnar T* 90mm f/2.8 -- ISO 400 -- f/2.8 -- 1/800 -- 90mm

Out for a walk this evening, in the cold and some light rain, with the GF1 and the Contax G 90mm mounted on the Monza adaptor.

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, can't wait for mine to arrive!

schakal.

Thanks, do we get an sending information or shipping details when you are sending it?

Greetz from austria

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes You will get an email notification.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Kipon adapter with focusing ring available on ebay

I've just seen that the newest version of the Kipon adapter with the gold coloured focusing ring is available on ebay.

This means that there are now several basic versions with a small focusing wheel, one or two with geared wheels and 3 more expensive designs, 2 with focusing rings and the monza luxury big wheel design.

Quite a choice now at different prices...

idl

Bought a Lumix G1 14 days ago, kit lens is good. Contax 90mm/2,8 makes 180mm - 2,8 and is although manual due to adapter just marvelous. Can't wait to make use of my Contax 45/2 on my little Geenie so hurry up the shipment Robert. The feeling of manual focusing with a Contax lens on " my Geenie " exceeds the fine feeling of using my D700, which only has a 17 - 35mm on now. Anything else will be used by means of my little Geenie.

Punchman

I would love to read opinions, reviews, comparisons by different owners on how the different Contax G adapters handle - and see examples - in moderate action situations - not just still life shots.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Punchman View Post
    I would love to read opinions, reviews, comparisons by different owners on how the different Contax G adapters handle - and see examples - in moderate action situations - not just still life shots.
    . . . . . you asked for it you got it . . . . .

A moderate action situation . . . . .

Playground Hoops

GF1 with Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm F/2 -- ISO400 -- f/2 -- 1/2500 -- 45mm -- using the adaptor sold by Monza

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Punchman

Thanks Dan! How easy/difficult/smooth do you find the focusing in this situation using Monza's adapter?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan! How easy/difficult/smooth do you find the focusing in this situation using Monza's adapter?
    For this situation I pre-focused the shot I was going to take. I believe the focus point was the basket itself. Using the wheel while attempting to focus on the rear LCD with the GF1 is a challenge with my eyesight. Traditional Focus lens would suit taking shots of sporting events would be my preference.

The adaptor allows the use of the Contax G lenes in many situations that made the adaptor a good purchase for me. I wish the adaptor was easier and smoother to use but then again the lens was made to be driven by a camera motor in a auto focus mode.

I have gotten some excellent shots from the 45 and the 90 mm lens with the adaptor.

You can find them at http://http://farm5.static.flickr.co...af420494_o.jpg

There are a few pictures in the Zeiss 45 & 90 sets in flickr.

Hope that helps.

Life is Grand!

Dan

~

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The link above to sample photos on Flickr is wrong, so I'll try it again:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

A couple of samples with the Contax G Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 90mm f/2.8 with the Monza Adaptor.

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 90mm f/2.8 -- ISO 400 -- f/2.8 -- f/4000 -- 90mm

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Punchman

Thanks Seakayaker for responding and for your examples. The Contax G was my favorite 35mm system in the last of my film days. I still have the camera and the lenses and keep pondering using them on my Lumix G1. Alas, I can not yet rationalize the expense of the adapter considering the focusing limitations. Perhaps down the road the adapter prices will go down.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Seakayaker for responding and for your examples. The Contax G was my favorite 35mm system in the last of my film days. I still have the camera and the lenses and keep pondering using them on my Lumix G1. Alas, I can not yet rationalize the expense of the adapter considering the focusing limitations. Perhaps down the road the adapter prices will go down.
    . . . . . if you are not using them you may consider selling the lenses. I have seen the Contax G lenses priced between $ 179.00 to $ 339.00 on KEH and Adorama. On ebay they usually sell in the same price range on those that bid depending on condition and if the caps and hood are included. Sell a couple and you would be able to pick up the lens that would suit your needs with or without and adaptor.

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

FYI gears finally arrived -- more adapters shipping.

schakal.

Cool Hope i will get an Email Information soon

Greetz from Austria

Post Thanks / Like

This lens is from now on always in my bag! Some pics of Prague, made with Contax Sonnar 2,8/90 and G1 and GF1

Thanks for looking

Karl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Karl,

Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Karl,

Very nice.
    +1
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Karl,

Very nice.
    One more.

Jonas

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    One more.

Jonas
    That should make it a +4 !!!!!

Beautiful photos taken with the Contax Sonnar 90mm f/2.8!

Thanks for sharing!

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    That should make it a +4 !!!!!
    Beautiful photos taken with the Contax Sonnar 90mm f/2.8!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Let's make it a +5 !!!!! Best, Leica 77.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Friedel View Post
    This lens is from now on always in my bag! Some pics of Prague, made with Contax Sonnar 2,8/90 and G1 and GF1
    Thanks for looking

Karl
    Nice work with that Sonnar Karl.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

FYI gears finally arrived -- more adapters shipping.
    Please, I really really need mine by Friday. Hoping I have it.

Thanks.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mls64 View Post
    Please, I really really need mine by Friday. Hoping I have it.

Thanks.
    Mike
    You'll get a notice in your email that it was shipped.

Mine is sitting in the PO as I write.

richie15

If anyone is looking for a Contax Zeiss 45mm Planar in the UK, please send me a pm.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon

Taken with the G1-IR and 28mm f/2.8 Biogon G.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post

Very nice Carl. I had understood that the 28/2.8 Biogon G has issues on mFT, but I can't see anything in that shot. Have you found an issue with edge smearing in either visible or IR?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    That's a great image Carl. I like the lines (trees, water, people) which take us from the background and to the foreground. Interesting, just as the IR is.

Jonas

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CVickery View Post
    Very nice Carl. I had understood that the 28/2.8 Biogon G has issues on mFT, but I can't see anything in that shot. Have you found an issue with edge smearing in either visible or IR?
    Thank you CVickery. My copy of the 28 biogon is a bit soft in the corners at wide apertures, but down at f/8 where this shot was taken nothing serious. No edge smearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    That's a great image Carl. I like the lines (trees, water, people) which take us from the background and to the foreground. Interesting, just as the IR is.
    Jonas
    Thank you Jonas.
    Carl
    Gallery

FaradayCage

Monza's adapter was excellent in Paris... E-PL1 with the Contax 45mm Planar, all out of camera without adjustment, just resizing. You can click on images to reach another page, and then click on that image to get a larger version. The art filters were more useful than I expected on the Olympus.

tobler

Hello everyone,

I just received my adapter(focusing ring version http://bdyoutube.com/profile/riaphoto/videos/) and 45mm lens.

My questions are
    1)I never get aperture ring aligns perfectly on the lens. I can only turn it to f4 at max, is my lens defective? When I look into my lens at f4, the aperture is at widest position though

2)About the adapter, it never hold my lens security. It is kinda loose, it will sometime come off the adapter when I adjust aperture ring. Is this normal? Anyone has this experience?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tobler View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just received my adapter(focusing ring version http://bdyoutube.com/profile/riaphoto/videos/) and 45mm lens.

My questions are
    1)I never get aperture ring aligns perfectly on the lens. I can only turn it to f4 at max, is my lens defective? When I look into my lens at f4, the aperture is at widest position though

2)About the adapter, it never hold my lens security. It is kinda loose, it will sometime come off the adapter when I adjust aperture ring. Is this normal? Anyone has this experience?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Tobler,
    It sounds like your lens is not properly mounted on the adapter. I'm not familiar with that particular one, but the bayonet mount of the Contax G lenses does exactly what you describe when not fully rotated and latched. Maybe the adapter is faulty or sticking?

Simon.

tobler

I turned bayonet mount clockwise until i can't turn anymore so I am not sure what happened. What about alignment of aperture mark, is it the result of not mounting properly?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tobler View Post
    I turned bayonet mount clockwise until i can't turn anymore so I am not sure what happened. What about alignment of aperture mark, is it the result of not mounting properly?
    Make sure you are holding the lens by the middle knurled ring and not the ring with the black plastic piece closest to the lens mount. Align the lens and adapter mounting dots, push in slightly, and turn the middle locking ring on the lens clockwise until it latches. I'm not familiar with your particular adapter, but you may have to jiggle the lens a bit in the adapter before pushing inward to mount and latch the lens.
    Carl
    Gallery