Site Sponsors
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

tobler

Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Thanks snowy and scho. It is fixed now. I just need to turn it clockwise very hard until i heard a "click" or aperture mark is at F2, if i am not there, keep turning harder. Thanks for the help guys!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tobler View Post
    Thanks snowy and scho. It is fixed now. I just need to turn it clockwise very hard until i heard a "click" or aperture mark is at F2, if i am not there, keep turning harder. Thanks for the help guys!
    Congratulations!

Post some pictures when you have a chance . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan

~

next61

Unhappy Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

I don't know guys but I'm still waiting for this adaptor and it's been paid for since April 24th 2010. I hate beating up a dead horse but how long I have to wait? Any advice?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I sent an email update to everyone who ordered, a couple of days ago...more adapters are being assembled and shipped as I type this...if you didn't get the email, send me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Contax G to MFT - did anyone try a Contax flash ?

Speaking of Contax G gear, did anyone dare to put one of the Contax flashs on his MFT body ?

I do still have the small TLA200 and also the big one (TLA280?), which I liked because of its secondary smaller flash lamp (a nice feature to add the catch light in the eyes when you bounce the main flash from the ceiling).

I've read on this thread (http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html) that their triggering voltage is low enough (4.1Volt) to be supported by an EOS digital camera, or even a Powershot. Would it be true for the Olympus Pen ? or for another MFT camera ? Did anyone already try it ?

TIA for your answer.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the TLA 280 on my GH1, works fine.

next61

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I sent an email update to everyone who ordered, a couple of days ago...more adapters are being assembled and shipped as I type this...if you didn't get the email, send me a PM.
    I sent you a PM, thanx!

Post Thanks / Like

I also sent you a pm although I haven't ordered yet. Hope you received it.

tyildiz

Hello.
    I'm interested in purchasing your G-m43 adapter. I will be traveling on june 18th.
    I was curious about the possibility of the adapter being delivered to nyc by then. please let me know. sent you a pm but apparently a quota was exceeded. popularity i guess

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have used the TLA 280 on my GH1, works fine.
    Many thanks for the feedback ! Did anyone else give it a try ?

next61

Thumbs up Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by next61 View Post
    I don't know guys but I'm still waiting for this adaptor and it's been paid for since April 24th 2010. I hate beating up a dead horse but how long I have to wait? Any advice?
    Update: Just received the confirmation email from Paypal, the adaptor is on it's way to my trembling hands
    Thank you Monza!

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent to Monza re adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Monza,

I sent my payment on April 16th and received an Email from you the 28th of may, saying you sent me the adapter, but I haven't received anything yet…
    Is that normal?

next61

Hello everyone!

I finally received this adaptor! I am sorry but all I have to say is that a wooden chinese toy off the "Ladies Market" on Kowloon, Hong Kong would have worked much better...
    It is terrible, the focusing is as smooth as a pile of rocks. That thing is positioned on the lens as Monza instructed in his videos but it feels "lumpy" when you focus. You turn that yellow wheel and after one millimeter, you have to really force it to be able to focus the lens. It feels like there is no perfection in his design... not worth it!

Post Thanks / Like

I have Robert's adapter and it's smooth focusing for my 45 and 28. One finger focusing. A bit rough for my 35 though. He's aware of the various tolerance issues amongst lenses.

BTW--you could have PM Robert about your issue with the adapter before slamming his adapter here publicly.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW--you could have PM Robert about your issue with the adapter before slamming his adapter here publicly.
    I agree. Talk to Robert before slamming him for his hard work and efforts. It's one thing to share your feedback on the adapter it's another thing to insult someone who has really given a lot of his time and help on these forums.

A little respect would be appreciated.

next61

Quote Originally Posted by gmoe View Post
    I agree. Talk to Robert before slamming him for his hard work and efforts. It's one thing to share your feedback on the adapter it's another thing to insult someone who has really given a lot of his time and help on these forums.

A little respect would be appreciated.
    What? What are you talking about? I got that adaptor this week after I payed and waited since April 24th. I read every post on these forums about his adaptor and not one... do you hear me? Not one post - mentions any roughens in focusing. How am I insulting?
    Do you know how many PMs I sent to Monza about this adaptor?
    Do you know how many times he answered?
    It seems that I ruffed up your feathers because I criticized this adaptor and I gave a clear description of how it focuses?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dragos, I have sent you an email.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sim, I assume this is Gilles, I have sent you an email also.

Thanks
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by sim View Post
    Hello Monza,

I sent my payment on April 16th and received an Email from you the 28th of may, saying you sent me the adapter, but I haven't received anything yet…
    Is that normal?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by next61 View Post
    What? What are you talking about? I got that adaptor this week after I payed and waited since April 24th. I read every post on these forums about his adaptor and not one... do you hear me? Not one post - mentions any roughens in focusing. How am I insulting?
    Do you know how many PMs I sent to Monza about this adaptor?
    Do you know how many times he answered?
    It seems that I ruffed up your feathers because I criticized this adaptor and I gave a clear description of how it focuses?
    . . . . . The issue with focusing has been mentioned in other posts.

This from a post I made on May 9th . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    . . . . . No problem with placing the 45mm or 90mm lenses in the adaptor. The focus wheel does feel stiff at this point, but I will have to give it some time to see if it becomes a little more smooth when focusing.
    This from a post three weeks ago . . . . .

I wish the adaptor was easier and smoother to use but then again the lens was made to be driven by a camera motor in a auto focus mode.
    There are a few other posts which point out that reaching focus has been difficult for others when they are using this adaptor. The comments are there if you read through the posts.

I have also corresponded with Monza and he has responded. Hopefully a remedy to allow ease of focusing will be found.

If you go back to his website, I believe he is standing by his product and offers a refund for customers.

I would rather work with him and hope that the adaptor can be improved so that the full potential of the Contax G lenses can be realized.

The sale and purchase of the adaptor is nothing personal, its just a business transaction and can be remedied.

Good Luck!

Life is Grand!

Dan

~

skywalker

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

Could you please kindly give an update of shipping status? I have PM you twice since sending the payment 8 days ago. Many thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

I have also sent payment last week, pm twice and email once. Would be great to hear from your Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, please don't send PMs to me here, as it's too difficult to keep track, and the system prevents sending a PM more than once every four minutes. When you have 5 or 6 in your mail box, well, you get the idea. Also, often I can't tell who is whom, because forum names don't correspond to email addresses. Thanks for your understanding...

JPB

Dear Monza,

Just got the adapter. Many thanks.

The adapter, presumably "second generation", is well made and the materials are excellent. Mounting and unmounting proves no problem whatsoever, thanks to your video. However, focusing is inconsistent: "smooth" or "bumpy" depending on the position I am holding my G1.

I noticed that there is a fair amount of play when the lens is seated in place, in terms of rotation and laterally. I suspect that if it fit more tightly, focusing would be regular. The little gizmo on the lens that turns and moves the helicals is so small that it does not tolerate the slightest displacement, however small.

In practical terms, if adapting these lenses had been all that easy, someone would have solved the problem a long time ago. So far, nobody has done so with absolute success. I suppose, then, we must resign ourselves to the Contax G lenses being useful tools on the MFT system for certain applications and less for others (in short - their being a beloved pain in the butt..)

My assessment:

I can live with the adapter as it is, but find that it is far better to use two fingers to rotate the wheel than one.

Dear Monza: If you have any observations, if I have a problem example, or if there are improvements on the way, please keep me informed.

Kind regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I sent you an email after seeing your post here.

Polo

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your feedback, JPB. As I posted on my blog, I recommend using two fingers for focus (the torque required to rotate the thumbwheel back and forth is much easier with two fingers than one.)

I'm investigating further improvements.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    Dear Monza,

Just got the adapter. Many thanks.

The adapter, presumably "second generation", is well made and the materials are excellent. Mounting and unmounting proves no problem whatsoever, thanks to your video. However, focusing is inconsistent: "smooth" or "bumpy" depending on the position I am holding my G1.

I noticed that there is a fair amount of play when the lens is seated in place, in terms of rotation and laterally. I suspect that if it fit more tightly, focusing would be regular. The little gizmo on the lens that turns and moves the helicals is so small that it does not tolerate the slightest displacement, however small.

In practical terms, if adapting these lenses had been all that easy, someone would have solved the problem a long time ago. So far, nobody has done so with absolute success. I suppose, then, we must resign ourselves to the Contax G lenses being useful tools on the MFT system for certain applications and less for others (in short - their being a beloved pain in the butt..)

My assessment:

I can live with the adapter as it is, but find that it is far better to use two fingers to rotate the wheel than one.

Dear Monza: If you have any observations, if I have a problem example, or if there are improvements on the way, please keep me informed.

Kind regards.
    G lenses can be converted to Leica M mount, then all you need is M>mFT adapter. I've considered this with my 28.

As for smooth focusing. My 35 was a bit rough, but after some playing with the lens on the adapter off the camera I found it was the slight looseness that was the problem. If I gently apply pressure up, not rotationally, I will then have a smooth focusing adapter. Smooth focusing with my 45 and 28 without any added pressure either way.

I must also say, Robert is a great guy to deal with. He did an awesome job painting my Leica M3, machining two c-mount lenses, numerous buying and selling back and forth the last few years. Just be patient and he'll come through for you who are waiting for your adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got the adapter and did some shooting with a Contax G90/2.8 it a a BBQ and blues picnic that was a charity fundraiser. Here are a few images.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Novaron View Post
    Finally got the adapter and did some shooting with a Contax G90/2.8 it a a BBQ and blues picnic that was a charity fundraiser. Here are a few images.
    Great Shots! Thanks for sharing . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

With the recent 'focus' regarding the adaptor for the Contax G Lens I thought I would take a walk down to one of the local gardens and take the 45/2 and 90/2.8 out for another spin . . . . .

Pink Flowers

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm F/2 -- ISO 100 -- f/2 -- 1/400 -- 45mm

Red Poppy

Gf1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.8 -- 1/250 -- 90mm

The 45/2 worked well using the two finger focus method while the 90/2.8 had a few times where I could not quite capture focus. So I would walk away, extend the lens out and back then reframe and capture the shot. The lenses were easy to place into and remove from the adaptor.

I really like the Zeiss lenses and they work well with the adaptor with some limitations.

Robert, I am sending along some good Karma with the hope that a slight modification in the future will make the adaptor perfect!

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

KHG

So I have had Monza's adapter for about a week and wanted to provide a few thoughts.

First off, the adapter is very well made and it is obvious that considerable time and effort were spent on this. I was hoping for this adapter to provide a smooth focus on the G lenses, but unfortunately have run into the same stiffness and sticking as the other users. I have spent some time trying to diagnose the concerns raised with this adapter. This is what I have found:

The "play" that is felt is caused by the variation in the width between the adapter's male focus drive screw and the female portion located on the lens. This variation in width is also what I believe is causing the sticking and stiffness. When torque is applied to the focus knob, the drive screw will slip towards one side, causing much more force needed. This can be reproduced by centering the lens on the adapter and turning the adapter wheel. You should notice that the lens rotates slightly on the adapter.

The key is to find a way to keep the adapter's screw drive centered on the lens drive. I believe that there are two ways to solve this problem. The first is to widen the adapter's screw drive. Unfortunately this would be very difficult to do with the current adapter. The other option would be to slightly round off the adapter's screw drive. If you look at the Contax G body's screw drive you will notice that it is slightly rounded. When matched with a slightly rounded female end, this creates a centering feature.

I'm not 100% committed to visiting the machine shop to try this without some spare parts, but am interested in some thoughts and feedback.

K

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Monza,

I received your adapter at last. I'll try it this week end and I will let you know what I think.

skywalker

KIPON G lens adapter for SONY NEX now avalible.

http://www.dl-kipon.com/onews.asp?id=69

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KHG View Post
    So I have had Monza's adapter for about a week and wanted to provide a few thoughts.

First off, the adapter is very well made and it is obvious that considerable time and effort were spent on this. I was hoping for this adapter to provide a smooth focus on the G lenses, but unfortunately have run into the same stiffness and sticking as the other users. I have spent some time trying to diagnose the concerns raised with this adapter. This is what I have found:

The "play" that is felt is caused by the variation in the width between the adapter's male focus drive screw and the female portion located on the lens. This variation in width is also what I believe is causing the sticking and stiffness. When torque is applied to the focus knob, the drive screw will slip towards one side, causing much more force needed. This can be reproduced by centering the lens on the adapter and turning the adapter wheel. You should notice that the lens rotates slightly on the adapter.
    Great summary. My adapter has the same characteristics. It is a bit
    "rough" in focus with the 45mm, but the 90mm is pretty smooth and allows
    for one-finger focusing. The lenses are so nice, though, I'll put up with the
    finicky nature of Monza's adapter until a fix or better design comes along.
    All of the adapters have their weak points, and it seems that Monza's is the
    best of the crop right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Dragos, I have sent you an email.
    Wait, what? How am I involved in this? Is there another Dragos out there?
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

skywalker

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    KIPON G lens adapter for SONY NEX now avalible.

You may receive more attention or conversation regarding the subject of an adaptor for the Sony NEX if you started a separate thread for the Sony NEX camera.

People that may be interested in the information you posted on the NEX with adaptor may not open a thread regarding "Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?"

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Aldrin

I am also searching for an adapter for my G45 and G90 to a Panasonic GF 1. Came across this and wonder if anyone have tested it?

Aldrin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrin View Post
    I am also searching for an adapter for my G45 and G90 to a Panasonic GF 1. Came across this and wonder if anyone have tested it?

Aldrin
    This looks like the first generation of adapter with a ring. Some one on this thread already commented about it a while ago, comparing it to the other type of adapter with a gear wheel. It seems that the focusing operations were rather rough too. Kipon who has a good reputation is also selling a new adapter with a ring since a few weeks. This is the one I'd get :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kipon-New-adapte...item4150b86363

Personnally I own a second generation Kipon adapter, one with a bigger wheel which shows some roughness, but not too much.

Aldrin

Many thx for pointing me towards the Kipon adapter. How would you say the picture quality is with the adapter mounted on your camera?

//Aldrin
    www.hakanaldrin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    This looks like the first generation of adapter with a ring. Some one on this thread already commented about it a while ago, comparing it to the other type of adapter with a gear wheel. It seems that the focusing operations were rather rough too. Kipon who has a good reputation is also selling a new adapter with a ring since a few weeks. This is the one I'd get :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kipon-New-adapte...item4150b86363

Personnally I own a second generation Kipon adapter, one with a bigger wheel which shows some roughness, but not too much.
    Last edited by Aldrin; 4th July 2010 at 08:15.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Took a walk with the Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f2.8 - one of the many photos taken . . . . .

Blue Passionflower

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/4 -- 1/160

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Took a walk with the Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f2.8 - one of the many photos taken . . . . .

Blue Passionflower

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/4 -- 1/160

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Lovely colors and composition, Dan

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you want to see what the IQ delivered by the Zeiss lenses is, look in this very thread (it is 14 pages long and many members have posted several pictures, some showing 100% crop if I remember correctly). The 45mm is very sharp. The 90mm somewhat less, but then it is more difficult to focuse with the E-P1.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrin View Post
    Many thx for pointing me towards the Kipon adapter. How would you say the picture quality is with the adapter mounted on your camera?

//Aldrin
    www.hakanaldrin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, got the adapter today. Sent you another e-mail.

Post Thanks / Like

Just received the new Kipon adapter with the ring focus to use on the 45mm f/2. It is a pleasure to use. It is very smooth through the entire focus range with no sticking or jerking. It just behaves like a focus ring on other manual lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrosen2 View Post
    Just received the new Kipon adapter with the ring focus to use on the 45mm f/2. It is a pleasure to use. It is very smooth through the entire focus range with no sticking or jerking. It just behaves like a focus ring on other manual lenses.
    . . . . . any chance you could post a photo of the adaptor with lens on your camera?

Where did you purchase and what is the cost.

Thanks,

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Post Thanks / Like

I got it here:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Focusing-Helicoid...item335e249aa7

The photo in the auction shows a gold adapter ring. Mine is chrome.

Attachment 32795

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This thread on adapters for Contax G lenses now includes quite a few image posts taken with Contax G lenses on various m43 cameras. I've posted some and I certainly have enjoyed viewing those posted by others. Should we continue to post Contax G images here or should we start a new images only thread and leave this thread just for the technical discussions? While giving that some thought, here is another Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar image from the G2.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

When I set up this thread, there were only a few Contax G adapters available, and none of them have much a track record or user report. I was looking for information and user experience on limited numbers of adapters, and thought other G lenses owners would like to know what was available too.

Over time, there have been more and more adapters available, and the nature of this thread has been changed quite a bit. It is a good idea to post images showing how the adapter looks like on the camera body. But, any images (or messages) other than showing the G adapter would be better off to start a new thread. It will be more beneficial to keep this thread strictly for discussion on adapters.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl