The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Jonas

Not with the new Lens-works adapter, it hasn't arrived yet. But it is fully possible to focus with the Kipon adapter in this situation:

"Looking good?" G1, Planar G 45/2, @f/2

regards,

/Jonas

Last edited:

photoSmart42

Did they show a Contax G adapter in PMA?
Yes, they had a table full of all their existing adapters. They didn't have any of the ones as far as I could tell - I only saw the regular Contax-G adapter with the side wheel. I think KIPON makes some of the nicer adapters out there. I have their C-mount adapter and I'm very pleased with it.

scho

Not with the new Lens-works adapter, it hasn't arrived yet. But it is fully possible to focus with the Kipon adapter in this situation:

"Looking good?" G1, Planar G 45/2, @f/2

regards,

/Jonas
Excellent. Precision manual focusing Jonas. Try doing that with autofocus :ROTFL:

S

skywalker

not KIPON former geared vertion,they are producing the latest G adapter with outside big focus ring,the adapter they showed at PMA is the former geared version Jonas bought.

larryk

If you're talking about the geared, Kipon adapter for the G1/G2 lenses, I bought one about 2-3 weeks ago when the discussion started here for about US $ 120 or so. Took a couple of weeks to get here. I also have the non-geared adapter which I could not get off of my 90mm lens (I quit trying and decided the convenience of having an adapter on each lens was worth $120. The geared adapter is much easier to use, but the non-geared adapter works well once you get used to it. One thing I discovered trying to rest the lens on a window ledge was that the knob won't turn at all if the lens itself is obstructed in anyway for moving. It feels stuck, but when you pick it up it works fine. So, I would recommend the geared one first, but either one if it means going up to $200 to get one. That's more than the 90mm lens! I guess I ordered soon enough to get the first batch. Also, I read somewhere on the web that the lens should be all the way closed before being mounted on the G1/2 camera. I never had the camera, so I don't know if that's true for the Panasonic G1 with adapter or not.

Jonas

An USD 180 adapter experience:

Or if it is USD 200 or 230 now... I received my lens-workshop adapter last Friday. Cool, finally a focus ring for my G lenses!

Here are my first hands-on experience. It's based on a few shorts moments only as I've been at work for the whole weekend:

→ The adapter seem to be of good quality as in well put together.
→ It is not easy to mount and un-mount the lens. Fiddly stuff. I even didn't manage to mount one of my lenses at all.
→ With the Planar 45 you turn the ring about 100 or 110 degrees to go from MFD to infinity.
→ There is a little play, I guess it is inevitable, in the focus ring when changing direction.
→ One can't turn the ring from one end to another in one smooth movement. On my G1 the extending flash house/viewfinder housing gets in the way. So does the lens release lever on the adapter.

You can see what I mean with the lens release lever if you check the YouTube links peter gave us in post 249 at page 5. And yes, I know how to mount and un-mount the G lenses and can switch between them in seconds, with a nice clickety-click using the Kipon adapter.

All that may sound bad, and it is bad. The good things are that it feels more natural to turn a ring than it does to operate the focusing wheel on the Kipon adapter. Another thing is that I'm playing with a simple focusing scale (on a G lens...!)

Hmm. I think lens-workshop should have made the focusing ring wider.

I'll use the adapter more during the coming week and I'll post again including some images (if needed) and more on how I find the adapter in real use.

/Jonas

scho

Or if it is USD 200 or 230 now... I received my lens-workshop adapter last Friday. Cool, finally a focus ring for my G lenses!

Here are my first hands-on experience. It's based on a few shorts moments only as I've been at work for the whole weekend:

→ It is not easy to mount and un-mount the lens. Fiddly stuff. I even didn't manage to mount one of my lenses at all.
→ With the Planar 45 you turn the ring about 100 or 110 degrees to go from MFD to infinity.
→ There is a little play, I guess it is inevitable, in the focus ring when changing direction.
→ One can't turn the ring from one end to another in one smooth movement. On my G1 the extending flash house/viewfinder housing gets in the way. So does the lens release lever on the adapter.

You can see what I mean with the lens release lever if you check the YouTube links peter gave us in post 249 at page 5. And yes, I know how to mount and un-mount the G lenses and can switch between them in seconds, with a nice clickety-click using the Kipon adapter.

All that may sound bad, and it is bad. The good things are that it feels more natural to turn a ring than it does to operate the focusing wheel on the Kipon adapter. Another thing is that I'm playing with a simple focusing scale (on a G lens...!)

I'll use the adapter more during the coming week and I'll post again including some images (if needed) and more on how I find the adapter in real use.

/Jonas
Thanks for your comments on the lens-workshop adapter. Is it difficult to grip the focus ring because it is at the back and close to the camera body? Do your fingers get pinched or rub on the camera body when turning the ring?

davemillier

/Jonas
I have the geared Kipon adapter for my 90mm (and 35mm soon). I find it good. I wouldn't say it was superior to the regular focusing ring but it is still good: smooth precise and easy to use. The only "problem" I've experienced is forgetting where it is momentarily and having to take a peek.

But that will be solved with practice and muscle memory.

Jonas

Thanks for your comments on the lens-workshop adapter. Is it difficult to grip the focus ring because it is at the back and close to the camera body? Do your fingers get pinched or rub on the camera body when turning the ring?
You're welcome Carl,

I'm sorry for the late reply. Real life knocked on the door and there was nothing including taking images of camera adapters in it, lol.

So, here is a series of images and I hope they will answer your questions.

Above: The lens-shops adapter sitting between the G1 and the Planar 45/2. Under the camera's lens release button we can see the adapter lens release lever. It is qyite close to the narrow focusing ring.

Above: Camera/adapter profile. As I have a G1 the prism house (sick, it is a viewfinder house or a flash house) protrudes and covers the adapter focusing ring.

Above: My thumb touches the mentioned house. I start to turn the ring.

Above: My thumb now rests agains the release lever. As it is about 100 degrees, maybe a little more, from MFD to infinity you can see I have to repeat this four or fives time to focus from one extreme to another.

Above: The Kipon adapter. The focusing wheel is sitting under the adapter's lens release button.

Finally, #6

ABove: An un-necessary image but now it got processed together with the other ones. Going from infinity to MFD is four, three if stretching a little, repeated movements with the thumb.

During todays experimenting I haven't found anything new or different from the first early report. The focusing wheel is brilliant and the idea is technically well performed but the ergonomics doesn't suit me and my choice of camera.

In the video clips the folks at lens-workshops show the adapter together with a GF1. I would think the adapter works better ergonomically on that camera, or with any of the Olympus models. The disclaimer here is of course that you should be aware I'm just reporting on (from?) my short experience, and my camera and my fingers. YMMV.

For the moment I'm not intended to switch to any of these models. Anyone in the EU interested in buying my already VATed adapter? Send me a PM.

hth,

/Jonas

apicius9

Jonas, you make great points about the usefulness. Makes me wonder... I will probably go the same route as you, try both and then decide. The ring being close to the adapter is something I am used to from several of the c-mount lenses I have, but I didn't consider the limitation because of the lens release buttons. The larger ring instills a little bit more confidence than the little wheel IMHO, but that may just come down to personal preference. I'm also wondering: How often do you really chase from one extreme to the other in focusing, won't the majority of cases in real life imply mostly smaller focus adjustments - and make the limitations relative?

Stefan

Alex Souvorov

Jonas, do you feel that relatively short focus throw of 100-110 degrees allows enough precision for critical focusing?

Also, did you think about removing the lens release lever? Certainly this will turn the adapter into a dedicated to one lens adapter. I'm almost sure that if really needed the adapter could be removed from a lens using a small screwdriver to push the latch.

Alex

Z

zivk

That's how I have to remove my RJ adapter anyway. Since the process is now very deliberate (no more fast shooting from the hip with these lenses on GF-1) I don't particularly mind the screwdriver. On second thought, though, with more training I could perhaps get relatively fast even with the tiny wheel on RJ and start using GF-1 for street photography. That's a challenge.

Marko

... I'm almost sure that if really needed the adapter could be removed from a lens using a small screwdriver to push the latch.

Alex

D

Devon Shaw

You're welcome Carl,

Above: The Kipon adapter. The focusing wheel is sitting under the adapter's lens release button.

During todays experimenting I haven't found anything new or different from the first early report. The focusing wheel is brilliant and the idea is technically well performed but the ergonomics doesn't suit me and my choice of camera.

/Jonas
That geared focusing wheel looks like it could really dig into your thumb. How is this in actual use?
Thanks,
Devon

Alex Souvorov

That's how I have to remove my RJ adapter anyway.
Marko
Marko, I also have an RJ adapter. Initially I thought that it was impossible to remove the adapter. Eventually I found that it helps to close aperture before removing the adapter. It also helps to push the finger deep between the release button and the rest of the contraption.

Alex

Howard

Jonas,

Thank you for posting the photos and commentary on the focus ring adapter. After seeing the photos and reading your observations, my excitement for the focus ring adapter has diminished. I have large hands and I believe I would have difficulty given the small width of the focus ring. I am again interested in Monza's geared adapter when it becomes available.

Jonas

Jonas, (...)I'm also wondering: How often do you really chase from one extreme to the other in focusing, won't the majority of cases in real life imply mostly smaller focus adjustments - and make the limitations relative?
Stefan
Hi Stefan,

I don't chase anything from MFD to infinity very often, lol, you are right. I have used the combo a little more today and what that feels a bit awkward, to me at least, is the way I gave to angle the hand not to get hooked on the lens release lever. It just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

The Planar G 45/2 has a MFD of 0.5m. Today I measured the rotation from 1m to infinity and it is a bit less than 30 degrees and so it can be handled in one movement. That is if you grip the ring at the right position. I guess one can do with some practising.

Jonas, do you feel that relatively short focus throw of 100-110 degrees allows enough precision for critical focusing?
Hi Alex,

The Planar G 45/2 has a MFD of 0.5m. Today I measured the rotation from 1m to infinity and it is a bit less than 30 degrees. That is short, but not very short. Compare to the lenses you have. I did and several of my lenses around 50mm are like that. The difference is they have common straight helicoids for focusing.

The problem with this combo and critical focusing is the screwdrive AF construction combined with the geared focusing ring. There is a play when switching direction of the ring, there are many mechanical links and sometimes they can offer points with increased resistance.

It's not like anything is jamming or binding but the resistance is uneven and there is a lot of feedback from the fingers for the brain to deal with...

Also, did you think about removing the lens release lever? Certainly this will turn the adapter into a dedicated to one lens adapter. I'm almost sure that if really needed the adapter could be removed from a lens using a small screwdriver to push the latch.

Alex
Yup. I'll do that unless I sell the adapter. When I get a serious interest in a lens and believe I'll keep it for a long time it always gets its own dedicated adapter anyway. I don't want to move around adapter and lens caps when switching lenses.

That's how I have to remove my RJ adapter anyway. Since the process is now very deliberate (no more fast shooting from the hip with these lenses on GF-1) I don't particularly mind the screwdriver. On second thought, though, with more training I could perhaps get relatively fast even with the tiny wheel on RJ and start using GF-1 for street photography. That's a challenge.

Marko
Marko,

The geared wheel (Kipon, Robert [monza], adapters is probably way better for street shooting. But, well, I haven't tried the RJ adapter. The Kipon adapter makes for pretty easy fast focusing as long as it isn't super critical.

That geared focusing wheel looks like it could really dig into your thumb. How is this in actual use?
Thanks,
Devon
Devon, what you see is a reflection from the edge of the cogwheel. The width of the wheel is, moment... 1.7mm. Then there is a 1mm washer right behind the cogwheel preventing it from dig deep into your thumb.

In actual use it works fine. No aching thumb here.

Jonas,

Thank you for posting the photos and commentary on the focus ring adapter. After seeing the photos and reading your observations, my excitement for the focus ring adapter has diminished. I have large hands and I believe I would have difficulty given the small width of the focus ring. I am again interested in Monza's geared adapter when it becomes available.
Hi Howard,

I think we all are interested in Robert's adapter. I haven't seen any description of it and it will be interesting to see if there is any difference between it and the Kipon adapter. At another place in this thread I read Kipon will make an adapter with a focusing ring. It may be worth checking that out as well.

The lens-workshop's focusing ring as about 5mm wide. My hands are ordinary, or just a little larger than Medium. I have no problem gripping the focusing ring. As mentioned earlier I think it would work fine if I could grip it from the bottom rather than side.

@All:

Remember this is me and my preferences. I have reason to believe at least one other regular poster here has the lens-workshop adapter on order. I got mine early, offered USD 180 which was accepted. I'm not sure about USD 230 as their going price is right now. So I think it is a good idea to wait for more opinions and impressions before deciding in either direction.

regards,

/Jonas