Site Sponsors
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Got my monza adapter via wjlapier. Thanks! So far my 90mm and 45mm seem fairly smooth. My 28mm is a little sticky but usable. But my 35mm is not. It turns and then stops and I can't go any farther and need to jiggle it back and forth before I can get the focus ring to move. Weird thing is if I take a small screwdriver and turn the focus rings it moves smoothly. I did the same thing on the 45mm and it is much more rough when turning the focus with the screwdriver yet when placing the monza adapter it turns fairly smoothly.

Any similar experiences or reasons behind the 35mm not being able to turn? Do the helicoids need to be regreased? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmoe View Post
    Got my monza adapter via wjlapier. Thanks! So far my 90mm and 45mm seem fairly smooth. My 28mm is a little sticky but usable. But my 35mm is not. It turns and then stops and I can't go any farther and need to jiggle it back and forth before I can get the focus ring to move. Weird thing is if I take a small screwdriver and turn the focus rings it moves smoothly. I did the same thing on the 45mm and it is much more rough when turning the focus with the screwdriver yet when placing the monza adapter it turns fairly smoothly.

Any similar experiences or reasons behind the 35mm not being able to turn? Do the helicoids need to be regreased? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I had similar experience but my 90 Sonnar just won't turn, and 35 and 45 Planars are working okay but far from smooth. I am also a bit disappointed...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, I sent you an email. Ocean I will drop you a PM later tonight.

uusunn

Hey Guys,

Longtime lurker but recent registrant here because I just wanted to clear up the general consensus amongst the different adapters available for Contax G - M43. Is there any way the owners of different adapters can possibly post a video showing how hard or easy it may be to focus (from the camera's viewpoint ("test footage") as well as from someone handling it)? I've seen videos for both adapters on YouTube, but i'm simply looking for someone who will show it being used to take photos or video.

I'd love to know simply because 100-200$ is a lot to bet on by word of mouth (at least for me), and i'd think that solid proof (such as a video) would be the ultimate benchmark in which we can make decisions from. I think it would ultimately be beneficial for all of the users buying in to all sorts of different adapters (and lord knows they don't come cheap).

The reviews seem to be mixed (most are skewed favorably towards the Monza adapter), but i'd like to hear thoughts on the newer revision of the Kipon (I believe there's a user on here a page back who said the focusing was 'as it should be'.. i'd love to hear more on that!)

I'm currently seriously considering two adapters:

Monza: http://contaxgm43.wordpress.com/
    Kipon New Revision (via a member of this thread, 'jrosen2'): http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_950wt_1139

At this point i'm very much on the fence because while the Kipon 'focus ring' seems attractive, I just don't know if it's as smooth (the reviews are mixed based upon the revisions). As for the Monza, while the knob (?) is a very cool idea, i'm just not sure about it because i've never tried it (and therefore, more apprehensive).

Can the users who have used either or both chime in (either via a reply or perhaps a video?). I would very much appreciate it and i'd love to think that many others with the Contax G - M4/3 setup would as well.

Thank you!
    Last edited by uusunn; 13th July 2010 at 19:35.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I finally sat down and started to play with the G adapters. Connected Monza's adapter to the 90mm lens. It's too dark to check infinity, but overall it seems to work well. I wouldn't necessarily call it smooth but it is workable without too much annoyance, especially considering that I usually rarely jump from one extreme distance to the other and back. It is easy to attach the lens to the adapter and the adapter fits the camera snugly. The whole lens does have a little bit of play (I assume because of the tolerances for the little driving pin) but it seems stable enough not to affect the sharpness or anything else (just judging from the LCD). The position of the focusing wheel is fine. I have XL-sized hands and I cannot imagine using a smaller wheel than this, so I'm glad I didn't even try the first generation of adapters. This one works well with 2 fingers for me, it's not smooth enough for 1-finger operation.

I wanted to compare it to the other one I had bought a while ago through a group buy on another forum. That one has the outer focusing ring; as far as I understand it is the second run of the first outer-ring version that had appeared on ebay a while ago. The adapter looks nice but I was a little bit concerned by the outer ring being pretty much flush with the camera, that can make it difficult to focus quickly as I know well from some of my c-mount lenses. Unfortunately, I did not even get to try it out. I tried connecting the adapter to the 45mm lens and somehow must have not aligned them correctly. Now, the little driving pin is not in the respective slot and the lens does not snap in easily as it does in Monza's adapter. Lens and adapter are only loosely connected now, and I feel a bit stupid to say this but for the last 15 minutes I have sat here cursing and trying to separate the 2 again and still have not succeeded. I'm giving up for now before I get too annoyed, will have a glass of wine to calm my nerves and will try again in the next few days... Tips are very welcome if you have come across this as well with one of these contraptions. I wish I had tried this adapter earlier, it had come just before I went on a longer trip and now it's too late to return it.

I don't have the new Kipon adapter with the outer ring, but from the picture it looks to me like the focusing ring is not as close to the camera as in the one I have, that would definitely be a bonus. But since I am not even sure that I will keep the lenses, I will definitely not get a third adapter to check it out

More when (if) I get the lens and adapter separated...

Stefan
    Last edited by apicius9; 14th July 2010 at 01:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Lens and adapter are only loosely connected now, and I feel a bit stupid to say this but for the last 15 minutes I have sat here cursing and trying to separate the 2 again and still have not succeeded. I'm giving up for now before I get too annoyed, will have a glass of wine to calm my nerves and will try again in the next few days... Tips are very welcome if you have come across this as well with one of these contraptions. I wish I had tried this adapter earlier, it had come just before I went on a longer trip and now it's too late to return it.
    Do you know the Contax G lenses well ? are you aware that if you want to dismount them you have to seize them with the second silver ring and turn it counter clockwise ? if you seize the first ring (the black one nearer of the camera body) you can't unlock the lense and it won't come out of the body or the adapter.

Forgive me for this basic explanation, if you know these lenses well, but I've already heard of several people who were complaining about the adapter, but were not aware of the particular behaviour of the Zeiss G lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post

I don't have the new Kipon adapter with the outer ring, but from the picture it looks to me like the focusing ring is not as close to the camera as in the one I have, that would definitely be a bonus. But since I am not even sure that I will keep the lenses, I will definitely not get a third adapter to check it out

Stefan
    You are not the first to complain about a ring adapter. I've already read that the ring was sitting too near of the body and thus difficult to operate due to the roughness encountered while focusing.

The new Kipon ring adapter seems to be better. I've read a good feedback on it at Dpreview. Personnally I own the second generation Kipon adapter with a bigger gear wheel. It is working smoothly with my 45mm lense and has some rough points on the 90mm lenses, particularly when I want to go back from infinite to a somewhat nearer point of focus. The 45mm lense can almost always be operated with a single finger, but the 90mm not so often.
    I think that the problem lies more with the little screw on the lense operating the focusing mecanism than on the adapters and that almost all the adapters will show some roughness. That roughness may be easier to deal with using a ring adapter. After my relatively good experience with the Kipon adapter I'm considering getting one of those Kipon ring adapter as well.

All the more so that the Contax Zeiss G lenses are much lighter and more balanced with the E-P1 body than the heavier Leica M lenses I have.
    Last edited by Annna T; 14th July 2010 at 01:40.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I came back here before going to bed- Thanks very much for the explanation, Anna. I don't know the G lenses at all, so this was clearly user error. Following your comment it now works reasonably well. I have been switching the 45mm and the 90mm back and forth between the 2 adapters a few times and what I can add is that

a) both adapters work on both lenses; in my case the outer ring adapter seems to run slightly smoother with the 90mm and Monza's adapter is a bit smoother with the 45mm. However, as I mentioned before, 'smooth' is relative. I'm not expecting Leica smoothness from a simple adapter, but these two clearly show some grating and different resistance at different lengths.

b) I would say the ease of operation is comparable. The small wheel has its issues, but the large wheel close to the camera also has some, so that comes down to personal preference, I guess.

Of course, this is all after just playing around for the first time. I'll try to take the lenses out for a walk soon and see what happens in real-life situations. I also have the 35mm and will see how that works with the adapters, but that one is likely to go anyway - too many lenses...

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stefan agreed smooth is relative with these adapters and I know there is going to be additional play and stickyness no matter what.

Okay, after sitting with the monza adapter and my 35mm lens for hours with a flash light going over where the issue was with my lens I was determined to find some answers especially when Robert told me the 35mm lens has worked the best with his adapter.

So I did finally get the 35mm lens smooth by placing a thin post it note shim between the lens and adapter where the focusing screw connects. I'm on deadline for a film that I'm finishing so I'll post it later and show a quick video of the "smoothness" at least on my four lenses. I do think there's definite variation out there. Ultimately, I'd like to try to get another monza adapter to see if this "shimming" technique can be replicated and if it can provide even better smoothness for the other lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I'm not lucky I guess, with the Monza's adapter that I'v been using for more than a week now. The adapter's design is nice, it's well made and the focus wheel has the good size. It would be okay if it worked normally but the 90mm is very "sticky" and I can hardly move the focus ring of the 35mm. Only the 45mm is usable but, as others mentioned, with a "relative" smothness. That added with the unusal position of the focus ring, I find this is far from being a pleasant "photographic" experience… To my humble opinion, I think it's okay for an occasional use (especially if you only photograph flowers) but no more… There are other lenses that are as good as the Contax (Olympus OM for instance) which fonction normally.

Maybe that particular adapter calls for a more precise mecanism (There is some play between the lens and the camera body and I noticed smothness varies depending on the position of the camera).
    That's why what KHG said on this forum seems very plausible to me :

"The "play" that is felt is caused by the variation in the width between the adapter's male focus drive screw and the female portion located on the lens… This variation in width is also what I believe is causing the sticking and stiffness… The key is to find a way to keep the adapter's screw drive centered on the lens drive… One option would be to slightly round off the adapter's screw drive. If you look at the Contax G body's screw drive you will notice that it is slightly rounded. When matched with a slightly rounded female end, this creates a centering feature."

And indeed, if you check, you will see that the female part on the lens (likewise on the body), are slightly rounded…

Anyways, dear Robert, I sent you an Email a few days ago, could you please answer?

Thank you.

Gilles
    Last edited by sim; 14th July 2010 at 11:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Kipon "Gold ring"

Hi

I have the 35mm and 90mm G lenses with my GF1. I have been using the Kipon Mk2 (geared thumbwheel) adaptor.

It has been fine: it is smooth and precise with both my lenses and focusing is straight forward. I would have been perfectly happy to stick with this except for the decision to get a leather case. The case partially blocks access to the thumbwheel and it can only be operated using the ball of the thumb on the edge of the wheel. It's a little wheel and operating it in this way needs a lot of pressure, much more so than without the case where I can use finger and thumb, and it can be tiring on the thumb.

So, I took a chance and today took receipt of the Mk 3 Kipon - the one one with the large gold ring around the outside.

I was worried it would be rough like the first ring model from another supplier that people have complained about. Not a bit of it. It has a firm action (geared presumably) but it has a smooth, snag free rotation without any slack, jerkiness or roughness.

Seems to be about as good as you are going to get I would say. The ring is far enough forward, so there is no trouble turning it even with the case. The only negative (minor) so far is that ring is narrow and even though it is knurled it is still made from glossy polished metal so if the weather is hot and your fingers sweaty it is slipperier than the typical rubber ring on a stock manual focus lens. Other than that, recommended, at least with my lenses.

Cheers

Dave

uusunn

Re: Kipon "Gold ring"

Quote Originally Posted by davemillier View Post
    Hi

I have the 35mm and 90mm G lenses with my GF1. I have been using the Kipon Mk2 (geared thumbwheel) adaptor.

It has been fine: it is smooth and precise with both my lenses and focusing is straight forward. I would have been perfectly happy to stick with this except for the decision to get a leather case. The case partially blocks access to the thumbwheel and it can only be operated using the ball of the thumb on the edge of the wheel. It's a little wheel and operating it in this way needs a lot of pressure, much more so than without the case where I can use finger and thumb, and it can be tiring on the thumb.

So, I took a chance and today took receipt of the Mk 3 Kipon - the one one with the large gold ring around the outside.

I was worried it would be rough like the first ring model from another supplier that people have complained about. Not a bit of it. It has a firm action (geared presumably) but it has a smooth, snag free rotation without any slack, jerkiness or roughness.

Seems to be about as good as you are going to get I would say. The ring is far enough forward, so there is no trouble turning it even with the case. The only negative (minor) so far is that ring is narrow and even though it is knurled it is still made from glossy polished metal so if the weather is hot and your fingers sweaty it is slipperier than the typical rubber ring on a stock manual focus lens. Other than that, recommended, at least with my lenses.

Cheers

Dave
    Sounds like we have a winner!

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, thank you for posting your experience with the Mk3 Kipon, which sounds like someone finally got it done right. Is it possible for you to post an image showing the adapter on the camera body? It is very confusing to go to their site trying to determine which one is the Mk3.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like

Just a few more small things I noticed today:

- after playing around, I think both adapters are a little smoother than before - just don't use them right after shooting with a Leica lens...

- focusing works well but with the gears it sometimes takes a bit of fiddling to get it exactly right.

- I hold the camera in my right hand and shoot portrait format with the grip up. That way, the wheel on Monza's adapter is on the 'wrong' side, i.e. I have to work the wheel on the right side of the lens with my left hand. A bit awkward.

I think it will just take a bit of adjustment and everyone has to decide how much they are willing to compromise for using these lenses. They definitely are a great match in size and balance for the GH1. I have to shoot a whle to make my decision, but pictures I have seen here have really inpressed me. I hope I can also get that out of these lenses one day.

Stefan

famendo

where can I buy the 3rd gen Kipon adapter? I found a picture of one on ebay with gold, but then in the description the auction says it is silver in color. I just want to buy and make sure I am getting the new one. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by famendo View Post
    where can I buy the 3rd gen Kipon adapter? I found a picture of one on ebay with gold, but then in the description the auction says it is silver in color. I just want to buy and make sure I am getting the new one. Thanks.
    As far as I am aware, Kipon make two adaptors for contax g:

- one with a small thumbwheel
    - one with a big knurled ring around the adaptor body.

The ring is available in gold and in chrome/silver I believe.

It's worth considering that there may be sample variation between adaptors and between lenses and there is no guarantee that because both my Kipon adapators work smoothly with both my contax lenses that the same will apply to every lens/adaptor combo. These things are aways a gamble (although it has to be said I have bought a dozen or adaptors from ebay for various cameras and mounts and every one has worked well, even the ones that cost 6!).

David

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    ... Ocean I will drop you a PM later tonight.
    Robert,

Would love to hear from you...

Cheers,

famendo

How does one tell the difference between a Kipon Generation 1,2, and 3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by famendo View Post
    How does one tell the difference between a Kipon Generation 1,2, and 3?
    The third generation adapter is the one with a focusing ring, so it is easy to differentiate between that one and the two others. There is another ring focusing adapter around, but the Kipon brand name is not written on the ring.

It may be more difficult to differentiate between the first and second generation. The one I got from Roxsen on Ebay said it was a second generation adapter with a bigger gearwheel. From what Iv'e read here on this list, the second generation goes from near to far faster, you yre doen with one turn of the wheel. When I got it, they were more expensive than the first generation ones. But it will progabyl be difficult to know for sure without operating them. I'd say that if the dealer doesn't say that it is a second generation adapter in the add, then it is probably a first generation one.

Before the ring adapter came out, the second generationi adapter were also more expensive. I don't know how the prices evolved since the new ring adapter is available.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Robert,

I sent you a PM, would you be so kind so as to answer?

Thanks,

Gilles

Post Thanks / Like

Look at this Metabones G to micro 4/3 adapter:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:BOC:US:1123

cblane

I've had the Monza adapter for several days now and my experience has been mixed. It's well made and my 45mm attaches easily. Focusing is mostly smooth but with a few rough spots. As I was fiddling with it I made an interesting observation. When I hold the camera upside-down the focusing is consistently smooth. It seems like the drive for the lenses need just the right pressure to turn smoothly. I noticed that the drive on the Contax G2 is spring loaded (probably to help assure the correct pressure).

I found it very difficult to mount my 90mm and finally by aligning the lens drive slot with a screwdriver I was able to mount it. Focusing is more uneven than with the 45 however I was able to get tack-sharp photos with it. I doubt I'll use the 90 much since a 180mm equivalent is a bit difficult to keep very steady on such a small light camera (GF-1).

uusunn

Just bought a Metabones Contax G - M43 adapter. It definitely looked the most promising and the fact that the ring was designed to look 'more finished' (subjective, but it looks more like a 'focusing ring' out of all the adapters on the market right now) with great reviews on the materials used really sealed the deal.

It should be shipping soon. I will post a video of the focusing action and pictures taken / pictures of it mounted with my GF1 + Zeiss Planar 45mm when I get it for the good of the platform and lens. I will make a site profiling the Metabones adapter (and others for review if anyone such as Monza is interested) for anyone looking to buy or sell, so as to streamline the whole experience of adapter hunting for these incredible Contax G lenses. I'm making what I wish I had to base my decisions off of when buying an adapter for my GF1.

Hopefully this will make things a lot easier for people looking to put in some money towards the lenses, but not sure on which adapters to go for.

A little more about the metabones adapter: the seller is primarily on the MU43 forums and seems to have access to these adapters. He guarantees 7-day shipping, and at 130$, it drives a harder bargain than the Kipon (most inexpensive 130$, but 2 weeks - 2 months shipping time), and the Monza for now. I have not tested the latter two adapters myself (I hope to make a reasonable case for them with the new website profile that i'm making), so for all I know, they may be worth the premiums (and as I said before, I don't know enough about them to judge.. but I hope that Monza and I can work out a 'review' unit for the good of the thread).

In the end, it all comes down to what you feel most comfortable with buying for now. In the interim, I will be designing and developing a website for GetDPI members and all M43 users looking to buy into Contax G lenses.

Coming soon!
    Last edited by uusunn; 20th July 2010 at 10:01.

uusunn

UPDATE:

Just received word from 'lasjas' (seller of the Metabones adapters) that the 28mm will fit in this one WITHOUT modifications.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uusunn View Post
    UPDATE:

Just received word from 'lasjas' (seller of the Metabones adapters) that the 28mm will fit in this one WITHOUT modifications.
    They said it will also fit 35-70 zoom lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Metabones adapter en-route to me also. Seemingly ALL G lenses will fit including the 21mm!

I'll report as soon as it arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

It will probably fit, but will the rear lens guard hit the shutter? I thought that's the reason why the rear lens guard need to be cut off or removed for the G lens wider than 35mm. Hope that no one damage their camera's shutter.

Post Thanks / Like

Metabones adapter, first day impressions:

As I have a couple of Metabones adapters already I didn't hesitate to buy a Contax G -> 4/3 adapter when it became available. Just like the ones I already have this Contax G adapter is very well made.

Adapter type: Focusing ring
    Seller: lasjashk (eBay)
    Weight: 138g

I have one Contax G lens only now, a chrome 45mm Planar. Here is what the adapter looks like on a G1 with the lens mounted:

and

and

More images of the adapter are made available by the seller, for example by looking at eBay item No 220640912872.

As you can see in these images the focusing ring is over-sized compared to the focusing ring -type adapters from lens-workshop. It is also very much easier to reach and turn than the ring was on the lens-workshop adapter I tried earlier (and described somewhere in this thread).

With this chrome-blue-black combo of colours it is easy to see what the adapter looks like. In the middle image there is an arrow pointing towards a chrome "ring". That ring is part of the adapter and will look like pictured also wit a black lens.

Thanks to sheer size and mass and perhaps something more (I haven taken the adapter apart) the focusing ring now goes more smoothly from one end to another. It is fully possible to make small adjustments as the play when switching directions is very little.

There is about 110 degrees from MFD to infinity. MFD was measured to 0.47m.

Compared to other adapters I have tried this is the best one. I would place the Kipon geared thumb wheel type adapter at second place and the Lens-workshop ring type adapter at the bottom of the short list. It is possible that Lens-workshop now have an updated focusing ring adapter, I can't say.

One drawback, this adapter is heavy. At 138g it is significantly heavier than the Kipon adapter mentioned (59g).

Cheers,

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Jonas, I wanted to go for that one and you gave me the last push needed. [Just a comment on lens-workshop a bit off-topic: I would be rather careful, as they (he) took three of my lenses for conversion and I never saw those again nor heard from them again despite my mails ... lost $$$$]

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Jonas. The Metabones adapter seems to be very well made and finally the one I don't mind trying again, in addition to my other adapters.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my Metabones adapter and, unlike Jonas, I am a little disappointed in it.

First, it was very difficult to get onto my 45mm. I was able to line up the screw part, but it took a few minutes of fiddling to get the adapter physically onto the lens. It does not come with instructions. There is a small 'slide switch' on the back of the adapter which I assume is the way to get it off the lens, but no indication as to which way it should be slid when putting it onto the lens.

Second, it is NOT as smooth as the 2nd generation Kipon adapter (with the encircling helicoid ring) in focusing. The wide ring is very nice but there still is some jerkiness to it. It is not the lens because there was no jerkiness at all with the Kipon. There is also less resistance to turning the ring than there was with the Kipon.

Third, as mentioned above it is very heavy!

It is much better however than any of the small ring type adapters that I have tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Addendum - the Metabones adapter

I should have mentioned:

Delivery time: A total of five working days from order to delivery
    Service: Excellent communication, Lasjas has always been kind and correct
    and
    Focusing ring: fine grooves - giving a good grip, not all the way around unfortunately (as seen at the top of the first image, and then of course in the last image)

Klaus, you sent Lens-workshop three lenses and then nothing?!!! Well, that would put anyone off. I'm sorry to hear that.

regards,

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Yep about $1500 worth of lenses down the drain without a word of excuse or what happened. They were sent in for mount conversion after a first successful test. But I don't want to hijack that thread here...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrosen2 View Post
    I just got my Metabones adapter and, unlike Jonas, I am a little disappointed in it.
    (...)
    Second, it is NOT as smooth as the 2nd generation Kipon adapter (with the encircling helicoid ring) in focusing. The wide ring is very nice but there still is some jerkiness to it. It is not the lens because there was no jerkiness at all with the Kipon. There is also less resistance to turning the ring than there was with the Kipon.
    (...)
    Maybe quality control problems?

As mine is smooth, not as in super smooth but smooth as in way better than the other adapters I have tried, I wonder if some oil or grease somewhere inside the adapter can make it work better for you?

Do you find the focusing ring too easy to turn?

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is easy to turn but when you stop at the spot where you are close to the final focus and try to critically adjust the focus, I find that it is jerky and requires many slight turns of the ring to get to that final sweet spot. Frequently the jerkiness causes you to overshoot and you have to try to readjust again.
    I wouldn't know where to lubricate it short of spraying the whole ring with silicone. That will require me to remove the lens from the adapter. Considering all the trouble I had installing it, I am not looking forward to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is easy to turn but when you stop at the spot where you are close to the final focus and try to critically adjust the focus, I find that it is jerky (...)
    Hmm. My combo (lens and adapter) is not like that. It's surprisingly smooth, also when doing the last critical adjustment.
    Why not contact Lasjas and ask him about it - maybe he knows about the problem? Our stories are also similar to what other users have reported on most other adapters. It seem as some combinations of adapters and lenses work better and some are worse.
    I would go through the hassle to see if something could get improved. It is always much more fun to work with equipment that feels good.

Anyway, it's good you chimed in, now the reader is warned.

regards,

/Jonas

lasjashk

Yes, it is easy to turn but when you stop at the spot where you are close to the final focus and try to critically adjust the focus, I find that it is jerky and requires many slight turns of the ring to get to that final sweet spot. Frequently the jerkiness causes you to overshoot and you have to try to readjust again.
    I wouldn't know where to lubricate it short of spraying the whole ring with silicone. That will require me to remove the lens from the adapter. Considering all the trouble I had installing it, I am not looking forward to that.
    Hi, jrosen2,
    Sorry! our adapter make you disturbed........Sorry!
    I reported this case to our designer now and i just waiting his report.
    At the first sense in your comment, i will suggest add more one indicate symbol near lock button, and then i will add a instruction manual into packing ASAP, i think it can help all user when they install it.
    For the "jerkiness" point, i think you means you feel a bit tight when focus with Lens, mainly casue is this adapter have some internal parts, many steel bearing beads inside for focus ring, it is very accurate, so it maybe a bit tight at turning when newly, for this case, we oiled and make it more smooth, thus i am sure they will more smooth compare with new time.......
    Anyway, i will follow up your case ASAP.
    I wish all my customers can happy to use our adapter and enjoy it!
    Thank you!
    Lasjas

skywalker

I don't want to make a promotion for KIPON Contax G-m4/3 adapter like some guys in this forum,both KIPON Contax G-m4/3 and Contax G-SONY NEX with big focus ring now are the best in the market,almost every dealer know KIPON is the leading adapter manufacture,even in Japan market,Japan kindai also sell KIPON brand adapter now.

if anyone have interest,can visit them at Image Brazil&Photokina

http://www.dl-kipon.com/onews.asp?id=81

http://www.dl-kipon.com/onews.asp?id=80

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    I don't want to make a promotion for KIPON Contax G-m4/3 adapter like some guys in this forum,both KIPON Contax G-m4/3 and Contax G-SONY NEX with big focus ring now are the best in the market,almost every dealer know KIPON is the leading adapter manufacture,even in Japan market,Japan kindai also sell KIPON brand adapter now.
    You don't want to make a promotion? Lol.
    As everybody knows the Kipon is the best I wonder why we have this long thread discussing also other adapters.
    Anyway, exactly what other G->4/3 adapters have you used and compared the Kipon to? Maybe a few words telling us about the differences you found?

/Jonas

skywalker

Hi Jonas,

calm down,the reason for argument always because benifit,you doubt my comment about KIPON,belowed article maybe can give us some refference.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/r...16_374350.html

http://wpfwm407.at.webry.info/201007/article_5.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    Hi Jonas,

calm down,the reason for argument always because benifit,you doubt my comment about KIPON,belowed article maybe can give us some refference.
    Well, after having read the Google translations and found that the Kipon adapter
    KIPON can attach the adapter is easily can be removed easily.
    便利になったものです。 Is more useful.
    これなら女性や初心者でも扱えるでしょう。 Amateur with women and will do that.

I no longer doubt your comment, now I doubt your sources and your own experience of these adapters, something you are not commenting at all. Just "all dealers knows".

Maybe the Kipon latest incarnation with the champagne focusing ring for better looks with leather cases really is the best. I don't know. But honestly, you don't seem to know either. Maybe that's why you "don't want to make a promotion".

/Jonas

uusunn

Just curious skywalker.. do you have any shots with the Kipon adapter? I think the most effective way to make a convincing argument for Kipon is to post shots and hands-on impressions.

You talk about 'not trying to promote', but you came on this forum with 27 posts all dedicated to spreading the gospel of Kipon with 'friends' as dealers. Personally, I trust buying from lasjas much more due to the quality of the device as well as whatever support he can provide. If your friends can come on this thread and personally stand by the products they are selling in the same manner that lasjas has reached out to the M43 community, then that's a slightly different ballgame.

I would be more interested in hearing honest personal opinions, like Jonas has said, much over 'dealer knows x, and y'. My metabones contax G adapter should be coming any day now.. impressions on that soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I received an email from Lasjashk, the seller of the Metabones adapter. He kindly will replace the adapter. We are now working on the logistics. For me to send it to him quickly for a rapid turnaround, Canada Post will charge $55.00 for express post to Hong Kong. The only other way to send to HK is via parcel post which will take a few weeks. I feel that I shouldn't have to wait weeks for the adapter so I am proposing that we ship at the same time. I am waiting for a response.

I have ABSOLUTELY no connection to Kipon. I was looking forwards to the Metabones because the concept with the wider ring seemed very sound. I am just reporting my findings comparing both. My success rate in nailing the perfect focus sweet spot is much higher with the Kipon than with the Metabone, and that one is better than the Monza. My Metabone adapter appears defective. When the new one comes, I will report on it. If there is a big difference, it brings up the question of quality control.

Post Thanks / Like

jrosen2, it's "skywalker" that's very tiresome. You can see he has posted 27 times here and, as uusunn mentions, he has promoted Kipon adapters in every single message. "I don't want to make a promotion for KIPON"... Come on, the guy is just too much and I don't think anyone mixes him up with you.

To stay on topic; I hope you and Lasjas sort it up and the question about quality control has of course already been brought up by all this.

As I mentioned I have three Metabones adapters and they are all excellent with a good tight fit and made by care, beating my Novoflex adapter for example. But something is bound to happen at some point.

regards,

/Jonas

EDIT:
    Off topic... I always thought the Royal Swedish Mail was the most expensive mail service in the world. Now I checked and a 250g signed and insured mail from Sweden to Hong Kong delivered in 5 working days is SEK 125 (CAD 18). Are you sure you got the right price?
    Last edited by Jonas; 27th July 2010 at 13:57. Reason: postal tarifs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know nothing about Kipon, other than that two adapters I got from ebay were branded Kipon. Both seem very good to me.

A couple of weeks ago I got the gold ring version and it is difficult to see how it could be significantly improved beyond making the ring wider and giving it a rubber grip. Performance of mine with my two lenses is essentially indistinguishable from a real manual focus lens. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    jrosen2, it's "skywalker" that's very tiresome. You can see he has posted 27 times here and, as uusunn mentions, he has promoted Kipon adapters in every single message. "I don't want to make a promotion for KIPON"... Come on, the guy is just too much and I don't think anyone mixes him up with you.

To stay on topic; I hope you and Lasjas sort it up and the question about quality control has of course already been brought up by all this.

As I mentioned I have three Metabones adapters and they are all excellent with a good tight fit and made by care, beating my Novoflex adapter for example. But something is bound to happen at some point.

regards,

/Jonas

EDIT:
    Off topic... I always thought the Royal Swedish Mail was the most expensive mail service in the world. Now I checked and a 250g signed and insured mail from Sweden to Hong Kong delivered in 5 working days is SEK 125 (CAD 18). Are you sure you got the right price?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by uusunn View Post
    Just curious skywalker.. do you have any shots with the Kipon adapter? I think the most effective way to make a convincing argument for Kipon is to post shots and hands-on impressions.
    Skywalker has posted many many pictures on the two Contax G threads (this one concerning the adapters and the Contax G image thread). I don't remember what kind of adapters he is using, but at least he is taking pictures with it and they are easy to find.

Concerning the adapters, they all offers roughness and can behave stiffly. This is probably largely due to the design of these lenses which were built for AF, not for MF. We are all looking for the holy graal here, but Iv'e yet to see an adapter which is unanimouly acclaimed to behave smoothly.

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to say that I have Monza's adapter with my G90/2.8 and used it a lot when I was at the Pcono Blues Festival this past weekend. In addition to my mu43 lens, I used it and a Contax 50/1.4 on an EP-1L extensively. I have posted images from this past Friday night and Saturday (some are P&S shots) at www.flickr.com/photos/novaron. Most B&W shots are from the EP-1.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Kipon's last adapter and it is quite usable. It is not as smooth as a real focusing ring as it is on the "stiff" side, but focusing does not stop in the middle of operation and there is minimal play between the lens and adapter. In hind sight, if skywalker isn't so hard selling, I would have bought this earlier instead of trying other adapters first. I am always suspicious of hard selling people.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Skywalker has posted many many pictures on the two Contax G threads (this one concerning the adapters and the Contax G image thread). I don't remember what kind of adapters he is using, but at least he is taking pictures with it and they are easy to find.

Concerning the adapters, they all offers roughness and can behave stiffly. This is probably largely due to the design of these lenses which were built for AF, not for MF. We are all looking for the holy graal here, but Iv'e yet to see an adapter which is unanimouly acclaimed to behave smoothly.

Skywalker has 27 comments posted, 26 in this thread and 1 in the NEX thread. The comments in this thread do appear to be from a seller pushing a particular product. Anything he states, for me, is suspect. He does not appear to be a 4/3rds camera user but a supplier pushing his wares.

JMHO

Agree with your second comment regarding that their is no perfect solution, holy grail, due to the design of Contax G lens for AF use.

The advice offered from uses who have actually purchased and used an adaptor carry a lot more credibility then a sales pitch.

I have the Monza adaptor, not perfect by any means, but it is usable. I have posted pictures here and in the 'Having Fun with Contax G' thread.

. . . . . hopefully members who have purchased and use an adaptor will continue to post comments regarding their experience and also post pictures in the 'Having Fun with Contax G' thread.

I believe we are looking for a solution to use these great lenses without having to continue to invest a lot of money and time trying multiple adaptors.

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My adaptors have no stiffness, roughness or jerkiness of any kind. They both operate as smoothly as native manual focusing lenses. The gold ring one has the kind of precise smoothness you normally associate with a ball bearing race, I couldn't fault it.

The fact that there appears to be so much variation in performance of adaptors might reflect manufacturing tolerances but I suspect it might also be the lenses themselves.

Perhaps a fortuitous good match between lens and adaptor is the explanation of those who get good results - and vice versa - rather than anything instrinsic to the adaptors?

Post Thanks / Like

(...)
    27 posts, no images that I found with a quick search but he mentions Kipon in every single post.
    I would say he is a spammer and my guess is you mixed him up with somebody else.

regards,

/Jonas