Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

kvarnelis,
    Those photos that you posted are some of the largest I have seen on this website. Are they 100% blowups? When the shutter speed is appropriately maintained, do you see a significant sharpness difference with the 45mm and 90mm lenses with the adapter on a m4/3 camera vs what it is with the Contax G1 or Contax G2? I was hoping to use my 45 CZ lens for portraits and the 90mm CZ lens as a telephone. On my Contax G2 these lenses are extraordinarily sharp.

Post Thanks / Like

kvarnelis,
    At what aperture opening are the 45mm images taken?

(I think you should post smaller images, say about 800 pixels on the long side, then ad crops to make a point in cases like this)

thank you,

/Jonas

kvarnelis

Sorry if they're too large. They are at 100% size, linked from my flickr site. We can try again next time, but too much fiddling would discourage me.

I do think that the Contax G2 was sharper. I've published a lot of photos with that set-up in books by a top art and architecture photographer without any questions (normally they would have expected medium format at least). Are they the miraculous images I got from the G2? No. Are they good. Yes. Am I happier than I've ever been with my Canon 5D rig? Yes. Is this a tiny camera, significantly smaller than the G2? Yes. Its not for my pocket, but its fine in my shoulder bag. I do get annoyed by the doubled focal length though. There's no way to go beyond that.

The 90mm does make a pretty wild telephoto. I highly recommend wireless flash adapters like the cactus v4 series with the 35 or the 45. I get great results that way.

For some reason, I suspect the 35 is not as sharp on this adapter as the 45 or the 90. I am not sure why. Maybe somebody else could explain.

Alas, I'm not sure what what aperture opening the 45mm images were taken. I'd guess somewhere between 5.6 and 8 since there wouldn't have been enough light for anything smaller.

Would I buy these lenses if I didn't have them? I don't know. Would I buy the GF-1 and the adapter if I had them? Yes. Will I buy Monza's adapter if the focus is easier or if it supports 21 or 28mm? Yes, of course.

mintra

I want one of these adaptors, I like the look of the Olympus pen, I love my g2 but I keep forgetting to get my films developed.

I can see the item listed from china on ebay from ginfinance, but what is this talk from monza any result yet, and how about some idea of cost and where to buy.

I think I can learn to manual focus

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that the G adapter is a bit more complex to make than what monza initially expects, and this probably is the reason for delay and lack of new information. Just speculating.

I noticed that RJ has reduced the price of their G adapter by $10. If I sit tight a bit more, the price may even come down more . As I am pretty happy with my Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2, I am in big rush to buy any G adapter to use my G 45/2.8.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

No, not really more complex than anticipated. Currently fine tuning the gearing with a specialty gear manufacturer, should have more to report next week.

This adapter will cost more than the RJ adapter, as the gearing has rather pricey tooling. It's important to have smooth operation with minimal revolutions and just the right amount of effort...not too easy to turn, but not too difficult.

It will be well worth the effort, the 35, 45, and 90 are very well matched to micro 4/3 and all are exceptional glass. The 35-70 zoom will work as well, not a common lens but a nice range. Thanks for everyone's interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you monza. I will definitely check back next week for the news of your new adapter. It will be nice to have some idea of your price (i.e. ~ 2X or 3X price of RJ adapter?) and the very rough estimate of the delivery date of your adapter. One of these days I have to make a decision regarding the G adapter .
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

kvarnelis

The firmware update has been a huge difference, making focus really easy on the GF-1. Even with jinfinance's adapter, I'm back to shooting contax prime with a small camera. I'm waiting for Monza's adapter as well as jinfinance's second adapter which should allow use of the fabled 28mm biogon (the best lens I've ever used).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kvarnelis,

My favorite lenses was the 21mm because it was an incredibly sharp 21mm and had a wonderful perspective. I do not think I will like or use it as much when it is a 42mm. I think I will like to use 28mm at 56mm when an adapter is available for that lens. The 45mm at 90mm should make a fine portrait lens and the 90mm at 180mm should be a nice telephone lenses. I am looking forward to using my CZ lenses again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Juat a few days ago, a Contax G to MFT adapter finally reached my mailbox from RJ of Jinfance in Shanghai. I post three images showing Contax G lenses on my Lumix G1 (21mm Biogon, 28mm Biogon, and 45mm Planar). Snapshots taken with these lenses exceed my expectations in terms of color quality and sharpness. Kind regards, Leica 77.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    Juat a few days ago, a Contax G to MFT adapter finally reached my mailbox from RJ of Jinfance in Shanghai. I post three images showing Contax G lenses on my Lumix G1 (21mm Biogon, 28mm Biogon, and 45mm Planar). Snapshots taken with these lenses exceed my expectations in terms of color quality and sharpness. Kind regards, Leica 77.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2683/...17c849c3_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2683/...5b8ce631_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2740/...8bd5ebaf_o.jpg
    They all look beautiful.

I'm most curious about the performance and fitment of the 21 and 28 mm lenses. The adapters I saw on Ebay from RJ were stated to be for the 35, 45 and 90mm lenses ... his auctions there said that the 21 and 28 would not fit as they needed more clearance.

I had both the 21 and 28 when I had the Contax G2 system some years ago. Sold it all off as I didn't like the G2 body all that much (preferred the Leica M), but the Zeiss lenses were superb. I could see myself with the 21/2.8 and 45/2 again if they perform well on digital...

Although I was about to press the button and order the Lumix G 20/1.7, and was planning to buy the Macro-Elmarit 45 in the (hopefully) near future, this is a tempting possibility.

Ah, choices. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Leica 77. I do not have any doubt about the beautiful saturation and contrast from those Contax lenses. Just very concern about how tough to use the focus wheel of the RJ adapter. How did you fit the 21f1.8 on your G1? Did you have to shave part of the rear guard off?
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    They all look beautiful.

I'm most curious about the performance and fitment of the 21 and 28 mm lenses. The adapters I saw on Ebay from RJ were stated to be for the 35, 45 and 90mm lenses ... his auctions there said that the 21 and 28 would not fit as they needed more clearance.

I had both the 21 and 28 when I had the Contax G2 system some years ago. Sold it all off as I didn't like the G2 body all that much (preferred the Leica M), but the Zeiss lenses were superb. I could see myself with the 21/2.8 and 45/2 again if they perform well on digital...

Although I was about to press the button and order the Lumix G 20/1.7, and was planning to buy the Macro-Elmarit 45 in the (hopefully) near future, this is a tempting possibility.

Ah, choices. ;-)
    Hi Godfrey,

Many thanks for your informative comments. After shaving off the lens guards in the rear of the lens, the 21 and 28mm G lenses have a pretty good fit. When I have a chance, I shall post snapshots taken by some of these Contax G lenses. Cheers! Leica 77.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    Thank you Leica 77. I do not have any doubt about the beautiful saturation and contrast from those Contax lenses. Just very concern about how tough to use the focus wheel of the RJ adapter. How did you fit the 21f1.8 on your G1? Did you have to shave part of the rear guard off?
    Hi,

Greetings, my friend! Though the focusing wheel is relatively small and it is in such an unconventional place on the left bottom side of the lens, I got used to it very quickly. The small focusing wheel enables me to do fine focusing, which I believe is a nice feature. As mentioned above in my reply to Godfrey, I shaved off the rear lens guards of both 21 and 28 mm G lenses. You are quite right about the beautiful saturation and contast produced by these Contax G lenses! Happy Holidays! Leica 77.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lumix G1 + Contax G 28mm Biogon via adapter. "Nikon SP on top of a magazine". Natural Lighting. Thank you. Leica 77.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica77,

I do appreciate your discussion that the 21 and 28 can be used with the adapter provided that the protectors are shaved off. I am, however, confused. I am trying to reconcile your comments with the discussion in the following thread http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/831385 . Some of the posts in that thread indicate that the 28mm was not all that sharp with the Panasonic G sensor because the sensor was unable not to adequately handle the angle of the light from the 28 and 21mm. But it was better when the f stop was 5.6 or smaller. The one photo that you posted on #65 looks sharp. What is your experience with the 21 and 28mm? Please post additional photos taken with the 21 and 28mm on the Panny G-- to review? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Leica77,

I do appreciate your discussion that the 21 and 28 can be used with the adapter provided that the protectors are shaved off. I am, however, confused. I am trying to reconcile your comments with the discussion in the following thread http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/831385 . Some of the posts in that thread indicate that the 28mm was not all that sharp with the Panasonic G sensor because the sensor was unable not to adequately handle the angle of the light from the 28 and 21mm. But it was better when the f stop was 5.6 or smaller. The one photo that you posted on #65 looks sharp. What is your experience with the 21 and 28mm? Please post additional photos taken with the 21 and 28mm on the Panny G-- to review? Thank you.
    Hi Howard,

Thanks so much for your comments and a discussion presented in the above thread. As per your request, I will post additional digital images recorded with the 21 and 28mm Contax G lenses in the near future. There is no doubt that I will be using these lenses on my Lumix G1 during the upcoming holidays! Best wishes for the Holiday Season! Leica 77.

mintra

Wink Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

I seem to have aquired an olympus pen body from the semi-monopoly auction site no lens, so obviously I am keen to get an adapter for my G series lenses.

I am trying to visualise what the monza solution would be like, it does occur to me that
    a full ring all the way around the lens turning the little gear would be neat.

As often with materialist purchases the anticipation of the solution is of the a major part of the pleasure I can probably wait.

However I am sure as the monza device hits the shelf, the fully motorised rangfinder attachment will become available

What I would like to know is are the m43 connector pin outs documented anywhere,
    and the protocols or is this a closed shop standard, describing itself as an open standard?

If it was all there we could get more than just a mechanical addition of these other lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I would doubt the pinouts are available unless one is a member of the micro 4/3 consortium. But they could be reverse engineered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mintra,

I think that for the foreseeable future, the fully motorized rangefinder attachment will be called the "finger". I waited so long for an adapter so that I could use my Contax G lenses, not only do we have one that works that is currently available, but in a short while we will have second improved model that Monza is currently engineering. Is this a great time to be alive?

kvarnelis

I'd love to do have the 21 and 28 on my GF-1, but I'm unwilling to do the shaving.

Not sure why I never liked the 21, maybe it was just too wide, but I always preferred the 28. On the other hand, getting a good 42 for the GF-1 would be wonderful. Wonder if I need to buy two more lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    ... I waited so long for an adapter so that I could use my Contax G lenses, not only do we have one that works that is currently available ... Is this a great time to be alive?
    Hi Howard,

Likewise, I also waited so long for a Contax G - Micro 4/3 lens adapter and it is indeed a great time to be alive. Many years ago, I was a member of an international research team that spent several field seasons in Africa under the auspices of the USNSF. A few years after the end of the research in Africa, I acquired a couple of vintage maps of Africa from an antique shop in Australia. I post two images of one of the maps, recorded by the Contax G 28mm lens:

Lumix G1 + Contax G 28mm via Adapter. F11. 1/125 sec. ISO 800. Natural Lighting.

Lumix G1 + Contax G 28mm via Adapter. F4. 1/60 sec. ISO 100. Natural Lighting.

Kind regards, Leica 77.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lumix G1 + Contax G Biogon 21mm via Adapter. F5.6. 1/60 sec. ISO 200. Natural Lighting.

Kind regards, Leica 77.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lumix G1 + Contax G Biogon 21mm via Adapter. F5.6. 1/200 sec. ISO 200. "Vintage Map of Asia". Natural Lighting.

Happy Holidays! Leica 77.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Leica77,

ok, you've got my interest piqued.
    how difficult is it to remove the shields on the back of 21/2.8 so it fits?
    how did you remove them?

Astigmat

Yes, I'm getting excited as well. How does one remove the protectors on the back of the Contax G 28MM? And in doing so will this work on an Oly EP1 and focus to infinity? Since the rear element sits so close to the sensor would shooting wide open result in objectionable soft corners.
    Astigmat

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The protectors have to be trimmed or snipped, by just a bit, on the 21 and 28. On the 35-70, they can be removed by taking out four screws.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The protectors have to be trimmed or snipped, by just a bit, on the 21 and 28.
    Is there a "sweet spot" where enough has been removed to fit on m4/3, but enough is left behind to still be able to protect the rear element?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, no...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica77,

Thank you for posting the photos. While my favorite lens with the G2 is the 21mm, at 42mm on the Panny G1, it is comparable to the 20 1.7mm that I just bought that is pretty sharp and totally integrated with the G1. I am hesitant to shave off any of the lens protector as I would diminish its resale value.

The 28mm and 45mm are another story as they translate to 56mm or 90mm on the Panny G1, respectively both fit a gap in the current Panny/Olympus lens offerings. In addition, the 90mm at 180mm on the Panny G1 also works very well as a telephoto.

The adapter currently available is workable and I expect Monza's adapter to be even better with larger, more responsive dial. After I get these lenses working with the G1, I may sell my G2 and 21mm biogon to finance a Panny 7-14mm, hopefully with money left over. Life is great and getting better. What an exciting thread!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The protectors have to be trimmed or snipped, by just a bit, on the 21 and 28. On the 35-70, they can be removed by taking out four screws.
    Could anyone post a photo of the 21mm lens with protectors trimmed?

I'm considering whether it makes any sense to buy a Biogon 21/2.8 and adapter in lieu of the Lumix G 20/1.7. I haven't got either one at present. I'd also like to see more photos made with it..

The Biogon 21 plus adapter is a more expensive purchase. it has to perform pretty darn well to be worth the price premium and bother of modification over the G 20 lens. I'm interested because in some ways I do prefer a manual lens, but there are limits.

I know I'll most likely just order the G20/1.7. ;-)

That Sonnar 90/2.8, on the other hand, might be irresistible!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, the 21 as you know is a great lens, but it's costs at 50% more than the 20/1.7 and is slower to boot. And you will not sharpness all the way to the edge, it will have corner smearing. That is acceptable to some people, others, not so much.

In my case, I still shoot with my Contax G2, and plan to use the 21 with film for the wide angle. I don't plan to use it on my Panny G1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much as expected here, monza. It's an enticing fantasy, but I expect pretty surely that the G 20/1.7 is going to be the winner in this focal length range for these cameras.

I haven't shot film seriously since 2003ish, and only do so for occasional entertainment nowadays and because I have a ton of the stuff still in the freezer. It'll probably last me the rest of my life!

kvarnelis

There is absolutely no need to snip anything (or even anything I can see to snip) on the 35, 45, or 90 lenses, at least not with the jinfinance adapter.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, these lenses do not have extended rear elements, so they have no protectors.

Post Thanks / Like

monza, any news on your new G adapter? Thanks.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen, looking at next week when we'll have the first gear sets. More info soon. Thanks for everyone's interest.

mintra

I got my olympus pen looks great. The large LCD panel gives a clear image of the back of the black plastic disc on the front of the camera.

I have found that if I remove the black disc from the front of the camera there is some sort of thread.

Has anyone got any idea what is meant to fit in here?

plupcoutrielo

Contax G to MFT adapter anyone

everybody.

Im about to buy a G7 as a back-up to DSLR, and was just wondering if there is anything particular about filter adapter rings with the cameras new self-capping design. Can anyone recommend a good quality/value adapter ring for the G7? I already have 58mm CPLs, can I use them hassle free on the G7?

Thanks

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Contax G 45/2 Planar, 1/4s @ f/2, ISO 100, G1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Monza,

Does your photo mean that you have the first production copy of the Contax G adapter to the M4/3?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Howard, testing a revised brass gear design, looking good for production now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought an adapter.
    Can someone post photos of the trimmed 28mm lens?

Thanks in advance.

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

mintra

Revised brass gear design

Sounds expensive, almost steampunk

Look forward to seeing it

Post Thanks / Like

I have decided to wait until early next year to get a G adapter. Hopefully I will have a choice by then. So far, only the RJ adapter is available and its price is good enough to try it out.

Btw, I have found another source for M43 adapters that are priced even a lot less than the RJ adapters. The seller is relatively new and I have not deal with him before. On pictures, his adapters look good. I am hoping that he will come out with his version of G adapter in the near future. Competition is good for consumers .

http://shop.ebay.com/rainbowimaging/...dkw=&_osacat=0
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    Btw, I have found another source for M43 adapters that are priced even a lot less than the RJ adapters. The seller is relatively new and I have not deal with him before.
    I have a Leica-M adaptor from rainbowimaging, bought on the evilbay.
    Good deal, fast delivery, ... no problem at all !

C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I have the Fotodiox adapter. I tried the 35mm lens. Focusing is sometimes easy, sometimes shows resistance around the middle of the range.

Now, how am I going to remove the lens from the adapter?
    Thats difficult.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

To remove the adapter, press the lens release lever in the opposite direction and then turn the adapter. Basically, you have to press the lens release lever in one direction to release the lens from the camera body and the opposite direction to release the adapter from the lens. Unfortunately, fotodiox does not come with any kind of instructions. I hope this helps.

I also found that the adapter was not very pleasant to use because of the somewhat awkward position of the focusing wheel and the unevenly smooth movement of that wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    OK, I have the Fotodiox adapter. I tried the 35mm lens. Focusing is sometimes easy, sometimes shows resistance around the middle of the range.

Now, how am I going to remove the lens from the adapter?
    Thats difficult.
    I am not aware of a G adapter from Fotodiox. Checking their website, I could not find the information either. Can you post a link to the Fotodiox Contax G adapter please? Thank you.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

koji

Stephen,

Check this > http://cgi.ebay.com/Fotodiox-Pro-Con...ht_7665wt_1167

Or eBay item # 360209331696