The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

slau

It may be a week before it arrives but I'll certainly post my opinion and some results once it does. You've hit the nail on the head about the trade-off between focusing speed and precision. I'm intending to order Robert's adapter as well because the Department of Rationalization and Self-Justification raised that issue a split second after I wrote my earlier comment.
So far, I have bought more than 5 adapters from RJ and have been happy about the products. The shipping to Canada is usually about two weeks plus.

Slow (but usually more precise) focusing is not a problem for landscape type of shots but I also like to be able to use my Contax G lenses for other shootings that would require faster focusing. That is why I am holding back on buying the RJ adapter.

Howard

This thread is very exciting. Like Monza, the CZ Contax G lenses were my favorite lens, with the 21mm my all time favorite. I will ultimately buy the panny 20mm 1.7 lens when supplies become available in quantity which will do what a 21mm will do on the M4/3. I am interested in the adapter and saw the Jinfinance version on e-bay, but would be more interested in the a geared one with less wheel turning. Does anyone know when the geared one would be available? If the the wait is for the geared version too long, I will order the Jinfinance adapter.

With the Jinfinance version, does the manual focus properly when you rotate the little wheel?

slau

This thread is very exciting. Like Monza, the CZ Contax G lenses were my favorite lens, with the 21mm my all time favorite. I will ultimately buy the panny 20mm 1.7 lens when supplies become available in quantity which will do what a 21mm will do on the M4/3. I am interested in the adapter and saw the Jinfinance version on e-bay, but would be more interested in the a geared one with less wheel turning. Does anyone know when the geared one would be available? If the the wait is for the geared version too long, I will order the Jinfinance adapter.

With the Jinfinance version, does the manual focus properly when you rotate the little wheel?
It is too bad that any lens wider than 35 mm cannot used on the current RJ G adapter. It has been mentioned that another adapter for 'wider' (than 35 mm) G lenses may be available later, but infinity will not be possible with the 'wide' adapter.

I was told that focus is pretty precise and you can focus to infinity (actually a little bit pass infinity) with the current RJ G adapter. As the adapter has been only available for a few days, we may have to wait a week or two to get some actual user report. I have my 45 & 90 dusted off and cleaned up, and I am ready to go.

monza

The wider lenses will work at infinity if the little 'ears' are trimmed at the back of the lens. These protect the rear element (somewhat) but they interfere with the baffle inside the shutter chamber on micro 4/3. If you don't care about modifying these, all the G lenses will fit and focus to infinity. Trimming of course must be done carefully to avoid any damage to the extended rear elements.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The wider lenses will work at infinity if the little 'ears' are trimmed at the back of the lens. These protect the rear element (somewhat) but they interfere with the baffle inside the shutter chamber on micro 4/3. If you don't care about modifying these, all the G lenses will fit and focus to infinity. Trimming of course must be done carefully to avoid any damage to the extended rear elements.
Sounds like you might be thinking about offering an ear trimming service. :ROTFL:

Howard

The Contax G 21mm is substantially equivalent to the Panny 20mm 1.7, which will AF with the m4/3 cameras. The thing I loved about the Contax G 21mm is the IQ and perspective; since the m4/3 doubles the 21mm focal length, it becomes a 42mm lens. For my WA shots, I ultimately may purchase the Panny WA zoom,. From what I read it is small and capable. But again, I have always been a fan of primes.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The Contax G 21mm is substantially equivalent to the Panny 20mm 1.7, which will AF with the m4/3 cameras. The thing I loved about the Contax G 21mm is the IQ and perspective; since the m4/3 doubles the 21mm focal length, it becomes a 42mm lens. For my WA shots, I ultimately may purchase the Panny WA zoom,. From what I read it is small and capable. But again, I have always been a fan of primes.
Currently there's an interesting discussion about using wide lenses (including the Contax G21/2.8) on m4/3rds cameras in the Alternative Gear and Lenses Forum at FredMiranda.com.

Howard

Jonathan,
Thanks for the reference. After reading the discussion in the FM forum, I do not think my Contax G 21mm will work on my Panny G. I think my best bet will be the Panny 20mm 1.7 and in the future a Panny WA zoom (small, light and capable.) I think I read that Panny will produce a 14mm lens (28mm - 35 equivalent) and I would like a 20 or 21mm wa - 35 equivalent.

slau

I have been using the Panasonic 20f1.7 which is a very nice lens and fits the G1/GH1 perfectly. I am not sure if my Contax G28 can be noticeably better than the 20f1.7. In addition, the in-camera correction works very good to minimize the distortion from typical wide angle lens like the 20f1.7.

Howard

Stephen,
Your experience confirms all the positive things that I heard about the Panny 20mm 1.7. Thank you.

Audii-Dudii

As a sidenote, the 45mm/f2.8 Tessar lens for Contax/Yashica SLRs is also quite a nice performer on a 4/3-format camera. I love mine for portraits, but I tend to photograph using wide angles much of the time, so it doesn't see a lot of use these days...

Z

Ziggie

This geared adapter interests me also. One related question though. Does anyone know if the manual focus assist (i.e. enlargement of the image on screen) on the Lumix G1 can be used with old legacy lenses of this kind? It kicks in when I move the focus ring on my legacy Olympus 4/3 lenses but as there will be no electronic connection on old manual lenses I wonder if there is a workaround for this. It doesn't look like it can be mapped to the Function button. Anyone?

Yes, you push the focus mode button, then menu/set. With a bit of practice, all it takes is a quick roll of the thumb. Normal view is restored with a half-press of the shutter release.

A

apras

wow i am looking forward to your adapter monza. already bought the 28mm and 90mm a few months ago, and searching for a contax G1. guess i don't need G1 anymore. now i need to look for a 45mm.

slau

Any new information or development on this G adapter? Someone must be using the RJ adapter by now. 55 adapters have been sold so far.

Last edited:

monza

Yes, testing is underway, things look good so far. Pushing the manufacturer for a quick turn. Stay tuned. :)