Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by koji View Post
    Stephen,

Check this > http://cgi.ebay.com/Fotodiox-Pro-Con...ht_7665wt_1167

Or eBay item # 360209331696
    Thank you very much. This site is wonderful for good information.

Their adapter looks almost identical to the one by RJ and definitely the same idea. I am still waiting to see monza's adapter and its price. Decision will be made soon and my G lenses will be seeing daylight again .
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's to 2010 and a Happy New Year that will bring us soon a very good adapter for us to use our Contax G CZ lenses on our M4/3 cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Here's to 2010 and a Happy New Year that will bring us soon a very good adapter for us to use our Contax G CZ lenses on our M4/3 cameras.
    Second that Howard - Have a good new year Monza!

raymondluo

I'm very interested in this geared thumbwheel adapter, it it turns out usable for my work I would be so psyched to use Contax G lenses for video work.

FaradayCage

Brand new lurker here... I want to be another potential customer for Monza's Contax G adapter ring. I can't wait to breathe digital life into my G lenses. What I've seen so far on the web where some have shot digitally with G glass is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lau,

I bought it from amazon.com. I don`t know if they have it in Canada.

The link is here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

After a few tries, one gets used to take out the lens. The small wheel, little stiff at first, is very nice after taking a few photos.

Best wishes to everyone for the new year.

Seyhun

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    I am not aware of a G adapter from Fotodiox. Checking their website, I could not find the information either. Can you post a link to the Fotodiox Contax G adapter please? Thank you.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good luck with your adapter. At this point I am waiting for the larger geared version from Monza. I have waited for several years to use my Contax G lenses, I will wait a bit longer. In any case: Happy New Year!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info, Seyhun.

I have been waiting for monza's adapter since the beginning of November, and it does not bother me too much to wait another month or so. I have enough other lenses to use with my G1/GH1 to keep me entertained for some time .
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lumix GF1 + Contax G (Carl Zeiss) 28mm Biogon via adapter.

Sample Image by the Above Set Up: Lumix G 20mm Lens on top of Lumix GF1 Kit Box. 1/80 sec. F8. ISO 400. Natural Light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Leica 77;171002]Lumix GF1 + Contax G (Carl Zeiss) 28mm Biogon via adapter.

Looks great on camera. Do you have another image that better illustrates how far the lens protrudes from the body? Perhaps a top down?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lumix GF1 + Contax G (Carl Zeiss) 28mm Biogon via adapter.
    Looks great on camera. Do you have another image that better illustrates how far the lens protrudes from the body? Perhaps a top down?
    Hi Show Performance,
    Here are a couple of images comparing the lens protrusion -- Contax G 28mm Biogon vs Lumix 20mm. Cheers! Leica 77.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    Hi Show Performance,
    Here are a couple of images comparing the lens protrusion -- Contax G 28mm Biogon vs Lumix 20mm. Cheers! Leica 77.
    ]
    Thanks! That adapter sure is low profile...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Leica 77. The G adapter looks like the M adapter in size. That also kind of explains why the little focus wheel will take a bit to get use to.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Monza,
    Any update as to when the adapter that you are developing will be ready for production.

Howard

tonyjuliano

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Monza,
    Any update as to when the adapter that you are developing will be ready for production.

Howard
    Wow! I'm a lucky guy.

Just got my e-p2 yesterday, and own an entire G2 kit. Would love to use some of this great glass on the Oly.

I'm definitely lucky I stumbled upon this thread. Anxious to hear any new developments.

Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed that one more eBay seller is marketing the G adpater. His adapter is very similar to the other two current adapter design:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Contax-G-Mount-L...ht_2301wt_1167

I am almost there to make a decision. Hate to do that but I cannot wait forever, and I have been very patient.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

I am amazed that there is one more new G adapter at eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Contax-G-Lens-to...item4838c7dab3

As a consumer myself, I love competition by sellers .
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

If you need one now, buy it.

The geared adapter is starting production, some of the parts are already built. Will post more info when there is more info to post.

tonyjuliano

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    If you need one now, buy it.
    No thanks...

I'll definitely wait for the geared adapter.

I'd happily pay more money for this unit. Thank you for your efforts, and I look forward to it's release.

Is there any way to pre-order?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have waited a long time to begin using my Contax g2 CZ lenses. I will wait a little longer for a larger rotating knob geared adapter which will be more convenient and easy to use. The adapters currently available have a small knob and I believe that I would have difficulty rotating the small knob especially when my fingers get dry. I am looking forward to getting and using the adapter Monza will be manufacturing with my CZ lenses.

jungli

It's not so bad, Zeiss lenses are beautiful on m4/3, there are my babes

regards
    jungli

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jungli,

The Camera looks great with the CZ lenses. Post some photos taken with the 45 and 90mm and give us your evaluation of the adapter with the small wheel.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot wait any more and just ordered the G adapter from RJ an hour ago. Price is good enough for me to try it out and will see how much I like the G lenses on the G1/GH1. If I really like the G lenses + G1/GH1, it is not a big deal to get another adapter, providing it is significantly better. I remember that I really like the G lenses but I am not sure how much it is better than the M-Rokkor 40f2. The last time i used my G lenses was 15+ years ago.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

I've also recently received the RJ adapter and have been trying it out with my 45mm and 90mm G lenses. Prior to that I'd used the Leica M adaptor with a variety of Leica and Voigtlander lenses, and I have to say I prefer the higher contrast of the Zeiss lenses! Focussing with the little wheel hasn't been a problem at all for me. It's not quite as intuitive as reaching for the focussing ring on a Leica lens, but it's just as accurate and perfectly easy to do. The difference in contrast is striking - the Zeiss lenses really do give much richer colours which I prefer.

I'm using a Lumix G1, so no video unfortunately. Using manual focus lenses is a bit of a faff to be honest, so I can't see myself carrying a big bag of Leica lenses around all the time. But the kit lens accompanied by a Contax 90mm makes a nice small setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Snowy, thank you for the encouraging first hand information. I have also tried my other M lenses on my G1/GH1. They are fine (not 'stunning') but way too big/heavy for the small body and using the M lenses defeats the purpose of getting a small form factor. That is why I like the M-Rokkor so much as it is small and also very decent in image quality. Now, I just have to wait for the G adapter to show up.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

jungli

slau,

I had rokkor 40/2 leica M mount, it was beautiful lens on G1, it showed real 'culture' of m lenses on G1, Zeiss are different, the contrast is much stronger than m lenses, also color is more vivid and saturated, but the m lenses as rokkor-m 40/2 is more accurate and artistic, has the best things from analog times. Both are very very good.

When the G1 showed up wile ago, I tested it with FD lenses, PK lenses, AI-S lenses, AR, M43, there were no big differences, leica M lenses show me the way, and waited so long for contax G adapter, finally for me Contax G stays for long, I dont know what will show me 21 biogon, becouse it needs to 'shave' from piece of plastic, that I dont really wanna do now, better wait for new adapter.

I will try do some samples from Zeiss lenses soon.

regards
    jungli

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While the 28mm and 45 are equivalent to a 56mm and 90mm on the M4/3,respectively, my favorite 21mm biogon is equivalent to a 42mm -- almost the same as the 20mm 1.7 Panny. What I like about the 21mm on my Contax G2 is that it is 21mm not 42mm equivalent. While I would use the 28mm (56mm equivalent), the 20mm is totally integrated with my G with AF and at this point do think the 21mm Biogon will get any use with my G.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree that the Panasonic 20f1.7 is tough to beat in terms of convenience to use, small size, AF, & image quality. I am impressed with this little lens and the contrast and color are not too far off when compared to my favorite Contax C/Y 35-70. Unless you are the one who is going after the 'absolute' pure image quality, any other lenses in the area of 20 mm have to be EXTREMELY outstanding before it will comes into my camera bag.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

wow those pics are huge!!!!

ReflectiaX

May I ask you where to buy monza's adapter? Should I send him a private message through this forum? I have several lenses for CONTAX G2 and would like to use them on E-P2.

jungli

Winter in Poland

Contax 45/2 Planar iso 100 f5.6 jpg little correction in showphoto...

and

regards
    jungli

koji

Stephen, there is an another one on the market. See this >
    http://www.dl-kipon.com/onews.asp?id=56

It seems to use double gears, probably can focus faster. But I have a bit of
    reservation to use for G-Sonnar 90mm, since it is slightly heavy to focus
    near object even using jinfinance adapter, which has a single smallish gear.
    But you never know until you use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the information, koji. It is always good to see more competition and availability of G adapters.

I will try the RJ adapter first with my three G lenses (28, 45 & 90) and see how much I like them, in terms of IQ and convenience to operate. I expect the G lenses will be used mostly for landscape type of shots where the focusing speed is not critical. I still have to wait probably couple of weeks before I can get the adapter in my hands. Did I say that I am getting sick and tired of waiting .
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Today I tried the 90mm ,45 mm and 35mm on the GF1.

90mm shines. It really does. Probably the best 90mm for the GF1. I had tried my Leica 90mm, but I like this one better (on GF1).

45mm is the best also in the 40-50mm range lenses that I have tried on the GF1.

35mm is better than my Summilux 35/1.4. Actually the Summilux is excellent on the Leica M8. But in GF1, the Contax 35/2, which is a decent lens only on the Contax G2, is superior to the Leica version on GF1. Whereas IMO, the Leica 35/2 sucks on the GF1.

About adaptors in general:

Contax to GF1 adapter (Fotodiox in my case) has some stiff areas while focusing, but gets better as you use the adapter. It still is a challange to use it.

I tried M42 lenses, Leica lenses, Nikon lenses and finally the Contax lenses on GF1. I think, unless you are a hobbyist trying to experiment, using adapters is stupid especially in the wide angle area. The camera has a 2X multiplier, and that makes all old WA lenses unusable as WA. 28mm becomes 56 mm. So what's the deal then?

I have Oly 17mm and Panasonic 20mm lenses. None of the old WA lenses can beat them. So forget about your old MF WA lenses, which are generally like 28/2.8, which you don't need in the GF1. The 20/1.7 Panasonic makes great photos, and with AF. It's also small in size. Oly 17/2.8 is also great if you need 35mm.

Because of design considerations of the film era, many excellent lenses of their times do not perform well on the GF1. I tried a few with great expectations, but the results were very unsatisfactory. (Nikkor 50/1.2, Summicron 34/2, and the list continues.). I didn't even bother to try the Contax 28mm, because even after shaving the extensions, I suspect that it will not be better than any of my Panasonic lenses anyway, and it will be a 56mm lens. Who needs that?

Therefore, unless you want to play with all your existing lenses, you don't need to buy the converters at all. Only in the 90mm case, the existing lens line up of Panasonic has no alternative with a F2 or 2.8, and therefore, with their excellent performance on the GF1, I can recommend the Contax 90/2.8 or the Leica 90/2 lenses.

On the WA side, you are better off by buying the expensive Panasonic (or for Olympus cameras, the Oly version) 7-14mm lens. These lenses are excellent..
    There are no 7-14mm lenses from the past anyway that will give you this range even with an adapter.

To summarize, unless you need excellent tele lenses, don't waste your money on adapters. Having said that, I'm still in the precess of buying all existing adapters, because I 'm a hobbyist with a lens (and camera) collection, that I want to play with.

Have a good weekend,

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

mintra

Yes but if you already have a g2 with lenses and you buy a mft camera with a lens then an adaper is not a bad idea.

The kipon adaptor does have two gears and is $140 including shipping, I am tempted but will wait and see what monza has done.

Though I dont like the idea that the chinese (kipon etc) have taken over the world of manufacturing I never did forgive the Americans for stealing the plans for the X1

Meanwhile my russian jupiter lenses work well enough for me on my pen

tonyjuliano

Quote Originally Posted by mintra View Post
    The kipon adaptor does have two gears and is $140 including shipping, I am tempted but will wait and see what monza has done.
    pen
    Could someone share the info as to where to purchase this?

Anyone have any update on the "monza" version?

Post Thanks / Like

This is the link to the Kipon adapter:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kipon-Adapter-Co...item3efc05a91f

It will be nice to have an update on the monza adapter too.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

tonyjuliano

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    This is the link to the Kipon adapter:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kipon-Adapter-Co...item3efc05a91f

It will be nice to have an update on the monza adapter too.
    Thats not $140 (including shipping)

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, Amazon has the Fotodoix adapter for $79 with free shipping. This is a $20 price drop from yesterday. Yay competition!!!

I think I'm going to get the Fotodiox for now and then see reviews for the new, nice adapter that's 2x as expensive.

Also, I picked up a 45/2 and a 90/2.8 for $200..... total!!!! Jeez, this is going to be fun

skywalker

I bought a KIPON two gears G adapter again from
    http://www.shoguncamera.com/

the old one is from RJ,really difficult to focus.

skywalker

Nice KIPON adapter hit the market,others want to clear their old version quickly.

Punchman

I have been lurking in this thread since it started. Contax G lenses were my favorite 35mm film lenses!
    Anyone using the new Kipon Adapter? How easy is it to focus? Also, anyone know approximately how much it is with standard shipping to U.S. in U.S. dollars? Thanks!

Punchman

Clarification from my above inquiry. I converted the listed price for the Kipon adapter and it comes out to $90US but don't know what they charge for standard shipping. Hopefully the pricing on all the Contax G to m4/3 adapters will come down as competition increases.

I use a few manual focus lenses with adapters on my G1 so I know the drill. I was wondering how well the wheel works on the Kipon to turn the lens when focusing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what others report.

Post Thanks / Like

Punchman, where did you find the Kipon adapter for $90??? The only Kipon's I can find are North of $150.

Post Thanks / Like

I just received my RJ G adapter this morning. It took me a bout a few minutes to learn how to use the focusing wheel. Not a problem for me. Yes, there is a certain spot that the focusing is kind of feeling stuck, but hopefully it will improves over time, on both my knowledge and the adapter. Taking off the lens from the adapter is a problem and I had to follow RJ's instruction to do that. Then all went well. Btw, I am planning to use mostly the 45/2 lens and may just leave the adapter on the lens. The 28/2.8 would requires modification that I don't want to do, and the 90/2.8 will be too long to use on my G1/GH1 without IS. Will try to use the 45/2 with at least the M-Rokkor 40/2 side-by-side.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Punchman View Post
    Clarification from my above inquiry. I converted the listed price for the Kipon adapter and it comes out to $90US but don't know what they charge for standard shipping. Hopefully the pricing on all the Contax G to m4/3 adapters will come down as competition increases.

I use a few manual focus lenses with adapters on my G1 so I know the drill. I was wondering how well the wheel works on the Kipon to turn the lens when focusing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what others report.
    OK, I was confused by all the different prices being quoted but now I think I understand what's going on.

The price for the Kipon adapter on eBay is US$169 (not $90 and not $140).

The adapter from Shogun Camera is listed for HK$700, which is approximately US$90. However, this is not marked as a Kipon adapter.

My guess is that the Shogun Camera adapter is not a Kipon adapter because:
    * it looks very different to the Kipon adapter
    * it's not described as a Kipon adapter on the Shogun Camera site
    * it's only slightly more than half the Kipon adapter's price.
    Last edited by Jonathon Delacour; 25th January 2010 at 14:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    OK, I was confused by all the different prices being quoted but now I think I understand what's going on.
    (...)
    My guess is that the Shogun Camera adapter is not a Kipon adapter because:
    * it looks very different to the Kipon adapter
    * it's not described as a Kipon adapter on the Shogun Camera site
    * it's only slightly more than half the Kipon adapter's price.
    I agree.
    The Shogun adapter is of little interest to me; I would like to try a geared adapter.
    The Kipon adapter... it's hard to tell anything about it from the eBay ad. Visiting Kipon's homesite is slighty more informative. Judging by the images of the adapter it is geared (and there is a lot of parts in it (check "News"). Their Part No: is DL-MA0047.
    Maybe it will pay-off sending them a mail and ask for a reseller list.

I have been thinking of this adapter. I don't know if it would be possible to make it but I would like an adapter with no little wheel to turn all the time. It would be nice if one could mimic a focusing ring by adding a ring round the adapter which in turn affected the small focusing cog-wheel. Maybe it is un-doable, or would become prohibitive expensive, or weak.

EDIT: I'll stay tuned for news on Monza's adapter.

/Jonas
    Last edited by Jonas; 25th January 2010 at 15:15.

skywalker

Maybe Shogun camera have some stock for old cheap version,so they didn't show the KIPON ' picture in the website,I buy KIPON G adapter from them.

Also you can review the discussion as below,

http://www.omuser.com/viewthread.php...age%3D1&page=4

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I agree.
    The Shogun adapter is of little interest to me; I would like to try a geared adapter.
    The Kipon adapter... it's hard to tell anything about it from the eBay ad. Visiting Kipon's homesite is slighty more informative. Judging by the images of the adapter it is geared (and there is a lot of parts in it (check "News"). Their Part No: is DL-MA0047.
    Maybe it will pay-off sending them a mail and ask for a reseller list.

I have been thinking of this adapter. I don't know if it would be possible to make it but I would like an adapter with no little wheel to turn all the time. It would be nice if one could mimic a focusing ring by adding a ring round the adapter which in turn affected the small focusing cog-wheel. Maybe it is un-doable, or would become prohibitive expensive, or weak.

EDIT: I'll stay tuned for news on Monza's adapter.

/Jonas
    Like a number of us, I suspect, I'm also holding out for Monza's adapter. Although the Kipon adapter does look attractive and well-made.

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    Maybe Shogun camera have some stock for old cheap version,so they didn't show the KIPON ' picture in the website,I buy KIPON G adapter from them.

Also you can review the discussion as below,

http://www.omuser.com/viewthread.php...age%3D1&page=4
    Thanks for the link to the discussion. Interestingly, someone mentioned that a Japanese adapter could be expected.

However, I couldn't find any reference to the Kipon adapter on the Shogun Camera site. Could you point to the page you purchased it from? Also, if you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost?

skywalker

http://www.shoguncamera.com/index.php

you can see the price is 900HK$.