Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    http://www.shoguncamera.com/index.php

you can see the price is 900HK$.
    Color me stupid! I looked everywhere except the home page.

Thanks for the prompt reply. HK$900 is about US$116 -- more than 30% less than the US$169 eBay price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post

you can see the price is 900HK$.
    Hey,
    I think that's new for today... yesterday they had the HKD700 version there only.

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Hey,
    I think that's new for today... yesterday they had the HKD700 version there only.

/Jonas
    Then I retract my admission of stupidity!

Punchman

Thanks for the link skywalker. I guess I got confused by the earlier link posted that showed the $700HK$ model. This clears things up and tells me I have to keep waiting to read more usage reports and opinions and see if competition brings down the prices.

skywalker

I have some connection in Shanghai,many shop sell KIPON adapter there, price in China mainland all is 880 Chinese RMB,about 130$,I think the price from SHOGUN camera is the best price.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Just saved myself from buying the crappy version! $118 is pretty fair.

PS PayPal comes out to $118 after their stupid conversion rates. Ick. I hate them so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody know how long shipping takes with Shogun? I've had some places in HK get to me in 3 days, and some 3 weeks. I'm in Seattle WA.

skywalker

I found a information on the KIPON' website,

http://www.dl-kipon.com/onews.asp?id=54

they have a booth at PMA.

43eels

I tried to go to Shogun this evening, but by the time I got there it was closed. May try again to check out the Kipon adaptor. Unfortunately I just bought the Fotodiox one.

jakieff

Hi

I have a Fotodiox adapter mounted on my Planar 2/35 and I don't get it off anymore. Is there somebody having an idea of what to do ?

kind regards

Jacques

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try the way suggested by the RJ adapter? I only have the RJ adapter myself and their method works for me to take the lens of the adapter (with a bit effort). Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Contax-G-to-G1-G...ht_1896wt_1167
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

zivk

I got into the same fix. Just got my Contax G RJ adapter, and now I cannot get it off my 45mm Planar. I tried it the way shown at ebay but it won't budge at all no matter how hard I try (and I tried with all my might). Any other trick?

Also, I thought that focusing aid (with a magnified part) would work with these lenses but it doesn't. Or is there a trick to it? I had to set the camera to "shoot w/o lens"

Finally, even though it seem to focus fine on distant objects the lens is not at its infinity (minimal extension). Is that OK?

Post Thanks / Like

Zivk,
    At first, I had a bit problem taking the RJ adapter off both my 45/2 & 90/2.8. But after a bit practice runs and followed the direction from the RJ site, I can take the adapter off from both lenses with a little effort. As I won't be using my 90/2.8 too much, I just leave the adapter on my 45/2 all the time.

The focus aid works with both Panasonic and non-Panasonic lenses. What camera are you using? With the G1/GH1, it is a two button process: first press the LEFT arrow of the Cursor button and then press the MENU/SET button.

I haven't had a chance to do a infinity test with my Contax G lenes. I think the RJ adapter is designed to go a bit beyond infinity so that it makes sure that focusing at infinity is possible. If you can focus at infinity or very far away subjects, it is fine.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

zivk

I have GF-1. Thanks for the focus aid tip. It does work now and it is indeed quite easy to focus once you get used to the little wheel. I definitely like what I see!
    The adapter will not budge no matter what. I e-mailed RJ about it. At worst I will keep it on the lens forever. I won't be able to use it on Contax, but I am not using it that much anymore anyway (and can still use the wonderful 28 Biogon). And one day I may buy another adapter (Kipon?) to use with the 90. Just curious about it although I agree with you that most probably I wouldn't be using it that much. And greetings from the Northern neighbour.

Post Thanks / Like

I found it tricky at first to remove the adapter. With the lens and adapter off the camera, if you look into the lens throat you can see where the lens-release lever moves a metal tab into the slot on the lens. I found pressing the lens-release lever on mine doesn't move the tab fully out of the lens slot, so it's difficult to unmount the lens. Pushing the release lever around a bit I was able to move the tab out of the way enough to release the lens. Takes a bit of practice and it helps to see the tab moving in the slot.
    HTH

skywalker

The RJ version is the same with the Fotodiox one,maybe the same manufacture.

if you use KIPON G adapter,you can take off the lens very smoothly,much much better than the one in your hand.

For Monza' G ,I don't know if he still have interesting to develope it,for the KIPON price is not high,so many parts inside the adapter,the cost is difficult to control.

zivk

Hurrah, I did it! Thanks! RJ also responded with encouragement and by repeating his existing instructions. This motivated me to try again, this time with a tiny screwdriver inserted into the whole left when pressing the lever down. Maybe with time I will learn to do it without the screwdriver. But it's OK with me since I am most likely to just keep it on the 45mm. And then buy the Kipon (since Monza is obviously not responding to inquiries) when I have the money. I find that focusing even with the tiny wheel is not that difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... and the photos I get with the 45mm and 90 mm are fantastic.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I am taking my 45/2 for a one week vacation, in addition to my 14-140 & 20/1.7.

It is almost second nature for me now to use the small wheel on the RJ adapter for focusing. The whole trick is how to position your hand used for focusing.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

zivk

Hey, why don't we start posting photos made with Contax G lenses here (or open a new thread)? I am itching to start using them. Only, I will have to be very imaginative given that I live in dirty snow-covered Edmonton

jakieff

@slau, @snowy

thanks for the link an the help.
    The method of snowy finally worked. I had to push the lever around a bit an then with a bit of force it came off.

I'm not really excited about the quality of this adapter as the little screw for adjusting the focus doesn't turn smoothly either

Jacques

Post Thanks / Like

Could somebody post some shots (large resolution) of this combo? I'm STILL waiting on the Kippon adapter. The wait is maddening!!!

moronaba

I am a long time Contax G fanatic and this thread finally convinced me to get a G1 so that I could continue to enjoy the magic of Zeiss lenses -- without chemicals and scanning. Although I had intended to wait for Monza's mysterious adapter, my impatience (and free Prime shipping from Amazon) forced me to get the Fotodiox adapter. First impressions were that it was total crap. I could barely turn the dial and fine focus was nearly impossible. Being a self-professed engineer, I disassembled the adapter to see if I could improve the performance. Long story short, I finally resolved the issue. I found that the inner retaining ring (think very thin metal with 4 small bends to keep the lens tight in the adapter and sandwiched between the G mount and the m43 mount) had a protrusion used to align the ring with the adapters. The protrusion is pencil lead thin and located directly opposite the focusing gear. On my adapter, this protrusion was too long and caused the slightest tilt of the lens towards the gear -- and therefore caused the gear to bind. It was not an obvious fix -- I took the thing apart a dozen times before I figured it out. I ended up snapping mine off, but I think a quick sanding would have been sufficient. The result was immediate and both the 45 and 90 focus easily and smoothly throughout their ranges.

Now, with a working adapter, I have come to have a newfound respect for the focusing ability of the G cameras. In particular, the 90 requires very careful effort to obtain the razor sharp focus that we all know these lenses are capable of -- especially wide open at less then 10 meters. I think the years of negative reports about the focusing ability of the 90 were simply unfair given the high percentage of super sharp images that I achieved with my Contax G1 versus my Panasonic G1 -- I love the fact they have the same name. I have been too busy to do any serious shooting, but I am finding that my proficiency at chasing my kids around the house is improving daily. Here are a few shots where I have tried for the razor sharp eyes with everything else moving towards zeiss-bokeh.

Attachment 27401

Attachment 27400

Attachment 27399

I must confess that I am beyond thrilled to be back in the Contax G world and look forward to continual improvements in m43 cameras to use with these great lenses. Thanks so much for keeping this thread going.

Cheers,

Philip

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Philip,

Thank you for posting such sharp photos as well as indicating your evaluation of and fix it instructions for the Fotodiox adapter. I, too, am waiting for Monza's adapter and I hope that he posts some indication when he anticipates that his adapters will be available for those waiting impatiently.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks much Philip, lovely portraits you have there!

I'm just DYING at this point. I ordered my adapter over a week ago and have had a 45/2 and 90/2.8 sitting useless on my desk. It's a crime!

It'll be interesting to see the focusing ability of the Kipon. It looks top-notch, but we'll see. Perhaps Monza will make some crazy breakthrough and I'll be waiting another few weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy View Post
    (...)
    I'm just DYING at this point. I ordered my adapter over a week ago and have had a 45/2 and 90/2.8 sitting useless on my desk. It's a crime!
    And here is a teaser:
    The Kipon adapter works very well. It's geared and with my left thumb the 45/2 goes from infinity to MFD (0.5m) with four convenient thumb movements. The focusing isn't super smooth but "smooth" for general use and smooth enough also when focusing is critical.

I haven't tried the Fotodiox adapter as I wanted a geared one. I'm also waiting for whatever Robert may come up with.

The Planar 45/2 is a great lens.

I got mine adapter (Japan-->Sweden in Europe) in three or four working days. Four days actually as it was sent with Fed-Ex and they screwed up trying ot deliver it. I went to their service point and picked it up the day after.

Check your tracking number at Fed-Ex and see where your adapter is, I guess you should have it somewhere close to you.

skywalker

KIPON begin to sell Contarex to m4/3 adapters now,

http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_...d90c026e06.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got mine adapter (Japan-->Sweden in Europe) in three or four working days. Four days actually as it was sent with Fed-Ex and they screwed up trying ot deliver it. I went to their service point and picked it up the day after.

Check your tracking number at Fed-Ex and see where your adapter is, I guess you should have it somewhere close to you.
    If you don't mind my asking, Jonas, who did you buy your Kipon adapter from and how much did it cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Kipon

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, Jonas, who did you buy your Kipon adapter from and how much did it cost?
    I'll jump in here if you want

It's sold by Breguetcamera in China for $159 - their eBay link is:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kipon-Adapter-Co...#ht_4465wt_941

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kipon

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    It's sold by Breguetcamera in China for $159(...)
    Yes, that's the only source I know of. Expensive stuff...
    Upthread you can see Kipon will be at PMA. Maybe they will sell stuff there at reduced prices?

Post Thanks / Like

Shogun still has it for $118:

Post Thanks / Like

Shogun still has it for $118:
    Darn, I forgot about that. Yes, that's better. Thank you.

jakieff

Philip

thank's a lot for your advice.
    Very nice , the pics you have posted.

Jacques

wellitry

I've been lurking for a few days. I have a G1 that has seen little use in the last few years, along with 45 & 90 mm lenses. I am considering purchasing a GF1.

I see that B&H has a Novoflex adapter for $211.90, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._to_Micro.html. Obviously much more expensive than others that have been discussed here. There is no description to explain focusing mechanism. Is anyone familiar with it?

Punchman

Wellitry, I do not believe that the Novoflex adapter you linked too is for the Contax G lenses. It will not work - allow focusing - with G lenses. It is for other Contax (non-G) lenses. The only adapters that work with the Contax G lenses are the ones designed specifically for them and discussed throughout this message thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, as Punchman says, that's a Contax/Yashica adapter which won't work with Contax G lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just got my Kipon adapter and have mixed feelings.

1) The two lenses I have are RIDICULOUSLY sharp! The 45/2 and 90/2.8 are just..... there are no words. I honestly believe the 45/2 outresolves the EP-1 sensor. I mean, just ridiculous sharpness. I'll get up a crop sample soon, but looking at 1:1 you could print a 8x10. I'm floored. I think these two lenses would be far too sharp for portraits unless you were willing to do some serious softening (or your subject has perfect skin!)

2) Focusing is a pain in the @$$!!! I can't imagine using the non-geared adapter. Perhaps it's my enormous fingers or perhaps it's because my lenses are a little stiff, but boy oh boy, it's a pain to go from MFD to infinity. I'm getting used to it, but it's very difficult.

3) After a LOT of messing about I am now able to easily get the lenses on and off. I'd never used Contax before and I think the "special" way in which lenses are mounted are what held me up, not the adapter. The adapter is very well machined and has a nice tight fit.

4) Did I mention these things are SHARP?!?! I can't believe they're as cheap as they are. I mean, they're not free, but you can pick BOTH of these up for under $400 if you look around a little.

Post Thanks / Like

The 45/2, for my money, is the best normal lens ever. I own a Contax G2 exclusively in order to use it...

zivk

I did get a chance to do some very limited testing yesterday. It was snowing and the light was very diffuse. What I noticed over several tests uniformly is that although quite good wide open, both Planar45 and Sonnar90 markedly improved one stop down (not just sharpness, contrast too) but that further stopping down didn't really improve anything (except of course the depth of field). Since having a very shallow depth of field is for me one of the primary reasons to use these lenses, my conclusion is that both are at their best at one stop down from fully open (2.8 for Planar & 4.0 for the Sonnar). You get maximum sharpness+contrast+depth of field that way - at least to my eyes. I am now very happy with the results -- I got that 3D feel I like so much with these lenses. The other thing I like is precisely the difficulty of it all (removing the RJ adapter with the little screwdriver for instance, and of course, the focusing) -- this all works to slow you down and make you more deliberate. That's one of the reasons I play with 4x5 Linhof Technika too (not mine, I borrowed it indefinitely from my anthropology department where nobody has been using for at least 15 years). What follows are the pics (nothing special as photos but good enough for preliminary testing). All were taken from approximately the same distance. GF-1 was set at 100ASA and each of the lenses was shot first at full opening with each successive shot one stop down. The last one was done with Panasonic 20mm/1.7 at f2.5 for comparison. All are RAWs developed in SYLKIPIX with no alterations (except downsizing)

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a little OVER 100% crop from the 45/2 on the EP-1 at f/2.8 and ISO200. Exported from LR with +5 clarity and +30 sharpening and detail:

This is actually not the sharpest sample, but it's kinda rude to do close up shots of a persons skin without makeup

I should note, this is how large it is when viewed 1:1 on my 1920x1200 screen. The phrase "100% crop" is probably over used and inaccurate. The "actual" full size sample can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Here's the original picture so you can get the sense of scale:

Last edited by lattiboy; 6th February 2010 at 13:47.

Post Thanks / Like

I should note, this is how large it is when viewed 1:1 on my 1920x1200 screen. The phrase "100% crop" is probably over used and inaccurate. The "actual" full size sample can be found here:
    I'm not sure I follow you there really. A 100% crop is a 100% crop, why would it be used in an inaccurate way?

I'm also happy with my Planar 45/2.

I never owned a Contax G camera but I owned this Planar for a loong time now waiting for somebody to make an adapter.

I have been working a lot lately, the weather is grey and so on, but just for the sake of it I can post this high ISO handheld thing taken in bad light at a mall:

Doesn't look like anything special at all but here is a100% crop:

If that can be done handheld at f/2, 1/45 and close distance I think it confirms my initial impression of the lens. A short but boring test series taken at home in better light was of course better.

About unmounting the lens; I think it is the mount causing problems rather than the adapter. I have no problems at all mounting and unmounting the lens (from the Kipon adapter). The first, and only, time i handled a G1 camera I had problem unmounting the lens. That's because the mount is different from all other lens mounts.

The key is to press the release tab and then, by holding the mounting ring on the lens only, swiftly turn the lens (parts of it really) about 15 degrees to the right (assuming looking at the camera and lens from the back. It is very easy to grasp other parts of the lens as well. Then one is only fighting oneself while stressing the mount and the locking tab.

/Jonas

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone with both the PL 45 2.8 and G 45 2 comment, compare bokeh and center sharpness?
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Can anyone with both the PL 45 2.8 and G 45 2 comment, compare bokeh and center sharpness?
    Hi,

I don't have both, and will never have. So, I can only give you my two cents based on indirect comparisons.

From my first, and a bit sloppy, resolution test I can say the Planar 45 has as good resolution in the center as the little Panasonic G20/1.7, maybe a tad better. At f/2 the Planar contrast may be half a notch lower, I have to do a better controlled test to see that (I had to push the Planar images half a stop as I forgot to compensate for my quick non standard setup). At f/2.8 and f/4 the Planar is as good or better than the pancake.

The pancake in turn is a notch sharper than the PL 45 2.8.

The Planar seem to hold all the way to the borders.

The Planar bokeh can be a bit busy at f/2 (this is a Zeiss after all, it is all about micro contrast). At f/2 the PL 45 2.8 doesn't do much at all...

At f/2.8 the Planar bokeh is more neutral. Also this is something I have to look closer at during the week. The PL 45 2.8 shows some bright rings and onions when looking closer at OOF highlights, I guess there is some ASPH lens elements somewhere?

But, these are different animals. A new slow macro lens with AF and AE and OIS vs a completely manual medium fast normal lens from the 90's... Now I have sold my FF stuff but for the money involved I would much rather pick up an EF100/2.8 USM MkII than the PL 45 2.8. Whatever that comment has to do with everything.

I hope somebody having both these lenses notice your request.

regards,

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Could somebody tell me how the 35/2 performs in comparison with the 45/2? The 45mm is astounding, but it's a wee bit long on the EP-1

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I follow you there really. A 100% crop is a 100% crop, why would it be used in an inaccurate way?
    /Jonas
    Well, how is a 100% crop measured? Is it 10% of the whole image, 30%? Doesn't the whole idea of a 100% crop seem weird when everybody has a different size monitor? My 1:1 view is going to be different from somebody using a 720p monitor.

I'm being serious with my questions, not condescending.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, thanks for sharing these photos. Great stuff!

I'm interested in picking up the 45mm and 90mm lenses. I'm more familiar with the Contax Zeiss C/Y mount lenses so forgive my newbie-like question on the Contax G lenses.

Is aperture and focus control hard to do with the geared m4/3 Kipon mount?

Is there a dial instead of a focus ring for these lenses?

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, how is a 100% crop measured? Is it 10% of the whole image, 30%? Doesn't the whole idea of a 100% crop seem weird when everybody has a different size monitor? My 1:1 view is going to be different from somebody using a 720p monitor.

I'm being serious with my questions, not condescending.
    The term "100%" crop is quite unambiguous -- and independent of monitor size or the size (in pixels) of the crop or of the original digital image.

You enlarge the image to 100% (or 1:1 proportion) in Photoshop/Lightroom/whatever and take a crop of the area of interest. It doesn't matter if the cropped image is (for example) 400x300 pixels or 800x600 pixels -- both of these are 100% crops because you did the crop when the magnification was set to show the actual pixels. The 100% refers to the magnification of the image when the crop was made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    The term "100%" crop is quite unambiguous -- and independent of monitor size or the size (in pixels) of the crop or of the original digital image.

You enlarge the image to 100% (or 1:1 proportion) in Photoshop/Lightroom/whatever and take a crop of the area of interest. It doesn't matter if the cropped image is (for example) 400x300 pixels or 800x600 pixels -- both of these are 100% crops because you did the crop when the magnification was set to show the actual pixels. The 100% refers to the magnification of the image when the crop was made.
    Hmmmm. I guess I understand what you're saying, but 1:1 looks different on different monitors, doesn't it? So isn't it a kind of poor universal unit of measurement? Like I said, I'm using a 1920x1200 monitor. So 1:1 magnification on my monitor is something like 1456x1120 for an M43 shot. If I were to use a 1650x1080 monitor, wouldn't the 1:1 magnification be a smaller area of the picture?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmmm. I guess I understand what you're saying, but 1:1 looks different on different monitors, doesn't it? So isn't it a kind of poor universal unit of measurement? Like I said, I'm using a 1920x1200 monitor. So 1:1 magnification on my monitor is something like 1456x1120 for an M43 shot. If I were to use a 1650x1080 monitor, wouldn't the 1:1 magnification be a smaller area of the picture?
    The Olympus m4/3 cameras (E-P1/E-P2/E-PL1) deliver a maximum image size of 4032x3024 pixels while the Panasonic m4/3 cameras (G1/GH1/GF1) produce a maximum image size of 4000x3000 pixels.

How can 1:1 magnification on your 1920x1200 monitor be 1456x1120 when the actual image size (either 4032x3024 or 4000x3000) is more than double the width and 2.5 times the height of your display?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I don't have both, and will never have. So, I can only give you my two cents based on indirect comparisons.

From my first, and a bit sloppy, resolution test I can say the Planar 45 has as good resolution in the center as the little Panasonic G20/1.7, maybe a tad better. At f/2 the Planar contrast may be half a notch lower, I have to do a better controlled test to see that (I had to push the Planar images half a stop as I forgot to compensate for my quick non standard setup). At f/2.8 and f/4 the Planar is as good or better than the pancake.

The pancake in turn is a notch sharper than the PL 45 2.8.

The Planar seem to hold all the way to the borders.

The Planar bokeh can be a bit busy at f/2 (this is a Zeiss after all, it is all about micro contrast). At f/2 the PL 45 2.8 doesn't do much at all...

At f/2.8 the Planar bokeh is more neutral. Also this is something I have to look closer at during the week. The PL 45 2.8 shows some bright rings and onions when looking closer at OOF highlights, I guess there is some ASPH lens elements somewhere?

But, these are different animals. A new slow macro lens with AF and AE and OIS vs a completely manual medium fast normal lens from the 90's... Now I have sold my FF stuff but for the money involved I would much rather pick up an EF100/2.8 USM MkII than the PL 45 2.8. Whatever that comment has to do with everything.

I hope somebody having both these lenses notice your request.

regards,

/Jonas
    Thanks for your analysis Jonas. I have both the 20 1.7 and PL 45 2.8 and I agree with your assessment of relative sharpness of these two lenses. I like the PL 45 for its primary role as a macro lens, but I'm less enthusiastic about using it for portrait and most landscape work (the exception being landscape detail). The Contax G 45 seems to be readily available at reasonable prices so I may pick one up and see for myself how it compares with the PL 45.
    Carl
    Gallery