Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Thank you, Jonas, for your detailed and objective comments.

I am happy with the RJ adapter and I probably will be happier with the other adapter. But, you yourself have to decide how to use the lens and how much you are willing to spend on the adapter. Plus, there are a lot other options out there beside the Contax G lenses.

One thing I did find out that for me, with the RJ adapter, if I place my left hand on top of the lens and use my thumb (pointing down) to turn the little focusing wheel, it works a lot better for ME. It was a bit odd at the beginning as most of us hold our lenses with our hands supporting the lens from the bottom, and focus at the same time. I hope I make myself clear without taking a picture .
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    (...) I hope I make myself clear without taking a picture .
    No, I think you have to throw in like three images on that one. The hand at the top of the lens?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    Thank you, Jonas, for your detailed and objective comments.

I am happy with the RJ adapter and I probably will be happier with the other adapter. But, you yourself have to decide how to use the lens and how much you are willing to spend on the adapter. Plus, there are a lot other options out there beside the Contax G lenses.

One thing I did find out that for me, with the RJ adapter, if I place my left hand on top of the lens and use my thumb (pointing down) to turn the little focusing wheel, it works a lot better for ME. It was a bit odd at the beginning as most of us hold our lenses with our hands supporting the lens from the bottom, and focus at the same time. I hope I make myself clear without taking a picture .
    Yes, that is the way I have been focusing also. It is a bit awkward when using portrait orientation, but one gets acclimated to these contortions after awhile.
    Carl
    Gallery

zivk

[QUOTE=Jonas

Marko,

The geared wheel (Kipon, Robert [monza], adapters is probably way better for street shooting. But, well, I haven't tried the RJ adapter. The Kipon adapter makes for pretty easy fast focusing as long as it isn't super critical.

Thanks Jonas. I will probably wait for either the Kipon or Monza's. In the meantime practice makes perfect. Even RJ works OK and I am now practicing without MF assist magnification on the big LCD instead of the LVF. Usually, the first time it snaps into focus is the most precise. Just have to trust my eye the first time.

Marko

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lumix G1 + Contax G 45mm f2.0 via RJ Adapter. It took awhile to get used to the RJ Adapter with a small focusing wheel. Like with so many other things, we have amazing abilities to adapt to something new. Best regards. Leica 77.

Post Thanks / Like

GF1, Contax G 90mm Sonnar, 1/100th @ F2.8, ISO 800, RJ adapter

zivk

Almost the same setup:
    GF-1, Contax G 90mm Sonnar 2.8, 1/400 at ISO 400, RJ adapter

Last edited by zivk; 11th March 2010 at 00:17. Reason: reuploading image so it shows larger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ReeRay and zivk,
    Very nice shots! We would like to see more images produced by Carl Zeiss Contax G lenses. All the best, Leica 77.
    Last edited by Leica 77; 11th March 2010 at 05:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post

Devon, what you see is a reflection from the edge of the cogwheel. The width of the wheel is, moment... 1.7mm. Then there is a 1mm washer right behind the cogwheel preventing it from dig deep into your thumb.

In actual use it works fine. No aching thumb here.

regards,

/Jonas
    Ah. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Monza

What is the status of your G to micro 4/3 adapter?

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am supposed to get an update from the manufacturer today...the first article I sent back for some adjustments...

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...got my Lens Workshop adapter today, and I have mixed feelings. It is indeed solidly built, and for my part, mounting and unmounting lenses is a snap--I had no trouble at all. But the focus action is extremely rough and uneven--sub-FSU, really. It feels very much as though they forgot to lubricate it at all. The only other adapter I have ever paid so much for is Amedeo's Contax-to-Leica, which by comparison is incredibly smooth. Apples and oranges, I know, but for this amount of money I might have expected a better feel. Moving subjects are completely out of the question.

[EDIT: a couple of drops of sewing machine oil ("Zoom Spout") followed by judicious wiping away of the excess and 15 minutes of working the ring have improved the action slightly, but this thing really needs some lens grease.]

That said, image quality is great, and live view makes it possible to really take advantage of the extremely close focus these lenses are capable of. Here are samples, this is on the E-P2. 45mm Planar:

90mm Sonnar:

Last edited by mabelsound; 15th March 2010 at 11:31.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey mabelsound,

I'm curious if you got a bad lens workshop adapter. Jonas who has one of the adapters didn't seem to mention that focusing was that rough.. Hmm.. That's too bad.

Jonas is your adapter just as rough when focusing?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not as bad as all that. But I think I'm going to ask for a refund, unless one of you guys wants it. PM me if you do, I'll knock a few bucks off the price. I'm just comparing it to Leica M and Olympus Pen lenses, and it is never going to measure up in a hundred years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmoe View Post
    Jonas is your adapter just as rough when focusing?
    Gary, let me quote myself from last page:

(...)
    The problem with this combo and critical focusing is the screwdrive AF construction combined with the geared focusing ring. There is a play when switching direction of the ring, there are many mechanical links and sometimes they can offer points with increased resistance.

It's not like anything is jamming or binding but the resistance is uneven and there is a lot of feedback from the fingers for the brain to deal with...
    I wonder if the problem mabelsound describes has something to do with the screwdrive AF in the lenses; I have noticed that my Kipon adapter focusing wheel is completely smooth to turn when mounted to one of my G lenses, with the other one it meets an irritating and increased resistance at a couple of places.

The focusing ring on my Lens-workshop adapter feels fine and smooth when there is no lens is attached to it.

hth,

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

The focusing ring on my Lens-workshop adapter feels fine and smooth when there is no lens is attached to it.
    Mine too. I think the adapters are the same; your description matches my impressions. Both my lenses focus quickly on the G2, though--I just don't think the tolerances of the adapter match those of the lenses. This is no big deal with, say, a Leica M adapter, but it does make a difference here.

skywalker

I suggest you guys waiting for KIPON' new one with big focus ring around the beginning of April,they have already put into mass production,will let G lens holders enjoy the lens doesn't need to suffer the pain for focusing.The price would be around 150US$.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Kipon adapter for about US $ 119. I also have an non-geared adapter on the 90mm lens. It was so much trouble getting it off that I bought the Kipon adapter for the 45mm lens. The geared adapter feels better, but the non-geared one seems more direct (duh, no gears). Both work quite well once you get used to them. Once you get used to one of them the other one is obviously easy to use. I don't notice much difference between the two. I'd definitly go for two non-geared ones (now $80?) for $160 and the convenience of not switching them over buying a single geared one for $150-$200. Once mounted, you just forget about them entirely. I don't have a Contax G camera to use them on anyway. By the way, it looks like KEH no longer has any G1/2 45mm and 90mm lenses in stock. Did they all get bought up already?

Halcyon

Hi everybody,

I'm a newby on this forum but so far as I can see, it's the right place to post for cat lovers , 4/3 nuts and Zeiss G addicts! Enough for me to join in.

I use a RJ adapter and, like Slau, Scho and maybe others, I spontaneously put my left hand above the lens and use my thumb to turn the wheel. Despite the fact it's unusual, focusing like this is convenient to me and works fine.

My main concern with the RJ adapter is that it hasn't been designed to fit exactly on the infinity (it should be about 1.7mm thicker for that): the focusing wheel go needlessly beyond the infinity which, in turn, deprives us of the closest distance shots (0.50m becomes some 0.75m). Has anybody already met this problem and found a solution?

I am looking forward to discovering the monza geared adapter and firmly hope it will not be spoilt from the origin by this drawback.

koji

Welcome abord, Halcyon.

After reading your post, I checked my RJ adapter. Yes, it does focus beyond infinity
    a lot, but I can focus G-Planar 45/2 to 0.49m (apporx. 18" for north americans).
    Thickness of my adapter is just 9.8mm, so total register distance becomes ~29.8mm
    for G-lenses. Yet it can focus to the originally designed 0.5m and beyond infinity too
    is the lens has built-in tolerance/slackness for electrical focus mechanism of G1/G2.

note: The official register distance of Contax G1/2 is 29mm. The lens' resting position
    (i.e. power off stage) is a bit closer to the camera body than their infinity position.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked the minimum focusing distance of my GH1+RJ adapter+45f2.0:
    ~ 49 mm or 19" from the focal plane to sensor surface. It is acceptable to me.

Yes, the G adapter allows to focus quite a bit beyond infinity but I am fine with that. I rather have the focus beyond infinity than cannot reach infinity. It is more critical to me about focusing at the 'mid' distance.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Halcyon

I checked again myself. The closest focusing distance on my GF-1+45/2 is exactly 0.465m (from object plane field to focal plane field). A bit under the 0.49m mentioned by koji and Slau but broadly the same, so each one of you is right. I took my previous measurement on the first time I used the adapter so I guess I inadvertently ceased from turning the wheel when I met a 'hard point'. I apologize for that mistake.

However, the 0.017m missing on RJ adapter for a true adjustment on infinity could give an extra room to focus on close objects. The shortest focusing distance would fall around 0.45m and slightly increase the magnification ratio (#1:3). On one hand, nothing spectacular, I admit. On the other, going beyond infinity is like money down the drain.

Post Thanks / Like

The lens-workshop focusing ring adapter goes just a bit beyond infinity and then down to 0.39m. That's a good choice of adapter dimensions.

A true "infinity" end point is hard to reach and I understand if the adapter maker decides to stay on the safe side. But for these money maybe one could wish...

Post Thanks / Like

mabelsound; it seems as you dumped the Contax G lenses? Did you find anything suiting you better? That's off topic, I know, but I got curious.

Post Thanks / Like

mabelsound; it seems as you dumped the Contax G lenses? Did you find anything suiting you better? That's off topic, I know, but I got curious.
    Yeah, I did, they are superb, but just too kludgy for me to enjoy using on m4/3. Someday I'll get the Leica-M-converted version of the 45mm Planar, though.

For manual lenses on m4/3, I continue to use the Pen 40/1.4 and 60/1.5 with great satisfaction. I will probably spring for a 20/3.5 too, someday, so that I can enjoy scale focusing on the street...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
    (...)
    For manual lenses on m4/3, I continue to use the Pen 40/1.4 and 60/1.5 with great satisfaction. I will probably spring for a 20/3.5 too, someday, so that I can enjoy scale focusing on the street...
    Maybe we shouldn't take this further off topic but instead start a new My Favourite Setup thread. (Some of he Pen lenses are very good; I like my 42/1.2 also if it needs some service now, I never made friends with the 70/2, I have seen wonderful images taken with the 60/1.5.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

mabelsound.....I just got the len-workshop adapter and have used it for a week.

I just wanna get a can of silicon spray and SOAK that sucker. Think of any reasons not to?

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I appreciate all the comments - positive and negative about the various adapters is indeed helpful. On the video, the lens-workshop adapter looked like a great solution. However it looks like an adapter to avoid due the stickiness problem, the difficulty of focusing to due play in the wheel when going in one direction to the other, and the difficulty in accessing the focusing ring due to its location and small width. I am hopeful that Monza who has not rushed his adapter to market, is hopefully quality testing his adapter to avoid the problems discussed with other adapters.

I continue to wait impatiently.

wilson.c

I think the roughness is in the design of the ring focusing mechanism. It's actually a interior gear (focus ring) going to a much smaller gear (normal gear). The gearing makes focusing faster, but I find dialing in exactly is a bit rough, you need to go back and forth a few times to get it right. With the gearing comes increased torque required which I believe is causing some roughness in the mounts. I tried mounting my G lens and focusing from closest to infinity a few times smoothed things out a lot.

With the standard adapter it takes about 4 turns to get from closest distance to infinity, on the focus ring adapter, you cover the 4 rotations of the small gear with only a 120 degree on the focus ring. I believe if the manufacturers can make the inside gear bigger, the setup would perform better, but at the price of size of adapter and the increased angle of movement of the focus ring. Maybe this could be version 3 of this type of adapter ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

If they had geared the focus wheel to a few damped rollers/gears arrayed around the inside of the mount, instead of just mating it to the focus screw only and letting it scrape along the track the rest of the way, it would have been much more smooth. But it would also have cost a lot more money to make.

Post Thanks / Like

It is good to share our experience with various G adapters. It seems like all of them works, and none of them is 'perfect'. But, at least we are buying into a specific adapter with our eyes wide open and hopefully no surprises. Personally, I may go for the Panasonic 45/2.8 macro if I find myself use that focal length a lot. Although I like to ue my G lenses again, I prefer the simplicity and AF with the newer lens, which is one of the main reasons I get into M4/3 system.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

koji

There is a slightly newer version with "focusing ring" from HK with a twist, here is the link.

http://forum.mflenses.com/contax-g-l...,start,45.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    mabelsound.....I just got the len-workshop adapter and have used it for a week.

I just wanna get a can of silicon spray and SOAK that sucker. Think of any reasons not to?

R
    I am slowly changing my opinion of the lens-workshop adapter. I have been carefully spraying tiny amounts of silicon into the area around the focus drive. Dribble a little silicon.....rotate 20X....dribble....rotate. It never got to the point where there was any excess silicon coming out from under the focus ring.

I must say that the performance has increased twofold....I was just about ready to chuck the whole thing, but now am much more satisfied.

R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koji View Post
    There is a slightly newer version with "focusing ring" from HK with a twist, here is the link.

That's the one we've been discussing!

Rich M, glad it's working out better for you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I am supposed to get an update from the manufacturer today...the first article I sent back for some adjustments...
    Robert

Any updates on the G adapter. Please sign me up for one. Yours is the one I really want. all that wonderful G glass just sitting there gathering dust!

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    (...) Yours is the one I really want. all that wonderful G glass just sitting there gathering dust!
    Is there a description of the Robert [monza] adapter somewhere? I wonder if I have missed something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by koji View Post
    Stephen,

Check this > http://cgi.ebay.com/Fotodiox-Pro-Con...ht_7665wt_1167

Or eBay item # 360209331696
    Koji

If you are the same guy, I believe you were working with an adapter from Alex that looked very promising. Is that adapter going to be made available if you know? When and how much?

Thanks for any information you can provide

Woody

koji

That eBay item is not what I meant, I introduced this (focus ring one)

At MFlenses forum, HK300 does bulk buy for us so its price is $138 including
    shipping if you ask him now at "mflenses".

skywalker

KIPON new pattern geared G lens adapter will be realeased next week,I guess this time would be a perfect surprise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by myself
    Is there a description of the Robert [monza] adapter somewhere? I wonder if I have missed something?
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalker
    KIPON new pattern geared G lens adapter will be realeased next week,I guess this time would be a perfect surprise.
    What's up with these coming adapters? Are there any descriptions or images available, or even brief comments on how they work and what they will offer over the existing ones?

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

What's up with these coming adapters? Are there any descriptions or images available, or even brief comments on how they work and what they will offer over the existing ones?

/Jonas
    For me, my life is too short to wait for some unknown . I have been happily using my RJ adapter with my G lenses for a few months now, including a trip to Cuba. It is not like there are no choices as last year any more.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

EOSHD.com

Hello everyone. Great thread, have been following for a while now with great interest. Good luck with the adapter Monza.

I have my first G lens (the 45mm) on it's way now, and rather than wait for a better adapter I chose to go with a Kipon one, ordered yesterday. The seller says it has an improved updated larger gearing, I am not sure if this is the same thing as described above. Will the one coming out next week be an entirely new adapter?

My humble advice is not to wait to use these lenses, just go out and shoot. I'd happily sell the Kipon if Monza's adapter turns out well and is reasonably priced. I think if we're quick to catch onto new adapters coming onto the market, selling the old one would be relatively pain free as long as done soon.

Can't wait to use the adapter. I'll be using my lens for movies on the GH1 mostly.

skywalker

Will the one coming out next week be an entirely new adapter?

Hi,entirely new adapter with focus ring like aperture ring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lumix G1 + Contax G Carl Zeiss 45mm via RJ Adapter. I got used to using the RJ adapter and I am quite comfortable when I focus with it now.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice.

Finally have some geared adapters on the way, I'm crossing fingers that they have all the tolerances and dimensions correct. Teflon coatings should make things smooth-fitting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Very nice.

Finally have some geared adapters on the way, I'm crossing fingers that they have all the tolerances and dimensions correct. Teflon coatings should make things smooth-fitting.
    Earmark me for one please

nxlutz

Quote Originally Posted by ReeRay View Post
    Earmark me for one please
    Hi there,
    Would it be possible to post some pictures of it here when ready to sell? Would very much love to see it.
    Cheers,
    Nick

EOSHD.com

Quote Originally Posted by nxlutz View Post
    Hi there,
    Would it be possible to post some pictures of it here when ready to sell? Would very much love to see it.
    Cheers,
    Nick
    +1

tonyjuliano

Quote Originally Posted by EOSHD.com View Post
    +1
    + a "gazillion"...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nxlutz View Post
    Hi there,
    Cheers,
    Nick
    Yes, it's possible. Heh.