The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

S

skywalker

Nice KIPON adapter hit the market,others want to clear their old version quickly.

P

Punchman

I have been lurking in this thread since it started. Contax G lenses were my favorite 35mm film lenses!
Anyone using the new Kipon Adapter? How easy is it to focus? Also, anyone know approximately how much it is with standard shipping to U.S. in U.S. dollars? Thanks!

P

Punchman

Clarification from my above inquiry. I converted the listed price for the Kipon adapter and it comes out to $90US but don't know what they charge for standard shipping. Hopefully the pricing on all the Contax G to m4/3 adapters will come down as competition increases.

I use a few manual focus lenses with adapters on my G1 so I know the drill. I was wondering how well the wheel works on the Kipon to turn the lens when focusing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what others report.

slau

I just received my RJ G adapter this morning. It took me a bout a few minutes to learn how to use the focusing wheel. Not a problem for me. Yes, there is a certain spot that the focusing is kind of feeling stuck, but hopefully it will improves over time, on both my knowledge and the adapter. Taking off the lens from the adapter is a problem and I had to follow RJ's instruction to do that. Then all went well. Btw, I am planning to use mostly the 45/2 lens and may just leave the adapter on the lens. The 28/2.8 would requires modification that I don't want to do, and the 90/2.8 will be too long to use on my G1/GH1 without IS. Will try to use the 45/2 with at least the M-Rokkor 40/2 side-by-side.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Clarification from my above inquiry. I converted the listed price for the Kipon adapter and it comes out to $90US but don't know what they charge for standard shipping. Hopefully the pricing on all the Contax G to m4/3 adapters will come down as competition increases.

I use a few manual focus lenses with adapters on my G1 so I know the drill. I was wondering how well the wheel works on the Kipon to turn the lens when focusing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what others report.
OK, I was confused by all the different prices being quoted but now I think I understand what's going on.

The price for the Kipon adapter on eBay is US$169 (not $90 and not $140).

The adapter from Shogun Camera is listed for HK$700, which is approximately US$90. However, this is not marked as a Kipon adapter.

My guess is that the Shogun Camera adapter is not a Kipon adapter because:
* it looks very different to the Kipon adapter
* it's not described as a Kipon adapter on the Shogun Camera site
* it's only slightly more than half the Kipon adapter's price.

Last edited:

Jonas

OK, I was confused by all the different prices being quoted but now I think I understand what's going on.
(...)
My guess is that the Shogun Camera adapter is not a Kipon adapter because:
* it looks very different to the Kipon adapter
* it's not described as a Kipon adapter on the Shogun Camera site
* it's only slightly more than half the Kipon adapter's price.
I agree.
The Shogun adapter is of little interest to me; I would like to try a geared adapter.
The Kipon adapter... it's hard to tell anything about it from the eBay ad. Visiting Kipon's homesite is slighty more informative. Judging by the images of the adapter it is geared (and there is a lot of parts in it (check "News"). Their Part No: is DL-MA0047.
Maybe it will pay-off sending them a mail and ask for a reseller list.

I have been thinking of this adapter. I don't know if it would be possible to make it but I would like an adapter with no little wheel to turn all the time. It would be nice if one could mimic a focusing ring by adding a ring round the adapter which in turn affected the small focusing cog-wheel. Maybe it is un-doable, or would become prohibitive expensive, or weak.

EDIT: I'll stay tuned for news on Monza's adapter.

/Jonas

Last edited:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I agree.
The Shogun adapter is of little interest to me; I would like to try a geared adapter.
The Kipon adapter... it's hard to tell anything about it from the eBay ad. Visiting Kipon's homesite is slighty more informative. Judging by the images of the adapter it is geared (and there is a lot of parts in it (check "News"). Their Part No: is DL-MA0047.
Maybe it will pay-off sending them a mail and ask for a reseller list.

I have been thinking of this adapter. I don't know if it would be possible to make it but I would like an adapter with no little wheel to turn all the time. It would be nice if one could mimic a focusing ring by adding a ring round the adapter which in turn affected the small focusing cog-wheel. Maybe it is un-doable, or would become prohibitive expensive, or weak.

EDIT: I'll stay tuned for news on Monza's adapter.

/Jonas
Like a number of us, I suspect, I'm also holding out for Monza's adapter. Although the Kipon adapter does look attractive and well-made.

Maybe Shogun camera have some stock for old cheap version,so they didn't show the KIPON ' picture in the website,I buy KIPON G adapter from them.

Also you can review the discussion as below,

http://www.omuser.com/viewthread.php?tid=109065&extra=page=1&page=4
Thanks for the link to the discussion. Interestingly, someone mentioned that a Japanese adapter could be expected.

However, I couldn't find any reference to the Kipon adapter on the Shogun Camera site. Could you point to the page you purchased it from? Also, if you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost?

P

Punchman

Thanks for the link skywalker. I guess I got confused by the earlier link posted that showed the $700HK$ model. This clears things up and tells me I have to keep waiting to read more usage reports and opinions and see if competition brings down the prices.

S

skywalker

I have some connection in Shanghai,many shop sell KIPON adapter there, price in China mainland all is 880 Chinese RMB,about 130$,I think the price from SHOGUN camera is the best price.

lattiboy

Thanks! Just saved myself from buying the crappy version! $118 is pretty fair.

PS PayPal comes out to $118 after their stupid conversion rates. Ick. I hate them so much.

lattiboy

Does anybody know how long shipping takes with Shogun? I've had some places in HK get to me in 3 days, and some 3 weeks. I'm in Seattle WA.

43eels

I tried to go to Shogun this evening, but by the time I got there it was closed. May try again to check out the Kipon adaptor. Unfortunately I just bought the Fotodiox one.

J

jakieff

Hi

I have a Fotodiox adapter mounted on my Planar 2/35 and I don't get it off anymore. Is there somebody having an idea of what to do ?

kind regards

Jacques