Site Sponsors
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I think you mean 90/2.8, tho.
    Well, it is only 10mm difference

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the 35/2 Planar. These were shot at f/2.

Robert,

I, too, like the Planar 35/2 very much. I think it has similar if not identical optical formula as the Summicron-M 35/2 pre-ASPH.

I look forward to ordering the adaptor from you. When do you think they will become available? Thanks,

Kind regards,

dazedproductions

I am also interested in this, looking forward to hearing more on the eta and cost. I also vote for including a rear cap.

tonyjuliano

Got impatient, my "ring type" adapter just arrived from Hong Kong this morning...

Wish I had waited, the focusing has a decidedly "ratchety" feel.

I'm definitely looking to try Monza's solution.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said earlier, the Monza adapter looks great. Less than a full turn of the wheel to go between MFD and infinity sounds a little little but I would love to try it out.

tonyjuliano, or anyone; I have now used the lens-workshop for some time, not every day but of course more than back when I posted about my first impressions.

I contacted the seller about the gritty feeling of the focusing ring and they said this is normal for the first time, that it becomes better after running it in, that i could return the adapter and they would "run it in" for me. I kept the adapter here and exercised it myself as a Zen moment of contemplation an evening. I decided not to treat it with any oil.

Now the focusing is still not perfect, but it is much better. Maybe I should have posted about this earlier. (OTOH I prefer my Voigtländer 75/2.5 to the Sonnar 90/2.8 so I still don't know what to do with the adapter really. But that's another matter.)

Post Thanks / Like

I worked with my lens-workshop adapter this week in Washington DC. I agree it is a little rough, but I feel that it is much better than the other adapter I have (Photodiox). I am interested in the Monza adapter, it should be interesting to see how the action is on this. One major improvement in the lens-workshop adapter over the Photodiox one is how easy it is to get on and off the lens. Three times I have had to release the lens by using a jewler's screwdriver inside the adapter to release the tap that locks the adapter to the lens when the button would not do it. Weird. At this point the photodiox is on the 45mm and the lens-workshop is on the 90mm.

One thing I noted on Monza's adapter was how he matched the shape of the black plastic portion of the mount that sticks out from the lens barrel. Nicely done! That certainly must cost more to CNC machine versus machine on a CNC lathe, but it looks really nice with the lens mounted.
    Last edited by CPWarner; 3rd April 2010 at 17:03.

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to take apart my Lens-Workshop Contax G to m4/3 adapter to see why it feels so rough. The result was that it was not too great a surprise why. The big ring that focuses things is on the inside a big gear. The roughness comes from the fact that it rubs directly against a the metal hub, and one has metal gear teeth scraping against the metal hub.

Additionally, the smaller gear connected to the drive pin also just turns in a metal pin. There are no bearings anywhere. This is cheap construction for what they are charging, in my opinion. It was a good idea, but bad implementation. They failed to even putt a bushing of something like Delrin between the moving metal parts. That would have improved things dramatically. I also do not believe that this will "wear in" and become dramatically better. I am debating about putting a little grease in this to improve things.
    Last edited by CPWarner; 4th April 2010 at 09:48.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It is rough because the outside gear teeth are not properly designed. For gear to mesh properly, there are both straight and curved surfaces on the gear teeth. They have taken an off the shelf pinion and machined one end to fashion the drive screw, but those outside gears on the ring are not really gears. Refer to the earlier post with the gear design video: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=382

There are very few specialty manufacturers that can machine gears to the high tolerances required, those that can do so, charge accordingly....$$$$.

My first design was similar to this, I'll post some drawings. It would have been a $500 adapter, if not more.

Grease isn't going to help...
    Last edited by monza; 4th April 2010 at 10:01.

Post Thanks / Like

It is rough because the outside gear teeth are not properly designed. For gear to mesh properly, there are both straight and curved surfaces on the gear teeth. They have taken an off the shelf pinion and machined one end to fashion the drive screw, but those outside gears on the ring are not really gears. Refer to the earlier post with the gear design video: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=382

There are very few specialty manufacturers that can machine gears to the high tolerances required, those that can do so, charge accordingly....$$$$.

My first design was similar to this, I'll post some drawings. It would have been a $500 adapter, if not more.

Grease isn't going to help...
    Monza, I did read your post, and yes, I do understand the surfaces that are required to have two gears intermesh. I would need to bring this into work to use a microscope to see if the "gear teeth" in the ring are actually "gear teeth" or something else. So, some of the problem may be due to inappropriate teeth design like you are saying. However, even with the pinion gear removed, it still feels rough when the ring is rotated. What you did not see was the wear marks in the anodization of the aluminum hub where the teeth are wearing into the hub. I am thinking there are burs from machining the ring that they did not remove adequately.

You are right, lubricants will not help.

FaradayCage

Have any of you had the experience of using a manual focus lens on both the GF1 and any of the Olympus micro 4/3rds bodies? The choice is driving me crazy, and I will be using nothing but Contax G lenses, hopefully with monza's adapter. Olympus IBIS on the one hand vs. way better LCD resolution on the GF1, for example. I've also read conflicting reports of how MF assist by way of magnification on the LCDs differs on the different cameras. The choice between GF1, E-P2 and E-PL1 seems a very tough decision.

In any event, what will be fantastic is the opportunity to preset the aperture, preset the focus on a G lens and go hyperfocal for grab shots.

nxlutz

Quote Originally Posted by CPWarner View Post
    I decided to take apart my Lens-Workshop Contax G to m4/3 adapter to see why it feels so rough. The result was that it was not too great a surprise why. The big ring that focuses things is on the inside a big gear. The roughness comes from the fact that it rubs directly against a the metal hub, and one has metal gear teeth scraping against the metal hub.

Additionally, the smaller gear connected to the drive pin also just turns in a metal pin. There are no bearings anywhere. This is cheap construction for what they are charging, in my opinion. It was a good idea, but bad implementation. They failed to even putt a bushing of something like Delrin between the moving metal parts. That would have improved things dramatically. I also do not believe that this will "wear in" and become dramatically better. I am debating about putting a little grease in this to improve things.
    Thank you CPWarner!!! This is a great shot and explanation of what is going on with this item. I think that maybe the people selling this have realized this as it is now selling for US$149.00 but through a different seller. Boy am I glad I did not jump into buyinh one of these.
    Cheers,

FaradayCage

Yes, thanks CPWarner, for saving us trouble and expense!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FaradayCage View Post
    Yes, thanks CPWarner, for saving us trouble and expense!
    Your welcome, save your $ for Monza's adapter...

I do need to add that while the feel is less that I would like for what I paid, it is a more natural motion than the wheel on the Fotodiox adapter that I have. I will wait to see the reviews.

On another note, Lens-workshop is still selling these on ebay for $220, but there is another seller, Ria-store that is selling them for $149. The photos look identical.
    Last edited by CPWarner; 4th April 2010 at 14:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Have any of you had the experience of using a manual focus lens on both the GF1 and any of the Olympus micro 4/3rds bodies? The choice is driving me crazy, and I will be using nothing but Contax G lenses, hopefully with monza's adapter. Olympus IBIS on the one hand vs. way better LCD resolution on the GF1, for example. I've also read conflicting reports of how MF assist by way of magnification on the LCDs differs on the different cameras. The choice between GF1, E-P2 and E-PL1 seems a very tough decision.

In any event, what will be fantastic is the opportunity to preset the aperture, preset the focus on a G lens and go hyperfocal for grab shots.
    I use three manual focus lenses on my GF1, a Contax G 45mm F2.0, Contax G 90mm F2.8, and a Canon 135mm F2.8. The Canon is the most challenging and I only found it to work for me when I used the live viewfinder on the GF1. The effective focal length is very long using the LCD. The 45mm is great as well as the 90mm.

Cliff

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPWarner View Post
    Monza, I did read your post, and yes, I do understand the surfaces that are required to have two gears intermesh. I would need to bring this into work to use a microscope to see if the "gear teeth" in the ring are actually "gear teeth" or something else. So, some of the problem may be due to inappropriate teeth design like you are saying. However, even with the pinion gear removed, it still feels rough when the ring is rotated. What you did not see was the wear marks in the anodization of the aluminum hub where the teeth are wearing into the hub. I am thinking there are burs from machining the ring that they did not remove adequately.

You are right, lubricants will not help.
    From what I can see, they look like shark's teeth. If you do put it under a scope, let us know what you find.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots I took today using the 35/2 Planar. This is my new favorite adapted lens.

Texas wildflowers are out for Easter.

These were all shot with a GF1, the first time I've had the chance to use one. The viewfinder unfortunately is too tiny for me, I much prefer the G1/GH1 EVF.

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots I took today using the 35/2 Planar. This is my new favorite adapted lens.
    It's good to see the 35mm lens performing that well. Better bokeh than usual from Zeiss, but still very much a Zeiss! There is some (and then I mean "some" as in little) swirl effect though. Interesting!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to do well even with some busy backgrounds.

nxlutz

Really looking forward to getting this adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

The 45mm Planar does a fair job on flowers

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Texas wildflowers are out for Easter.

These were all shot with a GF1, the first time I've had the chance to use one. The viewfinder unfortunately is too tiny for me, I much prefer the G1/GH1 EVF.
    Very nice shots with the 35 Planar Robert. This lens has also become a favorite of mine on the G1 and E-P2. Look forward to your adapter when it is ready.
    Carl
    Gallery

FaradayCage

What I see on this thread continues to amaze me. I cannot wait until I can use my old Zeiss Contax G glass on micro 4/3 bodies with the right adapter... which looks like monza's, once it gets off the ground. ReeRay, your shot with the 45mm Planar almost hurts to see, it is so crisp. Now if only I could decide between the E-PL1 and the GF1.

Post Thanks / Like

It's easy to fall in love with these small and so good Planar lenses. Here is a previously posted part of a work in progress, the sloppyweb version:

And as that is a pano the 100%crop gets bigger than usual:

The above is with a G1 and the Zeiss Planar G 45/2 (and thinking of what thread we are in... with a Kipon adapter).

The Planar 45/2 has become my favourite for detailed panos.

regards,

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

I'm imagining the worn off metal falling into my G1

http://hodad66.com Sony A7r,A7II, Sony 70-300G, Rokinon 14/2.8, Leitz Wetzler 35/3.5, Leica R Summicron 50/2 & Elmarit 90mm/2.8, Contax N 24-85 & 70--200mm AND Canon FD 20/2.8, 135/2, 500mm 4.5, Minolta 35/1.8, 45mm/2, Nikon 28-50/3.5, 105/1.8, 180/2.8

Post Thanks / Like

Hey monza, your pics with your adapter really make the 35mm shine. Just curious if you had a chance to shoot a few with the 28mm or 21mm? Though I know we'll see slight smearing in the corners I was just curious ... Thanks!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gary. No, I have not shot with the 21 (don't own one) and the 28 still has the rear element guards, so it won't fit. I haven't decided if I want to trim the guards or not...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmoe View Post
    Hey monza, your pics with your adapter really make the 35mm shine. Just curious if you had a chance to shoot a few with the 28mm or 21mm? Though I know we'll see slight smearing in the corners I was just curious ... Thanks!
    I trimmed the guards of my 28mm copy and compared it to a Distagon 28mm. The corner performance of the Contax G 28mm on mFT is pitiful. Below is the corner crop. Full images are at http://tinyurl.com/yzvpf44.

Attachment 29553

Alex

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Souvorov View Post
    I trimmed the guards of my 28mm copy and compared it to a Distagon 28mm. The corner performance of the Contax G 28mm on mFT is pitiful. Below is the corner crop. Full images are at http://tinyurl.com/yzvpf44.

Attachment 29553

Alex
    Yes, the RF biogons in particular seem to perform very poorly on the m43 platform. I had a similar experience with M mount Zeiss biogons (25 and 35) on my G1.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I remember your earlier posts last year, Carl. That's why I'm quite pleased with the 35 Planar. 70mm effective is not overly long like many adapted lenses, and focus is close, too. Nice combination.

FaradayCage

CPWarner:
    I do need to add that while the feel is less that I would like for what I paid, it is a more natural motion than the wheel on the Fotodiox adapter that I have. I will wait to see the reviews.
    How serviceable has the Fotodiox been to focus? Is it truly difficult to mount and unmount the adapter?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

CPWarner:

How serviceable has the Fotodiox been to focus? Is it truly difficult to mount and unmount the adapter?
    This was the first adapter I tried and I found the Fotodiox very difficult to mount, unmount, and to focus with that tiny un-geared wheel.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    This was the first adapter I tried and I found the Fotodiox very difficult to mount, unmount, and to focus with that tiny un-geared wheel.
    Carl, which geared adapter do you use? Do you find it easier to focus?

Alex

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Souvorov View Post
    Carl, which geared adapter do you use? Do you find it easier to focus?

Alex
    I'm currently using a Kipon adapter, but like everyone else I'm also waiting for Robert's adapter to become available. The Kipon is easier to focus compared to the Fotodiox, but still not that smooth.
    Carl
    Gallery

FaradayCage

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    thanks scho, and CPWarner, a double thank you again for that dissection of the lens workshop adapter. Those metal filings were truly disturbing to see.

Post Thanks / Like

CPWarner:

It is difficult for me to mount and unmount. About three times out of four I can not get the wheel to turn and focus the lens at all. It takes a couple of times focusing from infinity to close and then it works ok. So, I am not taking it off again until I have a better adapter.

roxsan

I am new here, ciao to everybody from Italy ... living close to Venice. I know a beautyfull town called Monza (close to Milan), sure mr. Monza (Robert?) will love it ...
    Minolta owner from '70s (I love my large and old lenses collection and rangefinders). Late in digital (analogical spirit...) with sweety Camedia 5050 and Oly E300. Now I 've just bought Contax G lenses (28-45-90) for a very reasonable price ... when somebody stolen my Contax G same equipment in 1995 (new and expensive), I promised to myself to buy it again. And here I am. Any news about the famous G-μ4/3 last adapter? and which camera "senior" members suggest to this μ4/3 neophyte? thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For those of you holding out for the "Monza" adapter...

Robert was kind enough to loan me a prototype and I've had a little time to play around with it today. The fit and finish is superb and for you Panny owners, the brass focus gear matches the "L" logo nicely It takes a few tries to train your brain how to focus with your left thumb and index finger but I had no problem handling the substantial focus wheel.

4-5 flicks of the wheel (one full revolution) will get you from close focus to infinity and fine focusing works really well - just a slight nudge will get you there. I know Robert is looking to fine tune the components even more so I'm sure we are all in for a treat when this adapter hits the market.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

New to the forum and enjoyed reading the discussion regarding the adaptor for the Contax G lens.

. . . . . look forward to reading the details on when/where/how/$$$ to possibly purchase the Monza adaptor for the Contax G lens . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, yes my getdpi name is derived from Autodromo Nazionale di Monza, my favorite Formula One race track.

Quote Originally Posted by roxsan View Post
    I am new here, ciao to everybody from Italy ... living close to Venice. I know a beautyfull town called Monza (close to Milan), sure mr. Monza (Robert?) will love it ...
    Minolta owner from '70s (I love my large and old lenses collection and rangefinders). Late in digital (analogical spirit...) with sweety Camedia 5050 and Oly E300. Now I 've just bought Contax G lenses (28-45-90) for a very reasonable price ... when somebody stolen my Contax G same equipment in 1995 (new and expensive), I promised to myself to buy it again. And here I am. Any news about the famous G-μ4/3 last adapter? and which camera "senior" members suggest to this μ4/3 neophyte? thank you

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I know Robert is looking to fine tune the components even more so I'm sure we are all in for a treat when this adapter hits the market.
    Thanks Chad, I just got off the phone with the factory, they are going to make a minor change to tighten up tolerances around the thumbwheel, and we'll be good to go, should start getting the first units end of next week, or the beginning of the week after.

This weekend I'll be setting up a website for ordering...

nxlutz

Can't wait!!! Pre-orders???

FaradayCage

Holy Hologon, I don't even have a micro 4/3 body yet, and I'm ready to buy monza's adapter first so I'm good to go with my G glass. Do any of you find the blackout times, on the LCD live view during shutter release, quite long and distracting on the Olympus EPx bodies? This video disturbed me (I understand the manual focus we would use makes the autofocus performance moot).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That blackout in the video looks overlong to me, doesn't look right...generally I don't think the blackout is any different between Panny and Oly.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nxlutz View Post
    Can't wait!!! Pre-orders???
    I'll have a basic site up by the weekend.

nxlutz

Thank you kind sir.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds great!
    http://hodad66.com Sony A7r,A7II, Sony 70-300G, Rokinon 14/2.8, Leitz Wetzler 35/3.5, Leica R Summicron 50/2 & Elmarit 90mm/2.8, Contax N 24-85 & 70--200mm AND Canon FD 20/2.8, 135/2, 500mm 4.5, Minolta 35/1.8, 45mm/2, Nikon 28-50/3.5, 105/1.8, 180/2.8

Post Thanks / Like

This is better than waiting for the ipad! yes!

ludovico

Another italian waiting

gcosmiga

Exclamation Re: Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

And a spanish also waiting.
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like

As the great philosopher Gil Clancy said, "Let's get it on".